The riff raff invade the neptune suites

BumperII

OK - as I mentioned, no one knows exactly how HAL's upsell system works, but it is apparent that some folks do "fall between the cracks" in the system. It has happened to me as well - even booking through a HAL PCC I did not get an upsell offer while my brother (on the same cruise in the same type cabin) did. For some reason I never got the offer - but I called the PCC and got her to track one down for me.

What I was trying to say was that IMO you are MORE LIKELY to get an upsell offer by booking directly through HAL than through a TA, since there are fewer people involved in the transaction (with HAL emailing you directly). Like in most things, the more people involved, the more likely that things will "fall between the cracks".

To your point - booking through HAL will not guarantee that you get an upsell offer (even if others on your cruise do). I just think that it is more likely to happen than if you go through a TA. Of course, this greatly depends on the TA involved.

As to why your TA told you that you were not eligible - who knows?? Could it be a "good excuse" by HAL or your TA for missing it, could it be that others paid more for their cruise than you did and were given more priority or ??? I believe that it happened to you, but I cannot explain why. Perhaps you will get luckier on your next cruise, I truely hope so.

DaveOKC

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding you. Reading your post it sounds like you are saying if you book with Hal you are more likely to get an upsell. I agree. In your next paragraph it sounds like you are saying you are more likely to get an upsell if you book thru a ta. Can you clarify what you mean, either booking with Hal or a ta because I'm having trouble following what you are saying. I'm now booking directly thru Hal because all the TA's I've used to date have not been helpful to me. I can do far better controlling my own booking. Just to reiterate I have rec'd upsells on ALL the cruises I've booked with Hal directly. I think Hal rewards TAs that do a lot of business with them with the upsells. I doubt very much if upsells go out to mom and pop TA's.

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding you. Reading your post it sounds like you are saying if you book with Hal you are more likely to get an upsell. I agree. In your next paragraph it sounds like you are saying you are more likely to get an upsell if you book thru a ta. Can you clarify what you mean, either booking with Hal or a ta because I'm having trouble following what you are saying. I'm now booking directly thru Hal because all the TA's I've used to date have not been helpful to me. I can do far better controlling my own booking. Just to reiterate I have rec'd upsells on ALL the cruises I've booked with Hal directly. I think Hal rewards TAs that do a lot of business with them with the upsells. I doubt very much if upsells go out to mom and pop TA's.

What I was trying to say was that I think you are more likely to get an upsell offer if you go through HAL. IMO, I think HAL sends out upsell offers to cruisers regardless of how they booked, but if you book through HAL directly, you are more likely to see the offer (since it goes right to you, not through your TA).

I think what confuses the issue is that some posters on this board have great TA's who are great on following through on upsells, etc, while other (likely less experienced or very busy) TA's may not even be passing the offers on in a timely manner.

Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I got a bit too wordy.

DaveOKC

What I was trying to say was that I think you are more likely to get an upsell offer if you go through HAL. IMO, I think HAL sends out upsell offers to cruisers regardless of how they booked, but if you book through HAL directly, you are more likely to see the offer (since it goes right to you, not through your TA).

I think what confuses the issue is that some posters on this board have great TA's who are great on following through on upsells, etc, while other (likely less experienced or very busy) TA's may not even be passing the offers on in a timely manner.

Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I got a bit too wordy.

DaveOKC

Thank you for clarifying . I agree with you 100 percent.

I was very fortunate and happy to get my upsell to a Neptune suite. But one thing that struck me a little then, and in reading this thread, is that money does not buy class. I listened to one husband and wife going on and on at the cocktail party about how they ALWAYS pay full whack for a Neptune suite (while giving the eye to others around them:rolleyes:) and the next morning they both came into the Neptune Lounge, hair uncombed, in dressing gowns, teeth unbrushed, evidently just fallen out of bed, grabbed food and sat on the couch - he with knees wide apart (dressing gown, yuk:eek:)..... Yes I know they were the likely exception, but it is so true - money does not buy class.

I was very fortunate and happy to get my upsell to a Neptune suite. But one thing that struck me a little then' date=' and in reading this thread, is that money does not buy class. I listened to one husband and wife going on and on at the cocktail party about how they ALWAYS pay full whack for a Neptune suite (while giving the eye to others around them:rolleyes:) and the next morning they both came into the Neptune Lounge, hair uncombed, in dressing gowns, teeth unbrushed, evidently just fallen out of bed, grabbed food and sat on the couch - he with knees wide apart (dressing gown, yuk:eek:)..... Yes I know they were the likely exception, but it is so true - money does not buy class.[/quote']

Money has never boughten class.

