Sky Suite - Suite Life?

Jane2357

I think you can see I was just making absurd remarks but I think the sense of entitlement is getting to be a little overblown. Most of the people who sail regularly in suites or are Zenith or close to being there don't find it necessary to broadcast their status.

Agree 100%. We started off booking insides and have slowly worked our way up. We just booked our second Sky Suite and are thrilled to be able to do so. I realize it isn't a "real" suite but us it is and we will likely never be in a position book a RS or PH.

Please don't rain on our parade.

I think you can see I was just making absurd remarks but I think the sense of entitlement is getting to be a little overblown. Most of the people who sail regularly in suites or are Zenith or close to being there don't find it necessary to broadcast their status.

It's nice that they are trying to offer a better experience to people in Suites, but they will certainly be charging a lot for perks that really aren't costing them much.

I see many people with the Zenith Badge shown proudly in these forums, and many also with Elite badges and Elite Plus badges. I see the cruises now where the "highest number of cruses" passenger even walks up on the stage and accepts a bouquet of flowers for being that person! That is broadcasting at its highest form! I read many times on these forums people reporting back after a cruise about how many elites and pluses and zeniths they met on the sailing, so clearly people are broadcasting their status on board. Nothing at all wrong with broadcasting it as far as I'm concerned. I don't see it being at all about "entitlement" so much as using the perks one has been granted based on what they have purchased. The perks are open to any who are willing to pay for the appropriate cabin that delivers those perks. It's not held out just for a limited list of favorite people the cruise line has secretly selected, it's open to anyone who cares to work and save their vacation funds to acquire those perks be that in a suite or after a long history of cruising with Celebrity. Work hard, play hard.

It lets readers determine how appropriate and well-rounded replies may be, giving some sense of validity to those opinions and observations, which is hard to do when researching things these days not he internet. I post my former cruises and upcoming for similar reasons, I get emails from people wanting specific cabin information from my prior sailings and cabins, which I'm happy to reply to. Such as "does the Penthouse Bose radio player have an adapter for the new iPhone connectors or do I need to bring my own".

Yes indeed they are charging a lot more that's for sure. As ships sail full, all they can do now is work on ways to increase the cabin fares themselves to generate additional revenues and profits in the cabin fares department. Adding inconsequential perks helps hem to legitimately charge more for those services and higher category cabins, while still allowing lesser category cabins to remain value priced for those shoe are value conscious and price sensitive. No cruise line os FORCING anyone to pay the high prices for the superior cabins, they are giving the CHOICE to people and with them, delivering a greater array of perks to help add 'perceived value' to those higher category, higher priced, cabins,

I just don't see the reason for calling Sky Suites anything less than "Suites". They get the service of a Butler, the new Suite Dining room after April 15, 2015, reserved seating in the Theater, Bvglari products, complimentary Specialty restaurant dinner, etc.. They get everything except Michael's Club and that IMHO is due to space restrictions.

I see many people with the Zenith Badge shown proudly in these forums, and many also with Elite badges and Elite Plus badges. I see the cruises now where the "highest number of cruses" passenger even walks up on the stage and accepts a bouquet of flowers for being that person! That is broadcasting at its highest form! I read many times on these forums people reporting back after a cruise about how many elites and pluses and zeniths they met on the sailing, so clearly people are broadcasting their status on board. Nothing at all wrong with broadcasting it as far as I'm concerned. I don't see it being at all about "entitlement" so much as using the perks one has been granted based on what they have purchased. The perks are open to any who are willing to pay for the appropriate cabin that delivers those perks. It's not held out just for a limited list of favorite people the cruise line has secretly selected, it's open to anyone who cares to work and save their vacation funds to acquire those perks be that in a suite or after a long history of cruising with Celebrity. Work hard, play hard.

It lets readers determine how appropriate and well-rounded replies may be, giving some sense of validity to those opinions and observations, which is hard to do when researching things these days not he internet. I post my former cruises and upcoming for similar reasons, I get emails from people wanting specific cabin information from my prior sailings and cabins, which I'm happy to reply to. Such as "does the Penthouse Bose radio player have an adapter for the new iPhone connectors or do I need to bring my own".

