New format for Elite breakfast, at least on Equinox. Started today 28 june

cruisestitch

Yesterday we had the three tier system

Today there are menus,

No new items, no items taken away

There is the salmon (and accompaniments) platter, meat platter, cheese platter, fruit platter, pastry platter and "ultimate" combo platter

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old system, where you just helped yourself to whatever you wanted and they took your drink orders at the table.

Thinking of the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D

Today there are menus,

There is the salmon (and accompaniments) platter, meat platter, cheese platter, fruit platter, pastry platter and "ultimate" combo platter

If I understand you correctly, and these are all separate platters rather than a single 3 tier one with different varieties on each tier, that might work for me. How are the breads and butter/spread/jam etc. served?

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old system, where you just helped yourself to whatever you wanted and they took your drink orders at the table.

Thinking of the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D

Quite! For me the best system is the old one (but with a staff member serving as in Code Red situations).

Interesting, as I'm not a fan of buffets this may appeal to me. I was never taken with the old system anyway so an order system might mean I would have elite breakfast more often :) I'm on equinox in 9 weeks so would be interested to learn more, thanks for the info cruisestitch :)

Having just come off the Summit with the tested system you describe, how can you not like it. Someone comes to your table with a menu with all the same stuff you always have gotten with a buffet but someone serves you. It is much better plus when we on the Summit they told you why they were doing it and it was because of the health inspections. It seem that when there is carpet on the floor which can happen on some of the ships especially on the M class ships in the restaurants and they serve a buffet it is not recommended by the inspectors and has been pointed out to X. So they decided to try the tray system and fine tuned it to the ordering and then are taking it out to the S class ships and other M class ships. Nothing has been dropped from the buffet, even the small bagels if you ask. The larger bagels were served but when I asked they brought them. How can you not like the new system. My only concern was when a larger elite group like a TA is present will the service be as good as a normal cruise. It remains to be seen. At least they are trying different things to eliminate chances of sickness.

What happened today, from what I saw at nearby tables was that nobody wanted the whole salmon plate or the whole fruit platter. So they said things like "I would like two pieces if salmon, strawberries only no raspberries, one croissants and one bagel" and rack persons order was constructed separately. It worked ok today because we are at a port w early shorex and we had a late night last night but it will be a huge problem on a TA

Sounds a bit wasteful if they are premade platters. All I ever had was the papaya and DH took his favorite cheese. Sometimes he took a small roll.We eat early and pop in for the social and a cup of tea for me and orange juice for him.

I couldn't tell if the platters were actually premade and waiting for us, or made up one a time as passengers ordered them, but will ask more question tomorrow.

We were also told that the reason stemmed from the carpeted floor in Tuscan.

On both Eclipse and Solstice earlier this year, the serving tables were moved to the entrance of Tuscan which has hard floors. That seemed like a perfect solution to me.

Or why not just remove a few square meters of carpet in the center of the restaurant and lay tile?

It appears that the solution they chose us MUCH more labor intensive

I prefer the mini buffet where you can pick what you like. We use sanitizer and hand wash so do not mind touching the serving tongs

I take meds that react w/grapefruit so do not want that on my platter, dh is a no for onions, etc etc... and how long will food sit in the back on these pre plated selections...

leave it alone! Use of menus (which can also spread germs) and table service will require increased staff or more likely slow things down quite a bit...

I couldn't tell if the platters were actually premade and waiting for us, or made up one a time as passengers ordered them, but will ask more question tomorrow.

We were also told that the reason stemmed from the carpeted floor in Tuscan.

On both Eclipse and Solstice earlier this year, the serving tables were moved to the entrance of Tuscan which has hard floors. That seemed like a perfect solution to me.

Or why not just remove a few square meters of carpet in the center of the restaurant and lay tile?

It appears that the solution they chose us MUCH more labor intensive

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Did they say what the problem with a carpeted floor is, as I'm struggling to see what difference serving pre made platters to each table makes, as the server still has to walk over the floor and other guests will still be walking in and out past you, as will the Maitre D and possibly CC Host.?

