Celebrity dress code

Orch at Sea

Now your just taking things out of context. You know that section is referring to the restaurants. If smart casual and above applied to the entire ship then the line about it being required in the theatre is completely redundant.

I don't believe I am. The whole dress code section is not listed at all under restaurants, and does not say "Evening Restaurant Attire" as the section title. It says "Evenings Aboard Celebrity Include 2 types of dress" not "Dining in Celebrity Restaurants includes 2 types of dress".

So since the evenings include 2 types of dress, one must then infer that dress is either formal or smart casual, as they list. Not that there is a 3rd choice to wear shorts and sandals neither of which are allowed under Formal or Smart Casual guidelines.

But like Formal dining, many of course, do avoid the policy.

I assume that when visiting a bar, one is still aboard a Celebrity ship...therefore the shorts and sandals are out of policy in the evenings, unless going off ship.

I didn't think disagreeing with someone, debating the point of disagreement, or the use of humor/irony/sarcasm constituted meanness.

I do believe however, that at least some people might possibly notice a distinct double standard displayed in your comments quoted above.

As you well know his comment had nothing to do with debating the point, but I'm not surprised at your remark. Perhaps you should try addressing the whole quote and not editing it to take it out of context, just as he did. What was the point of disagreement? Maybe you could explain it to me.

Edited by Ma Bell

I don't believe I am. The whole dress code section is not listed at all under restaurants, and does not say "Evening Restaurant Attire" as the section title. It says "Evenings Aboard Celebrity Include 2 types of dress" not "Dining in Celebrity Restaurants includes 2 types of dress".

So since the evenings include 2 types of dress, one must then infer that dress is either formal or smart casual, as they list. Not that there is a 3rd choice to wear shorts and sandals neither of which are allowed under Formal or Smart Casual guidelines.

But like Formal dining, many of course, do avoid the policy.

I assume that when visiting a bar, one is still aboard a Celebrity ship...therefore the shorts and sandals are out of policy in the evenings, unless going off ship.

LOL. Now you're saying sandals aren't allowed either after 6? Alrighty then, I'll just leave you with that :eek:

Edited by Cruise Junky

I guess I'll leave it to you then to decide what time "evening" kicks in. :rolleyes:

To me it's 5 or 6pm, afternoon is 1-5 or 6pm.

You are fairly new to this board but many of us discussed this when Celebrity changed the policy about 7 years ago or so. This isn't even an issue anymore, you are dead wrong, you can't just make things up because your link said nothing about 6:00PM. I also checked my daily from my last cruise and it said nothing about it. Makes me wonder if you've ever been on a Celebrity ship.

Also, in a previous post you stated you wouldn't go to dinner in the MDR in the clothes you boarded in because your luggage was lost, you would just meet your family in the bar after you ate elsewhere. At the time the incident I referred to the 6P.M rule was in effect and enforced. I suppose you would have stayed in your room every night of the cruise after 6 because the cruise line failed to deliver your luggage.

Edited by dkjretired

You are fairly new to this board but many of us discussed this when Celebrity changed the policy about 7 years ago or so. This isn't even an issue anymore, you are dead wrong, you can't just make things up because your link said nothing about 6:00PM. I also checked my daily from my last cruise and it said nothing about it.

Also, in a previous post you stated you wouldn't go to dinner in the MDR in the clothes you boarded in because your luggage was lost, you would just meet your family in the bar after you ate elsewhere. At the time the incident I referred to the 6P.M rule was in effect and enforced. I suppose you would have stayed in your room every night of the cruise after 6 because the cruise line failed to deliver your luggage.

Honestly, I'd have no issue with falling into lapse of the smart casual rule on the rest of the ship, as there literally would be no other option in that case, versus the MDR formal night, where there are other options.

I'd allow one with displaced luggage in the MDR all nights except formal night.

I also don't low who lost my luggage, airline, cruise line, the pier staff etc. So I wouldn't fault the Crusie ship either not having facts.

