New job vacation, need advice VERY bad?

Agree, do not mention it until you have a job offer. You are not hiding anything...you don't even know when the job starts and if you aren't hired then all of this really doesn't matter. Just worry about getting the job now and then when you get an offer tell them. My husband just dealt with this and he is the CFO/COO. He didn't mention our paid for vacation until he was offered the job and they had no problem with it. My son's girlfriend also had this issue last year when we were about to cruise. I told her to wait until she was offered the job, she did and it worked out just fine and she was able to go on vacation with us.

Good luck today!!

Thank you all SOOOOO much for all the advice. I'm off to the interview in just a few minutes. I need to work closer to home, well REALLY want to so this is a big deal for me. I will not mention the vacation till I am fortunate enough to get an offer. Thanks again SO, SO much!

..... I need to work closer to home, well REALLY want to so this is a big deal for me.....

OK, OK.... It sounds like this job is really important for you.

So this one time, just change your name on the reservation to mine, and I will go.

:D

Well let me just say I killed in the interview, absolutely killed. Its the same thing I'm doing for the state that I'd be doing here so they liked that. I did not tell them about the vacation, but they did say at the end "do you have any questions for us". Do you think I should have said something there?

Well let me just say I killed in the interview, absolutely killed. Its the same thing I'm doing for the state that I'd be doing here so they liked that. I did not tell them about the vacation, but they did say at the end "do you have any questions for us". Do you think I should have said something there?

You should always try to have a question prepared to ask but I would not have said anything about the planned vacation at that point.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the rest of the interview went well, you have nothing to be concerned about.:) Did they tell you when they will be making a decision? Are they almost done interviewing candidates or are they just beginning?

I hope you get the job and are able to make your vacation.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the rest of the interview went well, you have nothing to be concerned about.:) Did they tell you when they will be making a decision? Are they almost done interviewing candidates or are they just beginning?

I hope you get the job and are able to make your vacation.

They have just a few more interviews I think they said. They also said they want to make a decision by tomorrow or the next day, they specifically said they want to move VERY quick on this. I'm doing the same type job now just on the state level which makes me think I have a very good shot.

Glad the interview went well!! Make sure you come back and let us know that you did get the job.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you very much and I will let you know what happens. I talked to several people today and they all said it was smart NOT to say anything at the interview and to tell them when or if they offer the job.

Well no call today, so I am a bit nervous and discouraged. I mean they said they'd make there decision today or tomorrow. A lot of politics played with township and municipalities jobs. Ya just never know.

Well I'm quite discouraged. They said they'd make there decision Wednesday or Thursday, no call today on Friday. I emailed someone from there too, and they didn't answer. Its the same job that I do for the state so I don't get it. A lot of politics I guess.

Just FYI, I think you made the right decision.

We go on a two week vacation for our anniversary every year. I can't tell you how many jobs I've started with a vacation planned. People vacation....it's part of our landscape so it's not like something you need to hide! I work for the government and always had a lot of time, but still.

But I agree....why even bother telling anyone about a vacation unless there is a reason to. Unless you like hearing the details yourself, it's completely unnecessary to discuss.

As far as discussing it when they asked if you had any questions, don't worry about that. If you had a question, you would have thought of one! I would never think up of questions to ask before I even interviewed. Too scripted. It would not impress me if someone came in with questions they had even before the interview. Maybe that's just me though.

If it is meant to be, it will happen.

And unless you are working for Homeland Security, I can't imagine a company that would expect you to cancel a vacation as a condition of employment.

Good luck!

Well I'm quite discouraged. They said they'd make there decision Wednesday or Thursday, no call today on Friday. I emailed someone from there too, and they didn't answer. Its the same job that I do for the state so I don't get it. A lot of politics I guess.

Don' be discouraged, even I they want to make a decision fast all kinds of things can get in the way. I run interviews and have to make recommendations to the boss, so even if I have 'made a decision' it still has to be signed off on. I have had them get sick and not come in for a few days, or just be busy and not get to it - I even heard of someone making a complaint that they didn't get an interview and the whole thing having to be reviewed!

Don't mention the cruise until offer. It is not being dishonest but the interview is just that, a job interview not a time to talk about vaca plans.

I have been in you situation and when I got the offer I then mentioned my vaca plans. It was months after I started and not a problem. I didn't get paid for time off since I hadn't accrued vaca time but that's fine.

Also, as a previous poster mentioned, you can state you can miss vaca if a problem, if you do get the offer. I've done that as well and guess what? I went on the vaca. Give them the final say on whether you go on the cruise or not but again, wait until job offer.

Your cruise is at the end of August. You will give 2-3 weeks notice for your current job and there's usually a few days to a couple of weeks to job offer. My hunch is that you would probably start after the cruise anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't get discouraged yet, even on jobs where they want to move quickly, things happen and the whole thing gets sidetracked. Maybe one of the other interviewees had to reschedule, maybe the decision maker took some time off, you never know.

Well I did not get 1 of the 4 positions and I still have no idea why. They hired 3 people with absolutely no experience when I have been doing the same exact job for the state only on a much larger scale. The 4th guy they hired used to work there and quit, and again I just don't get it. My cousin and friend that work there are very angry at the whole situation. Oh and two of the guys they hired are 50 years old, and again I just don't get it. Anyway that is last time I try to get a job with a township, all politics, no brains.

Well I did not get 1 of the 4 positions and I still have no idea why. They hired 3 people with absolutely no experience when I have been doing the same exact job for the state only on a much larger scale. The 4th guy they hired used to work there and quit, and again I just don't get it. My cousin and friend that work there are very angry at the whole situation. Oh and two of the guys they hired are 50 years old, and again I just don't get it. Anyway that is last time I try to get a job with a township, all politics, no brains.

Bummer! So sorry this happened. . . . but, at least you are not second guessing yourself that it was mentioning the cruise that did it.

I've been on both sides of the hiring equation; no sense trying to figure it out.

'Bout the best thing I can say is that it wasn't meant to be and there is probably a good reason why - you just don't know it yet. (Maybe a job that is better for you is just around the corner).