Driving to Miami

SchoolNurseMom

Dh and I are sailing out of Miami in September. We will be driving from North Ga and are thinking of driving to St Augustine to spend the night then driving on to Miami on the morning of departure. We would get up and head out early to make it by late morning and to give ourselves extra time if needed. I am a weather geek and can keep an eye on any storm situations we need to be aware of. Anything else I have not thought of or overlooked? Thanks!

We stopped in St. A last year on our way to Orlando, which is 2 hours south on 95. Nice area with great outlet malls. Miami is another 3-4 hours away from Orlando depending on traffic on 95 or the Turnpike. So you're looking at at least total of 5-6 hours. I'd leave by 5 am if you must stay overnight there to bypass the rush hour traffic in Orlando. Otherwise, I agree with other posters to stay further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stopped in St. A last year on our way to Orlando, which is 2 hours south on 95. Nice area with great outlet malls. Miami is another 3-4 hours away from Orlando depending on traffic on 95 or the Turnpike. So you're looking at at least total of 5-6 hours. I'd leave by 5 am if you must stay overnight there to bypass the rush hour traffic in Orlando. Otherwise, I agree with other posters to stay further south.

Greetings

Travel from St Augustine to Miami should take you south on I-95. You will be no where near Orlando. Orlando is in the center of the state over 60 miles from the coast. There is construction from Melbourne south to Ft Pierce, but while the speed limits are slightly reduced there are seldom big delays. Traffic from Ft Pierce southward is usually pretty good until you hit West Palm Beach. Even Palm Beach county traffic isn't too bad, the tie ups usually occur in Broward/Dade. You are looking at a 300 mile trip but you should be able to easily do it in 5 hours.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Travel from St Augustine to Miami should take you south on I-95. You will be no where near Orlando. Orlando is in the center of the state over 60 miles from the coast. There is construction from Melbourne south to Ft Pierce, but while the speed limits are slightly reduced there are seldom big delays. Traffic from Ft Pierce southward is usually pretty good until you hit West Palm Beach. Even Palm Beach county traffic isn't too bad, the tie ups usually occur in Broward/Dade. You are looking at a 300 mile trip but you should be able to easily do it in 5 hours.

Good Sailing

Tom

I was basing my reply on going through Orlando if the OP wanted to take the turnpike down to Miami, which many think is faster than going 95 S all the way down. YMMV

I was basing my reply on going through Orlando if the OP wanted to take the turnpike down to Miami, which many think is faster than going 95 S all the way down. YMMV

Greetings

You can always pick up the turnpike at Ft Pierce if you wish to travel the toll road. Traveling 60 miles inland and then 60 miles back to the coast is not a time saving route. And Orlando traffic can be terrible.

Good Sailing

Tom

Thanks for the replies so far! Dh and I are still in the planning phase, so nothing is set in stone yet. I found someone to take over my school clinic on Thursday and Friday then we sail on Saturday! :cool: The plan, as it stands now, is to head out early on Friday and at least stop and checkout St. Augustine and the lighthouse. If we leave home by 5-6am, we can get through Atlanta before rush hour.

Thanks for the replies so far! Dh and I are still in the planning phase, so nothing is set in stone yet. I found someone to take over my school clinic on Thursday and Friday then we sail on Saturday! :cool: The plan, as it stands now, is to head out early on Friday and at least stop and checkout St. Augustine and the lighthouse. If we leave home by 5-6am, we can get through Atlanta before rush hour.

If you clear Atlanta by 7AM you should be in St Augustine by lunch. Visit lighthouse and fort then head to Cocoa Beach for dinner and watch ships leave. Really gets you in the mood. Plenty of hotels to choose from

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I'm just back yesterday from a cruise out of Miami and live in St Augustine (an actual native). I don't usually do this, but drove down the morning of the cruise (last Sat). It took me 5 hours - I left home at 7am, made a couple potty stops and was on board by 1pm. I did get on the turnpike at Palm Beach Gardens (because the GPS said it was quicker) but could have just stayed on I95. My return trip took a little longer only because I was in "work" traffic yesterday - nothing too bad since I was headed out of downtown Miami and most of the traffic was headed south.

Normally if I cruise out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami I stay around Ft Pierce - its about 3 hrs south of St Aug so you only have a couple hr drive the morning of your cruise. I know I'm in the minority but I would would drive down the day of again if I had to - just give yourself plenty of time incase of delay.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by LRY229