HAL the last line allowing balcony smoking

LMaxwell

But maybe tomorrow, next week, next month... "At this time" is a very flexible term. :)

That was the term that made some NCL folks angry -- The president of NCL said were't considering a change "at this time" - which was January

Times change :)

Was this someone in Seattle that answered the HAL phones? We know how accurate they are. ;)

So I guess take what HAL says with a grain of salt? I have called HQ in Seattle, as well as Mariners and they tell me changes are coming just do not know when. IMO which probably means nothing they are brushing me off or they are saying this to me and really have no idea at all what corp is going to do if any!!!

HAL is our line of choice, always will be. I know what smoking has done to me in my family when my mother died young at 59 of lung cancer! But it was her choice! Not mine, but I do understand how tricky this situation can be for HAL with revenues! I can only hope they to will stop balcony smoking!

Sorry for my personal side to this issue!

:)

3Star Mariners going for 4Star next cruise !

Sailing March/15/2015 14 day Caribbean Cruise Nieuw Amsterdam

FWIW, HAL may still be crunching numbers to figure out how a balcony smoking ban might hurt or help them. In recent travels, I met a man who is a consultant of some sorts and he said he was going to do some work for HAL to help them project cabin occupancy or something like that.

Could have been to do with this issue. Could have been some other issue, especially with them selling ships and having fewer cabins to fill. I commented that HAL seems to have trouble figuring out how to fill cabins because they have a lot of last-minute flash sales, and many people know to watch for those. He asked me how I knew that, and I said Cruise Critic. He asked if I work for CC. I said no, I just read a lot here. Then he didn't say anything more about what he was doing for HAL, probably so I wouldn't report it here.

Was this someone in Seattle that answered the HAL phones? We know how accurate they are. ;)

Actually no.

It was someone from public relations responding on the record to a member of the media (me).

It was a serious response.

HAL is not changing its policy at this time, a spokesperson told me.

I tend to believe this. I think you likely were told what the spokesperson thinks to be true and I think it will be at least a year before HAL actually bans it. They have to feel they make more $ permitting it than not. Health issues are less important.

Actually, when they know the inquiry is from the media and is possibly for publication, the PR people have to get an official statement from higher up.

I am guessing HAL got a lot of calls after Norwegian announced its policy, so they prepared a statement.

Actually, when they know the inquiry is from the media and is possibly for publication, the PR people have to get an official statement from higher up.

I am guessing HAL got a lot of calls after Norwegian announced its policy, so they prepared a statement.

My ex husband was/is still in the media. They let out what they want to let out. What do you expect them to say? We are planning to announce it two months from now. What you got was a non answer. Smoke and mirrors.

FWIW, HAL may still be crunching numbers to figure out how a balcony smoking ban might hurt or help them. In recent travels, I met a man who is a consultant of some sorts and he said he was going to do some work for HAL to help them project cabin occupancy or something like that.

Could have been to do with this issue. Could have been some other issue, especially with them selling ships and having fewer cabins to fill. I commented that HAL seems to have trouble figuring out how to fill cabins because they have a lot of last-minute flash sales, and many people know to watch for those. He asked me how I knew that, and I said Cruise Critic. He asked if I work for CC. I said no, I just read a lot here. Then he didn't say anything more about what he was doing for HAL, probably so I wouldn't report it here.

We could write a book on why HAL has problems filling cabins at higher price points (and in some cases at any price point). But smoking (which we detest is only a small part of the problem. When a cruise line targets a specific demographic (seniors who like to be in bed by 10) they should not be puzzled why they are not easily filling cabins. HAL continues to have some of the best itineraries in the business and we think this is their biggest asset. But many of their ships do not fit the cruising norm which is to provide lots of balcony cabins at reasonable prices. And trying to convince families (with young folks) to cruise on ships like the Rotterdam and Veendam...where there is only one small swimming pool is a tough sell. And try convincing a young couple (under 40) that the HAL Cats are the latest trend in live music! And have you tried to get some food at an HAL buffet at 9pm? At that hour, on a Celebrity Solstice Class ship I could go to the International Café and get nice snacks or desserts or go to the Lido buffet and get a huge variety, or go to the grill, or perhaps go to the pizza place. But on HAL there is nowhere I can go at 9pm other then to sit in my cabin and call room service. And suppose I want to go to a late night comedy show? Not on HAL!

These are just a few issues (not that important to myself and many HAL cruisers) that matter to many cruisers. HAL does a great job meeting the needs of most of their regular customers, but does not seem to have the ability to change to attract new customers.

Hank

We could write a book on why HAL has problems filling cabins at higher price points (and in some cases at any price point). But smoking (which we detest is only a small part of the problem. When a cruise line targets a specific demographic (seniors who like to be in bed by 10) they should not be puzzled why they are not easily filling cabins. HAL continues to have some of the best itineraries in the business and we think this is their biggest asset. But many of their ships do not fit the cruising norm which is to provide lots of balcony cabins at reasonable prices. And trying to convince families (with young folks) to cruise on ships like the Rotterdam and Veendam...where there is only one small swimming pool is a tough sell. And try convincing a young couple (under 40) that the HAL Cats are the latest trend in live music! And have you tried to get some food at an HAL buffet at 9pm? At that hour, on a Celebrity Solstice Class ship I could go to the International Café and get nice snacks or desserts or go to the Lido buffet and get a huge variety, or go to the grill, or perhaps go to the pizza place. But on HAL there is nowhere I can go at 9pm other then to sit in my cabin and call room service. And suppose I want to go to a late night comedy show? Not on HAL!

These are just a few issues (not that important to myself and many HAL cruisers) that matter to many cruisers. HAL does a great job meeting the needs of most of their regular customers, but does not seem to have the ability to change to attract new customers.

Hank

You sure do love celebrity. Without a doubt, it the worst cruiseline I've sailed on. Ive seen a lot of nightlife on hal cruises. You do longer cruises from the sounds out it. Do you really expect that people are going to be up late on a fifty night cruise! While i don't love everything that hal does i really wish you would stop saying they are so horrible in every post. I'm at a loss as to why you cruise with them. Not every 40 year old wants to stay up half the night and sleep until noon. I'm 53 now and i've never been that way. Ive never found the nightlife to be that much different on Princess or celebrity.

Edited by cruz chic

My source is NOT public relations. This is a personal relationship with someone I trust that is giving me correct information. If something different were to transpire that would be because of a change in corporate direction, not because it was some PR spin he was giving to me. PR can say anything they want to the media and then turn on a dime.

The irony is that Princess, after suffering a tragic fire (that is assumed to have been started by a lit cigarette that flew onto a balcony) modified all their vessels with fire suppression and detection systems on their balconies. Then, within a few years they decided to ban balcony smoking, after having spent millions to install those new systems. Compare this to HAL which will soon be the only mass market line to allow balcony smoking, and not have any kind of fire detection/suppression systems on the balconies. Hank

It's not a total loss for Princess to have done this, despite their current balcony smoking ban. There will always be those who try to sneak a smoke anyway, and Princess' ships will therefore be better protected than HAL's and others if a fire breaks out as a result.

My ex husband was/is still in the media. They let out what they want to let out. What do you expect them to say? We are planning to announce it two months from now. What you got was a non answer. Smoke and mirrors.

Gee, thanks for straightening me out there.

I never realized that PR people let out what they want to let out. :rolleyes:

All I was saying - in the midst of all the speculation that tends to run rampant here with some - is that the official word from HAL was that they were not considering a change at this time.

Of course they can change their mind tomorrow or next Wednesday. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that.

When I contacted HAL regarding this matter, it was to verify that the cruise line still allowed smoking on stateroom balconies, so I could use that statement in an article I was working on.

HAL could have said "we are considering a change" if that is what the company policymakers chose to say. But they didn't.

Interestingly enough, when I was writing about Carnival's smoking policy change a couple weeks ago, I contacted Norwegian and was told that yes, smoking is still allowed on stateroom balconies -- one week later, that was changed.

So yes, things can happen quickly.

All I was saying - in the midst of all the speculation that tends to run rampant here with some - is that the official word from HAL was that they were not considering a change at this time.

Of course they can change their mind tomorrow or next Wednesday. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that.

When I contacted HAL regarding this matter, it was to verify that the cruise line still allowed smoking on stateroom balconies, so I could use that statement in an article I was working on.

HAL could have said "we are considering a change" if that is what the company policymakers chose to say. But they didn't.

Interestingly enough, when I was writing about Carnival's smoking policy change a couple weeks ago, I contacted Norwegian and was told that yes, smoking is still allowed on stateroom balconies -- one week later, that was changed.

