A Question for "Old Celebrity Hands"

jan-n-john

I'd like to get a sense from those who have sailed several times on Celebrity whether the overall satisfaction differs among the various ships and if so is it a big difference or hardly enough to matter.

Put it this way. Hypothetically, if there were two ships available for the same itinerary, same dates, same price per cabin class, same everything, but one is a Solstice class and one Millennium class, and you could pick either one, which would you pick and why? Or is it a toss up.

Edited by jan-n-john

We have sailed on both M-Class and S-Class ships. We simply prefer the size of the M-Class ships. We haven't found the service or the food to be any different between the two classes.

Only because of the preference of the design and certainly not the service all is very good, but my wife and I going forward have agreed to only sail on the Celebrity S Class ships. :)

I'd like to get a sense from those who have sailed several times on Celebrity whether the overall satisfaction differs among the various ships and if so is it a big difference or hardly enough to matter.

Put it this way. Hypothetically, if there were two ships available for the same itinerary, same dates, same price per cabin class, same everything, but one is a Solstice class and one Millennium class, and you could pick either one, which would you pick and why? Or is it a toss up.

Hi Jan-n-John,

I believe you will get a huge variety of opinions on your question. IMO, both classes of ships are wonderful. For us, It's mostly a toss up. Maybe a slight edge goes to the S-Class, as the ships are newer, but we are just as happy on the M-Class. As I always say - a day on a cruise ship, is far better than a day at work ! Hope this is helpful.

I prefer the S-class ships, but when the itinerary I want is available only on an M-class ship, I don't hesitate to book it. My last two cruises were on Summit, an M-class ship, and my upcoming one is on Eclipse, an S-Class. Love them all!

You will get a wide range of opinions, but personally I'd pick the solstice class every time. I just love look and feel of the newer ships, although I have not been on an M class ship since they were modernized.

Having only done two Celebrity cruises, both on the Solstice, so I am not sure whether I would quality as the perfect expert. But, I am "old" or "middle-aged" depending for how one considers these things. We have sailed on three other lines, all on smaller ship and somewhat upscale, in Europe.

Our bottom-line is looking first at where the sailing is going, the ports, etc. That's our view and priority. Not a specific ship or size/category. Have not done a Carib cruise. I would do an M-class ship if it was going where it was of interest to us and fit our budget/schedule. To Celebrity's credit, they have their ships going in many different part of this interesting world. Good for them. Really like the Solstice-class and the general value/options that they offer.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 68,592 views for this fun posting.

Prefer the S class ships but not by much and I would not hesitate to book either. Reason is I like the Solarium better on S class as I am a melanoma patient and enjoy pool area without going in Sun. Also, prefer more options available on S class.

We've done around 20 cruises on =X= and have been on every class of ship from Horizon to Silhouette.

Honestly, for us, the most important aspect is itinerary and price. I know your question was hypothetical, but don't think you would ever find the exact same itinerary and the exact same price on an M class and a S class. For us, those would be the deciding factors since we have things we like and don't like about each class and sail each with absolutely no regrets.

If it is between the S Class and M Class, I prefer the M Class. I like the ships with the smaller passenger count. The S Class runs between 2,850 to 3,046, while he M Class runs between 2,138 and 2,170 passengers. Service and food have pretty much been the same on both Classes, but still prefer less passengers. I've got three cruises book; two on S Class and one on M Class, so if it is an itinerary I like, it really doesn't matter.

There is little difference in service and food between the M and S Class in our opinion. The S Class ships are new and have a few more bells and whistles. That begin said, we prefer the smaller M Class ships, as we also prefer a ship with fewer passengers. As can be seen, we would not hesitate to book either.

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

We like both. Size of M class. A little more traditional feeling.

Buffet is better on S class since they were originally designed with stations. Elegant but Atrium is loud. Some tables are too close in MDR, but that maight now also be true on M class.

Great martini bar.

I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Go on either.

Does not include Century. It is C class. Smaller, but doesn't seem as roomy. Still a nice ship.

Greetings

The M-Class ships do not have a Molecular Bar which both my SO and myself really enjoy. That being said, we have two upcoming cruises booked on Connie, so I guess the itinerary won out over the S-Class.

Good Sailing

Tom

We like both...BUT this decision would depend on the number of "sea days" if there were quite a few, as in a TA, we would choose the Solstice class just because it IS bigger with more choices of things to do. If it were a port intensive cruise we would choose based on price and cabin availability.

M-Class has T-Pool and Promenade but is short re public rooms. Back of buffet is open with smoking allowed.

We prefer the Persian Garden, Buffet, and Specialty restaurants on S-Class.

Eclipse is our favorite of Celebrity ships. Book a hump veranda or Aqua Class.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

We'd pick S Class (better spa area) even though no T pool like on M class but depends on the dates and itin..Refurbed ships are not always that great but we will be trying Connie again for a short cruise...

Silhouette (Lawn Club Grill) and Equinox (Silk Harvest) have been fun...have forgotten much of Solstice since our two trips on her.when she was newer.....we have to see what we think of Reflection this fall...maybe too many pax for same amenities......

I guess we are old, old hat, Zenith/Horizon and Century 2x all in the 90'ties, S-Class (Reflection) last Nov, and no M-Class to date.

The Zenith had been our 'Gold' standard by which all other sailings were compaired, untill the Reflection. We found the ship itself very easy to get around, well designed and laid out. We had friends with cabins forward, and others that were aft, we were on the hump.

The 2 story design of the MDR is visually nice, open, and inviting, not crowded feeling. The only area that could get crowded feeling, was the bar outside Michaels leading to the speciality resturants.

The Sunset Bar on the Aft is a very nice place to sit and be mindless to everything but the deep blue water flowing around the Ship.

Tho we normally enjoy a smaller style ship after reading here, and thru the experiences of friends who like the M's, we are sold on the S-Class.

Edited by wallie5446

As a person who likes to sip a drink while listening to live music before dinner, we enjoy M-class more. The Rendezvous on M-class is our favourite lounge. We just don't like the grand foyer as a place to stand while sipping a drink since there are so few seats available.

We like M-class for practicality, S-class for splendour.

As a person who likes to sip a drink while listening to live music before dinner, we enjoy M-class more. The Rendezvous on M-class is our favourite lounge. We just don't like the grand foyer as a place to stand while sipping a drink since there are so few seats available.

We like M-class for practicality, S-class for splendour.

We feel the same way. For appearance, we like S-class, but for comfort and convenience, we like M-class.

Definitely prefer hanging out in the Rendezvous lounge for having a drink and listening to music rather than in the noisy atrium on S-class ships, which seems more like a busy lobby of a modern hotel.

Never understood why they would put the library up there.

Holland America is the cruise line that got the concept of a cruise ship library right, a quiet room for reading or daydreaming with great expanses of windows looking out to sea.

I'd be happy on either. For some reason I have a bit of an affinity for the M class but DH prefers the larger S class ships, although he wishes the T pool was available on them.

The one thing I've found is that there seems to be more vibration and movement on the S class ships so if you might be prone to motion sickness it could aggravate it.

They're all beautiful but the S class ships are stunning. With either choice you won't be disappointed.

We've been on all 3 classes as well. Love the Rendezvous Lounge (with real dance floor) & aft elevators on the M class. Love the hot glass show, great layout for buffet, Molecular Bar & hump cabins on S class. I'd go with whatever itinerary interested me more. Wouldn't hesitate to book M or S class

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk