LIVE from the Noordam-- a Disasterdam

cruiser4801

My family paid over $17,000 for a Neptune Suite for 22 days on the Noordam in the Mediterranean. We are on day 17 or so and this is by far the worst cruise we have ever been on. The ship is tired and beaten as is the crew. Service is failing everywhere on the ship. The espresso machine in the Pinnacle Grill has been broken for 15 days and no effort is made by the staff to get a specialty coffee elsewhere. The Maitre D has been absent on two of only 4 visits we have been made to the PG. We have found the PG staff to be among the least responsive anyhwhere and with an attitude to boost. The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge also broke down for 5 days. Laundry is returned with the same stains that ther were sent with. Getting our Signature Beverage Package Card took 4 days because we were told they were very expensive. After spending as much as we have on a Neptune Suite, the response was insulting.

The ship is full of Europeans that have been offered cut-rate deals to sail because there are not enough Americans, Canadians or Australians to fill the ship. This is not a luxury line by anyone's measure. The pool cushions are old and stained. The carpet throughout all areas is in dire need of replacement. The Noordam has seen better days. Cutbacks are evident since most passengers are locals who paid reduced rates. Pity those of us who paid full freight.

Personal items left on the pool deck and in the dining room have never been found.

We do not recommend the Noordam and especially the Neptune Suites there to anyone anymore. After booking Neptune Suites for the past six years on HAL, we have seen service gradually decline to the point that it is downright awful on this ship. We are taking our business to Oceania or Celebrity.

My family paid over $17,000 for a Neptune Suite for 22 days on the Noordam in the Mediterranean. We are on day 17 or so and this is by far the worst cruise we have ever been on. The ship is tired and beaten as is the crew. Service is failing everywhere on the ship. The espresso machine in the Pinnacle Grill has been broken for 15 days and no effort is made by the staff to get a specialty coffee elsewhere. The Maitre D has been absent on two of only 4 visits we have been made to the PG. We have found the PG staff to be among the least responsive anyhwhere and with an attitude to boost. The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge also broke down for 5 days. Laundry is returned with the same stains that ther were sent with. Getting our Signature Beverage Package Card took 4 days because we were told they were very expensive. After spending as much as we have on a Neptune Suite, the response was insulting.

The ship is full of Europeans that have been offered cut-rate deals to sail because there are not enough Americans, Canadians or Australians to fill the ship. This is not a luxury line by anyone's measure. The pool cushions are old and stained. The carpet throughout all areas is in dire need of replacement. The Noordam has seen better days. Cutbacks are evident since most passengers are locals who paid reduced rates. Pity those of us who paid full freight.

Personal items left on the pool deck and in the dining room have never been found.

We do not recommend the Noordam and especially the Neptune Suites there to anyone anymore. After booking Neptune Suites for the past six years on HAL, we have seen service gradually decline to the point that it is downright awful on this ship. We are taking our business to Oceania or Celebrity.

Although I sympathise with the problems you experienced I do not understand why there being Europeans onboard who paid less than you should have a negative effect on your cruise.

Also, you say that personal items left on the pool deck and in the dining room have never been found. Why would you want to leave personal items unattended in any public area?

This is not what I wanted to read a few weeks before we board the Noordam. Is it really that bad? What about the food, what is the service like elsewhere other than the PG. Are the cleaning levels up to standard?

I see a few irritations but not a disaster as the OP called it.

On any cruise the price will fall after the final payment date and locals can pick up last minute deals. Nothing new there. How do people know what others paid anyway? I wouldn't care nor would I presume to ask.

It would be interesting to see others' impressions of the same cruise. I am curious about the crowd of Europeans who paid low fares - elsewhere on CC I usually see complaints from Europeans who feel that they pay more than Americans. (Could OP be including lower air fares in the mix?)

This is not what I wanted to read a few weeks before we board the Noordam. Is it really that bad? What about the food, what is the service like elsewhere other than the PG. Are the cleaning levels up to standard?

We were on the Noordam earlier this year. Our cruise ended in March. There were laundry issues. Ours was a Neptune Suite right outside the Neptune Lounge. While I can't dispute the OP's account because I'm not there... The ship was in excellent condition when we left it 4 months ago.

We were on the Noordam earlier this year. Our cruise ended in March. There were laundry issues. Ours was a Neptune Suite right outside the Neptune Lounge. While I can't dispute the OP's account because I'm not there... The ship was in excellent condition when we left it 4 months ago.

Ha Ha - I've heard that one before - "it was alright when I left it, honest Mum":)

We were on the Noordam in February, and while the OP is right about the cushions, needing to be replaced, I wouldn't say she was a "disasterdam" by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly more wear and tear was noticeable than when we were on her for cruises beginning a year after her inaugural, but that's to be expected.

We will be on her in October for the transatlantic...so I'll be curious to see what the OP is talking about.

Hotel Director Mark Pells has gone to the Westerdam so perhaps that's reason for the crew malaise??? The crew clearly loved working for Mark.

Edited by innlady1

I'm so sorry that you are having a bad cruise. I think that HAL has gone downhill in general, not just on the Noordam. However we continue to sail them for their long itineraries and always manage to have a great time.

We've found that the more we pay for a cabin, the greater our disappointment is when things aren't 100% to our liking. A cheap inside cabin would cause us less angst than a Neptune Suite on a "bad" cruise. Lesson for us is to travel cheaply or be prepared to feel like we got less than our money's worth if it doesn't all work out to be perfect. Some of the problems you mentioned are inexcusable no matter what cabin you booked.

I hope that you've had some wonderful memories to take home with you.

We board her in less than four weeks. These types of reports are always disconcerting.

I will keep an open mind and hope for the best.

One thing i will mention. OP notes that he/she expects better from a "luxury"line such as HAL.

HAL is not a "luxury" line.

Terri

Oh gosh, I have just booked my first HAL cruise, to the Carribbean - I'm now worried that being a European I won't be very welcome!:mad:

I would take that with a grain of salt. Everyone is welcome. The more diversity, the better.

Terri

Oh gosh, I have just booked my first HAL cruise, to the Carribbean - I'm now worried that being a European I won't be very welcome!:mad:

I would not give this single review a second thought with regard to your upcoming cruise. Although this one passenger is disgruntled (and I don't dispute his experiences), it is, again, one person's opinion.

Look forward and enjoy your cruise! :)

Oh dear, we board Noordam on Sunday..............in a Neptune Suite! This is our first time on HAL and I am really looking forward to it. I hope the last few days of your cruise pick up a bit and you receive the service you deserve.

I will probably be on our balcony most of the time watching the world go by :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One thing i will mention. OP notes that he/she expects better from a "luxury"line such as HAL.

HAL is not a "luxury" line.

Terri

I was wondering about that remark myself.

See you at the M & G Terri :)

Those Europeans...they are everywhere.

Even on European cruises.

HAL is as much a luxury line as Carnival or Princess. Someone sold the OP a 'bill of goods' on that one.

Edited by iancal

Strange, I was on the Noordam in december and did not find any of op's complaints. It must have deteriorated rather quickly. :)

We were also on the Noordam in January/February and saw and experienced none of these problems. We ship was well kept, service was outstanding as well as the food. That is why we booked her again fir May of next year.

I guess I can't understand how this ship has deteriorate din less than six months with one of the best Hotel Directors in the business.