Lisbon Hotels

yorkiemomjn

Judy, how was your June cruise on Marina? Would love to read your thoughts about it.

Hi Pam,

We had a great time, as usual! I will try to find the time to write a little about it! Two highlights in London, that I did not get to do on my first visit there, were Westminister Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms. DH loved the war rooms.

We loved all the ports!

Just starting to research for our 2015 cruise. Any recommendations for hotels in Lisbon? What area would be the best?

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have no idea what time of year that you are going, but we've been to Lisbon four times and each time the Four Seasons was running an amazing Sale:

http://www.fourseasons.com/lisbon/landing_3/?source=gaw10lisS05&kw=centre+city+lisbon+hotels&creative=20087792275&KW_ID=svA1NithQ_dc|pcrid|20087792275&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3IieBRDl1oG0gr_PweoBEiQAwGHVwwn8sXQ8nQIlIeAPvDqCffGKq_namFY754yfTS84B8saAlNG8P8HAQ

Lisbon is an inexpensive Hotel town, anyway, so there are always deals to be had at whatever level you're looking for, but if you want a taste of the best of the very best, you'll never see a Four Seasons priced less than the one in Lisbon. -just remember to ask for an odd numbered room, they face the park.

item2.size.four-seasons-hotel-ritz-lisbon-new-106949-3.jpg

I stay in too many large, impersonal chain hotels with work, so I consciously avoid them when on holiday.

Have a look at http://www.heritage.pt It's a group of 5 small family owned hotels, most of which feature in the Trip Advisor top ten for Lisbon. I favour the Solar do Castelo in the walls of the Castelo de Sao Jorge, but the Britania is a great choice for the city centre, and As Janelas Verdes is good if you will be docked at Alcantara.

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

the Ritz by Four Seasons is of course very nice but not cheap at all ( for lisbon )

i once stayed in a very old - but refurbished - hotel near the Rossio :

Avenida Palace - pleasant for a few days

i did not like the sheraton ...

the Altis in Belem is very nice as well -

I stay in too many large' date=' impersonal chain hotels with work, so I consciously avoid them when on holiday.

Have a look at www.heritage.pt It's a group of 5 small family owned hotels, most of which feature in the Trip Advisor top ten for Lisbon. I favour the Solar do Castelo in the walls of the Castelo de Sao Jorge, but the Britania is a great choice for the city centre, and As Janelas Verdes is good if you will be docked at Alcantara.

Couldn't agree more, the Solar is very special and possibly the best kept secret, but shhhhhhh please don't advertise this!.

Keep telling everyone to bunk up at the Four Seasons.....

:D

Just starting to research for our 2015 cruise. Any recommendations for hotels in Lisbon? What area would be the best?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Although we loved the Four Seasons twice we now stay at the Altis Avineda which is in a much more central location, also five star and fantastic.

Their suites are to die for and worth the cost.

I stayed at the Avenida Palace back in 2012 and highly recommend this hotel...great location, beautiful hotel and wonderful service. For a top hotel, I found the rates to be very reasonable.

Nancy

I too love the Four Seasons. Very sixties with huge public spaces that you just do not find in most hotels nowadays and a great breakfast. But it is a bit removed from the center of the city. Another hotel to consider is the Bairro Alto. Smaller, well located, more of a boutique.

the Ritz by Four Seasons is of course very nice but not cheap at all ( for lisbon )

i once stayed in a very old - but refurbished - hotel near the Rossio :

Avenida Palace - pleasant for a few days

i did not like the sheraton ...

the Altis in Belem is very nice as well -

We stayed at Avenida Palace last year for 3 nights and enjoyed the location and being in the historical building. Nice nooks on floors that folks got together and opened a bottle of wine to share or chat. Other public areas. Grand old staircase. It was great for walking to sites. We had breakfast included and it was excellent. We had plenty of space in our room.

My read on "AC" hotel Lisbon is

Fontecruz Lisboa. I've booked this for November, any tips?

multicolor_flashlight_hand.jpg

Bring a flashlight! :p That hotel is very stylized and a number of the hallways are deliberately BLACK with no lighting.

My father in law lost his cotton picking mind. :eek:

My read on "AC" hotel Lisbon is

Fontecruz Lisboa. I've booked this for November, any tips?

Different hotel than the AC.

We were ok with the AC, but thought it was a bit off the beaten track. It's up near Parque Eduardo VII. We kept finding ourselves trekking to the Chiado and Barrio Alto for dinner.

Hi Pam,

We had a great time, as usual! I will try to find the time to write a little about it! Two highlights in London, that I did not get to do on my first visit there, were Westminister Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms. DH loved the war rooms.

We loved all the ports!

Wonderful. If you liked the Churchill War Rooms, if you have a cruise itinerary that includes Malta, be sure to visit the Lascaris War Rooms in Valletta there. A superb guide who works there and fascinating insight into the war in the Med.

Edited by CintiPam

It's not for everyone, but I'm staying at Lisbonaire Apartments for one night next month pre-cruise. Each apartment (they range from Jr. Studios at 80 euros to one bedrooms for 145 euros to maybe bigger/more expensive) was decorated by an artist, so each one is different. Mostly modern, but fully functional with AC, bathroom, small kitchen. You can select your room, using the pictures on the web site. Not really cushy, but something different! Not expensive. Very close to the Avenida Palace and the Restauradores area near Rossio - very convenient for walking, metro and bus, cab, restaurants, Gloria funicular, etc. I like to find different places, and I'm really looking forward to this one. It gets good reviews everywhere I've looked, and was written up in the NY Times. Books up quickly for weekends, though - don't delay if you'll need a room then!

Edited by roothy123

Thanks for that suggestion, Roothy. I've bookmarked it for a future visit. We like the neighborhood and the apartments look comfortable is not, as you say, "cushy". Rather miminal furnishings but plenty of space. And I always like having a kitchen available, even if I'll only use it for a quick breakfast.

It would be nice to be able to find space for our luggage in our room which isn't always possible in the typical european hotel. (Although we tend to book high end suites on a ship, we're more minimal with our hotel choices.)

I know a great restaurant in the area if you are interested ... 'course, we haven't been there in a number of years now!

Mura

Thanks for that suggestion, Roothy. I've bookmarked it for a future visit. We like the neighborhood and the apartments look comfortable is not, as you say, "cushy". Rather miminal furnishings but plenty of space. And I always like having a kitchen available, even if I'll only use it for a quick breakfast.

It would be nice to be able to find space for our luggage in our room which isn't always possible in the typical european hotel. (Although we tend to book high end suites on a ship, we're more minimal with our hotel choices.)

I know a great restaurant in the area if you are interested ... 'course, we haven't been there in a number of years now!

Mura

Yes, I'd love a restaurant suggestion, as long as it's not too expensive or formal. (I may cruise on Oceania, but more often than not, it's in an inside stateroom, if you can believe that someone actually books those!) So far I have my eye on a fairly new place, Quermesse, that sounds great and is only a minute's walk from the Lisbonaire. I have heard of Bonjardim (I may have mispelled that) and it sounds good, but mostly for chicken, which I seldom order in a restaurant!

Roothy, Bom Jardim is FAR from expensive. (Then again, as I said, we were last there in 2010.) But as long as you already know about it I don't have to tell you just how to find it!

Their specialty is the roasted chicken but they also have some wonderful shrimp dishes. I used to order the chicken and Howard would get the shrimp, and we'd share. So don't worry if you don't want chicken. (The chicken IS fabulous however!)

We've been going there since 1999 whenever we are in Lisbon. And it won't break your budget.

Mura

Roothy, Bom Jardim is FAR from expensive. (Then again, as I said, we were last there in 2010.) But as long as you already know about it I don't have to tell you just how to find it!

Their specialty is the roasted chicken but they also have some wonderful shrimp dishes. I used to order the chicken and Howard would get the shrimp, and we'd share. So don't worry if you don't want chicken. (The chicken IS fabulous however!)

We've been going there since 1999 whenever we are in Lisbon. And it won't break your budget.

Mura

Thanks, Mura, and it's funny that we were both thinking of the same restaurant. I guess we probably both read Cruise Critic too much! Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Bom Jardim was expensive, as I know it isn't. Shrimp sounds good (assuming they're big, like what west coasters call prawns and east coasters call shrimp). We only have one night in Lisbon before we board Insignia, so we'll probably eat at Quermesse, but I definitely have Bonjardim in my (copious) notes, so who knows? Maybe MY Howard and I will share the chicken and shrimp!

I've also read things about Tronco near by that sound good. And another good thing I found out was that zomato.com has a lot of menus for Lisbon restaurants - if, of course, you can read a bit of Portuguese!

Edited by roothy123