When first night is an overnight question

go noles

Looking at the 10/2 Ruby Princess out of Quebec City. I'm finding expensive and hard to get there. Most cost effective seems to be to fly to Montreal and then travel on to QC.

The first night is an overnight in QC and the ship leaves at 5 PM the next day. Does anyone know how late Princess has staff available to check passengers in?

Also, if anyone has any advice on best way to get from Montreal to Quebec City I would appreciate it.

I took this cruise last year and thought this was the best port. That is the reason they overnight.We stayed at the Port royal Hotel which was great.http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155033-d1165043-Reviews-Le_Port_Royal-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

Nice rooms and great breakfast. If I had it to do over again I would probably stay on the top of the hill at a hotel near the Fronteac as I did not enjoy the walk up the hill( There is a funicular) Fronteac was under renovation and expensive.

You could check in to the ship the second day. Some did on our cruise

We flew to Montreal & stayed there for 2 nights before taking a comfortable train ride to Quebec. On the train ride we saw the best fall colors during our cruise to Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I live in Quebec City. I wonder why you wouldnt fly into Quebec City airport.

I travel a lot and prices from Quebec are very similar then from Montreal.

I would be curious to know from what city you are coming.

Continental, USAir and Delta are all coming to YQB.

If you really have to, there are buses you can take at Montreal airport that goes to Quebec City downtown. its a 3:30 hrs ride tho.

You will love walking the old city, Quebec City has been named the best port of call on the planet. ENJOY :)

Pete

Looking at the 10/2 Ruby Princess out of Quebec City. I'm finding expensive and hard to get there. Most cost effective seems to be to fly to Montreal and then travel on to QC.

The first night is an overnight in QC and the ship leaves at 5 PM the next day. Does anyone know how late Princess has staff available to check passengers in?

Also, if anyone has any advice on best way to get from Montreal to Quebec City I would appreciate it.

go noles,

We are sailing on the 10/2 cruise out of Quebec. We are flying into Newark on 9/30 and spending the night. Then catching an early train to Penn Station to take the Adirondack train to Montreal on 10/1. After an overnight in Montreal, we are taking the Orleans Express bus to Quebec on the morning of 10/2. Hopefully will be on the ship by early afternoon.

We have taken the train before, but the luggage allowance on the train is not as generous as on the bus. Some people also rent a car and drive from Montreal to Quebec.

GFT

I was so curious to see why you find it hard to fly to Quebec City I made a quick search...

there are many flights from Tampa to Quebec with 1 stop for about $400 Can per person. Found that on any flight web sites.

That was 1 way. I dont know how much u save going throught Montreal but it cant be that much that its worth taking a $70 bus ticket plus a 3:30 hours long ride.

Pete

Hmmm...I don't think so since Continental doesn't exist any more :)

I am a Air traffic controller at the airport. Call them the way you want they still have the continental colors :D

They are flight from many hubs :

From JFK, Newark, Ohare, Philly

The ones coming to YQB are the feeders like Air Wisconsin comes for USAIR etc etc

Pete

I researched the Oct 22 Ruby cruise at length and the fares from Denver were $700pp plus. :(

Just made a search on expedia...

Denver - Quebec Oct 21st

+

Fort Lauderdale- Denver Nov 3rd

$435 Can per person

Really cant understand why you can find them...

Pete

We took a HAL cruise that overnighted in Quebec last year. I was glad that we stayed the night before in a hotel. There's so much to do and see that you'll want more than one day if possible.

Wonder when they will have Muster Drill?

Would that be a factor in the time someone would need to arrive to board the ship? :confused:

LuLu

For my overnight in Quebec they had the muster like on other cruises shortly before sailing on the second day.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We boarded a cruise in Quebec City a couple of years ago at about the same time of year. We flew into Manchester, NH on Southwest and then drove a rental car from there to Quebec City. It's about 350 miles and takes about 6 to 7 hrs. of driving. There may also be some delay at the border. The drive was beautiful - thru the foliage in the New Hampshire and Vermont mountains. We did the one way rental thru Hertz and it was only about $150. The Hertz location was downtown and they drove us to the ship when we turned in the car. Southwest has several flights daily from TPA to Manchester, some of them non stop (and the bags fly free). As others have said, Quebec City is a wonderful place.

Edited by mreasier

We just got back from a HAL cruise that began in Quebec with an overnight stay. We were flying in on the first day of the cruise and I was concerned about what would happen if our flight were delayed. So I contacted HAL and they told me their check-in desks were open until 10pm on the first night and that if we got delayed until the 2nd day, just to let them know and they could arrange to check us in on that date. (Fortunately, we had no problems with our flight to Quebec.) I imagine if you contact Princess, they will also be able to give you this information.

I don't know what the logistics are for you to fly to Quebec vis-a-vis Montreal, but if it is at all possible for you to do go directly to Quebec, I highly recommend doing so. First of all, the airport is very small and so easy to navigate. The taxi rate to the cruiseport is fixed (around CDN$ 34 as I recall). But, most of all, Quebec is a fabulous city and you will want every available hour possible to tour it.

We have done a 7 day from Montreal to New England and a 10 day with overnight stay from Quebec to NYC. Both times we flew into Montreal. The 10 day cruise we flew into Montreal mid day and drove to Quebec City the day before the cruise. We stayed at the Chateau du Frontenac in a suite. Since it was under restoration, we were compensated on the cost of the room, free bottle of bubbly, and a box of chocolate goodies. We had free parking and use of the concierge level amenities. We had been to Quebec City before and wanted to see more of it than walking the old town. We drove all over the town the arrival night and later the next morning, dropped our luggage off at the port at 10AM, turned in the rental car and boarded the ship. Yes, we could have flown into Quebec city but the mid flight airport was Detroit for Delta at that time and I did not want to go thru that horror story. Knowing the territory and planning ahead has given us all memorable cruises. Would we go back to Quebec City again, you bet, get me a ticket to fly there!

• 1 month later...
Our safety drill was the next day right b4 we left port. guess we were safe sitting on the dock

We will be on the 10/2/2014 and the ship will move positions during the night a few miles away. I was wondering about the muster drill since checkin is until 11 p.m. the frist day before moving

I am a Air traffic controller at the airport. Call them the way you want they still have the continental colors :D

They are flight from many hubs :

From JFK, Newark, Ohare, Philly

The ones coming to YQB are the feeders like Air Wisconsin comes for USAIR etc etc

Pete

And how many of those flights do you call Continental flight :;/: and give them instructions to land. I think I will skip flying into Quebec with that kind of Air Control going on. One additional reason to fly into Montreal.

We are on the Princess ship Oct 2. I checked flying into NYC then taking a bus, or taking a train. I checked flying into Montreal, then renting a car, or taking a train, or taking a bus. I found us seats OW $165 MSP-YQB. So happy to be flying directly into Quebec City.

For Potstech; you really shouldn't be such a smart as to an Air Traffic Controller....