Anyone ever have to use travel insurance?

az-cruiser

Yes, we did have to use travel insurance when my dad died less than 2 weeks before a cruise. That cruise had been booked through a travel agent who did all the work of notifying the insurance company (Don't recall the name - but it would have been in Canada - so may not be applicable to your situation). They just needed a copy of the death certificate - but beyond that the claim process was smooth, the cruise cost was fully covered, and within 6-8 weeks of submitting the claim - a cheque arrived in the mail. And not only that, NCL also kindly refunded any pre-purchases that my Mom had made which they certainly were under no obligation to do. The only out of pocket expense was the actual cost of the insurance which was minimal compared to the cost of the entire cruise.

I would never travel without insurance - both cancellation insurance and travel medical insurance. You never know what might happen.

My sister used it on the inaugural cruise of the Getaway out of Miami. She and her friend wok up the morning of the cruise at a Miami hotel and friend announced that he thought he was having a heart attack. He spent the night in a hospital, no heart attack, but the ship sailed without them. Don't know which company, but insurance reimbursed most costs quickly after filing the required paperwork.

I've had to cancel three cruises(twice right before leaving home, and once after flying to departure port, but before sailing). Also one time we used our travel insurance for a ship doctor visit and medicine reimbursement.

I don't plan any trips without insurance.

We used it on a cruise last year, cancelled the night before, due to health issues. We had to fill out some paperwork and get a note from my doctor and everything was reimbursed except the cost of the insurance, even airline upgrades and all the cruise extras. We travel a lot and never used to buy it, but have the last few years and will never travel without it again. There is nothing more depressing than unpacking from a cruise you didn’t go on.

Edited by fatboy50
oh, Travel Guard

I've had to cancel three cruises(twice right before leaving home, and once after flying to departure port, but before sailing). ....

Remind me not to sell you insurance!

LOL!!!

They have not any money from you, that is for sure.

I used my credit card's travel insurance once. It's a USAA World MasterCard.

I had to cancel my plans to go on a cruise due to my husband having a serious medical issue that required me to stay home (I was going to be traveling with a friend). I hadn't yet booked the cruise, expecting to book it last-minute to snag a cheap fare, but I had booked the air travel on AirTran.

The only charge I needed to be reimbursed from the travel insurance was the $75 change fee from AirTran. (I was able to use the remaining air credit for our rescheduled cruise a month or so later.)

It was somewhat ridiculous how much paperwork I submitted, how long the process took (several weeks to hear back from someone), followed by having to submit a copy of our marriage certificate. (I do wonder whether that would have been required if it had been my "wife" instead of my "husband".)

Anyway, I did eventually receive a check for the $75.

At this moment I can't remember the insurance I had when I had to use it two years ago for a medical emergency. They would not take our private insurance, so I had to pay cash for everything (airline tickets, surgeon, hospital, hotel etc in cash. The travel ins would not pay anything till I submitted claims to reg. ins. co. After everyone paid, I was still out about 4 grand. My advice is no matter what ins. you get make sure you bring a credit card for such emergencies.

When we had to cancel our Dec. Cruise a week out, due to father's medical issues. Needed a note from doctor, called to notify and then filled out and submitted paperwork it took me about 6 weeks to attend to the forms, but once submitted payment was rapid. Allianz insurance company was helpful and no problems. I will use them on our next cruise. I wouldn't travel without full medical, too scary for me!

Has anyone ever had to use travel insurance? If so, what company did you go thru and how did it all workout?

Thanks!

Yes, we had a vehicle accident on a tour in St. Thomas. BIL 96 stitches in head, SIL hurt back, I just hit my head.......DH ran and packed our bags. Hotel for a couple of days - everything covered!!! We used AccessAmerica now known as Allianz.........or something similar to that. Searchable still by Access America. I wouldn't leave home without it! You just never know what can happen!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I tried to use it once when a flight I booked through the cruise line was rescheduled and I was never notified ( travel agent wasn't either). We had to stay over night in New Orleans. Nothing was reimbursed, I bought it through insuremytrip but I cant remember the company. After reviewing the plan on their site one of their representatives actually contacted the company on my behalf and sent me a letter determining that my insurance was no obligated to cover it. So much for my non-stop flight, but insuremytrip was great.

