Random Questions

chocoholic19

I'll be on the Regal Princess next month for the Grand Mediterranean cruise and I have a few questions I'd like answers to. This will be my third cruise, the previous two both being on Princess also and though I've never asked questions before this board has been extremely helpful in finding the answers I've needed.

1) I have $185 OBC from Princess and my TA, I also have $1500 OBC from a very generous family member. In the past I've only had a small OBC and always spent it but this time depending on how much I pamper myself whilst onboard I may have money left over. What happens with the remaining money, can I cash it out or have them keep it for my next cruise? Also, I know the money from Princess and my TA isn't refundable so how do I make sure they use that up first?

2) Does the salon do gel/shellac nails and will they take old polish off. I'll be getting my nails done before I leave home but I'll be traveling for 18 days before I get on the ship so they'll need to be done again.

3) Should I give extra tips in US dollars or euros? What would the crew members prefer?

Thanks,

Eve

You should get a refund either in cash or refund to your posted credit card at the end of the cruise for any unused OBC. ;)

US $$$

I would get the refund at the purser's desk the last day of the cruise.

Since the gift OBC did not come from the OPs credit card, that might complicate the refund.

I'll be on the Regal Princess next month for the Grand Mediterranean cruise and I have a few questions I'd like answers to. This will be my third cruise, the previous two both being on Princess also and though I've never asked questions before this board has been extremely helpful in finding the answers I've needed.

1) I have $185 OBC from Princess and my TA, I also have $1500 OBC from a very generous family member. In the past I've only had a small OBC and always spent it but this time depending on how much I pamper myself whilst onboard I may have money left over. What happens with the remaining money, can I cash it out or have them keep it for my next cruise? Also, I know the money from Princess and my TA isn't refundable so how do I make sure they use that up first?

2) Does the salon do gel/shellac nails and will they take old polish off. I'll be getting my nails done before I leave home but I'll be traveling for 18 days before I get on the ship so they'll need to be done again.

3) Should I give extra tips in US dollars or euros? What would the crew members prefer?

Thanks,

Eve

You did not mention how many were travelling with you. How long is the cruise? Also, if you like to have wine with dinner, you could

• Buy a nice bottle of wine or two.
  • Eat at the Specialty Restaurants (often :))
  • Buy a coffee card.
  • Get a massage.
  • If you don't have any excursions booked find a Princess excursion or two.
  • Shop for a nice cameo. They had them on the Royal and are lovely.
  • Book the Sanctuary.

I am sure I will think of more. :D:D

I would get the refund at the purser's desk the last day of the cruise.

Since the gift OBC did not come from the OPs credit card, that might complicate the refund.

I don't think the source or card used matters because people use pre-paid debit cards to send themselves OBC or receive gifts of OBC all the time.

What are the chances of being adopted into your family? :) If I had a bunch of extra OBC, I think I might put it toward some really fabulous shore excursions like a helicopter tour or wildlife encounters or something. But that's just me.

You did not mention how many were travelling with you. How long is the cruise? Also, if you like to have wine with dinner, you could

• Buy a nice bottle of wine or two.
  • Eat at the Specialty Restaurants (often :))
  • Buy a coffee card.
  • Get a massage.
  • If you don't have any excursions booked find a Princess excursion or two.
  • Shop for a nice cameo. They had them on the Royal and are lovely.
  • Book the Sanctuary.

I am sure I will think of more. :D:D

I'm traveling solo, 12 days and I don't drink. I also have a restricted diet so the speciality restaurants are out. And have pain issues and a massage will leave me in pain for a day or two after :(

I have several excursions booked already and plan on getting an internet package. If I add them up plus sodas/coffee, automatic gratuities and getting my nails done (once I know the cost) I'll still have money left over.

Now that I know I can cash it out or have it put on MY card, that's what I'll do. The extra will probably cover anything I buy off the ship :)

What are the chances of being adopted into your family? :) If I had a bunch of extra OBC, I think I might put it toward some really fabulous shore excursions like a helicopter tour or wildlife encounters or something. But that's just me.

Zero, sorry but there's a really long list of my friends that have already requested to be adopted :)

I didn't skimp on the excursions, I booked the ones that suited me since I've been to a lot of the ports before and don't want to see the same things again. However in some ports my choice is to go into town and walk around by myself enjoying the city and that doesn't cost much.

The OBC from Princess and your TA might not be refundable....and they tend to use the refundable (from your family member) 1st...so don't be surprised if you aren't allowed to get it all!

You should be able to go to the desk on the last evening and cash out any remaining refundable OBC.

Thanks,

Eve

1) When you board you will have $1685 credit shown on your on board folio account. Your auto-tip will consume $138 of this. If you purchase the coffee card that would be another $31, if you like special coffee drinks it is worth the cost. With a few few tours you will use up the amount that the T.A. and Princess gave you. Whatever you don't use on nails, spa, maybe a hair do after your pre cruise travel will be refunded to you. Visit the customer service desk to discuss how you wish to receive the refund.

3) In Europe you can provide extra tips in either US$ or Euros, the crew will accept either. An option is to cash out the OBC on the last day and use it to provide the extra tips, you can also provide extra tips by having them charged to your account.

You should get a refund either in cash or refund to your posted credit card at the end of the cruise for any unused OBC. ;)

US $$$

Last December Princess did not refund to my credit card, they mailed me a check.

Also, I know the money from Princess and my TA isn't refundable so how do I make sure they use that up first?

Thanks,

Eve

1) I believe that Princess's on board accounting system is not sophisticated enough to distinguish where each credit comes from.

3) The currency onboard is US dollars so that is what I would use.

Have a terrific cruise!:)

3) In Europe you can provide extra tips in either US$ or Euros, the crew will accept either. An option is to cash out the OBC on the last day and use it to provide the extra tips, you can also provide extra tips by having them charged to your account.
Yes, for larger amounts I think the crew would prefer for tips to be transferred directly to their accounts instead of having to deal with lots of cash. For smaller amounts, on a Mediterranean cruise, I am pretty sure they would prefer 5 euros over 5 dollars but of course they'll take either…

The OBC from Princess and your TA might not be refundable....and they tend to use the refundable (from your family member) 1st...so don't be surprised if you aren't allowed to get it all!

You should be able to go to the desk on the last evening and cash out any remaining refundable OBC.

Actually, it's the opposite.

They use the non-refundable OBC first!

you can also provide extra tips by having them charged to your account.

Any extra tips charged to the onboard account will go into the tipping pool.

If you want to reward some individuals, you will need to give them cash.

2) Does the salon do gel/shellac nails and will they take old polish off. I'll be getting my nails done before I leave home but I'll be traveling for 18 days before I get on the ship so they'll need to be done again.Thanks,

Eve

Yes, they do gel/shellac nails and they will take the old polish off, but they will charge at least double what your salon at home charges. Since you have so much onboard credit to use, get your nails done and enjoy!

I'll definitely get my nails done, it will be during the Rome stop as I'll be staying on board so it wIll be a little cheaper than a sea day. I've never had any type of service done on the ship before, I can't wait!

As the cruise is at the end of my month long vacation, I guess I'll use up my euros first for the extra tips then move on to dollars.

Lots of different responses in regards to the OBC, it seems that Princess doesn't have a single way of handling it and many of you have had different experiences. I'll head to passenger services when I board and see what they have to say.

Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated!

Eve

Sent from my iPad using Forums