What happened today, from what I saw at nearby tables was that nobody wanted the whole salmon plate or the whole fruit platter. So they said things like "I would like two pieces if salmon, strawberries only no raspberries, one croissants and one bagel" and rack persons order was constructed separately. It worked ok today because we are at a port w early shorex and we had a late night last night but it will be a huge problem on a TA

That will be me if we are able to do that!! But as you say, problems will occur on sea days if large numbers of Elites are on board, especially on the "M" class ships which have a smaller area available for use in the deck 3 restaurant, and no potential overflow areas nearby unlike the "S" class.

I don't understand why a buffet canot be set up on a carpeted floor but maybe someone familiar with US public health law can explain it. As I said, there are other solutions to the problem, so maybe someday we will see the buffet return.

As to the menu as a source of germs, after the first day there probably won't be much need to look at it again, since it won't ever change.

Butter is available on the tables. They bring jam packets or honey packets if desired.

I prefer being served, rather than buffet, so when I reach Elite (after next cruise), I hope it stays this way - it is a lot more classy. Wondering if the change is because of sneeze guards and not the carpet (if it is the carpet, it might be because people overfill their plates and spill it on the carpet).

Edited by NLH Arizona

I have read on another thread that the reason for eliminating the buffet style was becasue of the lack of sneeze guards and that makes more sense.

If carpeting was the issue then i think there should be more concern with any food in the cabins.

Happy sailing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Wonder how this new system will work for me- I require Lactose free food, so all the available fruit was brilliant!
Couldn't you just ask for the fruit platter or ask for just the type of fruit you like. I'm sure if you tell your server you are lactose intolerant, they will be more than happy to accomodate you. They seem to be great with all kinds of food allergies or those that require certain diets.

Sounds like a change for the better....my only concern is that there is limited seating (especially on transatlantics) and the process of having to have an order taken, food delivered sounds like it will slow things down....making finding a seat a bit harder.

We sailed on Summit in May with the 3 tiered system. We liked the "old buffet" way better. We could pick and choose what we wanted not what they have already pre-made.....and YES they would bring you extra or things that weren't on the tray when asked for but I saw so many trays being taken away that were hardly even touched.

Probably the reason they would rather have the venue on tile floors rather than carpet is they are able to mop and sanitize the tile floor, but even after vacuuming the carpet , a lot of food particles stay in the fabric.

My issues with the change are:

Sometimes they are so busy that it takes a while to be served (I wish they would let us get our own coffee!)

I have allergies, so fruit is something I need to see for myself what I can and cannot eat

I have read on another thread that the reason for eliminating the buffet style was becasue of the lack of sneeze guards and that makes more sense.

If carpeting was the issue then i think there should be more concern with any food in the cabins.

Happy sailing

Sneeze guards make a lot of sense. Do people really want people coughing and sneezing on the foods as they take theirs, thus passing what ever they have on to everyone else. If everyone had manners, it would be one thing, but many don't. Has anyone ever been to a buffet, other than on a cruise ship, that doesn't have a sneeze guard?

According to the FDA: A sneeze-guard consists of a barrier, usually glass or plastic, which is placed in front of and well above displayed food to block contaminants expelled from a customer’s mouth or nose. Sneeze-guards are sometimes referred to as food shields or food protective devices.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Probably the reason they would rather have the venue on tile floors rather than carpet is they are able to mop and sanitize the tile floor, but even after vacuuming the carpet , a lot of food particles stay in the fabric.

Well, Plan A (3-tier platter) didn't work, so now they are trying out Plan B. If that doesn't work, I'm sure there will be a Plan C. :D

Today there are menus,

Please explain. What. Is an Elite breakfast?????

Please explain. What. Is an Elite breakfast?????

It's part of the "loyalty" program. Once you reach the "elite" level, there is a private more or less continental breakfast room where you can dine rather than going to the buffet or MDR.