Yes indeed they are charging a lot more that's for sure. As ships sail full, all they can do now is work on ways to increase the cabin fares themselves to generate additional revenues and profits in the cabin fares department. Adding inconsequential perks helps hem to legitimately charge more for those services and higher category cabins, while still allowing lesser category cabins to remain value priced for those shoe are value conscious and price sensitive. No cruise line os FORCING anyone to pay the high prices for the superior cabins, they are giving the CHOICE to people and with them, delivering a greater array of perks to help add 'perceived value' to those higher category, higher priced, cabins,

Believe it or not, there are a lot of us who actually understand how basic economics work.;)

I just don't see the reason for calling Sky Suites anything less than "Suites". They get the service of a Butler, the new Suite Dining room after April 15, 2015, reserved seating in the Theater, Bvglari products, complimentary Specialty restaurant dinner, etc.. They get everything except Michael's Club and that IMHO is due to space restrictions.

Because a true "suite" has multiple rooms, not a single room.

When I reserve a suite in a hotel, the bedroom better have a door to the living space. If I reserve a "junior suite" then I know there will be no door separating the space, and thus know there will be less privacy if I am sharing the room. Same applies to Sky Suites versus those above them.

There's nothing disparaging about suggesting it should be referred to as a "junior suite" really, is there? In truth the SkySuite is less and offers fewer amenities than suites above it, just like a AquaClass Cabin has more amenities than a Concierge has more than a Veranda, yet all are the exact same cabin just with different prices and amenities (on S class anyway). Just like Royal Suite has more amenities than a Celebrity suite, just like the Penthouse has more than Royal, just like Reflection has more than Penthouse.

From Dictionary . com:

suite [sweet or for 3 often , soot]

noun

1.a number of things forming a series or set.

2.a connected series of rooms to be used together: a hotel suite.

3.a set of furniture, especially a set comprising the basic furniture necessary for one room: a bedroom suite.

4.a company of followers or attendants; a train or retinue.

5.Music.

a.an ordered series of instrumental dances, in the same or related keys, commonly preceded by a prelude.

b.an ordered series of instrumental movements of any character.

I think this is a terrible idea. It's one of the few differences other than cabin size between the Sky Suites and others.

Most other cruise lines call the Sky Suite a Junior Suite. To me a true suite has a door and a wall separating the bedroom from the living spaces.

Let the Sky Suite stand alone as a bridge between standard cabins and proper suites, and leave it value-priced as well for those wanting a lot of the Suite perks, but not the full price those all come with. I'm actually surprised they are even allowing Suite Dining Room access as a perk of the Sky Suite, certainly that's done just so they can add a price increase to the cabin fare with good conscience. Adding Michael's club also, would add even more to the cabin fare itself this limiting even further the distinction between it and other suites.

On RCI the Owners (equal to RS on X) and the Grand Suite (equal to Celebrity Suite on X) are all one open room but are considered true suites. On HAL many of their top suites are the same way. On NCL many of their top suites are all one open room so your definition of a suite does not work with the majority of the cruise lines. Also take a look at the Penthouse on the Marina or Riviera on Oceania.

I see nothing wrong with allowing the Sky suites access to Michael's Club. Especially if the club gets more use than it is now. On our last cruise we visited twice in 13 nights and no more than twenty to thirty minutes total. The only other time that we stopped in was to see the Concierge. There was never anyone in the room when we visited.

IMHO cruise lines should not give the name "suite" to any stateroom that is not considered a true suite. I'm sure that they could come up with another name for this category stateroom.

Edited by cruisingator2

Because a true "suite" has multiple rooms, not a single room.

When I reserve a suite in a hotel, the bedroom better have a door to the living space. If I reserve a "junior suite" then I know there will be no door separating the space, and thus know there will be less privacy if I am sharing the room. Same applies to Sky Suites versus those above them.

