LIVE from the Noordam-- a Disasterdam

cruiser4801

LOL, sapper! Good one......

On another note, I will certainly report back on my findings in October. It will be interesting to see if she has morphed into an old lady...kind of like me. :eek:

Well that morphing business is a hazard. You look in the mirror one day and everything is fine and the next time you look you wonder what the heck happened! :eek:

On a serious note, I look forward to your report.

Oh my I laughed out loud at these two posts.. DH is wondering what's up..

For years I would not admit to being a senior citizen!;)

After 9 years of using a HP printer, which never failed - it finally failed.. Bought a Canon All In One & tried to install it myself.. Took me several hours to install it but could not figure how to put the ink into it.. The written instructions were no help, so called Canon & said to the nice phone Rep... "I have a problem & I'm an old lady".. The Canon Rep. never even laughed! :eek::eek: That hurt!

Sorry to hijack this thread but thanks for the laugh..

Hope the Noordam irons out it's problems, as we liked that ship..

We are jsust about to set sail on our first cruise on Sun 3rd and are Europeans - British / English, whatever. We did not get a cut price cheap cruise and are staying in a verandah cabin. We also have to fly to get to the embarkation port.

Are 'Europeans' inferior to Americans / Canadians / Australians?? Sorry if I am taking this the wrong way but this is how the OP makes it sound!

I do hope we wont come across any of this attitude onboard as that would not be nice at all. I believe HAL was born in the Netherlands or am I mistaken?

I am really looking forward to meeting people from other countries and visiting some lovely places. I understand if a person is unhappy with service and the ship looking worn etc but the other comments could be construed by some as offensive.

I was only looking on here for recent reviews.:eek::)

Oh dear.

We are jsust about to set sail on our first cruise on Sun 3rd and are Europeans - British / English, whatever. We did not get a cut price cheap cruise and are staying in a verandah cabin. We also have to fly to get to the embarkation port.

Are 'Europeans' inferior to Americans / Canadians / Australians?? Sorry if I am taking this the wrong way but this is how the OP makes it sound!

I do hope we wont come across any of this attitude onboard as that would not be nice at all. I believe HAL was born in the Netherlands or am I mistaken?

I am really looking forward to meeting people from other countries and visiting some lovely places. I understand if a person is unhappy with service and the ship looking worn etc but the other comments could be construed by some as offensive.

Oh dear.

Don't worry. That was only one person's comment and I'm sure does not reflect the majority of cruisers. It certainly does NOT reflect my opinion. I love Europe (at least the little I've seen of it). You have such history and uniqueness (is that a word?). Love love love the culture, the landscape/scenery and the climate not to mention the food, wine, OLIVES, etc. Mmmmm....my mouth is watering just thinking of the delicious marinated olives we bought in Spain at an open air market which we ate on our verandah with cheese, crusty rolls and wine. Sigh. Marvelous.....

Oh dear.

You will find alsorts on the ship, including us.

We will try not to act too British in case we find ourselves in the company of the OP.

:-)

If you read OP's rant with a reasonably careful eye, you would have found a number of points not worth being taken seriously. There are some who feel so entitled that if any one thing disappoints them they become over-critical about everything. These sorts are best simply ignored - and left to wallow in their own ( largely self-generated) misery.

Have a lovely cruise.

Oh dear.

That statement by the OP turned me off along with the statement that personal belongings were removed from chairs by the pool. How could they disappear unless they were unattended? Unattended translates into saving chairs for me (another term is widely used here but I didn't use it as I don't want to assume).

IMO and experience the attitude that seems to have shown ( whether unintentional or not) is the exception not the rule.

Everyone is equal on a HAL cruise. Please don't let this colour your expectations and have a great cruise.

If you read OP's rant with a reasonably careful eye, you would have found a number of points not worth being taken seriously. There are some who feel so entitled that if any one thing disappoints them they become over-critical about everything. These sorts are best simply ignored - and left to wallow in their own ( largely self-generated) misery.

Have a lovely cruise.

Thank you.

No, you're not---inferior, that is. Go, and have a nice time. I am sure that you'll find that most of us who cruise to far away places are interested in other cultures, and open to differences.

Yes, the OP was offensive, but is not representative of most cruisers.

Thanks for the responses, I just found a couple of the comments a little concerning really. Us 'Europeans' have made a bit of a contribution over the past few millenia (I wont mention colonisation of the new world or Australia as it may prove unpopular and its not really an excuse to give us a free or very cheap cruise):D:D

Regarding the OP's complaints about Europeans: I have taken one MSC cruise. It was wonderful and I hope to take another. However, there were many foreign languages spoken by the pax and after a week it gets to be a bit much- people jostling for position in tender queues whom you can't ask a question of, people frozen over a salad with a pair of tongs whom you can't ask to move without a pantomime, more smokers, and in MSC's case many announcements given in other languages (and no, not the five languages over the tannoy- I'm talking groups of people being spoken to by cruise staff). It's fun for a while but then it gets old. And this was a Colombia/Panama/CR/DR cruise!