...but you made it sound like it was such a sure thing that HAL would not change their policy. Seems like you've done a complete reversal of that stance now:rolleyes:.

Most of the HAL staff that we would have access would not be aware of such policy changes, IMO, so asking the is a waste of time.

HAL is not changing its policy at this time, a spokesperson told me.

Well, Cruz Chic, I can't help how you interpret what I've written. :rolleyes:

Above is my first statement. (Note: "at this time.")

When someone suggested it was just one of HAL's phone jockeys who provided the info -- and we all know how that goes -- I replied that it was a serious statement given to a member of the media.

HAL knows they are on the record, and the statement was prepared accordingly.

I never said HAL was never going to change its policy.

It has been my experience in dealing with public relations reps from many cruise lines, that they answer questions mindfully.They know what they say will probably go into print.

Thus, HAL's response included "at this time" which leaves the door open for a change down the road.

To me, it seems as if they are feeling the squeeze and getting a lot of questions following up on Carinval and Norwegian's decisions.

Again, I only posted because there is a lot of speculation rather than facts.

And no, Cruz Chic, I have not changed my stance. Actually, I don't have a stance, was just reporting on a statement issued.

Suddenly, though, I am reminded why I seldom post here anymore.

Most of the HAL staff that we would have access would not be aware of such policy changes, IMO, so asking the is a waste of time.

I believe I do have access to different people. If you've read this thread - or at least my posts - I didn't just call HAL and ask someone customer rep who happened to pick up the phone.

I requested an update on the smoking policy from the company's public relations department - which deals with the media and formulates responses on the record.

Companies don't let lower level employees make statements to the press regarding company policy.

But I think a lot of people here would rather speculate and spin wheels, so have at it.

HAL is free to make its policies and change its policies whenever it chooses.

Maybe with all the media inquiries Seattle is getting, change might come sooner than we think.

Oceanwench has contacts that 99.99% of us do not have access to. I know as she was kind enough to help me make arrangements for pics on my last cruise for HALfacts

Well, Cruz Chic, I can't help how you interpret what I've written. :rolleyes:

Above is my first statement. (Note: "at this time.")

When someone suggested it was just one of HAL's phone jockeys who provided the info -- and we all know how that goes -- I replied that it was a serious statement given to a member of the media.

HAL knows they are on the record, and the statement was prepared accordingly.

I never said HAL was never going to change its policy.

It has been my experience in dealing with public relations reps from many cruise lines, that they answer questions mindfully.They know what they say will probably go into print.

Thus, HAL's response included "at this time" which leaves the door open for a change down the road.

To me, it seems as if they are feeling the squeeze and getting a lot of questions following up on Carinval and Norwegian's decisions.

Again, I only posted because there is a lot of speculation rather than facts.

And no, Cruz Chic, I have not changed my stance. Actually, I don't have a stance, was just reporting on a statement issued.

Suddenly, though, I am reminded why I seldom post here anymore.

Please do keep on posting. Thank you for taking the time to ask and letting us know:D. It is very appreciated since it wasn't speculation.

I believe I do have access to different people. If you've read this thread - or at least my posts - I didn't just call HAL and ask someone customer rep who happened to pick up the phone.

I requested an update on the smoking policy from the company's public relations department - which deals with the media and formulates responses on the record.

Companies don't let lower level employees make statements to the press regarding company policy.

But I think a lot of people here would rather speculate and spin wheels, so have at it.

Maybe with all the media inquiries Seattle is getting, change might come sooner than we think.

So I guess you have connections with the upper level people in public relations, where I could only get some info with what you said the lower level employees. Good for you at least we are getting true info from you. Why isn't HAL's public relations putting out the comments?

SAILING date: Nieuw Amsterdam March 15/2015 B2B Caribbean Cruise

3Star Mariner

Jul 26, 2013 ms Nieuw Amsterdam Europe Mediterranean 24

Feb 18, 2012 ms Oosterdam Mexican Riviera

Feb 16, 2011 ms Zaandam Mexican Riviera

Dec 26, 2010 ms Oosterdam Mexican Riviera

Apr 06, 2009 ms Zaandam Circle Hawaii

Nov 11, 2008 ms Ryndam Mexico Sea Of Cortez

Sorry, no offense intended. I was just pointing out that in most cases it is a waste of time to ask. With you higher level contacts, that is a different story.