There's nothing disparaging about suggesting it should be referred to as a "junior suite" really, is there? In truth the SkySuite is less and offers fewer amenities than suites above it, just like a AquaClass Cabin has more amenities than a Concierge has more than a Veranda, yet all are the exact same cabin just with different prices and amenities (on S class anyway). Just like Royal Suite has more amenities than a Celebrity suite, just like the Penthouse has more than Royal, just like Reflection has more than Penthouse.

From Dictionary . com:

suite [sweet or for 3 often , soot]

noun

1.a number of things forming a series or set.

2.a connected series of rooms to be used together: a hotel suite.

3.a set of furniture, especially a set comprising the basic furniture necessary for one room: a bedroom suite.

4.a company of followers or attendants; a train or retinue.

5.Music.

a.an ordered series of instrumental dances, in the same or related keys, commonly preceded by a prelude.

b.an ordered series of instrumental movements of any character.

I'm not using a dictionary definition, but an operational definition. True, the more you pay the more you get so the PH will receive more than the Royal Suite The RS has more than the Celebrity, etc., but they are still "Suites" in an operational sense. A FV has two separate rooms divided by a door. Does that make it a "Suite"? The dictionary definition might say "yes", but Celebrity says "no". Celebrity creates the definition it wants to use.

I think this is a terrible idea. It's one of the few differences other than cabin size between the Sky Suites and others.

Most other cruise lines call the Sky Suite a Junior Suite. To me a true suite has a door and a wall separating the bedroom from the living spaces.

Let the Sky Suite stand alone as a bridge between standard cabins and proper suites, and leave it value-priced as well for those wanting a lot of the Suite perks, but not the full price those all come with. I'm actually surprised they are even allowing Suite Dining Room access as a perk of the Sky Suite, certainly that's done just so they can add a price increase to the cabin fare with good conscience. Adding Michael's club also, would add even more to the cabin fare itself this limiting even further the distinction between it and other suites.

Allowing Sky suite passengers access to the Suite Dining room was probably done in an effort to alleviate the expanding demand to dine in BLU by all suite passengers, and there are more of them than all other suites. This is especially a problem on Reflection, which has more suites than any other ship. I think X made the right choice in allowing all suite passengers access.

I'm not using a dictionary definition, but an operational definition. True, the more you pay the more you get so the PH will receive more than the Royal Suite The RS has more than the Celebrity, etc., but they are still "Suites" in an operational sense. A FV has two separate rooms divided by a door. Does that make it a "Suite"? The dictionary definition might say "yes", but Celebrity says "no". Celebrity creates the definition it wants to use.

I would actually call the Family Veranda a "Family Suite". How many are there on a typical ship...I've never really paid much attention to them as they don't pop up on the available cabins searches due to their restricted booking requirements. I assume there are not a large number, so would be fine giving them suite perks as well honestly, and charging a bit more for the cabin itself, somewhere above a sky suite but below a Celebrity Suite.

On RCI the Owners (equal to RS on X) and the Grand Suite (equal to Celebrity Suite on X) are all one open room but are considered true suites. On HAL many of their top suites are the same way. On NCL many of their top suites are all one open room so your definition of a suite does not work with the majority of the cruise lines. Also take a look at the Penthouse on the Marina or Riviera on Oceania.

IMHO cruise lines should not give the name "suite" to any stateroom that is not considered a true suite. I'm sure that they could come up with another name for this category stateroom.

I agree, they shouldn't use the word SUITE in the title of these cabins either. Perhaps call them "Owner's Residence" and "Grand Residence" leaving SUITE for the true multiple-room cabins. Feel free to give them suite benefits perks, butlers etc. as they wish, but using SUITE is really a bait and switch as far as I'm concerned.

Or just call it the Penthouse with no further designation on Marina and Oceania.

Agreed.

And I believe, as LewiLewi mentioned, that once the new Suite Dining room is up and running, there will be a lot more use of Michael's Club.

