Holland America - too "geriatric?"

lsnhc

My wife and I are frequent cruisers and have typically cruised on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, and Celebrity. We are interested in a Transatlantic sailing on HA Ryndam but are very concerned that the crowd might be too "geriatric" (meaning no disrespect!). We are mid and early 60's but not the traditional "about to retire couple." We are very fit, like adventure, and still like to rock and roll!

Will we feel out of place on this sailing?

No, you won't.

The demographic on ANY cruise, on ANY cruise line will vary by the length of cruise, and the time of year. Over 10 days, the age usually rises, sometimes considerably for cruises over 20 or so days. Cruises during the school year will generally have older crowds.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Like the past poster said, the longer the cruise the older the demographic... Also, TA's are generally older. Having Said THAT, our last TA (Last September on HAL) was a pretty good mix. Few kids, abut LOTS of 50/60's who are experienced travelers, and more adventurous than the vast majority of passengers on most mainstream cruise lines...

PS: We are mid 50's, and have 26 cruises under our belts....

You will be in the average age group. The people considered "geriatric" on European cruises are in quite good shape. They give me hope that we still have lots of traveling years to come!

As far as calling HAL geriatric, that is probably what "pushed me over the edge" to give up our long term TA. When she said we'd be the youngest onboard Prinsendam (before our 3rd sailing on her) at age 62 (our favorite ship), I thought, why am I giving them my business????

We are in our 60's and were also concerned about the age make-up of the ship for your 2012 cruise. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we had nothing to worry about. There were pax ranging in age, 30-80 something. The nite club scene was not lively, but that was ok with us. There was max participation in most scheduled activities. (marriage game, movies, trivia, talent contest, etc) I understand that the itinerary may effect the demographics, and our cruise was 20 days, but I don't think you will regret going on Hal. We have scheduled our next two on Hal.

I've done several TA's on various cruise lines. On HAL- I was so bored, I seriously considered getting off in Funchal. I'm 64 years old and have a heart condition that's serious enough get my commercial driver license suspended, yet I felt like just about the fittest and most active person on board.

A great choice if you want a Florida-buffet-restaurant-at-sea, but expect ZERO nightlife.

You know, you will find passengers of all ages and physical condition on Hal. Isn't that what makes cruising so interesting. Glad to hear you are fit, even though your in your mid 60's, your very lucky. Not every cruiser can say that but its nice that we can all cruise even with infirmities, don't you think.

I don't have the experience some cruisers have - only four under my belt, but I've never found the majority of passengers on HAL to be geriatric in nature. I'm 61 and fairly active and I've found myself to be somewhere right in the middle, including the one longer cruise (17 days) in January to South America.

Keep in mind that age is just a number. I had that point driven home on my last cruise when I met a gentleman in the MDR at breakfast. I'm sure my jaw was on the floor when he told me he was 98. He was as spry and active as me.

A good friend of mine is 21 years older than me. We travel well together as she is just as fit and active as I am. At 81 she went zip lining with her grand kids.

So, even if the chronological age of the passengers is greater, it doesn't mean they aren't as active, fit and fun as the younger crowd. Sometimes, they are more so.

Debbie

Most TAs attract an older demographic although we would agree (based on our more then 15 TAs) that HAL seems to get a somewhat older clientele. We are in our mid 60s and have sometimes felt like the youngsters on our HAL voyages...but other times the crowd was somewhat younger. And we have also had older HAL crowds with lots of energy (although they still go to bed by 9:30) that were quite fun. Just do not expect any midnight Comedy shows on a HAL cruise :). HAL seems to have a self-serving prophecy when it comes to Seniors. The line does not schedule much after 10 pm, and the folks that want some late night fun know not to book most HAL cruises.

Hank

We're all "Older than Dirt"..... LOL :D ;)

On the usual 7, 10, 14 day cruise you will find very similar demographic to "X" and Princess. There are seniors on all cruisers and there are young 'uns and everything in between. :)

I've given up on trying to predict age & liveliness. We were on a 35 day Collector's cruise in 2012 that was younger than average and had pretty hoppin' night life (12:30-1:00 AM or later every night.) This past March we were on a 10 day voyage that was all ghost town & tumble weeds after 11:30 PM. Once the late BB King show ended, the street lights came on and all the kids had to go home.

The long cruise was a younger crowd. The short cruise was an older crowd.

We're in our late 40s & early 50s. (By "we," I mean that my wife is the young one.) I would tend to view a transatlantic trip as mostly relaxation, unless you are on Disney, Royal Caribbean, or Carnival. Then, it's probably "action packed" or "a hellacious nightmare" depending on your perspective.

I've given up on trying to predict age & liveliness. We were on a 35 day Collector's cruise in 2012 that was younger than average and had pretty hoppin' night life (12:30-1:00 AM or later every night.) This past March we were on a 10 day voyage that was all ghost town & tumble weeds after 11:30 PM. Once the late BB King show ended, the street lights came on and all the kids had to go home.

The long cruise was a younger crowd. The short cruise was an older crowd.

We're in our late 40s & early 50s. (By "we," I mean that my wife is the young one.) I would tend to view a transatlantic trip as mostly relaxation, unless you are on Disney, Royal Caribbean, or Carnival. Then, it's probably "action packed" or "a hellacious nightmare" depending on your perspective.