I can't see how I'm "dead wrong" when I am quoting and directly linking to the policy right on the X website, and reviews a recent Celebrity Today from my summit sailing, which also describers "evening attire" not "evening dining attire". This is from the Welcome Aboard daily I received on Sunday, May 25, 2014. It stipulates the dress code on both formal and non formal nights, and in neither are shorts mentioned as acceptable wear.

So it's actually YOU who are making the things up, unless you have a direct link to some other conflicting policy that what I have posted.

True they have not defined what hour "evening" starts but they also did not define what the word "attire" "evening" "aboard" mean among many others.

Common sense kind of instills evening starts when evening activities start - dining theatre additional bars open etc. At least that's what MY common sense tells me. Common sense tells me that since the word "shorts" is not listed under acceptable attire where they itemized a series of items that are, none of which relate to shorts, they are not welcome on the evenings. And common sense tells me that since they took the time to write the words "Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours"into the policy, the true intent is to not have shorts worn in the evening hours, whatever ones definition of "evening" may be I guess being the issue?

[edited to add]...

And how much more snide or combative could you get than by taking the time to edit your post to add the sentence

"Makes me wonder if you've ever been on a Celebrity ship."
I noted the change after I replied, you had changed to include that sentence, so have edited mine.

For the record I have been on exactly 7 cruise ships thus far, all on Celebrity. Some on these boards have even met me, and been invited to gatherings I've hosted in my suites along the way.

Edited by cle-guy
Respond to edited dkjretired post

Honestly, I'd have no issue with falling into lapse of the smart casual rule on the rest of the ship, as there literally would be no other option in that case, versus the MDR formal night, where there are other options.

I'd allow one with displaced luggage in the MDR all nights except formal night.

I also don't low who lost my luggage, airline, cruise line, the pier staff etc. So I wouldn't fault the Crusie ship either not having facts.

I can't see how I'm "dead wrong" when I am quoting and directly linking to the policy right on the X website, and reviews a recent Celebrity Today from my summit sailing, which also describers "evening attire" not "evening dining attire". This is from the Welcome Aboard daily I received on Sunday, May 25, 2014. It stipulates the dress code on both formal and non formal nights, and in neither are shorts mentioned as acceptable wear.

So it's actually YOU who are making the things up, unless you have a direct link to some other conflicting policy that what I have posted.

True they have not defined what hour "evening" starts but they also did not define what the word "attire" "evening" "aboard" mean among many others.

Common sense kind of instills evening starts when evening activities start - dining theatre additional bars open etc. At least that's what MY common sense tells me. Common sense tells me that since the word "shorts" is not listed under acceptable attire where they itemized a series of items that are, none of which relate to shorts, they are not welcome on the evenings. And common sense tells me that since they took the time to write the words "Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours"into the policy, the true intent is to not have shorts worn in the evening hours, whatever ones definition of "evening" may be I guess being the issue?

[edited to add]...

And how much more snide or combative could you get than by taking the time to edit your post to add the sentence I noted after I replied, your had changed to include that sentence, so have edited min.

For the record I have been on exactly 7 cruise ships thus far, all on Celebrity. Some on these boards have even met me, and been invited to gatherings I've hosted in my suites along the way.

You are dead wrong, you have provided no evidence and your interpretation has nothing to do with reality on the ships. This has been settled onboard Celebrity ships for at least 7 years, you are just making things up. The section you are linking to deals only with the restaurants and one exception, theater. Your failure to admit you are wrong just astounds me when everyone knows what the policy is. You are trying to say 2+2=5. End of discussion as far as I am concerned, can't argue with someone not in reality. I really thought you had a great deal of credibility but that's gone.

Edited by dkjretired

You are dead wrong, you have provided no evidence and your interpretation has nothing to do with reality on the ships. This has been settled onboard Celebrity ships for at least 7 years, you are just making things up. The section you are linking to deals only with the restaurants and one exception, theater. Your failure to admit you are wrong just astounds me when everyone knows what the policy is. You are trying to say 2+2=5. End of discussion as far as I am concerned, can't argue with someone not in reality. I really thought you had a great deal of credibility but that's gone.

