Westerdam in Juneau July 8, 2014

Crew News

The day began with breakfast in the Lido of Eggs Stanley (poached wtih crab) over English muffin. It was good that Code Orange was over and fresh glasses of orange juice could be selected without an intermediary.

Docking in Juneau took place in cloudy and chilly weather. With four ships in port, downtown Juneau was full of spending cruisers.

My helicopter and walk-around on the Mendenhall Glacier began with gearing up with heavy boots and over-garments to protect us from the sharp glacier ice. The helicopter pilot circled the incredible scenery of the glacier before landing on a somewhat flat area and allowing the five passengers to set their feet on the thin sheet of water covering the ice. The helicopter departed and a sense of isolation swept over the group. Our guide assured us that the weather would stay good enough for the helicopter to return to pick us up.

Shuffling our feet to keep from slipping, we were fitted with crampons and presented a very sharp trekking pole. Learning to walk with our feet apart to keep from stabbing our ankles with our own crampon blades and stepping flat-footed was interesting. There was much to learn about glaciers and we strolled around for nearly one hour. We looked into some very deep crevasses and stepped over some fast moving water. Some took the opportunity to empty their provided water bottles and fill them with pure glacier water. It was good to see the helicopter return with another group of glacier walkers.

The weather remained cold and cloudy until our return flight back to Juneau. The pilot commented that she hoped those still on the glacier could be picked up. The five passengers could only look at each other in both relief and disbelief. It was a good to remove all of the extra gear back in the airport terminal.

I arrived 20 minutes late for fixed dining but was still allowed to occupy my table. With most passengers still ashore, the MDR was only 10% filled. Waiters and the Assistant Dining Room Manager spent a lot of time just talking with passengers. My dinner took a mere 40 minutes to complete.

Wandering through the Lido Restaurant, I noticed a 30-inch baking sheet filled with berry crisp dessert. With my modest spoonful in a small bowl, I proceeded to the Ice Cream Station for a scoop of vanilla ice cream. My wait was only six minutes which was a bit better than my first ice cream event. The bowl of sprinkles was empty.

The four cruise ships in Juneau all started to leave around 10:00 PM with the Westerdam being the last out at 10:45.

As an aside, I have been successful in obtaining Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Late Snack menus from the Culinary Operations Manager. I even got the Kid's Menu. I have been promised the latest Master Chef's Dinner Menu if they still have it. In addition, I scanned the bar menu.

When I returned from the Lido Restaurant this morning, a stranger was standing the hallway asking a Room Steward if he could peek into a stateroom. I invited the gentleman into our aft wrap for a tour and I told him my name. He was surprised, stated that he recognized me from CC, and introduced himself as Cantorindahouse from CC. It was a very improbable meeting of the newest member of our Roll Call and he is now an owner of my Westerdam 2014 souvenir calendar.

As I post this, the sun has broken through for the first time this cruise.

I am available to research any questions, if asked.

Edited by Crew News

Subscribed to all your reviews! Hope the other passengers had no problem getting off the glacier.

I have previously asked on cc and learned that most ships have done away with the dessert night. If you can, let us know if that's true of t he Westerdam. My ds was looking forward to it... Also, if you hear anything more about the kids club activities, please let us know. Couldn't find any recent dailies on cc.

Thanks. Hope you continue to enjoy the trip and the ice cream lines get shorter for you.

Subscribed to all your reviews! Hope the other passengers had no problem getting off the glacier.

I have previously asked on cc and learned that most ships have done away with the dessert night. If you can, let us know if that's true of t he Westerdam. My ds was looking forward to it... Also, if you hear anything more about the kids club activities, please let us know. Couldn't find any recent dailies on cc.

Thanks. Hope you continue to enjoy the trip and the ice cream lines get shorter for you.

The Dessert Extravaganzas are no more and it seems so are the Dessert Nights that replaced them. There is nothing on tomorrows Formal Night On Location regarding desserts.

I will try to track down what is going on in the Kid's Club. It must be noted that I only see kids after 5:00 PM so they must be very occupied during the day.

Still long ice cream lines but now an extra bowl of sprinkles.

I will have the On Locations as well as all of the Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Late Snack menus for both Lido and MDR on my website after July 23.

Thanks for this report of your day in Juneau.

How did Joanie occupy the time while you were on your excursion?

With her allergy to scents, she spends most of her cruises on board either reading on the verandah or chatting with crew and friends. It is surprising how many ship's officers can be found in the Aft Lido Smoking Area.

She seems to find crew members with whom we have sailed in the past. HAL is a big family with lots of passenger friends.

The Royal Dutch Tea (I forget which day) had a very nice selection of desserts, including chocolate dipped strawberries. I liked that they were in small portions so you could try several without feeling sick.

With her allergy to scents, she spends most of her cruises on board either reading on the verandah or chatting with crew and friends. It is surprising how many ship's officers can be found in the Aft Lido Smoking Area.

She seems to find crew members with whom we have sailed in the past. HAL is a big family with lots of passenger friends.

Thanks for your reply.

If possible can you see if they have any local Alaskan beer available on the ship? My husband is never satisfied with HAL's beer selection.

The bar staff reported to me that Juneau Brewery provides Summer, Amber, Pale Ale, and Ice Bay beers for the Westerdam.

The bar staff reported to me that Juneau Brewery provides Summer, Amber, Pale Ale, and Ice Bay beers for the Westerdam.

Just a quick correction -- that's Alaskan Brewery, which is in Juneau. You can catch a shuttle to the actual brewery for a tasting at their retail location on Franklin Street. Some of the local merchants protested allowing them a liquor license at the retail location so they can't do tastings there :(