I'm not excusing away anything here- I'm married to a non-US citizen. I'm just saying it might get tiring to be a fish out of water.

Regarding the OP's complaints about Europeans: I have taken one MSC cruise. It was wonderful and I hope to take another. However, there were many foreign languages spoken by the pax and after a week it gets to be a bit much- people jostling for position in tender queues whom you can't ask a question of, people frozen over a salad with a pair of tongs whom you can't ask to move without a pantomime, more smokers, and in MSC's case many announcements given in other languages (and no, not the five languages over the tannoy- I'm talking groups of people being spoken to by cruise staff). It's fun for a while but then it gets old. And this was a Colombia/Panama/CR/DR cruise!

I'm not excusing away anything here- I'm married to a non-US citizen. I'm just saying it might get tiring to be a fish out of water.

Absolutely easier to be a fish in water than out. My experience is to communicate by words, body language and eyes. A smile does a lot and many will go out of their way to meet you more than half way;):)

Haven't been on MSC and it's not on our bucket list. No experience with those announcements.

My comparisons are only on HAL - several, a NCL cruise where over 800 passengeRs were Portuguese and a Princess cruise.

We had a fabulous time meeting very interesting people.

It's all about making an effort just like various places in Europe. Our experience, it comes back three fold.

Many Europeans speak more than one language or can get by. A shame more North Americans don't.

Absolutely easier to be a fish in water than out. My experience is to communicate by words, body language and eyes. A smile does a lot and many will go out of their way to meet you more than half way;):)

Haven't been on MSC and it's not on our bucket list. No experience with those announcements.

My comparisons are only on HAL - several, a NCL cruise where over 800 passengeRs were Portuguese and a Princess cruise.

We had a fabulous time meeting very interesting people.

It's all about making an effort just like various places in Europe. Our experience, it comes back three fold.

Many Europeans speak more than one language or can get by. A shame more North Americans don't.

Excellent post Ma'am! :) And that's coming from a former 'European'

I see a few irritations but not a disaster as the OP called it.

On any cruise the price will fall after the final payment date and locals can pick up last minute deals. Nothing new there. How do people know what others paid anyway? I wouldn't care nor would I presume to ask.

I agree with you ..

DW and I have had 3 cruises in a year that were less than acceptable. We also will not be returning to Holland America. They really need to step it up. It is almost like Carnival Corp does not know what to do with HAL, and would rather rid themselves of it.

Twenty plus years ago, my family (who had a dozen HAL cruises under their belts, including three daughter who loved Club HAL) expressed concern that Carnival Corp had bought the line. We were assured that HAL would remain as it was - a Premium, traditional line.

Well, it took a number of years, but HAL is now just another Carnival product.

We have moved on, with regrets, because we loved the 'old HAL'.

We go on our 1st HAL cruise in just about 3 months on Noordam (Nov 3, ABC Islands). .so I probably shouldn't have read this post!

Tho I have been reading the current Noordam reviews, and they have definitely given me pause.

Not sure what suites we're in, as the trip is a gift, so I have no idea if it's Neptune, Poseidon, or Toot-Suite :p

But going into it with an open mind, and plan to have a great time regardless of any issues.

except for food. if the food is bad?. . THAT I'll have a problem with :)

We go on our 1st HAL cruise in just about 3 months on Noordam (Nov 3, ABC Islands). .so I probably shouldn't have read this post!

Tho I have been reading the current Noordam reviews, and they have definitely given me pause.

Not sure what suites we're in, as the trip is a gift, so I have no idea if it's Neptune, Poseidon, or Toot-Suite :p

But going into it with an open mind, and plan to have a great time regardless of any issues.

except for food. if the food is bad?. . THAT I'll have a problem with :)

Bert - Not to worry. All is okay. My first cruise 10 years ago was on HAL's Maasdam ship. After I booked it I started reading Cruise Critic. I wanted to cancel the cruise. Luckily I didn't because we had the best time ever! The Maasdam still sails today, and is a favorite among many people. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Linda&Vern

The difference is that 10 years ago HAL still had decent service standards ;). Now they are Carnival with a different livery. Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you define "decent service standards" further? I know, I hear all about the slow MDR experiences. But to be truthful, 10 years ago when we started cruising HAL there were many nights I didn't think the service was all that fast. But then again, we weren't in a rush, so it didn't bother us. What service standards were you referring to?

Well, I was born in the good old USA, that makes me an American. My ancestors are of Italian descent. My DH was born in the USA also. His ancestors are German.

I speak both Italian and Spanish fluently. He speaks German and Greek fluently.

Obviously, we both speak English as well.

One of the things we both enjoy when we travel is speaking to the locals in their language. It is both interesting and fun.

It is one of the reasons why we do not take ship sponsored tours. We have so much fun conversing with the drivers we hire. It is really an enriching experience.

I love those Europeans--even if they get a break on the price of their cruise.

And when you don't know the words, as Kazu said, a smile goes a long way.

Terri