I would actually call the Family Veranda a "Family Suite". How many are there on a typical ship...I've never really paid much attention to them as they don't pop up on the available cabins searches due to their restricted booking requirements. I assume there are not a large number, so would be fine giving them suite perks as well honestly, and charging a bit more for the cabin itself, somewhere above a sky suite but below a Celebrity Suite.

It's not what you call it, or I call it, or how the dictionary defines a term. It's all about how Celebrity defines it. The Celebrity definition is pretty simple: If it has a Butler. it's a Suite. We can discuss the fine points all day, but in the end Celebrity names the baby. Now, they might change some things when they develop a new build. We need to wait and see.

It's not what you call it, or I call it, or how the dictionary defines a term. It's all about how Celebrity defines it. The Celebrity definition is pretty simple: If it has a Butler. it's a Suite. We can discuss the fine points all day, but in the end Celebrity names the baby. Now, they might change some things when they develop a new build. We need to wait and see.

all true. Just talking out loud is all. They've changed the names of the Aqua Suites starting next year to sky suites, they can change names of others if they want to, but from a marketing standpoint realize having the word SUITE in a name automatically gives a cabin extra "clout" and is clearly the reason they do call them suites. I'm just saying from a traditional hospitality-related approach, it's a misuse of the term 'suite', lest anyone new think a sky suite is a true suite, it is not. And neither are the Owners and Grand suites mentioned on other lines.

As to new builds, I really don't see X announcing any new builds for a while, keeping its fleet as-is. Once Century is gone, they have 2 livery's which makes it easy to market, manage, staff and repair. Kind of like how Continental Airlines back in the early 90's went to all Boening fleet to streamline operations, staffing, training and maintenance. I see X staying more as a boutique line, letting Royal Caribbean get all the bells and whistles and varied fleet since it is already quite varied, and getting all the new builds. From a corporate standpoint it makes no difference what brand they paint on the ship's hull, the money all flows just the same to the same bank account at the end of the day.

So let them focus new builds at RCI, and tweak existing ships in the Celebrity livery, keeping them "boutique", and the line where they have the opportunity to raise fares over time more quickly than at Royal, this pushing the value conscious consumer to fill royal's new up and coming capacity and pushing the traveler seeking (and willing to pay for) more luxury to Celebrity. Differentiate the lines even further over time.

Like cruisingator2, I've stopped into Michael's for a drink and found the place deserted. Last April 2013, I ordered an after dinner Grand Marnier, the bartender had to leave at length to find it from anther bar, finally plopped it down with no comment as if he wished we'd leave. No entertainment, no one else ever came in, and it was a creepy experience, so we gave him his wish.

Other times we looked in, it was empty too. A shame since it's an attractive room. So if X isn't making any money on the space, apparently they're hoping to morph a dud into a desirable clubby private perk that will bring them a return by somehow convincing people it adds value to the newly more expensive suites.

I think many cruise lines use the term "suite" as a definition of a level of service - not in reference to having a separate living/sleeping with a door. While Sky Suites are in fact actual suites according to X they do of course come with limited perks compared with Celebrity Suites and higher under the new Suite Life.

In my 1 experience in a Sky Suite - I can't imagine that we could have had more attentive service in any class of cabin - our butler went far above and beyond. We had a comped party (we never even asked - the butler organized it on his own) for a cabin crawl. Free food and champagne & mimosas for 30.

I'm thrilled that Sky's will have access to the Suite dining room because while less costly than a Celebrity Suite - they generally are a substantial amount more than Aqua, Concierge or Veranda. I don't cruise as often as most of you, so next booking I may spring for a Celebrity Suite - just to give it a try - which might be X's strategy to get Sky's to move on up. :cool:

We really enjoy the sky suites in the aft. Celebrity suites you can not see the ocean from your bed. That`s a deal breaker for me. On our last TA our Butler was the best ever. We could not have had better service in the RS or PH. I am now looking forward to also having suite dining on our upcoming cruises.