I can agree to disagree without name calling and adding in rhetoric and hyperbole.

Well I guess you are correct. There are still people that send money to Africa when told they won the lottery. Then say "woe is me, I got hood winked". Silly them for thinking such a thing we all say.

No one plans and books a vacation to the mountains wanting to see the ocean. Or sails to the Caribbean and complains because they don't get to see a glacier.

No one on either side of this issue will ever convince the other side to look at it without their rose colored glasses on.

Time to put stuff in the dryer, oh, wait, should I hang dry them and save a tree?:D

Maybe, maybe not:

-- A man on a cruise around Alaska requested compensation for the warmer clothes he had to buy after failing to "get an impressive tan" and being unable to "swim in the swimming pool each day."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/cruise-complaints_n_2997142.html

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Exclude: To keep somebody out... To prevent somebody from entering... To prevent somebody from being accepted

Exclusionary: The act or practice of excluding... The condition of being excluded.

By definition, the mandated formal dress code in the main dining room is EXCLUSIONARY.

Identical twins, booking identical cabins, paying identical fares, are entitled to identical access to onboard amenities. Right up to the point where they put on different CLOTHES. Suddenly one is EXCLUDED from an onboard amenity, the Main Dining Room. I believe that proves beyond any doubt the concept of EXCLUSIONARY.

The fact that Celebrity (and/or other cruise lines) sanction a REQUIRED "formal dress code" does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

Blu is NOT exclusionary, because people dining there have paid for the extra service. Nor is the soon-to-be-offered "suite restaurant" as those in suites will have also paid extra.

A MANDATED formal dress code in any of the specialty restaurants is similarly NOT exclusionary, as you are paying for the extra service.

That many people (including myself) enjoy dressing up for formal night, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

That many people (including myself) have "willingly attended" alternate dining venues to comply with the dress code, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary. Many people in the past "willingly attended" the back of the bus, and alternate dining venues as well.

That Formal Night dress codes are so very blatantly and obviously modeled on exclusionary past traditions, that the dress code is so blatantly and obviously based on past "social class standing," should shame and embarrass those who support, or demand the continuation of the practice. (the exclusionary aspect as opposed to formal dress aspect)

As counterintuitive as it may sound, the addition of ONE SINGLE WORD to the present policy would change everything. The new policy would no longer be exclusionary. Those that WANTED to dress formally COULD... and those that did NOT want to dress formally COULD.

That ONE SINGLE WORD is *O*P*T*I*O*N*A*L*

Sounds like the epitome of "open minded and flexible," but I am fairly sure SOME will disagree. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, please don't make ME (or anyone else) accept a lower level of service, (buffet) or make ME (or anyone else) pay extra, (specialty restaurant) because YOU want to dress up, AND want to EXCLUDE those who DON'T.

Edited by teecee60

Exclude: To keep somebody out... To prevent somebody from entering... To prevent somebody from being accepted

Exclusionary: The act or practice of excluding... The condition of being excluded.

By definition, the mandated formal dress code in the main dining room is EXCLUSIONARY.

Identical twins, booking identical cabins, paying identical fares, are entitled to identical access to onboard amenities. Right up to the point where they put on different CLOTHES. Suddenly one is EXCLUDED from an onboard amenity, the Main Dining Room. I believe that proves beyond any doubt the concept of EXCLUSIONARY.

The fact that Celebrity (and/or other cruise lines) sanction a REQUIRED "formal dress code" does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

Blu is NOT exclusionary, because people dining there have paid for the extra service. Nor is the soon-to-be-offered "suite restaurant" as those in suites will have also paid extra.

That many people (including myself) enjoy dressing up for formal night, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary.

That many people (including myself) have "willingly attended" alternate dining venues to comply with the dress code, does not change the fact that it is exclusionary. Many people in the past "willingly attended" the back of the bus, and alternate dining venues as well.

That Formal Night dress codes are so very blatantly and obviously modeled on exclusionary past traditions, that the dress code is so blatantly and obviously based on past "social class standing," should shame and embarrass those who support, or demand the continuation of the practice. (the exclusionary aspect as opposed to formal dress aspect)

As counterintuitive as it may sound, the addition of ONE SINGLE WORD to the present policy would change everything. The new policy would no longer be exclusionary. Those that WANTED to dress formally COULD... and those that did NOT want to dress formally COULD.

Sounds like the epitome of "open minded and flexible," but I am fairly sure SOME will disagree. :rolleyes:

And yet when you board the ship you sign accepting those practices.... Do your research...

Edited by dkjretired

Cleguy

You are right about the rhetoric and for that I am sorry. This board is here for the purpose of giving people the correct information and your comments on this subject are not correct by any standards, Celebrity's, past practice, people on this board. It is only your interpretation, no one else's and it has not been the policy for several years now.

Edited by dkjretired

A MANDATED formal dress code in any of the specialty restaurants is similarly NOT exclusionary, as you are paying for the extra service.

I don't think your argument is very strong, and I am not sure where to start, so I'll just state the fact that Blu too, has a dresscode, and it is too exclusionary. Just as people pay for Blu, others pay for the cruise. I still can't show up to Blu in a bathing suit, because it too, by your definition, is exclusionary, no?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The last time I was on Celebrity was on Horizon sometime in the 90's I believe. Just went on NCL Getaway a month ago and took every advantage of freestyle. We are sailing on Reflection on 8 NOV and I want to follow the rules.

No arguments about if the policy makes any sense or is exclusionary or I ruin someone else's vacation by being improperly dresses. I simply want to clarify where I can go in the evening (whatever time we think that is) and how I am expected to dress.

The MDR is easy to me and is spelled out as is the large theater. As I read it, on formal nights I will be okay in a tuxedo or business suit and my wife will be fine in a cocktail dress or gown. Is this correct? In the theater for evenings, it is always resort casual or higher, correct?

My biggest questions come in with evening wear in other places on the ship. Are we not allowed anywhere on the ship in the evening in shorts? buffet? casino? outdoor bars? My wife has some very upscale jumpers are they allowed?

Hi,

I will respond to several posts that in turn highlighted my initial post, before this thread is closed by Andy:

Ma Bell[/b];43461204]Woody, there's a lot of difference in discussing a subject beforehand, when everyone knows exactly what the rules are, than once people are on board the ship. After boarding the ship, what you say is true and then no one knows what the circumstances are and at that point it's definitely Celebrity's business to enforce the dress code.

After cruising for many years, I can assure you there are very few people who don't know there are formal nights on the ship or have lost their luggage. As evidenced by these dress code threads, there are a number of people who are well informed but want to do as they please anyway. I can also say I've never seen anyone being disrespectful to someone who isn't dressed properly once on board the ship.

I think you would find that people who are respectful of the rules are also respectful of others.[/quote

Ma Bell,

Thank you for your response. I agree that there is a difference in knowing rules ahead of time…Perhaps I did not explain the premise of my post well. I am not saying that the dress code should not be adhered to…or that one shouldn't know the rules…I am just saying that we should all be less judgmental if we happen to see someone in the MDR on formal night, not properly attired. We have no way of knowing why they are dressed so…and I for one have complete confidence in allowing Celebrity staff to enforce/not enforce their rules and regulations as they best determine.

I too have cruised and traveled for many years…and regardless of the number, I do know that there are people who lost their luggage/weren't aware of the dress codes/or any of the other scenarios I mentioned…and like you, I have never witnessed anyone be disrespectful to someone dressed improperly…I have only read about such rudeness on here !

Just because it appears that someone "broke" the rules, does not automatically equate to disrespect…there can always be unseen circumstances that are the cause. So, unless I know the circumstance, I am not about to judge.

Well I guess you are correct. There are still people that send money to Africa when told they won the lottery. Then say "woe is me, I got hood winked". Silly them for thinking such a thing we all say.

No one plans and books a vacation to the mountains wanting to see the ocean. Or sails to the Caribbean and complains because they don't get to see a glacier.

No one on either side of this issue will ever convince the other side to look at it without their rose colored glasses on.

Time to put stuff in the dryer, oh, wait, should I hang dry them and save a tree?:D

Your response to my post makes about as much sense as saying 2+2=14…but just a quick reply to your example…I have stayed at many a vacation home and resorts on the side of a mountain…gazing out over the ocean…Divine !! Try it sometime !

And I am not on any side of the fence, and don't wear glasses…In fact, I adhere to the Celebrity dress code. It comes come quite naturally to me. I had a 30 year career where a dress code was enforced…(21 of those years when I was charged with enforcing it) and in fact non-adherence could/would result in discipline up to and including suspension and/or termination…or worse, injury or death.

cle-guy[/b]

Both if these arguments don't make it acceptable to not follow the rules. When one signs a contract, one acknowledges they have read its terms and conditions, part of which in Celebrity's case indicate the number of formal nights a on a cruise and what its reds code is. Sure we can just not read the stuff we sign out name to indicating that ere did in fact read it all, but we then have to take responsibility for that decision, in the case of formal nights and improper attire, the result of that decision is accepting that one will be eating in an alternate venue on that evening.

If I'm speeding thru Pennsylvania where the speed limit is 55 after leaving Ohio where it's 70, if I get stopped, I can't just say, oh well, "sorry officer, I didn't know about that, and I don't really care to follow that policy anyway, so excuse me, I'lll just continue on doing 70 MPH as I choose, after all it's MY car and I'll drive it anyway I like. Step aside and let me pass"

Email Me! I'm Curt...say HI if you see me on board!

First of all, I wasn't making an argument…and I didn't say my examples were acceptable…hence my wording "Is not knowing a valid excuse ? Perhaps not", and "ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse".

Secondly, in order to make your example…"factually more accurate" …in the USA, you most certainly can just say…oh well, sorry officer…etc.....and here's a breakdown of some possible ramifications

"sorry officer, I didn't know about that, I'd probably give you a warning, explain what the laws of this state are, and tell you to drive slower and safelyand I don't really care to follow that policy anyway, so excuse me, I'lll just continue on doing 70 MPH as I choose, after all it's MY car and I'll drive it anyway I like.I'd probably give you a wry smile as I handed you the citation, and then return to my cruiser, get on the MDB and let my fellow LEOs know what you are driving, and your direction of travel ! Step aside and let me pass"I'll just say...;);):D

The above are just my opinions of possible ramifications, after having enforced laws for 3 decades in 2 great states…your results may vary !!

Now, please don't bother responding to this post. I have spent my last minute perusing these forums. When the rudeness and negativity and nastiness make one almost want to avoid cruising, it is time to sever my addiction. And don't worry, I am not going to lurk, just to see if anyone responds back. I will ONLY use Cruise Critic again to check my Roll Call when I book my next cruise (to make sure certain folks are NOT onboard)…and to read cruise news.

I hold no ill-conceived notions that I will be missed on here. I however, will miss the helpful, kind, knowledgeable folks on here, who have helped me gain a great insight into cruising…that from my first cruise in 1974, up until I joined here, I was not aware of. Thanks to those who were always helpful, friendly, patient and passionate about the positive aspects of cruising; about discovering new lands and new cultures; about the chance to meet wonderful new friends onboard and experience the many amazing wonders provided on a cruise.

Thanks also to Andy and the other Moderators, who go out of their way, volunteering their time, to make this for the most part, a wonderful site.

To those I have become friends with…you know how to reach me…and please feel free to share my contact info with others who might enjoy staying in touch.

Adios All….Safe and Happy Cruising to each of you !

Woody

The last time I was on Celebrity was on Horizon sometime in the 90's I believe. Just went on NCL Getaway a month ago and took every advantage of freestyle. We are sailing on Reflection on 8 NOV and I want to follow the rules.

No arguments about if the policy makes any sense or is exclusionary or I ruin someone else's vacation by being improperly dresses. I simply want to clarify where I can go in the evening (whatever time we think that is) and how I am expected to dress.

