LIVE from the Noordam-- a Disasterdam

cruiser4801

I don't, Terri. I think he's been around a while...we just haven't had the opportunity to cruise with him.

I know he's the Hotel Director on our cruise. I asked Mark in February if he would be on the Noordam in October and he said he would...so this change must have been unanticipated. Maybe they were having issues on Westie and needed him there. Don't know.

I'd like the scoop on Ron Bontenbal, too.

Edited by innlady1

I don't know who the present HD is but the new Hotel Director as of August 3 is Ronald Bontenbal. Anybody know anything about him?

Maybe that will make a difference.

Terri

Ron is the best of all the HD's I've had the pleasure of cruising HAL with.

The man is loved by crew and passengers alike.

If Noordam is not a happy ship (not me saying that, just repeating what I've read here on CC) it could be that he is running atighter ship than they have been used to.

Joanie

I don't, Terri. I think he's been around a while...we just haven't had the opportunity to cruise with him.

I know he's the Hotel Director on our cruise. I asked Mark in February if he would be on the Noordam in October and he said he would...so this change must have been unanticipated. Maybe they were having issues on Westie and needed him there. Don't know.

I'd like the scoop on Ron Bontenbal, too.

Well it should be interesting. I will try to post live if I am able. I don't know if I am considered "credible" enough on this board.

Terri

If Noordam is not a happy ship (not me saying that, just repeating what I've read here on CC) it could be that he is running atighter ship than they have been used to.

Joanie

That would be my take on things having met him. BUT I did not see an unhappy crew. We had a captaincy change mid-cruise (planned) and nobody lost a beat.

Joanie

He's not there yet Joanie. He's scheduled to join the Noordam on August 3.

Terri

He was there when we had our M&G on June 22. The captain switch occurred on Fri., June 27.

I am running the M&G and the ship coordinator emailed me today that Ron was scheduled to join the Noordam on Aug. 3 as the HD. So maybe he was off the ship for a while and will be coming back on Aug. 3.

Terri

Well it should be interesting. I will try to post live if I am able. I don't know if I am considered "credible" enough on this board.

Terri

Of course you're very credible, Terri! I would love your input as we sail 10/19. I will email the Onboard Events person and ask him to confirm whether or not Ron will be on our cruise. Someone on our Roll Call made mention of it.

Of course you're very credible, Terri! I would love your input as we sail 10/19. I will email the Onboard Events person and ask him to confirm whether or not Ron will be on our cruise. Someone on our Roll Call made mention of it.

Thank you Sheila. i try to call the shots as I see them and be objective.

Terri

Thank you Sheila. i try to call the shots as I see them and be objective.

Terri

Please post.

We'll look forward to your comments. :)

Have a great cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

I agree. My cruise on the Westy in April was not great. It had just come out of drydock. Several people decided to dispute several things that I said because theirs was great. Things can change drastically. I had 2 cruises on the NA in 2012. One was wonderful and the other was not great. Same ship, two different experiences.

If two cruises on the same ship in the same year were so different, could it not be that the passenger mix, the itinerary, the weather, your attitude, etc. were more responsible for the different results than the condition of the ship or the level of service?

Sorry, Mr. Bontenbal has been on NODM since 29 May; Another HD (not Mr. Pells) is relieving him and joining on 03 Aug

Thanks,

When I set up the M&G the first communication I received was the HD was changing on Aug. 3. The second communication was that it would be Mr. Bontenbal. I took it to mean that he would be joining the ship on that day. Do you know who the HD will be?

Terri

Terri

I would be very interested to read any comments you make about your Noordam cruise.

Thanks,

When I set up the M&G the first communication I received was the HD was changing on Aug. 3. The second communication was that it would be Mr. Bontenbal. I took it to mean that he would be joining the ship on that day. Do you know who the HD will be?

Terri

Simon Tanner

I've sailed this lovely lady 5 times. Most recently in February 2014. They had just returned it with some new amenities. The Pinnacle Grill staff are wonderful and extremely professional. Do not let one negative Nellie spoil your good time. Back on in September to see the Mediterranean. So excited. Trip Number 6.

Thank you for the votes of confidence. I can't promise a daily report but will try to post a few reports during the cruise.

We are spending a few days in Rome pre cruise and another two post cruise so we will be gone a full month. We are really looking forward to this trip. We have not booked and ship shore excursions. They are all private tours or taxi drivers that we know from prior Med trips or from recommendations.

We have had one disappointment already. The port of Naples was changed to Salerno. This is the second time that HAL has done this to us. In 2011 the same thing happened on the Nieuw Amsterdam. DH and I were all set to go to Capri on our own and the port was changed. Same thing this time. It is not possible to go to Capri from Salerno without doing the ship tour, which is $180 pp as opposed to 40 Euro pp on the Ferry round trip from Naples. Big difference!

Anyway, we now have a nice drive along the Amalfi Coast planned, so all is not lost. I have been to Capri, but DH has not. Maybe he will get there someday!

Terri (Soon to be live from the Noordam)

Edited by Cruzin Terri

We do not recommend the Noordam and especially the Neptune Suites there to anyone anymore. After booking Neptune Suites for the past six years on HAL, we have seen service gradually decline to the point that it is downright awful on this ship. We are taking our business to Oceania or Celebrity.

Hate this happened to you as someone who has normally been happy with HAL.

At least you are willing to consider another cruise line. :)

We only have cruised on HAL 4 times ... but do have a HAL booked. It'll be interesting to see the changes. Since it's a short 7 night on Ryndam, it won't be that long even if there are problems.

LuLu

My family paid over $17,000 for a Neptune Suite for 22 days on the Noordam in the Mediterranean. We are on day 17 or so and this is by far the worst cruise we have ever been on. The ship is tired and beaten as is the crew. Service is failing everywhere on the ship. The espresso machine in the Pinnacle Grill has been broken for 15 days and no effort is made by the staff to get a specialty coffee elsewhere. The Maitre D has been absent on two of only 4 visits we have been made to the PG. We have found the PG staff to be among the least responsive anyhwhere and with an attitude to boost. The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge also broke down for 5 days. Laundry is returned with the same stains that ther were sent with. Getting our Signature Beverage Package Card took 4 days because we were told they were very expensive. After spending as much as we have on a Neptune Suite, the response was insulting.

The ship is full of Europeans that have been offered cut-rate deals to sail because there are not enough Americans, Canadians or Australians to fill the ship. This is not a luxury line by anyone's measure. The pool cushions are old and stained. The carpet throughout all areas is in dire need of replacement. The Noordam has seen better days. Cutbacks are evident since most passengers are locals who paid reduced rates. Pity those of us who paid full freight.

Personal items left on the pool deck and in the dining room have never been found.

We do not recommend the Noordam and especially the Neptune Suites there to anyone anymore. After booking Neptune Suites for the past six years on HAL, we have seen service gradually decline to the point that it is downright awful on this ship. We are taking our business to Oceania or Celebrity.

Thank you for commenting on your disappointing Noordam experience.

Just to shock you and agree ;) - We found the ship and crew to be excellent in March. There were complaints about the laundry coming back dingy, and all the Explore 4 reservations definitely taxed the Pinnacle.

We had zero problems with the laundry and dry cleaning service when we sailed the preceding month. We also stayed in Neptune Suites on both of our 11-day cruises on the Noordam two years apart. It has been the only ship that returned the laundry back the same day--both cruises. Even when we have stayed in the Pinnacle Suites, we have never experienced that same day service.