I was very fortunate and happy to get my upsell to a Neptune suite. But one thing that struck me a little then' date=' and in reading this thread, is that money does not buy class. I listened to one husband and wife going on and on at the cocktail party about how they ALWAYS pay full whack for a Neptune suite (while giving the eye to others around them:rolleyes:) and the next morning they both came into the Neptune Lounge, hair uncombed, in dressing gowns, teeth unbrushed, evidently just fallen out of bed, grabbed food and sat on the couch - he with knees wide apart (dressing gown, yuk:eek:)..... Yes I know they were the likely exception, but it is so true - money does not buy class.[/quote']

Funny story! All too true too often!

I have learned that quite often folks who go out of their way to indicate that they have money very often do not really have it - they merely want you to think they do. On the other hand, many truly rich people do not show off their wealth.

DaveOKC

Funny story! All too true too often!

I have learned that quite often folks who go out of their way to indicate that they have money very often do not really have it - they merely want you to think they do. On the other hand, many truly rich people do not show off their wealth.

DaveOKC

Funny, but we could care less about whether somebody has money or not...what they do or did for a living (a question we normally do not ask) etc. What we do care about is whether folks are good company and can carry on an intelligent conversation. When we did a Grand Cruise on the Prinsendam we ate with the same 2 couples for two months. But is was not until nearly the last evening that we found out what one of our table mates did for a living. Nobody at the table cared and it just never came up. And even after the 62 day cruise we have no idea if the other two couples had "money" or were simply paupers like moi :).

Hank

Besides........

Everyone's definition of 'having money' is not necessarily the same.

Someone may have $1 million cash and consider themselves wealthy while someone with 5 times that has a different opinion. :D

We all should know by the time we are adults that wealth is measured in many dimensions other than cash and treasure.

Besides........

Someone may have $1 million cash and consider themselves wealthy while someone with 5 times that has a different opinion. :D

We all should know by the time we are adults that wealth is measured in many dimensions other than cash and treasure.

Your post is quite poignant ... happiness and sharing same with someone dear is worth more than the lottery.

harry

Besides........

attachment.php?attachmentid=315446&thumb=1&d=1402236363couldn't have said it better, thanks Sails. Some people are rich in money, other are rich in things such as family and friends............;)

Edited by PathfinderEss

attachment.php?attachmentid=315446&thumb=1&d=1402236363couldn't have said it better, thanks Sails. Some people are rich in money, other are rich in things such as family and friends............;)

Best of all would be to have both. :)

Funny, but we could care less about whether somebody has money or not...what they do or did for a living (a question we normally do not ask) etc. What we do care about is whether folks are good company and can carry on an intelligent conversation. When we did a Grand Cruise on the Prinsendam we ate with the same 2 couples for two months. But is was not until nearly the last evening that we found out what one of our table mates did for a living. Nobody at the table cared and it just never came up. And even after the 62 day cruise we have no idea if the other two couples had "money" or were simply paupers like moi :).

Hank

I'm surprised at that. I rarely make it thru a meal in the MDR without being asked what I do for a living. People used to think I was a teacher or nurse because I get " so much" vacation time. I guess they must get a lot of time off elsewhere because they sure complain in Calgary because they are so hard done by. I do open dining. I rarely ask what people do for a living.

Edited by cruz chic

Besides........

True, true. And one might point out that individuals with a net worth greater than a million are a dime a dozen. This is the age where we regularly pay six dollars for the good old nickle beer.:D

I agree........

What is a million dollars worth today? :)

Sounds like a lot for those of us who are close to or are officially seniors but in today's world, it isn't worth what it used to be. ;) :D

I sound like the TV ad........ how much is enough for a comfortable retirement? How long will you live? How much will you need? Sigh.......

I'm surprised at that. I rarely make it thru a meal in the MDR without being asked what I do for a living. People used to think I was a teacher or nurse because I get " so much" vacation time. I guess they must get a lot of time off elsewhere because they sure complain in Calgary because they are so hard done by. I do open dining. I rarely ask what people do for a living.

About forty-five years ago when we started traveling outside North America we quickly realized in most cultures it is considered rude or prying to ask about one's work. We found it refreshing because often when you ask somebody about their work it can start an entire conversation about work. DW is a retired teacher and if she meets another teacher guess what they discuss. So we seldom to ever ask about somebodies work unless they bring up the subject. On that HAL cruise, although all of us at that table was from the USA, only one person discussed his old job (which was quite interesting).

