The riff raff invade the neptune suites

BumperII

When we are on board, we never discuss what we paid and very, very seldom what type of cabin we in. It is the same as religion, politics, sex, work, health issues, and grandchildren for us....subjects we do not discuss.

When we are lucky enough to travel in a Neptune suite, we soon learn which other people are also in Neptunes (see them in the NL or Pinnacle for breakfast), so there is no need to ask anyone if they are in one.

DaveOKC

I see this used as a reason for not booking a suite all the time. The question that I always ask myself is do you not spend any time in the room because its an small stateroom on a lower deck? :p

I really don't think that is the case with us. We stay very busy both night and day while on a cruise, whether it's a port day or a sea day. It seems illogical to me to go on a cruise and sit around in a stateroom. I'm sure we'll greatly enjoy our Princess mini-suite; and, who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. However, as always, we are looking forward to all the shipboard activities that we love so much; and I doubt that we'll change what we do simply because we have a larger stateroom

Amen to this! The sofa is not comfortable at all, and you're right, you slide all over!

I'm 5'1" ... I've yet to figure out how to sit on that "thing." I can't even get comfortable enough to nap on one. Our last cruise on the Zuiderdam we had "new looking" beige chairs in front of the sofa - and they were actually comfortable for me. I was thrilled!

Love it! You also get the same view of the ocean, the same deck, dining room and if you want to pay extra, the same speshul dining room.

If HAL didn't want the "riff raff" they wouldn't sell those rooms and go half empty.

I guess it depends on the ship, but not the same view of the Ocean nor the Same sized balcony nor the same dining room for breakfast. No $ will buy you in for breakfast.

I have been in both cabins so I think i can safely make these statements

If HAL did what the other lines do, and offered perks or reduced pricing, they could easily fill these cabins,

Having paid full price more times than I can count for the suites, I think I can make this statement from experience,

I haven't met any riff raff yet - just great people :)

I guess it depends on the ship, but not the same view of the Ocean nor the Same sized balcony nor the same dining room for breakfast. No $ will buy you in for breakfast.

If HAL did what the other lines do, and offered perks or reduced pricing, they could easily fill these cabins,

Having paid full price more times than I can count for the suites, I think I can make this statement from experience,

What a wonderful post to wrap up this thread. We love cruising and the wonderful people we have met on board, including fellow passengers and crew members. Not only have we never met any riff raff, we have never met a failure either. We have met an upwardly mobile generation representing a broad cross section of this continent.

To all who posted here, thank you for your participation. We hope you all keep on cruising and we look forward to meeting you on board.

Bumper and SF49erfan

With regard to the matter of discussing cruise prices, we never do that. However, we have, on occasion, commented that we've taken advantage of an upsell.

Curious if folks here would consider if mentioning "upsell" would be considered inappropriate?

What's an upsell? And how do you get one?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Edited by knittinggirl

I really don't think that is the case with us. We stay very busy both night and day while on a cruise, whether it's a port day or a sea day. It seems illogical to me to go on a cruise and sit around in a stateroom. I'm sure we'll greatly enjoy our Princess mini-suite; and, who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. However, as always, we are looking forward to all the shipboard activities that we love so much; and I doubt that we'll change what we do simply because we have a larger stateroom

Here here! On our last HAL cruise (Veendam) we had dinner, one evening, with a couple who had splurged on a "S" category suite and they seemed to enjoy telling us all about their suite (they were quite pleased). They then told us that they were spending a lot of time in their suite because they "wanted their monies worth." As we were finishing dinner they invited the entire table (4 couples) to their suite after dinner where they said they planned on watching a movie. Everyone said "no thanks" because we were all planning on spending on going to the main show. They then invited us over the following evening before dinner time (we were doing Select dining) and everyone made their excuses. The lady (in the large suite) then mentioned that they usually spent most of their onboard time along in their suite watching movies on the DVR.

One thing i love to do is sit on the balcony and drink wine at night. This is way more enjoyable to me then seeing some of hals entertainment. I have a friend how cruises on RC and loves the ice show. I get enough cold at home. We all like different things for different reasons. To have a nice room is important to me. Ive spent a lot of my time in inside rooms so i do know what its like.

No i don't think it does depend on the ship. One thing you need to have done is been on a ship. That helps.

Amen to this! The sofa is not comfortable at all, and you're right, you slide all over!

My DH had many a delicious nap on those sofas. :D

He really enjoyed stretching out late afternoon and catching a few zzzz's.

Loved and laughed my way through this whole thread! We lucked out with HAL once and were given a last minute, pay for, upgrade to a suite. Needless to say, this is not how we normally travel, but the suite was lovely as well as all the amenities. Without thinking I walked into the neptune lounge, just to get a drink and little snack, and was wearing a Carnival tee-shirt. A fellow passenger approached me and demanded to know why I would be wearing "that tee-shirt." Not really feeling I needed to offer an explanation, I simply said, well Carnival does own HAL! Just so you know, we do enjoy HAL a lot, but we also travel on other lines too and we "poor folk" are perfectly fine in just a plain balcony cabin. :)

Just for the sake of accuracy.....

Carnival Cruise Line does not own HAL.

Carnival Corporation (I doubt there is a t-shirt :D) owns HAL, Carnival, Princess, Cunard, Costa, Seabourn, P&O among other cruise lines.

No i don't think it does depend on the ship. One thing you need to have done is been on a ship. That helps.

:confused::confused:n there is a huge difference on the Prinsendam including a verandah on the Neptune lounge and. If you are on the port side you can watch the captain and crew

When yo sail on her we shall talk - hopefully on the same cruise:D

Not only have we never met any riff raff, we have never met a failure either. We have met an upwardly mobile generation representing a broad cross section of this continent.

Well I'm glad you don't think you met any Riff Raff. John thought he was in that category and not fancy enough for our suite, lol.

This is what I think of though when you say Riff Raff...

17muhyu71mvdpjpg.jpg

I only played his sister Magenta way back 25 years or so ago. :p

magenta1.jpg

(Rocky Horror Picture Show for those that aren't familiar with it)

One thing i love to do is sit on the balcony and drink wine at night. This is way more enjoyable to me then seeing some of hals entertainment. I have a friend how cruises on RC and loves the ice show. I get enough cold at home. We all like different things for different reasons. To have a nice room is important to me. Ive spent a lot of my time in inside rooms so i do know what its like.

Where is that like button :D

:confused::confused:n there is a huge difference on the Prinsendam including a verandah on the Neptune lounge and. If you are on the port side you can watch the captain and crew

When yo sail on her we shall talk - hopefully on the same cruise:D

What I was trying to say is that there is a difference between an oceanview, inside and balcony. Until I had my first balcony, I had no idea what I was missing. I simply don't understand how anyone can be an "expert" before you try anything. It's like me telling people how Europe is. Yeah, that would work since I've never been.

Some of the crew in all of the ships call that stuff "Chateau Migraine". I think it's weaponized!

Here in this country the wine I referred to, would be called "gut rot".

Edited by erewhon

We also love sipping wine on our balcony. But on HAL ships there is a fair chance the flavor of the wine will be tainted by the smell of cigarette and/or cigar smoke. At least in the showroom there will be no smoke :). Also agree with you about Inside Cabins (we have had our share of these over forty+ years of cruising).

Hank

What's an upsell? And how do you get one?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

The cruise line will sometimes offer an upgrade to a higher category cabin, for a price which is generally less than what you would have paid if the higher category had been booked originally. The offer is made through your TA, or presumably by the cruise line itself if you booked with it directly (we don't book direct so I don't know for sure).

As to how you get an upsell offer, that is a good question. Obviously it will depend on availability, but I don't know how the cruise line decides to whom it makes such offers.

We're just back from a cruise on Noordam in a SS via a decent upsell. It WAS a nice experience, but it felt too big. We normally sail OV/balcony (on Vista/Signature ships) I suppose I could get used to it, but remember I'm the one that loves the smaller "VQs" (now VBs I think). The one thing that made a difference was the real table on the balcony. MUCH easier for room service.

Re revealing your price: As an upsell we were informed that we would not receive the "suite days" towards our Mariner status.

And it's wonderful we have so many options so we're all happy.

Re revealing your price: As an upsell we were informed that we would not receive the "suite days" towards our Mariner status.

And it's wonderful we have so many options so we're all happy.

I have no idea how this works, but I just checked our mariner status. They credited us with suite bonus days for both upsells. We were booked originally in a Vista "suite" before the upgrades.

Getting to 4 star is what is important. The comlimentary laundry and half price specialitiy restaurants are sweet perks. Pun intended.:D

Edited by BumperII
spelling

We also love sipping wine on our balcony. But on HAL ships there is a fair chance the flavor of the wine will be tainted by the smell of cigarette and/or cigar smoke. At least in the showroom there will be no smoke :). Also agree with you about Inside Cabins (we have had our share of these over forty+ years of cruising).

Hank

Yup, agree with you on that. I still hope that Hal will end smoking sooner rather than later on balconies.

I have no idea how this works, but I just checked our mariner status. They credited us with suite bonus days for both upsells. We were booked originally in a Vista "suite" before the upgrades.

Getting to 4 star is what is important. The comlimentary laundry and half price specialitiy restaurants are sweet perks. Pun intended.:D

That is why you got double points. You were in a vista suite prior to the upsell. If you were in an oceanview for instance you would not have seen the double points.

We are "riff raff" too !

Years ago we were on a 7 day cruise on the Ryndam; inside cabin, A Deck; #776. For whatever reason we were invited to all the events held for Suite people only. At one of the Captain's Cocktail Party's for Suites, a gentleman came up to me and told me how nice this Party was because "we did not have to mingle with those other people". :eek:

I told him I was one of those other people.

Except for that gentlemen everyone was very nice.

We never found out why we received this VIP service except the Hotel Manager said we were "Sweet" people.

What I was trying to say is that there is a difference between an oceanview, inside and balcony. Until I had my first balcony, I had no idea what I was missing. I simply don't understand how anyone can be an "expert" before you try anything. It's like me telling people how Europe is. Yeah, that would work since I've never been.

We are so looking forward to our first balcony. We make the insides work just fine but I know I will love sitting out on our balcony for 20 mornings while 3of4 thank their lucky stars that I have a place to go :p

baby steps along the path. I would love a Neptune Suite, but while we travel as 4, they just aren't on the agenda for us.