Final Payment Date....Help me figure this out please

monctonmama

Sorry to have to ask another question re final payment date. But...

Our 10-day cruise date is Dec 7, 2014 with our deposit already paid on board our last cruise. We will just accept O air, no devation required.

Our travel agent wants the full payment (minus deposit) by Aug 1. Is this correct?

I thought it was 90 days prior that full payment was required, which would be Sep. 8.

Also the agent states beginninng Aug 2, cancellation penalty is the total 750.00 deposit paid for 2 people. Am I correct in thinking that 120 days before the cruise date (Aug 9) is when the 250.00 pp penalty would kick in?

We don't have any travel insurance in place yet, and didn't expect to get to it until we made the final payment closer to Sep 8. So I do not want to pay in full until I do so. Or does that matter?

I do plan to pay several days in advance of the Sep 8 deadline just to make sure the monies get transferred in good time to Oceania.

When would you make the final payment? And put travel insurance in place?

Thanks for any help. Hope I have explained it well enough. I am a new cruiser, (obviously)

Your Sept. 8 and Aug. 9 dates are correct. TAs sometimes want final payment a few days early but five weeks early is unreasonable. Perhaps your TA meant to say he or she wanted final payment by Sept 1?

BTW, if you cancel between 91 and 120 days, the $250 pp administrative fee will be applied against a future cruise if that cruise is booked within 12 months from the date you cancel. As long as the future cruise is booked within 12 months, it may sail on a date more than 12 months in the future.

Dave

If you are paying by CC (and you should be) the payment should go directly to Oceania so there should be no problem with it reaching them on time

The final payment date should be listed on your invoice (usually top right on mine)

The cancellation fees are spelled out in the Term's & conditions which your TA should be aware of

The following cancellation penalties apply to cruises of 1 to 14 days in length:

120 - 91 days or more prior to departure $250.00 pp Administration Fee +

90 – 76 days prior to departure 25% of Cruise Fare (plus any Optional Facilities and Services Fees incurred)

75 – 61 days prior to departure 50% of Cruise Fare (plus any Optional Facilities and Services Fees incurred)

60 – 31 days prior to departure 75% of Cruise Fare (plus any Optional Facilities and Services Fees incurred)

30 – 0 days prior to departure 100% of Cruise Fare (plus any Optional Facilities and Services Fees incurred)

Deposit details

Deposit & Payment Policy

Bookings require a per person deposit of 20% of the applicable fare for Owner’s, Vista, and Oceania Suites and $750 for all other suite/stateroom categories; for Grand Voyages the per person deposit is $1,500. Bookings must deposit within 7 days of booking for bookings made more than 120 days from sailing, within 3 days of booking for bookings made between 91 and 120 days from sailing, and by the end of the booking day for bookings within 90 days of sailing.

Unless otherwise noted, final payment must be received by Oceania Cruises 90 days prior to cruise departure for voyages less than 15 days and 150 days prior for voyages 15 days or longer. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to cancel any booking not fully paid or deposited per the schedule or those without passport details.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/termsconditions.aspx

These should also be on your invoice

Edited by LHT28

Sorry to have to ask another question re final payment date. But...

Our 10-day cruise date is Dec 7, 2014 with our deposit already paid on board our last cruise. We will just accept O air, no devation required.

Our travel agent wants the full payment (minus deposit) by Aug 1. Is this correct?

I thought it was 90 days prior that full payment was required, which would be Sep. 8.

Also the agent states beginninng Aug 2, cancellation penalty is the total 750.00 deposit paid for 2 people. Am I correct in thinking that 120 days before the cruise date (Aug 9) is when the 250.00 pp penalty would kick in?

We don't have any travel insurance in place yet, and didn't expect to get to it until we made the final payment closer to Sep 8. So I do not want to pay in full until I do so. Or does that matter?

I do plan to pay several days in advance of the Sep 8 deadline just to make sure the monies get transferred in good time to Oceania.

When would you make the final payment? And put travel insurance in place?

Thanks for any help. Hope I have explained it well enough. I am a new cruiser, (obviously)

If you mean combo travel insurance (I.e., including medical, you've passed the required sign up date (within so many days of initial deposit depending on insurer) to get a waiver for pre-existing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just had a final payment due on an O sailing, 90 days ahead of sailing, and our TA contacted us a week ahead of the date on our O invoice to find out what cc we would be using. I imagine it's to ensure they can get a hold of you, get your card info, get things processed, and submit it in time to meet your actual final payment date.

Isn't it changed now...

Post # 4 lists the 120-91 day as having a 250.00 admin fee if cancelled within that time period. ( I think that started last fall).

I used to call the 90 day mark the final payment date.

I now use 120 to do my backwards calculations.

Just my 2 cents

Could your TA be seeking to use your final payment as operating funds for a troubled travel agency - interest free "float" over the next thirty days?