So what do we discuss as an ice breaker on a cruise? Usually travel :).

Hank

About forty-five years ago when we started traveling outside North America we quickly realized in most cultures it is considered rude or prying to ask about one's work. We found it refreshing because often when you ask somebody about their work it can start an entire conversation about work. DW is a retired teacher and if she meets another teacher guess what they discuss. So we seldom to ever ask about somebodies work unless they bring up the subject. On that HAL cruise, although all of us at that table was from the USA, only one person discussed his old job (which was quite interesting).

Hank

I wonder if people don't talk about it because they just assume everyone is retired when it's an older crowd. No offence but most of the people I meet on Hal are older than I am. I'm just observing not complaining. I feel as though I'm and old soul.

Hank

Conversation seems like it's becoming a lost art. Probably because most people don't practice it much.

In many situations, asking what someone does isn't a bad conversation starter, especially in a work-type environment (business reception or dinner, etc.). And I know I've been asked what I do when traveling in Europe -- although probably mostly in business situations again. On vacation, on a cruise ship, maybe not so much.

And I was told that one never, never asks how much someone paid for something, whether that something is a fancy new watch, a vacation home or a cabin onboard ship.

I also would consider travel a good ice-breaker topic, but interestingly I have read a lot of times on these boards that people think others who talk about travel are just "bragging." Sometimes one can't win. :o

Conversation seems like it's becoming a lost art. Probably because most people don't practice it much.

In many situations, asking what someone does isn't a bad conversation starter, especially in a work-type environment (business reception or dinner, etc.). And I know I've been asked what I do when traveling in Europe -- although probably mostly in business situations again. On vacation, on a cruise ship, maybe not so much.

And I was told that one never, never asks how much someone paid for something, whether that something is a fancy new watch, a vacation home or a cabin onboard ship.

I also would consider travel a good ice-breaker topic, but interestingly I have read a lot of times on these boards that people think others who talk about travel are just "bragging." Sometimes one can't win. :o

Since alot of passengers on HAL are older than 66, I think most people assume they are retired, so asking what someone does is sort of unnecessary. Normally to break the ice I will ask where someone is from. I traveled alot for business in the US, so I can often relate to the area the person is from, so the conversation goes from there.

DaveOKC

I have booked directly with PCC at HAL for years. I pay full price for the "S" and "SA" cabins. No upsells for me.

As you said already in post 134. :rolleyes: And as someone else pointed out, there's not much room for an upsell from an "S."

We are booked into our first Neptune suite, sailing in 4 days. Yay! About 4 weeks ago I got an email from HAL offering me an upsell to the Pinnacle suite. At first I was excited, but then I thought about the cost, an extra $1300.00 each, and figured we would stay with our Neptune.

FYI - we booked directly with HAL and paid full price for the Neptune.

As you said already in post 134. :rolleyes: And as someone else pointed out, there's not much room for an upsell from an "S."

Not much room but there is a higher category and I know for sure we have been aboard sometimes when one or more Penthouse was not occupied.

Lots of folks hope for a low cost upsell from an Ocean View to a verandah..... DH and I had no problem thinking a low cost upsell from and "SA" to a Penthouse wouldn't be all bad. It's the same principle, isn't it?

Edited by sail7seas

Since alot of passengers on HAL are older than 66, I think most people assume they are retired, so asking what someone does is sort of unnecessary. Normally to break the ice I will ask where someone is from. I traveled alot for business in the US, so I can often relate to the area the person is from, so the conversation goes from there.

DaveOKC

That's usually what we ask, or have been asked, when meeting others for the first time - especially dinner companions. It is a great conversation-starter, and not intrusive.

We are booked into our first Neptune suite, sailing in 4 days. Yay! About 4 weeks ago I got an email from HAL offering me an upsell to the Pinnacle suite. At first I was excited, but then I thought about the cost, an extra $1300.00 each, and figured we would stay with our Neptune.

FYI - we booked directly with HAL and paid full price for the Neptune.

Congratulations on the upsell offer.

I would have done the same as you. I think $1300 more than I would be apt to spend but you didn't say how long your cruise is.

Congratulations on the upsell offer.

I would have done the same as you. I think $1300 more than I would be apt to spend but you didn't say how long your cruise is.

It's just a 7 day, unfortunately. I figured that's a lot of extra money for only a 7 day cruise.