Dress Code in the MDR on the Century

TSM AND JP

We leave for Alaska on July 13th. My daughter and son-in-law have never cruised before. I've told them that dress code for the MDR is Smart Casual, but tonight she called and asked if hubby could wear a nice pair of Jeans with a golf shirt to the MDR? I've never sailed Century before, so wasn't sure how to answer her. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The Celebrity website should explain dress codes, it doesn't matter what ship or cruising area.

The attire you describe should work for the Buffet.

J.

We leave for Alaska on July 13th. My daughter and son-in-law have never cruised before. I've told them that dress code for the MDR is Smart Casual, but tonight she called and asked if hubby could wear a nice pair of Jeans with a golf shirt to the MDR? I've never sailed Century before, so wasn't sure how to answer her. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Instead of jeans, can he bring a pair of khakis or Docker-style pants? My husband brings a navy pair and a khaki pair, and then mixes and matches them with golf shirts. (he could even get by with just one pair on a 7 day cruise of he only wears them to dinner on the 5 non-formal nights).

Having said that, he will likely not be refused admittance to the MDR wearing jeans, particularly on the first or last night when the dress code is more relaxed.

Edited by DonnaK

Here is the dress code. Jeans are not forbidden.

From the Celebrity Website:

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

I only wear nice jeans on smart casual nights to the MDR, with a collared shirt, sometimes a golf style 3 button, others full button. I don't even pack khaki's or other dress pants (except tuxedo pants). Jeans these days have gotten to be as nice as suit pants in many cases.

As long as they are decent jeans and not work jeans with holes or rips, no problem at all.

On formal night however please respect the dining room and do dress with at minimum a suit or jacket and tie, many (as I do) do wear a tux. If this type of dress is not possible or preferable for you and your fellow guests, please select an alternate restaurant or the buffet for those special evenings and return to the MDR the following night.

He will be fine, especially on first and last night. We were on the Century for an Alaska cruise last month and saw lots of jeans in the dining room. Overall dress code was much more casual than a Caribbean cruise.

However, formal night was different. If going to the MDR those nights, please leave the jeans in your cabin or else dine in the buffet.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Instead of jeans, can he bring a pair of khakis or Docker-style pants? My husband brings a navy pair and a khaki pair, and then mixes and matches them with golf shirts. (he could even get by with just one pair on a 7 day cruise of he only wears them to dinner on the 5 non-formal nights).

Having said that, he will likely not be refused admittance to the MDR wearing jeans, particularly on the first or last night when the dress code is more relaxed.

Celebrity removed jeans from the forbidden list about five years ago, there is no problem with them in the MDR on smart casual nights and any night in any of the Specialty restaurants including Blu. This is not an issue anymore.

Thank you all so much for your responses. The Cruise critic community is a great source of information. We are new to cruising and have found this website to be extremely helpful. Thanks again!