I like the name sky suite. A sky verandah just doesn't have the same level of appeal to me. The word junior sounds weak to me. While someday I expect we will cruise in a higher category we tend to reserve Aqua or sky suites in the next couple of years.

I expect sky suites will increase in price not be less. And I would not be motivated by access to Michaels Club. It's too hit or miss. I also am thrilled SS will have access to a new dining room. I think it was a weakness of the AQ sky suite debate for us, usually we like Blu better. Depending on how it compares the new dining room may drive us to SS more often.

Just did a rough count on Reflection. There are 21 cabins that qualify for Michael's Club. There are 52 Sky Suites that do not qualify. There are 20 AQ Suites that will become Suites and qualify. Will be going from 21 eligible Suites to 41 after April 15th. Could you imagine the impact on a small venue like Michael's Club if you add an additional 52 Cabins. As I said, Sky Suites are excluded because the venue won't be able to handle even a small percentage of them. Not exactly "exclusive" and destroys the concept.

Now they could change this on a new build by including a venue about 4 or 5 times the size of the current Michael's Clubs on the S Class ships.

I don't cruise as often as most of you, so next booking I may spring for a Celebrity Suite - just to give it a try - which might be X's strategy to get Sky's to move on up. :cool:

I agree, Jane, our once/year cruise is a splurge for us - our first Sky Suite experience was absolutely amazing, but we do want to give the CS a try to have access to Michael's - if that is Celebrity's strategy, it worked. I'm sure we will enjoy every minute of giving it a try! :)

Just did a rough count on Reflection. There are 21 cabins that qualify for Michael's Club. There are 52 Sky Suites that do not qualify. There are 20 AQ Suites that will become Suites and qualify. Will be going from 21 eligible Suites to 41 after April 15th. Could you imagine the impact on a small venue like Michael's Club if you add an additional 52 Cabins. As I said, Sky Suites are excluded because the venue won't be able to handle even a small percentage of them. Not exactly "exclusive" and destroys the concept.

Now they could change this on a new build by including a venue about 4 or 5 times the size of the current Michael's Clubs on the S Class ships.

Are you suggesting that when the Aqua suites become Sky Suites that they will qualify for the new VIP Michael's Club? Are you sure about that statement? It was my understanding that they will not and they will just become Sky Suites with the same benefits as the other Sky Suites.

Are you suggesting that when the Aqua suites become Sky Suites that they will qualify for the new VIP Michael's Club? Are you sure about that statement? It was my understanding that they will not and they will just become Sky Suites with the same benefits as the other Sky Suites.

No he's not. He's supporting the rationale that sky suites won't (and shouldn't) get access due to the number of people.

They WILL NOT qualify since they will be classified as Sky Suites. What I was suggesting is that the numbers clearly indicate why it would be difficult if not impossible to include Sky Suites in the Michael's Club program. If Sky Suites were included you would go from 21 to 93 eligible cabins.

They WILL NOT qualify since they will be classified as Sky Suites. What I was suggesting is that the numbers clearly indicate why it would be difficult if not impossible to include Sky Suites in the Michael's Club program. If Sky Suites were included you would go from 21 to 93 eligible cabins.

Makes sense and that was my understanding. Your first statement said "will be going from 21 eligible Suites to 41 after April 15th. Perhaps just a math error? Or I misunderstood what you were stating.

Bottom line is the Aqua Suites will become Sky Suites on April 15 and they will not qualify.

• 1 month later...
Now that the new Suite Life will come into play in spring of '15 is anyone else thinking that the Sky Suites won't have as much appeal? Yes you'll be able to dine in the suite dining room but you won't be allowed into Michael's. If you meet new friends in the suite dining room and they want to meet you for a drink you'd have to tell them you can't get in to Michaels.

We don't drink alcohol, so Michaels has no appeal to us. Hopefully Sky Suite prices will go down so if most people will desire a higher level suite, then we can continue to get them for a better price. Works for us! :D