The key for you is to confirm payment will go immediately and directly to Oceania and that you receive - immediately - an Oceania invoice to confirm their receipt of your final payment.

Sounds hinky.

If you mean combo travel insurance (I.e., including medical, you've passed the required sign up date (within so many days of initial deposit depending on insurer) to get a waiver for pre-existing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although most medical travel insurance must be purchased within 14-21 days of INITIAL payment (such as deposit) in order to have a policy that does NOT exclude pre-existing conditions, there are some other choices.

We just double checked with

TripInsuranceStore.com

(CALL them, don't just look over the very detailed descriptions, to make sure they are able to help you get the coverage that works for YOUR needs.)

There was one that would cover pre-existing conditions if purchased when [check whether this means same day, day before, or ?] the FULL payment for the MOST EXPENSIVE portion of the trip is paid.

That could be final payment for a cruise, payment for expensive air tickets, pre-payment for extended hotel stay, etc.

The main trade-off seems to be a lower total $$ of coverage for medical costs than would have been available earlier. Not sure about cost comparisons.

PLEASE CALL THEM to make sure I have not misunderstood something, as we have not yet purchased this particular type of policy.

GeezerCouple

The travel agency does not keep the money. Assume it's done via a credit card, it goes directly to the provider.

wristband is right.

There was an (in)famous online TA a few years back that would run his business this way -i.e. used your deposit and final payments for operating funds and eventually would or would not pay the final payment to the cruise line. His prices were too good to be true - in the fullest sense. Many people were out significant amounts of money.

It is important to make sure the money goes directly to the cruise line and not the agency.

Yes, true you should verify prior to final payment.

The poster knows their credit card info will be used by the travel agency. For what purpose? Where will the payment fees be deposited - into what/whose account exactly?

Bernie Madoff made billions by avoiding a third party institution (such as Pershing), using client funds to rob Peter and pay for his business and lifestyle. All of the travel agency's I have used employ experienced professionals and follow a strict code of ethics, especially comforting if you know for a fact the agency has a long history with Oceania.

But if you don't have history with the agency - and do not know other customers who do - this payment demand well in advance of O's stated due date seems to me - speculation here - that this agency needs immediate cash to "float" its operational expenses for 30 days this summer prior to forwarding the fees on to O.

My ta sends out a final payment due date for the date when the penalty kicks in. He doesn't require payment then. It's a reminder that after that date there's a cancellation fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This will be our first Oceania cruise and I was surprised that final payment was due on July 24th for a December 21st cruise. Due date is on the Oceania invoice itself, and I imagine it is probably due to it being a holiday cruise, encompassing both Christmas and New Year's Eve/Day? I have no concerns with my travel agent nor the agency.

We just lost our $750 deposit because of a cruise we booked while onboard and transferred to our TA. Her invoice showed the final payment due 8/6 2014. Our only son died in April and we were not notified by the TA that payment was really due in June. At that time I was very stressed and probably did not handle her notice that we had been cancelled very well. She finally old me it was not her fault and did say Oceania would give me a credit for the deposit on a future cruise. I would really rather have the money since our son's medical bills were VERY high and he was no insured. Now I can not afford another cruise so I guess it is a total loss.

This will be our first Oceania cruise and I was surprised that final payment was due on July 24th for a December 21st cruise. Due date is on the Oceania invoice itself, and I imagine it is probably due to it being a holiday cruise, encompassing both Christmas and New Year's Eve/Day? I have no concerns with my travel agent nor the agency.

I believe final payment is 150 days prior for cruises longer than 15 days. How long is your cruise?

It could also be that your cruise is 16 days ..see post $4

FP due 150 days prior for voyages 15 days or longer.

Edited by LHT28

I think there may also be a requirement for that earlier payment for certain categories of "upper level" suites.

Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think there may also be a requirement for that earlier payment for certain categories of "upper level" suites.

Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why is everyone "guessing"?

LHT28 reprinted ALL of the rules in Post 4 of this thread.

We just lost our $750 deposit because of a cruise we booked while onboard and transferred to our TA. Her invoice showed the final payment due 8/6 2014. Our only son died in April and we were not notified by the TA that payment was really due in June. At that time I was very stressed and probably did not handle her notice that we had been cancelled very well. She finally old me it was not her fault and did say Oceania would give me a credit for the deposit on a future cruise. I would really rather have the money since our son's medical bills were VERY high and he was no insured. Now I can not afford another cruise so I guess it is a total loss.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your son and I understand how you would not be focused on the cruise during such a difficult time. Wishing you all the best as you work through your grief and unexpected medical expenses.

OP look at your paperwork from the deposit. My most wonderful travel agent in world always lists payments and penalties in black and white. For my cruise of 16 days starting Feb. 17, 2015 I must make final payment by Oct. 20,2014 at 5PM. It is stated right on the first page. Each company can have different rules but they are very similar in my experience and larger risks for expensive cabins/holidays/special itineraries/long cruises have payment dates earlier than 7 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale.