United Issues

TMLAalum

A friend of mine who is a frequent UA flier indicates that cargo is taking priority over pax on many flights. For example, pax are being removed from flights due to "overweight" (not them, but total fly weight) but it is cargo in the hold that is actually the issue. Of course, UA is not revealing that it's the cargo at fault, but that is the consensus among frequent UA fliers.

Any substantiation to this??

The only time I have ever seen a problem similar to what the OP is talking about is on the REALLY small puddle jumpers (turbo props) where there was a weight and balance issue. Then it was only when there was REALLY bad weather and they needed to bring on extra fuel. Even in those situations, they offered up $$$ to passengers to entice them to remove themselves. It was like an auction. They never dragged or denied a passenger off kicking and screaming.

I am a United 1K (100,000 per year flyer) and 1MM (over 1 million miles butt in seat miles) and have never seen IDB (involuntary denied boarding) in all that time. Airlines are very good at finding someone who is willing to deplane for a price, so I would not worry about IDB on a flight. It is so rare that you would be better off worrying about a car crash on your way to the airport, which is much more likely.

Every airline operates in a similar manner.

Yes, my friend indicated it seemed to be occurring on the smaller regional jets. Our upcoming UA flights include one Canadair segment (CLE-DEN) out of four. Not a comfortable plane for a 3+ hour flight.

Yes, my friend indicated it seemed to be occurring on the smaller regional jets. Our upcoming UA flights include one Canadair segment (CLE-DEN) out of four. Not a comfortable plane for a 3+ hour flight.

The is a regional JET not a turbo prop. The CRJ is actually quite nice. If you were on the Embraer then I would feel your pain. You will be fine. You booked the flight and there is nothing you can do about it now unless you want to suck it up and pay a $200 pp change fee plus changes in fares. Since you are based in CLE and United has decided to "de-hub" CLE then you will likely be stuck with a lot of regional jets in coming years.

The is a regional JET not a turbo prop. The CRJ is actually quite nice. If you were on the Embraer then I would feel your pain. You will be fine. You booked the flight and there is nothing you can do about it now unless you want to suck it up and pay a $200 pp change fee plus changes in fares. Since you are based in CLE and United has decided to "de-hub" CLE then you will likely be stuck with a lot of regional jets in coming years.

Oh gosh, I couldn't disagree with you more. I'll take the ERJ over the CRJ any day. I wouldn't want either on a 3 hour flight, which United lovvvvvves to do, but I'll take the ERJ any day.

For me United CRJ ORD to BOI, we are ready to push. Co-Pilot leaves the plane....

Seems are overweight in the baggage hold (CRJ that's the back of the plane behind the lavatory). They started bringing all the gate checked bags, rollaboards etc on to the plane and squeezing them into the overhead which is only on one side of the plane in a 1-2 seat configuration.

Crew was threatening to leave passengers behind if they couldn't get enough of the gate check out of the hold and into the plane. Making repeated announcements for passengers to identify any of their bags that could possibly fit in the overhead that was gate checked.

I assume they had an unexpected excess of checked baggage and no room/weight for the gate check.

No one was thrown off and we left 30 minutes late.

First and only time I experienced that on any airline, this was United.

We've flown often on both Embraers & Canadair jets and the older the plane the more worn the padding! Definitely agree with Zach about the longer the flight, the less comfortable either is! And I've flown a few turboprops, most recently on UA from BWI-CLE.

On our four intra-China flights on three different airlines recently, I was amazed at the comfort and service thanks to the use of 737s.

Brighton Line, your experience is similar to the one my friend shared. I am keeping fingers X'd that our flight to DEN isn't delayed as we have @60 minutes connect time there. We do have 41 hours leeway to make it in time to my niece's wedding....

Well let me amend one thing. I really don't like CRJ-100s or -200s. -700s and -900s are better. I love the idea of getting the one solo seat on the ERJ, though (they're 2-1 or 1-2 as opposed to 2-2). But if you get stuck on the "2 side" of the ERJ, it's not pleasant.

A friend of mine who is a frequent UA flier indicates that cargo is taking priority over pax on many flights. For example, pax are being removed from flights due to "overweight" (not them, but total fly weight) but it is cargo in the hold that is actually the issue. Of course, UA is not revealing that it's the cargo at fault, but that is the consensus among frequent UA fliers.

Any substantiation to this??

No.

My husband and I are both UA 1Ks and have never seen PAX removed from flights to make room for luggage or cargo.

They will never remove a passenger due to weight issues on regularly scheduled flights. Passenger luggage is a different story, and yes, certain cargo--in some cases by law--take precedence. US Mail, human remains, and human organs for donation are all higher priority than any passenger bag.

I asked my son, who is an RJ pilot and flies for United, about this. He said that the only time (in his experience) pax have been left behind due to weight restrictions, is if the pax are non rev stand bys.

Edited by purduemom1
Clarification of statement

Yes, airlines will IDB or VDB (Involuntary/Voluntary denied boarding) passengers in situations where they are unable to load enough fuel on the aircraft to reach the destination. No passenger aircraft can be both full of fuel and full of passengers, it's a balancing act. A couple of years back I was on an Alaska 737-800 MIA-SEA where 6 passengers were VDB'd due to strong headwinds, hence more fuel requirement, hence something had to give.

There's quite a difference between the variants of the Canadair Regional Jets; the CRJ700 / CRJ900(CRJ705) / CRJ1000 have a lowered floor vs the CRJ100/CRJ200, making the 700/900/1000s seem less cramped despite the basic tube being the same size. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples here... A quick looks shows that you're likely on a CRJ700

However, to a big extent, we're all whiners on this one. Often a small aircraft makes the difference between there actually being a non-stop flight and not having a non-stop flight and having to change somewhere else en-route.

I should have clarified that my response was related to cargo vs pax since that was what the OP talked about. Fuel vs pax....another issue.

I believe in my case it was a balance issue. Too much in the back could possible have a tail strike?

They really shoving those rollaboards into the overhead...

And yes they did threaten to leave people behind, they didn't just said it for motivation I believe.

I asked my son, who is an RJ pilot and flies for United, about this. He said that the only time (in his experience) pax have been left behind due to weight restrictions, is if the pax are non rev stand bys.

My son is also a pilot. United doesn't operate any regional jets. Your son must work for one of the regional carriers contracted by United and flying under the banner of United Express.

I believe in my case it was a balance issue. Too much in the back could possible have a tail strike?

More than a mere tailstrike; all aircraft have center-of-gravity limits. Too far aft can cause a plane to stall and crash on takeoff. Even within limits, the CG location affects efficiency and fuel consumption of the airplane. FAA regs require a weight/balance calculation before a flight. At large airlines a central Dispatch or Load Control office does the math and transmits the calculation to the captain for final approval. In small charter and feeder airlines the flight crew often performs the calculation.

Edited by kenish