The riff raff invade the neptune suites

BumperII

I don't think HAL offered us the opportunity to buy an upgrade because of my boyish good looks. They put the offer out to everyone in the Vista staterooms. They do it to help the bottom line for that cruise and at the same time to provide a sample of the Neptune service to those who may be considering booking Neptunes at full price in the future. The process identifies high potential future full price buyers. Hal knows we will get "spoiled" and likely start booking full price in the next few cruises. They are targeting a market segment in hopes of future bookings.

HAL knows the business. We book two or three cruises each year. HAL fills sixteen ships every week. I think they are pretty good at what they do.

Edited by BumperII
clarification

One thing i love to do is sit on the balcony and drink wine at night. This is way more enjoyable to me then seeing some of hals entertainment. I have a friend how cruises on RC and loves the ice show. I get enough cold at home. We all like different things for different reasons. To have a nice room is important to me. Ive spent a lot of my time in inside rooms so i do know what its like.

Cheers! :)

I don't think HAL offered us the opportunity to buy an upgrade because of my boyish good looks. They put the offer out to everyone in the Vista staterooms. They do it to help the bottom line for that cruise and at the same time to provide a sample of the Neptune service to those who may be considering booking Neptunes at full price in the future. The process identifies high potential future full price buyers. Hal knows we will get "spoiled" and likely start booking full price in the next few cruises. They are targeting a market segment in hopes of future bookings.

HAL knows the business. We book two or three cruises each year. HAL fills sixteen ships every week. I think they are pretty good at what they do.

Are you sure they offered it to everyone at that category? That is unusual. I know I was interested in a upsell to a Neptune for a cruise I took on the Eurodam last year. Many folks on the roll call were approached. We are had the same category. My ta called and she was told I wasn't eligible for the upsell. It also happened to me on the Veendam a few years prior.

I get the impression that the PS is very impressive. Did you accept the offer?

Yes we did. We were three with a disabled person. It made the cruise very comfortable for all of us. That's when we had the uninvited guest.

I don't know if we would have accepted the upsell if it were just the two of us.

Given the circumstances, it was a no-brainer.

Besides, it was the Maasdam. There was only one Pinnacle Suite so no one was going to get angry that they paid full price for the other one or decide we were riff-raff!:D

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Well we (hubby and daughter) just got back from our 7 day cruise to Alaska today and enjoyed every single (well almost) bit of it!!! I have to admit that I got lucky to get an upsell to Neptune suite as I originally booked an SS suite, and we had one of the S aft wrap suite. It was Awesome!!! Thanks to everyone for telling me to grab the offer. My hubby couldn't believe how huge the balcony was. All the perks that you get from being on a suite is just great in our opinion. Both the ladies in the lounge were very helpful and will do everything to make your vacation wonderful each and every day. We had the high tea and hot and cold apps almost everyday ( we had to cancel the last 2 since we are getting too full to eat the real dinner each night). Free laundry service is great also, no need to bring home a bunch of dirty laundry which just depresses me after ending my vacation.

As far as seeing riff raff in the NS lounge we didn't really stay there very long as we both love to sit on our balcony instead of lounging with other suite passengers.

That being said, even though the Neptune suite is something that we would love to have every single time, paying full price for this one is just too much for us. We just booked our Asia cruise next year and it will cost us an arm and leg to book NS suite at this point. Hoping for another upsell, but I highly doubt it will happen. I should start buying lottery tickets!

I get the impression from this forum that just about everyone occupying a Neptune Suite has received an upsell. But this isn't likely considering that such accommodation is sometimes sold out months in advance.

Next year we are taking our first HAL cruise in decades and we have splurged on a Neptune Suite as it is early in the season for Alaska and the fare seems reasonable. The suite appears to be very close in size and layout to the Queen's Grills suites on Cunard that we have had - and even bigger than the Princess Grill staterooms. It provides many of the perks that we have enjoyed on Cunard except, of course, to the biggest advantage which is the Princess or Queen's Grill single-seating restaurant. But the fare is significantly less than Cunard's Grills so I am content with this. After all, we don't always travel in the Grills:). The Neptune Lounge appears to be similar in size and location (inside) to the Concierge Lounge on the Queen Mary 2. I notice that HAL provides a few perks to suite passengers that Cunard does not, the complimentary laundry and dry cleaning being of most interest to us.

I think there are quite a number of posters here who pay full price for the Neptune Suites. I, for one, have never been lucky enough to be offered an upsell to the Neptune Suites when not paying for one. We were, however, offered the upsell to the Pinnacle Suite after paying full price for the Neptune Suite.

Terri

All of our many cruises in Neptune Suite (formerly Deluxe Veranda Suites) we paid the full price. No upsells for us.

I get the impression from this forum that just about everyone occupying a Neptune Suite has received an upsell. But this isn't likely considering that such accommodation is sometimes sold out months in advance.

Our first cruise was in a category A on the Volendam, we had no idea that the Neptune Suites existed, until one day when walking along the hallway a door to one of the NS was open with the steward cleaning, we paused to look, and DH commented we will have one of those rooms next time.