The MDR is easy to me and is spelled out as is the large theater. As I read it, on formal nights I will be okay in a tuxedo or business suit and my wife will be fine in a cocktail dress or gown. Is this correct? In the theater for evenings, it is always resort casual or higher, correct?

My biggest questions come in with evening wear in other places on the ship. Are we not allowed anywhere on the ship in the evening in shorts? buffet? casino? outdoor bars? My wife has some very upscale jumpers are they allowed?

I've can't believe I've joined into a dress code thread!

You will of course be fine on formal night.

Your wife will be fine any other night in any fine clothing, except maybe shorts in the MDR, though that may not be an issue either. Some jumpers are shorts, some are long, long will certainly be no problem. I believe the only place you may actually have problem, in practice, anywhere on the ship, with shorts on resort casul evenings is the MDR.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

As long as your resort casual doesn't involve shorts, you are fine for the theatre. You're fine in shorts everywhere you described. It's the restaurants and theatre that shorts are not allowed. You'd probably feel out of place in some of the lounges in shorts on formal nights, but no one is going to kick you out

There are rules. You know them (or should do research to know them) before you board, when you are agreeing to cruise on that particular ship/line. You get onboard. You follow the rules.

In life many things are not black and white. By no logical person's reasoning can this be described as one of them, with the possible exception of perhaps clarifying a particular article of clothing not mentioned.

Seriously, is there anything more to say??? :eek:

Hi Woody,:) are you really leaving CC because of a dress code thread?:eek:

Awwww....don't do that.......I just quit replying to them.;)

Thanks also to Andy and the other Moderators, who go out of their way, volunteering their time, to make this for the most part, a wonderful site.

To those I have become friends with…you know how to reach me…and please feel free to share my contact info with others who might enjoy staying in touch.

Adios All….Safe and Happy Cruising to each of you !

Woody[/color]

Woody had I know that having a bit of Sunday afternoon fun on Cruise Critic was such a serious deal to you I would have stayed away from the party. I have opened the growler, it is flowing, and I would be glad to share a cold one with you at the Sunset Bar, or over a glass of red in my tux.

Hang around youngster, ( I am over 60, I can call anyone youngster! ) it is just a chat room.

EW

I was on the Horizon back in the 90s and the dress code applied all over the ship after 6:00P.M. Since then Celebrity has changed from having three dress codes to only two. At the same time they did this they eliminated the dress code being applicable all over the ship. Cruise Junky is absolutely correct. I only want to add a couple of things. As stated you are perfectly welcome anywhere in shorts except for the dining rooms, buffet excluded. They also request smart casual in the theater but realistically don't enforce it. If you go on formal night to the MDR or wear appropriate dress to the other restaurants, after you eat you are free to go back to your room and throw those shorts on. The formal night only applies in the MDR, nowhere else on the ship.

Lois:

Just wanted to back up Cruise Junky so the poster is not confused. I'm done with dress code threads.

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

Michael Corleone

Edited by dkjretired

I was on the Horizon back in the 90s and the dress code applied all over the ship after 6:00P.M. Since then Celebrity has changed from having three dress codes to only two. At the same time they did this they eliminated the dress code being applicable all over the ship. Cruise Junky is absolutely correct. I only want to add a couple of things. As stated you are perfectly welcome anywhere in shorts except for the dining rooms, buffet excluded. They also request smart casual in the theater but realistically don't enforce it. If you go on formal night to the MDR or wear appropriate dress to the other restaurants, after you eat you are free to go back to your room and throw those shorts on. The formal night only applies in the MDR, nowhere else on the ship.

Lois:

Just wanted to back up Cruise Junky so the poster is not confused. I'm done with dress code threads.

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

Michael Corleone

Thank you for the responses. This and the others answer my questions perfectly. Could always be worse: What should I tip while dressed in shorts now that I'm not allowed to smoke on my balcony? for example.

Thank you for the responses. This and the others answer my questions perfectly. Could always be worse: What should I tip while dressed in shorts now that I'm not allowed to smoke on my balcony? for example.

Depends..is that before or after you've smuggled vodka onboard in a mouthwash bottle? ;)

Thanks Don, I appreciate it