Future cruise deposit denied

This is my first thread on this forum.

Background: on our last cruise, we met with the future cruise agent and paid $100. deposit for a future cruise. We noticed the OBC was only $25. for a 7 night future cruise but it was higher if you booked a specific cruise on board. The agent said the are discouraging open future cruises. Unfortunately we did it anyway.

Through our TA we just booked a 7 night cruise on the Freedom this July 27th, only 10 days away, and gave him our future deposit info. He was told they could not accept our $100 future cruise deposit because we were getting some kind of special discount. The TA went to the next level and got the same answer. We didn't think it was that special.

To me, if they accepted the $100 deposit that meant they had to give us the lowsy $25. OBC. We are D+ and will eventually use it but will never buy a future deposit again. I have a hard time understanding this because they have free money to invest. Anyone this was our current experience and just wanted advise what is currently happening.

Augie

I don't understand why you could not use the Next Cruise certificate. The only thing that comes to mind is that the NC may not have been booked in the travel agent's name, so the travel agent could not use it.

Actually a similar thing happened to me. We used a Future Cruise booking to book an Alaska Cruise on Rhapsody this past May. I am an Airline Pilot, and am eligible for "Interline" rates. About a month before the cruise the "interline" rate for a Junior Suite dropped to $300 less than what we paid for a D-1 Balcony. I called my TA and RCCL said that since Interline Rates are "deeply discounted," you can not use a Future Cruise booking for it. You also can't get the D+ cabin discount on Interline but I already knew that. I was not looking for any refund, only an upgrade. Since the rate was $300 less than what we paid, I only wanted to upgrade for no cost. The TA had RCCL on the line as she was telling me this, so I simply suggested they take away the $100 OBC from the Future Cruise booking and treat it like a normal booking. After a bit of discussion they agreed and we upgraded to the JS for only the loss of $100 OBC....great deal. And, to my surprise, I got onboard and the still awarded us the $100 OBC. I had received the $250 D+ discount on my D-1 so I was a bit afraid they'd want that added back in, but it was never mentioned.

So, call up your TA and just tell them to drop the OBC and treat the booking like it was never a future cruise, and get the rate. But it seems to be the policy, and I imagine it's written somewhere, that Future Cruise cannot be used with certain deeply discounted rates. I think that's stupid as the only advantage to a Future Cruise is the $100 per person deposit and the OBC. But it guarantees that you'll book again, so you should be able to use it for any rate that you are eligible to book. But then again, I don't make the rules.

i had an open NC obc and had to sign a paper transferring it to a TA before she was able to use it and we were actually part of an agency group booking. Perhaps that is why you couldn't use it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Background: on our last cruise, we met with the future cruise agent and paid $100. deposit for a future cruise. We noticed the OBC was only $25. for a 7 night future cruise but it was higher if you booked a specific cruise on board. The agent said the are discouraging open future cruises. Unfortunately we did it anyway.

Through our TA we just booked a 7 night cruise on the Freedom this July 27th, only 10 days away, and gave him our future deposit info. He was told they could not accept our $100 future cruise deposit because we were getting some kind of special discount. The TA went to the next level and got the same answer. We didn't think it was that special.

To me, if they accepted the $100 deposit that meant they had to give us the lowsy $25. OBC. We are D+ and will eventually use it but will never buy a future deposit again. I have a hard time understanding this because they have free money to invest. Anyone this was our current experience and just wanted advise what is currently happening.

Augie

The reason is the future cruise booking is allocated to you personally unless you had it put through your ta

For your ta to be able to use it which they can is to have you fill a special form and fax it to royal to release the booking to xyz travel so that they can deal with it as their booking

This takes days to accomplish and hard work on yours and the tas part

You have to plan ahead if using on board booking certificates or do the booking with rccl yourself

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Augie

The reason is the future cruise booking is allocated to you personally unless you had it put through your ta

For your ta to be able to use it which they can is to have you fill a special form and fax it to royal to release the booking to xyz travel so that they can deal with it as their booking

This takes days to accomplish and hard work on yours and the tas part

You have to plan ahead if using on board booking certificates or do the booking with rccl yourself

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is the form: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/TA_TransferForm.pdf

It is extremely easy. :)

There are some low rates that aren't combinable with future cruise certs. There is a rate call TA Friends and Family that is very low and usually on sailings within 30 days. The rate can't be published. and combinable because it's so low. You could book at current pricing and use it.

Edited by kristikae

Chances are that it's because of the rate for the cruise you are booking. Certain rates cannot be combined with future cruise bookings. I would suggest that you do what was mentioned previously...ask that they remove the $25 OBC and treat it like any other reservation. Since it's so close in, you're paying in full either way so that shouldn't matter. You may need the TA to get someone higher up to get the change put through.

i had an open NC obc and had to sign a paper transferring it to a TA before she was able to use it and we were actually part of an agency group booking. Perhaps that is why you couldn't use it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here.

I was extremely disappointed to find that they are discouraging the program that used to be called "Decide Later"...booking a non-specific cruise. We used it in the past and decided to do the same in June while on board. I went to the agent with my SeaPass card and a Royal Caribbean credit card and placed them on the desk ready to put down a deposit. He was so uninterested in even talking to me about it that he turned to his computer, clearly letting me know that he was done with the discussion, and moving on to surfing the internet or answering e-mails...who knows. I had watched him do the same thing to the gentleman he talked to before me. $25 OBC? A joke. So if they don't want to bother, why not just do away with it completely? Don't insult me by treating me this way. Seems they are not doing well with the other program either if they are treating those that book a specific cruise like this. RCCL seems like they think they don't need any incentives to fill their ships.

I was extremely disappointed to find that they are discouraging the program that used to be called "Decide Later"...booking a non-specific cruise. We used it in the past and decided to do the same in June while on board. I went to the agent with my SeaPass card and a Royal Caribbean credit card and placed them on the desk ready to put down a deposit. He was so uninterested in even talking to me about it that he turned to his computer, clearly letting me know that he was done with the discussion, and moving on to surfing the internet or answering e-mails...who knows. I had watched him do the same thing to the gentleman he talked to before me. $25 OBC? A joke. So if they don't want to bother, why not just do away with it completely? Don't insult me by treating me this way. Seems they are not doing well with the other program either if they are treating those that book a specific cruise like this. RCCL seems like they think they don't need any incentives to fill their ships.

I agree with you. Now we have to waste our time and the LA's time to book specific cruises, and just change them later.

They clearly don't care much about the open ended program. If someone wants to put down a 100.00 deposit on nothing for 25.00 OBC go for it. I don't see the point. But don't call it an "insult", it's just a change - either use it or don't. Seems pretty much pointless to me and RCCL has obviously made the same decision. Accept it and move on, they clearly aren't interested if the customer doesn't want to set a future cruise ship/date.

Edited by bouhunter

I agree with you. Now we have to waste our time and the LA's time to book specific cruises, and just change them later.

And what if you use a TA and don't book directly through RCI - now there's no way I can take advantage of the higher OBC. The only advantage we have now is the reduced deposit.

We may not purchase any more of these, unfortunately. And I just used my last "old" one:mad:

And what if you use a TA and don't book directly through RCI - now there's no way I can take advantage of the higher OBC. The only advantage we have now is the reduced deposit.

We may not purchase any more of these, unfortunately. And I just used my last "old" one:mad:

You can still use it. Book while on board and transfer it to your TA when you get home.

Thank you, didn't know you could change after you booked a specific cruise.

They say that they reserve the right to reduce the OBC from a booked onboard OBC amount to the $25 if you change it. As far as I know there have been reports of people making one or 2 changes and keeping the higher OBC. No one knows yet at what point they will consider a booking to have been changed too often.

Edited by molly361

If the cruise you are on was booked with a TA, then they will normally book the future cruise with the same TA. If you don't want that, you need to tell them up front.

If the cruise you are on was booked with a TA, then they will normally book the future cruise with the same TA. If you don't want that, you need to tell them up front.

Yes but what about the price? I get a discount with my TA. How does that work? Would I have to keep RCI's price or will they allow the price reduction from my TA?

My discount is greater than the OBC I'd get so if I need to go with RCI's price then I'm losing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes but what about the price? I get a discount with my TA. How does that work? Would I have to keep RCI's price or will they allow the price reduction from my TA?

My discount is greater than the OBC I'd get so if I need to go with RCI's price then I'm losing.

Your TA should be able to adjust the price after you book onboard.

They clearly don't care much about the open ended program. If someone wants to put down a 100.00 deposit on nothing for 25.00 OBC go for it. I don't see the point. But don't call it an "insult", it's just a change - either use it or don't. Seems pretty much pointless to me and RCCL has obviously made the same decision. Accept it and move on, they clearly aren't interested if the customer doesn't want to set a future cruise ship/date.

I think the insult may have been that the future cruise consultant turned his back on the poster, not that the new program is a disappointment.

RCI prohibits TAs from discounting prices, so it may be that your TA has group space available that was booked early. When you call to book the cruise, the price has gone up, so it looks as if you're getting a discount when in fact the TA is just allocating a held cabin to you. It can't hurt to ask your TA to move your booking into the group and gettig his or her advertised price - I don't know if RCI will go along with it, but there's only one way to find out. If not, you can just cancel the onboard booking without penalty (if you're US/Canada and outside of final payment) and book into the group, using a future cruise certificate if you have one. Sometimes you just can't have it all.:(

I think the insult may have been that the future cruise consultant turned his back on the poster, not that the new program is a disappointment.

RCI prohibits TAs from discounting prices, so it may be that your TA has group space available that was booked early. When you call to book the cruise, the price has gone up, so it looks as if you're getting a discount when in fact the TA is just allocating a held cabin to you. It can't hurt to ask your TA to move your booking into the group and gettig his or her advertised price - I don't know if RCI will go along with it, but there's only one way to find out. If not, you can just cancel the onboard booking without penalty (if you're US/Canada and outside of final payment) and book into the group, using a future cruise certificate if you have one. Sometimes you just can't have it all.:(

Thanks for your insight.

It's not a group booking - I know that for sure. And it's not interline or any other restricted rate. I've never had any problems combining benefits with my rate in the past. And it's not a publicly published rate - RCI gets all their money.

If I cancel don't I forfeit my $100 deposit I paid for the future cruise certificate?

Before they changed the benefit everything was working perfectly. And, no, sometimes you can't have it all. But when you had it and then it gets taken away it doesn't mean you have to like it - accept it, yes. Like it, no.:(

Life goes on and we'll continue to cruise.:D

...If I cancel don't I forfeit my $100 deposit I paid for the future cruise certificate?...

That is how it's supposed to work, but some have reported being able to cancel with full refund once a cruise is assigned to the NC.

Augie

He future cruise certificate lowers the deposit required. Your cruise requires full payment now because you're booking after the final payment date. Using the future cruise certificate for this cruise would be a waste of the benefit of the lower deposit benefit.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app