Star Level on Room Keys

SilvertoGold

Crew News (Joanie's DH) on an Alaska cruise right now noted that the room keys no longer show the Star Level.

I was wondering why they did in the first place and why HAL would change this now.

For priority tenders you use the room key to show that you are a 4/5 star Mariner and thus qualify for the priority tendering. I can't think of any other reason for needing the star level on the the room keys, though.

I wonder how the priority tendering will work now.

Any thoughts?

My memory is as soon as the Star Mariner Program began, our star status was put on our key cards. I think it belongs there.

It also indicates free Pinnacle dinners, discounts on wine packages, free cooking class etc

And yes, it verifies for crew on the gangway that guest gets priority tendering.

It alerts the 'server' to check for applicable benefit to which that guest may be entitled.

Edited by sail7seas

The FAQ for Mariner Status still says:

"How will my Star status be recognized at the pier and onboard?

Your card key and onboard charge card, personalized with your name, will also display your Star level."

I wonder if this was just a software printing error?

Just looked at my Veendam card from 21-28June and star level is on it. Perhaps a problem on the Zuiderdam or Crew New's account?

Those are my thoughts as wall;)

I don't think anyone should jump to any conclusions based on one report

Me, too.

I want those Five Star benefits. :)

Sail

I am sure you know that you get the benefits without the symbol on the card. It is all done through the computer.

Nevertheless, I agree, with you and others: I prefer to have the star level symbol on those cards and the Mariner rewards!

Sail

I am sure you know that you get the benefits without the symbol on the card. It is all done through the computer.

Nevertheless, I agree, with you and others: I prefer to have the star level symbol on those cards and the Mariner rewards!

Everything is so much easier when you can quickly and easily provide the 'proof' you are entitled to receive what it is you are requesting. I'd rather stand at the gangway with my key card showing Five Stars and request priority tendering than have them send me back to get a tender ticket because they don't know I'm Five Star, for example. Yes, I know someone will say they could scan the card and see it on my profile but why hold up the line while we have that conversation?

Edited by sail7seas

Everything is so much easier when you can quickly and easily provide the 'proof' you are entitled to receive what it is you are requesting. I'd rather stand at the gangway with my key card showing Five Stars and request priority tendering than have them send me back to get a tender ticket because they don't know I'm Five Star, for example. Yes, I know someone will say they could scan the card and see it on my profile but why hold up the line while we have that conversation?

That is true, but priority tendering is the only reward that requires the symbol on the card, isn't it?

ME TOO! I will get my 4th star after the next cruise and I want it to show!

DaveOKC

I enjoy that status on the card. We will be getting our 4 star on our next 14 day cruise on the NieunAmsterdam next March 2015! I think there was an error that developed when their cards were printed.

Crew News (Joanie's DH) on an Alaska cruise right now noted that the room keys no longer show the Star Level.

I was wondering why they did in the first place and why HAL would change this now.

For priority tenders you use the room key to show that you are a 4/5 star Mariner and thus qualify for the priority tendering. I can't think of any other reason for needing the star level on the the room keys, though.

I wonder how the priority tendering will work now.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like an error to me - did he get the issue validated or clarified by front office before posting this? Stars are on my most recent room key but that's not to say there hasn't been a change. However, I imagine there would be something on their website especially in the Mariners' benefits section. Guess we'll find out soon enough from others who are cruising now.

That is true, but priority tendering is the only reward that requires the symbol on the card, isn't it?

That would be enough

I've never been to the cooking classes but what about them?

Free Spa day?

Doesn't the gold color of your suite cabin key get you priority tendering anyway? It's the rest of us 4 and 5 star Mariners that would have to be concerned about that.

For everything else the perks are done by computer. One cruise I sailed with a friend who was a 1*. The 1* on her card only confused the crew at the Explorations Cafe when she bought drinks for both of us. The computer showed my 50% discount (as we were on the same booking) yet her card only had 1*.

Edited by Mary Ellen
Phrasing

My goodness, just imagine all those cruisers that love to wear their cruise cards around their neck (with the stars facing out) so they can say "Look at me, I have more stars then you." Take those Stars off the card and these folks would probably draw them back on with a magic marker :)

Hank

I just looked on my latest Key Card, from Alaska this year, and my star level shows. One report does not, IMHO, mean anything. I can think of several explanations for that one report.

Exactly. Everyone step back and not panic.:D This would not be the first bit of erroneous information from unvalidated sources.

Doesn't the gold color of your suite cabin key get you priority tendering anyway? It's the rest of us 4 and 5 star Mariners that would have to be concerned about that.

For everything else the perks are done by computer. One cruise I sailed with a friend who was a 1*. The 1* on her card only confused the crew at the Explorations Cafe when she bought drinks for both of us. The computer showed my 50% discount (as we were on the same booking) yet her card only had 1*.

Yes -- Passengers in the PS and Neptune Suites have gold cards for showing at the tender station.