Since then for each cruise, we have always paid full price for the Neptune Suites.

Our next cruise which will be in October,(34 days) the Neptune Suites have been sold out for a few weeks.

Last year on our Alaska Denali cruisetour, we got a double upsell. Went from an oceanview to verandah about two weeks from start date. Then while having lunch at DFW before boarding the flight to Anchorage, I get an email with upsell offer to Neptune Suite. Called right away and took it. I know the ship was not at capacity (final trip of the season) so that probably had a lot to do with it. We truly enjoyed the size of the cabin, the huge balcony and being able to invite friends to enjoy ithe open space with us. All that said, I'd probably take an upsell again if offered, but couldn't think about popping for the full fare.

Are you sure they offered it to everyone at that category? That is unusual. I know I was interested in a upsell to a Neptune for a cruise I took on the Eurodam last year. Many folks on the roll call were approached. We are had the same category. My ta called and she was told I wasn't eligible for the upsell. It also happened to me on the Veendam a few years prior.

Actully, no, now that you mention it, I'm not absolutely sure. I've read a number of posts about TAs telling pax that they were not elgible. That would have been better phrased as "my impression is" rather than an absolute statement.

We have never inquired or asked for an upsell. My sense is that for the most part upsells are a "Don't call us, we'll call you proposition." HAL has contacted us through our TA to offer an upsell to a higher category three or four times. These just happened to be the two times we decided to accept. The first upsell was an offer we couldn't afford to turn down, $100.00 pp, seven day cruise. DW was delighted, so when the second offer came at $500.00 pp, 14 day cruise. It was more or less a "Keep mommy happy" decision.

If, on a future booking DW wants a Neptune Suite, I will certainly comply. After putting up with me all these years she certainly deserves it.

Bumperii's DW (that would be me:) )would rather spend money to have adventures on shore - float planes, rides through the rain forest, whale/otter watching, etc - than be in a Neptune Suite. It was a nice experience but not a necessity.

Terry

Edited by SF49erfan

Very funny thread as I share the lack of taste for HAL's gifted bubbly.

I don't blame HAL for providing upsells at the last moment - better they get some extra revenue than up the price of cruising. Further, those who are fortunate enough to take advantage of upsells do so as a random offer. One who pays full price is guaranteed their cabin and their cruise. Those who get upsells would have been satisfied with what they booked but are fortunate enough to take advantage of a HAL business decision - bravo for them!

If one has to scrape to book a NS, I strongly encourage them to do so ... there are some very nice riff/raff that would share the experience and add to the memories. Further, it is quite fun to spend one's hard earned money on something enjoyable (matter of opinion, I know) rather than leaving it all to ones heirs

harry

Edited by Harry1954

DH would certainly qualify as a man requiring simple pleasures; but he will save for the pleasure of a NS . If he can't cruise for two years, or more , in order to then choose his suite, and itinerary, so be it. We will board the Statendam in a month, and he is savouring the anticipation. I, on the other hand, will be happy to cruise in an Inside, but must say that I am looking forward to joining the riff-raff in the NL.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actully, no, now that you mention it, I'm not absolutely sure. I've read a number of posts about TAs telling pax that they were not elgible. That would have been better phrased as "my impression is" rather than an absolute statement.

We have never inquired or asked for an upsell. My sense is that for the most part upsells are a "Don't call us, we'll call you proposition." HAL has contacted us through our TA to offer an upsell to a higher category three or four times. These just happened to be the two times we decided to accept. The first upsell was an offer we couldn't afford to turn down, $100.00 pp, seven day cruise. DW was delighted, so when the second offer came at $500.00 pp, 14 day cruise. It was more or less a "Keep mommy happy" decision.

If, on a future booking DW wants a Neptune Suite, I will certainly comply. After putting up with me all these years she certainly deserves it.

I think it's a very much don't call us, we'll call you situation although posters have posted otherwise. Now that I'm booking directly thru Hal I've rec'd an upsell on every cruise. Some of them have been very reasonable, some of them stupid expensive. Maybe it's a fluke but I rarely saw upsells thru ny ta even when they were requested of Hal. I even had a situation when they didn't want to let me pay them $650 to upgrade from an oceanview to a balcony. They did change their mind but according to them it was because I'm a 4 star:rolleyes:.

I think it's a very much don't call us, we'll call you situation although posters have posted otherwise. Now that I'm booking directly thru Hal I've rec'd an upsell on every cruise. Some of them have been very reasonable, some of them stupid expensive. Maybe it's a fluke but I rarely saw upsells thru ny ta even when they were requested of Hal. I even had a situation when they didn't want to let me pay them $650 to upgrade from an oceanview to a balcony. They did change their mind but according to them it was because I'm a 4 star:rolleyes:.

I have no way of knowing for certain, but I suspect that some TA's are better than others at getting upsells. Since the upsell offer has to go through your TA, the TA has to read it, contact you, explain the deal to you, get your response (may take awhile) and then get back to HAL. If the TA is busy, or unreachable, it is easy for the upsell offer to "fall between the cracks" and never get to you.

If you book directly with HAL (or through one of their PCC's) the email comes directly to you and you respond to HAL directly. Much faster and likely fewer issues.

This is likely why more HAL direct bookers seem to get more upsell offers. I doubt that HAL favors one group over another, but rather it just works better one way than the other.

Also, if you are 2-3 weeks out from your sail date, do not be afraid to call your TA or PCC and have them check with HAL on upsells. This worked for me on my last cruise (but I had to be a bit of a pest to get it done - it was worth it!).

DaveOKC

I have no way of knowing for certain, but I suspect that some TA's are better than others at getting upsells. Since the upsell offer has to go through your TA, the TA has to read it, contact you, explain the deal to you, get your response (may take awhile) and then get back to HAL. If the TA is busy, or unreachable, it is easy for the upsell offer to "fall between the cracks" and never get to you.

If you book directly with HAL (or through one of their PCC's) the email comes directly to you and you respond to HAL directly. Much faster and likely fewer issues.

This is likely why more HAL direct bookers seem to get more upsell offers. I doubt that HAL favors one group over another, but rather it just works better one way than the other.

Also, if you are 2-3 weeks out from your sail date, do not be afraid to call your TA or PCC and have them check with HAL on upsells. This worked for me on my last cruise (but I had to be a bit of a pest to get it done - it was worth it!).

DaveOKC

I have booked directly with PCC at HAL for years.

I pay full price for the "S" and "SA" cabins. No upsells for me.

Edited by sail7seas

I have booked directly with PCC at HAL for years.

I pay full price for the "S" and "SA" cabins. No upsells for me.

Sail, since you start out with a Neptune Suite, there isn't much room for an upsell. However, maybe someday you will get a chance at that illusive Pinnacle Suite upsell/ even rarer upgrade someday.

DH wouldn't have minded a low cost upsell to PS :rolleyes: ...... Out of all the times he paid for the "S" and "SA" just once would have been nice.

Too late now. It wouldn't interest me to have it on my own.

Lest I sound totally unappreciative which is not the case, HAL most certainly has many times over thanked us for our loyalty in some strikingly amazing ways. I would not want to be misunderstood and have anyone think we were ungrateful. HAL has been very good to us.

Depending upon what cruise/ship/with whom I may or may not be sailing, I might consider booking "SS" or "SY" now and would be nice to once gett an upsell. :) It's just I've never been in any cabin but the Neptune (and PS)

Edited by sail7seas

Our cruise for later this summer has Neptune Suites already sold out, and it's a little early for upsell offers. So I would assume these were all booked at full fare.

That would be a fair assumption though depending how far out you are talking, it could be a TA had a hold on a certain number of cabins including a/some Neptune Suites. If they have not sold by a set date, they must be turned back over to HAL to sell.

There are also cancellations for various reasons so a/some could become available for that reason.

If you are speaking of Maasdam or Veendam doing Canada/New England, there are only about 35 Neptune Suites and they tend to sell early at high prices because of the desireable itinerary and ship size which many like.

DaveOKC

So please explain to me when my ta called that Hal told her I wasn't eligible. It's got nothing to do with falling thru cracks. I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe everyone is not contacted for upsells. Some people book directly thru Hal and don't get upsells. Are they falling thru cracks in their email?

FWIW, we booked our last cruise with a large online TA. We booked an SY with a specific cabin assignment. Our reservation was marked "no upgrade" because we were happy with our cabin location, and also that we were willing to consider an upsell (the TA called it a meta-upgrade).

We did receive an upsell offer to an SA, and took it.

Just a single data point...

So please explain to me when my ta called that Hal told her I wasn't eligible. It's got nothing to do with falling thru cracks. I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe everyone is not contacted for upsells. Some people book directly thru Hal and don't get upsells. Are they falling thru cracks in their email?

OK - as I mentioned, no one knows exactly how HAL's upsell system works, but it is apparent that some folks do "fall between the cracks" in the system. It has happened to me as well - even booking through a HAL PCC I did not get an upsell offer while my brother (on the same cruise in the same type cabin) did. For some reason I never got the offer - but I called the PCC and got her to track one down for me.

What I was trying to say was that IMO you are MORE LIKELY to get an upsell offer by booking directly through HAL than through a TA, since there are fewer people involved in the transaction (with HAL emailing you directly). Like in most things, the more people involved, the more likely that things will "fall between the cracks".

To your point - booking through HAL will not guarantee that you get an upsell offer (even if others on your cruise do). I just think that it is more likely to happen than if you go through a TA. Of course, this greatly depends on the TA involved.

As to why your TA told you that you were not eligible - who knows?? Could it be a "good excuse" by HAL or your TA for missing it, could it be that others paid more for their cruise than you did and were given more priority or ??? I believe that it happened to you, but I cannot explain why. Perhaps you will get luckier on your next cruise, I truely hope so.

DaveOKC