maasdam,veendam

irishjim

:eek:

Just had info from a friend who was on board MS Maaasdam- Boston to Boston cruise and she was informed that at the end of 2016 the Maasdam

and Veendam are also to be sold and another 2500 newbuild to take their

place.Sad news indeed.:(

Jim:D:D:D

This is the first I've heard this, and although it's 2nd or 3rd-hand, I can believe it.

It does sadden me terribly, though. I love those S-class ships.

OMG, we too loved the S class ships, and in particular the MS Maasdam. Almost half of our cruise days were spent with her. Heaven only knows, we have a ton of happy memories.

Maybe we should all get together for one last farewell cruise.

Maybe we should all get together for one last farewell cruise.

Ya know....

I already have plenty of cruise time booked for 2015, and yet I'm trying to figure out budgeting to add in 2-3 weeks on the Ryndam to Norway.

And then I could take a good look at whatever is being offered on the Maasdam in the spring of 2016.

Just thinking out loud here.

Wonder when the 2016 schedules will be out???

If rumor control is at all accurate, many of us believed all the "S" ships have been for sale for some time now. I love Maasdam and have spent many a very happy cruise aboard. I surely will miss her. ALOT. So many memories. So many birthdays and anniversaries, holidays DH and I celebrated on that most beautiful ship.

:eek:

Just had info from a friend who was on board MS Maaasdam- Boston to Boston cruise and she was informed that at the end of 2016 the Maasdam

and Veendam are also to be sold and another 2500 newbuild to take their

place.Sad news indeed.:(

Jim:D:D:D

This information was provided by what source?

Well my thought is yes they are up for sale but I don't see Hal parting them out until they build a second ship, which will be a while. The newest build will not be done until 2016, so I would think it will be at least several years after that, before another ship will come out. Maybe 2018 or so.

Just my personal opinion as someone who has sailed on the Veendam twice: I wish the (alleged) new owners the best of luck. In the past few years, the Veendam was not the jewel in the Holland America fleet - maybe new owners could do better. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Currently on the Maasdam and at the Mariners lunch the captain hinted that there would be other new ships built. Last weeks Mariner lunch the captain had said that the Maasdam could be booked for at least two more years. Two different captains as they changed in Montreal.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It would indeed. It will be a sad day when she leaves the fleet!

I've never been on the Maasdam, but from what I hear maybe we should have an ANNUAL farewell cruise until she leaves the fleet. (and may there be several)

Roy

I've never been on the Maasdam, but from what I hear maybe we should have an ANNUAL farewell cruise until she leaves the fleet. (and may there be several)

Roy

LOL! Great idea.

I will be taking a serious look when the 2016 itineraries come out:)

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a CC cruise to say farewell to Maasdam?

Currently on the Maasdam and at the Mariners lunch the captain hinted that there would be other new ships built. Last weeks Mariner lunch the captain had said that the Maasdam could be booked for at least two more years. Two different captains as they changed in Montreal.

It is no secret HAL is building a new ship. They have made formal announcement there is a 99,000 ton ship under construction at Fincantieri Shipyard outside Venice and it will be the first of what they are calling the Pinnacle Class of Ships.

As far as booking Maasdam for two more years, that sounds entirely possible. When a ship is sold, it isn't often it would leave the fleet immediately. Much planning must take place and lots of terms to be met.

If HAL CC'ers have a Maasdam Farewell Cruise, I will absolutely try my best to be aboard. I would be very sad to not sail Maasdam at least one more time. DH and I had so many wonderful times aboard.

[/b]

It is no secret HAL is building a new ship. They have made formal announcement there is a 99,000 ton ship under construction at Fincantieri Shipyard outside Venice and it will be the first of what they are calling the Pinnacle Class of Ships.

As far as booking Maasdam for two more years, that sounds entirely possible. When a ship is sold, it isn't often it would leave the fleet immediately. Much planning must take place and lots of terms to be met.

If HAL CC'ers have a Maasdam Farewell Cruise, I will absolutely try my best to be aboard. I would be very sad to not sail Maasdam at least one more time. DH and I had so many wonderful times aboard.

[/b]

I should have been more precise. The captain hinted that there would be additional ships built in addition to the one under construction.

what I heard originally in October last year on the Transatlantic-Europe was the Maasdam and Statendam were the two to be sold first in 2015.. that was changed to what it is now-- Ryndam and Statendam being replaced by a Pinnacle class ship.. also heard more recently what was posted by others.. Maasdam and Veendam would be next the following year if and when they build a 2nd Pinnacle Class ship.. we shall see..have 20 cruises and 374 sailing days on the Maasdam with another 42 day coming up in October so it will be missed by us

Edited by Stakeout

We would love to sail the Maasdam again. A few years ago, we did a Boston to Montreal. It was great. A cruise back-to-back from Boston on the Maasdam would a great 'grand finale’ for us. We're no ‘spring chickens’ so we are not sure how many more years we can do this. Flying would not be a big problem for us since we have direct flights from Tampa to Boston. Flying was a real unpleasant experience last time (this year) when we flew to Anchorage and returned to Tampa from Vancouver. Too many lay overs and plane changes. Very tiring. As much as we love Alaska, we will not do that again.