Solstice 4th July Alaska Review

Groovybusybee

Hi Folks, Here's the link to my review. A good cruise, but not great. Regards Debbie

Appreciate Debbie's link and comprehensive review from your experience on "our" Solstice. Having done the Solstice for the second time during our Australia-NZ adventure early this year, I can understand your views/concerns on the MDR. Most of our meals there were good or OK. Nothing bad. BUT, there is room for improvement in that area as we experienced. And, you, too!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 67,162 views for this fun posting.

Nice review....food rated 3 not so great...inflexible not allowing a choice of potato over rice.I often ask for double veggies and no starch,...now that we dine in Blu we are very happy

glad your mom had a nice trip and Congrats on your retirement

how was the music and entettainment?

With the exception of the female singer who sang ( or should that be screeched) every night in the atrium area before late seating dinner, it was good.

The jazz type band and singer who played later in the atrium were very good.

The shows we saw were pretty standard Celebrity fare, Dad particularly enjoyed the magician. We tried to get to Sin City but a 9 hour time difference and fresh air didn't mix well - we were usually back in our cabins by 11pm.

D

So very sorry about your experience in the MDR. A baked potato is always available, they will make substitutions without question. I think this is a matter of a bad waiter and you should have reported this to the Matre D. I believe they would have addressed the issue immediately. I often ask for baked potatoes instead of the rice or vegetable that comes with the main dish. I am happy that the rest of the cruise went well. If you did not already complete your on line survey, I would definitely mention this and name the server,

How was your Tracy Arm Fjords experience ? ( other than very early in the day....:):rolleyes:.)

Was Brent Nixon a nice and useful complement to the serenity of the Fjords & Glacier?

I trust the public decks were appriopriately devoid of any music or waiters hard-selling Liquor and Hot Chocolate....( unless doing so with the applicable discretion...)

Cheers

Well the advantage of being 9 hours ahead time wise was that this didn't feel like an early start - we were already up!

I can't comment re the music or any hard sell by waiters as we got off the ship and didn't return until the ship was tied up in Juneau. Our trip was late getting back, due to seeing so much wildlife! We saw a young black bear on the return trip so the captain let us watch him for 20/30 minutes.

This trip was the highlight of the trip for me, eagles, harbour seals, whales, bear and the glacier calving - everything I went to Alaska to see!

Brent Nixons talks were fantastic - do not miss. I didn't enjoy Miss Amanda's as much but still good.

Yes, I did complete me on line questionnaire and reported our experiences. One unexpected positive of our MDR experience is that now I am home again (we tagged another week on in Canada) is that I weighed myself yesterday morning, I have lost 3.5 lbs - every cloud has a silver lining! :)

D