Recently my son woke up from a nap on a cruise with pus coming out of his eye. A quick trip to the ship doctor and his eye infection was diagnosed and some eye drops prescribed. I would probably get the money in a month like they said if I would just take the envelope to the post office that has been hanging out on my counter. Used insuremytrip again and this time I got travel guard insurance.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by bearette

We used it on a cruise last year, cancelled the night before, due to health issues. We had to fill out some paperwork and get a note from my doctor and everything was reimbursed except the cost of the insurance, even airline upgrades and all the cruise extras. We travel a lot and never used to buy it, but have the last few years and will never travel without it again. There is nothing more depressing than unpacking from a cruise you didn’t go on.

Thanks for the info, can you tell me what insurance company you used?

I tried to use it once when a flight I booked through the cruise line was rescheduled and I was never notified ( travel agent wasn't either). We had to stay over night in New Orleans. Nothing was reimbursed, I bought it through insuremytrip but I cant remember the company. After reviewing the plan on their site one of their representatives actually contacted the company on my behalf and sent me a letter determining that my insurance was no obligated to cover it. So much for my non-stop flight, but insuremytrip was great.

Recently my son woke up from a nap on a cruise with pus coming out of his eye. A quick trip to the ship doctor and his eye infection was diagnosed and some eye drops prescribed. I would probably get the money in a month like they said if I would just take the envelope to the post office that has been hanging out on my counter. Used insuremytrip again and this time I got travel guard insurance.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Thank you!

Yes, we had a vehicle accident on a tour in St. Thomas. BIL 96 stitches in head, SIL hurt back, I just hit my head.......DH ran and packed our bags. Hotel for a couple of days - everything covered!!! We used AccessAmerica now known as Allianz.........or something similar to that. Searchable still by Access America. I wouldn't leave home without it! You just never know what can happen!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks Tyskie! Did they take care of the extra expenses after your accident?

When we had to cancel our Dec. Cruise a week out, due to father's medical issues. Needed a note from doctor, called to notify and then filled out and submitted paperwork it took me about 6 weeks to attend to the forms, but once submitted payment was rapid. Allianz insurance company was helpful and no problems. I will use them on our next cruise. I wouldn't travel without full medical, too scary for me!

Thank you Susan4000,looks like Allianz is in the lead ;)

Hi again, az-cruiser.

I answered in part in your other thread

(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2067459)

We used TravelInsured, with the policy purchased through

TripInsuranceStore.com

Because we spent a very long time with all of our attention on the subsequent medical issues (things got much worse before they got better), we didn't submit the claim for quite a while.

(And TripInsuranceStore folks were careful to remind us about the deadline for filing, by the way.)

Once we filed the claim, and got all the supporting documentation in, it was maybe a bit more than a week before we got a call letting us know that the check was being mailed.

The only "glitch" was there was some difficulty determining which docs they received or didn't receive, and I worried that there was going to be a nightmare of them trying to wiggle out of paying.

But there was no such thing, not even a hint.

(They were certainly entitled to have all the proper documentation, obviously.)

Given the actual nightmares we've heard of from others (travel insurance as well as other types of insurance claims), we'll probably stick with TravelInsured for all other travel insurance needs.

We also have MedJetAssist (annual plan, not expensive) for anything extraordinary "away from home".

They will take us to the hospital of OUR choice, anywhere, if either of us is admitted as an inpatient more than 150 miles from home.

What we like about that is there is no need for any local medical staff or hospital administrator to "declare themselves unsuitable" for the medical/surgical needs, and no insurance beancounter will say the hospital change "isn't needed".

That would be good in the unhappy event either of us ever finds ourselves hospitalized near Middle Upper Lower Rowboat City, etc.

GeezerCouple

Thanks Tyskie! Did they take care of the extra expenses after your accident?

It covered everything:

Trip interruption (paid for the days not used on the cruise)

Paid for the excursions that we couldn't get our money back

Medical, RX, surgery, x-rays, etc

Flight home

Hotel in St. Thomas

Food

Taxis to and from hospital (for recheck for my BIL)

Taxi to airport

parking at JFK for our family to meet us

parking in NY (as we had left a vehicle there for the RT NY cruise)

I didn't have further medical care other than the ER in STT (and a super-duper headache for a few days). My BIL & SIL were seen back in NY. There was a little confusion about which insurance company would be the primary. Since it was a vehicle accident, the tour operator's vehicle insurance was primary. Unfortunately his CSL was only $20,000 per accident (which is common in the Caribbean). Then it was the trip insurance/Medicare for them. I do know they did not pay out of pocket for any medical coverage, it took them a while to sort it out. We (4 of us) were reimbursed for the major things immediately upon submitting the claim (airfare, hotel, food, trip interruption). The only thing that was not covered was my DH Caribe beers (2) he had while waiting at a restaurant for food to be brought back to hotel, petty but really in the scope of things not necessary for reimbursement. :)

The most difficult thing was to get the accident report from STT. They actually wanted us to fly down to get it (yea, right). Without the accident report the insurance wouldn't pay. Princess dock agent was wonderful and was able to get it for us (after a few phone calls to the Police Station).

