Cadiz or Seville?

tango223

Our ship port is Cadiz and we are trying to decided whether to take a long ship excursion to Seville (total time 9 hrs) or stay in Cadiz. We haven't been to either and on our cruise line, the shore excursions are included.

Any help in deciding would be appreciated.:confused:

We are quite familiar with both cities (have spent many nights in Seville) and although we do enjoy walking around Cadiz, there is no question that Seville has much more to offer a first-time visitor. I should add that when we go to Seville from Cadiz we simply take the train which is about 1:40 each way and costs approximately $30 round trip.

Hank

If this is your first time I would go to Cadiz. In the end you just have to evaluate what you are doing in the other ports and whether or not you want to spend over three hours of the nine hours you might have for Seville getting to and from the city. One of the things I think is key on Mediterranean cruises is to pace oneself and to not rush around. I find that often people try to run so fast that they do not appreciate what they see.

Keith

I think the key words here are: "on our cruise line the shore excursions are included".

I would then go to Seville. It may be a long day but in my view well worth it. You could spend 2 hours or more in the Cathedral (tomb of Christopher Columbus) and if you rent the audio guide, then its a very informative visit.

Cadiz is 'nice', but only to walk around for a couple of hours. Maybe a trip to El Puerto de Santa Maria, but you could do that next time, right?!!

Absolutely it must be Seville.

Normally I would say stay in Cadiz but, as your tours are included and as long as you don't mind crowds, in this case I would go for Seville.

Having said that, if you will be in Andalucía in high season (July, August or early September) you should be aware that Seville is known as the 'frying pan of Spain' as temperatures can reach/top 40 degrees so Cadiz would be cooler.

Edited by campolady

Normally I would say stay in Cadiz but, as your tours are included and as long as you don't mind crowds, in this case I would go for Seville.

Having said that, if you will be in Andalucía in high season (July, August or early September) you should be aware that Seville is known as the 'frying pan of Spain' as temperatures can reach/top 40 degrees so Cadiz would be cooler.

We faced this dilemma last August, but we decided to persevere and head to Seville. We were so glad we did!!! Although the temperature reached 39 C the day we were there, Seville was our favorite port stop amongst many fabulous ones. In many ways, we preferred the Alcazar in Seville to the Alhambra in Granada.

Cadiz is great for families because the beaches are lovely and only a short walk from the ship. Better than dragging little ones around cathedrals etc. Can't deny however that Seville is spectacular.

It's a no brainer, it has to be Seville. Having lived and worked all over Spain I think Seville is the most beautiful of Spanish cities. When I first visited Seville in Franco's era to me it was everything I had imagined Spain to be. I visit Seville every year and it has never lost its charm for me.

The wife is looking for shopping options. Is there anything in Cadiz worth shopping or is Seville the place?

You can shop in either city, but in Seville you can see one of the most magnificent cathedrals in Europe, which includes the tomb of Christopher Columbus. Also, you can see the Alcazar, The Barrio Santa Cruz, and more.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187443-Activities-Seville_Province_of_Seville_Andalucia.html

Cadiz is ok, but pales compared to Seville.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187432-Activities-Cadiz_Costa_de_la_Luz_Andalucia.html

If you visited the NYcity area would you go to Newark or Manhattan?

The wife is looking for shopping options. Is there anything in Cadiz worth shopping or is Seville the place?

there are shopping malls close to the centre of both.

http://www.ccbahiasur.com/W/do/centre/inicio Bahia Sur outside of Cadiz and Nervion Plaza in Seville http://www.nervionplaza.com/. there is El Corte Ingles (large Spanish Department store) department store close to Nervion Plaza.

Bahia Sur is a good distance from the port area and there is really nothing else except the centre.

• 2 weeks later...
Meant to say that both have the same usual suspects as far as stores go:

Massimo Dutti, Sfera, Zara, Corefeil etc etc.

So for some shopping, Cadiz has areas of variety. It seems a bit much to travel to Seville for the same items available in Cadiz.

Our ship port is Cadiz and we are trying to decided whether to take a long ship excursion to Seville (total time 9 hrs) or stay in Cadiz. We haven't been to either and on our cruise line, the shore excursions are included.

Any help in deciding would be appreciated.:confused:

This was our day in Cadiz last August

[YOUTUBE]TJPI7DhJDlU[/YOUTUBE]

It's just a nice day out for no hassle, and a great beach. All the best, Tony

Just had a further thought about the OP's question. We have done a few lengthy driving trips around Spain and had a great time. But having been to Cadiz (4 times) and Seville (3 times including an extended 5 day stay) I would offer this tidbit. If we were driving near Cadiz, I doubt if we would go our of our way to visit the city. But if we were within a 2 or 3 hours of Seville, we would certainly drive over to that city to spend at least 2 nights.

Hank