There some interesting exceptions. We once did a TA cruise on the Jewel of the Seas that was one of liveliest cruises we have ever experienced (so much so that we still remember). The crowd was not younger (mostly 55+) but they were just a fun group. Bars were often crowded at mid-night and these folks just wanted to party and not go to bed. Was a real shocker.

I tend to be a late night person (am usually up until 2am or later at home) but when on HAL cruises I generally am in bed by 11...out of boredom. If they had some decent late night live entertainment we would be there...but its hard to get excited about a DJ spinning some records for 5 souls. We would love to see HAL try some late night (after 11:30) adult comedy shows.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I can't speak to TAs specifically (our only one was on the QM2 and that's a whole "nother ball game :) ) .... but we've sailed both HAL and RCCL. During the months schools are in session we didn't notice a big difference in the age demographics between the 2.

TAs would, of course, have basically an older, retired crowd. Working folks can't normally take off the amount of time for a TA and then vacationing or cruising once they arrive.

Just as an aside ....IMHO ... without the "geriatric crowd" booking lots of cabins and spending lots of money during the months school is in session none of the cruise lines could begin to afford floating the number and variety of ships/itineraries/home-ports they do. They have to have all cruises sail with a high % of passengers to break even.

My wife and I are both in our miid-seventies. We probably raise the average age on our HAL cruises - but we are both active and are fortunately in good shape. It is tiresome to hear all the ignorant (meaning people who don't know what they are talking about because they do not set foot on HAL ships) blather about floating nursing homes for the neatly dead set.

HAL cruisers tend to be grown up more than elderly - no, we do not go for the wet tee shirts or hairy chest contests - but are glad that there are lines which cater to people who do. I love going to water parks with my grandchildren - so I do not miss a water slide of a ship .

If the continuous action seekers are lucky, they might mature to the point where they would be able to appreciate what HAL has to offer.

We have done 3 HAL cruises 12 days or longer. We find the atmosphere quieter. (We really don't pay attention to age so much as atmosphere. ) And we find the lack of activity after 10 p.m. very noticeable. Hopefully on TA'S they would offer more things to do later since so many days are just cruising. When we cruise on HAL it's for an itinerary we can't find on another line. I don't see HAL doing anything to change this "geriatric" image.

We are looking forward to our cruise around Spain next month.

Edited by eandj

If you are asking the question, Holland America may be too geriatric for you. The ship was dead by 10:00 on our Prinsendam transatlantic. We heard that the average age was 75. There was one couple that was under 40, very few under 50. We enjoyed the cruise immensely, but anyone looking for a late night party atmosphere would have been sorely disappointed.

If you are asking the question, Holland America may be too geriatric for you. The ship was dead by 10:00 on our Prinsendam transatlantic. We heard that the average age was 75. There was one couple that was under 40, very few under 50. We enjoyed the cruise immensely, but anyone looking for a late night party atmosphere would have been sorely disappointed.

Tend to agree with you. HAL tends to be an "early to bed, early to rise" sort of cruise experience. Works great for port intensive cruises. Honestly, we'd be bored silly on a HAL TA.

LuLu

<snip>We're in our late 40s & early 50s. (By "we," I mean that my wife is the young one.)

You cradle robber, you. [emoji12]

To the OP, DH and I are 32 and 31 and we are going on our third HAL cruise next month. All of our cruises have been 11 days or longer. We have never noticed a geriatric crowd, have always met interesting people, and have made some lifelong friends (Hi, friends!). We sailed during Christmas the first time and February the second time. Obviously, school will have started next month. We are traveling with our girls - 7, 5, and 3.

Edited by AlohaPride

I started cruising and traveling the world in my thirties. We were usually the youngest on any given tour. I so enjoyed all the so called "geriatric" crowd! They had so much wisdom and worldly experience, and I have no problem traveling with people older than I am. Now, a bunch of screaming kids do me in and I had 3 boys! :eek:

I like to be up late and do enjoy some activity at night. Like someone said, you never know if you are going to have a fun group of passengers or a boring group. Make your own fun.

Diane

..........and by the way what is wrong with 'geriatric' people anyway? If we live long enough, we'll all get there.

Amen!!!! What makes "geriatric" anyway. I am a month or so from my 75th birthday and I am hardly geriatric. I am currenly on the Oosterdam and we have a nice mix of ages from Children to senior citizens and all seem quite happy.

Himself

Amen!!!! What makes "geriatric" anyway. I am a month or so from my 75th birthday and I am hardly geriatric. I am currenly on the Oosterdam and we have a nice mix of ages from Children to senior citizens and all seem quite happy.

Himself

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com :

"geriatric

"n"3. (Medicine) an elderly person"

"eld·er·ly (ebreve.giflprime.gifdschwa.gifr-lemacr.gif)

"adj.

"1. Being past middle age and approaching old age; rather old."

Like it or not, you are geriatric no matter how young you feel or act.

Do you believe everything you hear("...average age was 75...")?

I suppose it is possible, if you have a centenarian for every one of the few under 50, and someone 110 for every 40 year old. Perhaps your passenger list was unique , but as a mid-70's person I have found myself among the older group on every HAL ship I've sailed. And, while not go-go all the time, a reasonable amount of activity until midnight.