Of note, while all this was going on, my Dad was admitted to the hospital in FL and I almost "jumped" ship in PR. What a trip this was..............a dream that turned into a nightmare, nothing you plan on but something that does happen from time to time. As soon as I got home, I was on a plane the next day to FL.

To answer your final question, if there were additional fees once we got home, I'm not sure what the answer would be. If one did not have health insurance, I would make sure that the plan I chose would have "following health care" for the after care.

FYI, BIL needed a tetanus shot, which the clinic/hospital did not have, they were all out ! Doctors and nurses were all trained in the US. They were all wonderful, but you do have to remember it was the US Virgin Islands and that is different from most of the other Islands.

Finally...................if you are on a tour, no matter where, and if the open air safari truck is the mode of transportation, these DO NOT have seatbelts. If you do take them, sit close to the cab of the truck. We will NOT do excursions without vans with seatbelts ! "period" !!!!!!!

It covered everything:

Trip interruption (paid for the days not used on the cruise)

Paid for the excursions that we couldn't get our money back

Medical, RX, surgery, x-rays, etc

Flight home

Hotel in St. Thomas

Food

Taxis to and from hospital (for recheck for my BIL)

Taxi to airport

parking at JFK for our family to meet us

parking in NY (as we had left a vehicle there for the RT NY cruise)

I didn't have further medical care other than the ER in STT (and a super-duper headache for a few days). My BIL & SIL were seen back in NY. There was a little confusion about which insurance company would be the primary. Since it was a vehicle accident, the tour operator's vehicle insurance was primary. Unfortunately his CSL was only $20,000 per accident (which is common in the Caribbean). Then it was the trip insurance/Medicare for them. I do know they did not pay out of pocket for any medical coverage, it took them a while to sort it out. We (4 of us) were reimbursed for the major things immediately upon submitting the claim (airfare, hotel, food, trip interruption). The only thing that was not covered was my DH Caribe beers (2) he had while waiting at a restaurant for food to be brought back to hotel, petty but really in the scope of things not necessary for reimbursement. :)

The most difficult thing was to get the accident report from STT. They actually wanted us to fly down to get it (yea, right). Without the accident report the insurance wouldn't pay. Princess dock agent was wonderful and was able to get it for us (after a few phone calls to the Police Station).

Of note, while all this was going on, my Dad was admitted to the hospital in FL and I almost "jumped" ship in PR. What a trip this was..............a dream that turned into a nightmare, nothing you plan on but something that does happen from time to time. As soon as I got home, I was on a plane the next day to FL.

To answer your final question, if there were additional fees once we got home, I'm not sure what the answer would be. If one did not have health insurance, I would make sure that the plan I chose would have "following health care" for the after care.

FYI, BIL needed a tetanus shot, which the clinic/hospital did not have, they were all out ! Doctors and nurses were all trained in the US. They were all wonderful, but you do have to remember it was the US Virgin Islands and that is different from most of the other Islands.

Finally...................if you are on a tour, no matter where, and if the open air safari truck is the mode of transportation, these DO NOT have seatbelts. If you do take them, sit close to the cab of the truck. We will NOT do excursions without vans with seatbelts ! "period" !!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the details! We have health insurance, and since my husband and our parents are getting older, I wanted to make sure I chose an insurance company that was legit....better to be safe than sorry :)

I always use Travelguard. Our ship got into port 3 hours late; had to travel slower due to bad weather. Missed flight; because we missed it due to our "common carrier" being late and not due to our fault, they reimbursed the difference in the cost of the flights, and also the rebooking fee, although I don't think that was much (may $30 a person)?

I used the Travel Guard by Costco and they were awesome in helping us track our missing luggage that did not cone on the same British Airway flight. I could not get threw CSR with British Airway and Travel Guard started to contact them and follow up with me each day on status and updates. It took BA two days to get our luggage. Thank God we had extra days before our cruise in Barcelona.