Princess to Add 19th Ship to Fleet

kimchee1212

Not sure if this is posted yet, but:

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., July 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Princess Cruises, a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation & plc (nyse/lse:CCL) CUK +0.58% , announced that it has reached an agreement with the Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri to build a new ship, which will enter service in 2017.

The as-yet unnamed 143,000-ton vessel, which will be built at an all-in cost of approximately 600 million euros, will carry 3,560 passengers, and feature the successful design platform introduced by sister ships Royal Princess in 2013 and Regal Princess which entered service this past May.

The new ship will include the signature elements that have become synonymous with the Princess Cruises guest experience such as a soaring central atrium hub with multiple dining, entertainment and retail venues; the adults-only Sanctuary; Movies Under the Stars cinema experience, and 80 percent of all staterooms with balconies. The ship will also include some brand-new innovations to enhance the guest experience even further.

"We are incredibly excited to add this fabulous new ship to our already formidable fleet," said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. "Royal Princess and Regal Princess have been exceptionally successful for us and have received numerous accolades from guests, travel agents and media, so adding another sister ship will enable us to continue to expand our innovative vacation experiences. We're very pleased that this new ship order is an indication of the confidence that our parent Carnival Corporation has in the future of the Princess brand." She added that this is the only new order Carnival Corporation & plc anticipates for 2017.

Specific features and amenities for the ship, along with deployment details, will be revealed in the coming months.

Giuseppe Bono, Fincantieri Chief Executive Officer, commented: "All the orders we win are important for our Group, but some are more special than others. The one we're announcing today certainly belongs to this select category. In fact, it's no coincidence that Fincantieri is the universally recognized leader among the builders of cruise ships. It's a source of great pride to be able to immediately build another ship for a prestigious brand like Princess Cruises following the successful deliveries of two jewels like "Royal" and "Regal," which have already become part of maritime history." Bono ended by saying, "Our objective has always been to build ships of the future, and thanks to the Carnival Group, the leading market player, which has reconfirmed its well-founded confidence in us, we have proven over time not only to have kept faith with this ambitious goal but also to have been able to consolidate our world leadership in a sector of absolute technological excellence, like cruise ships."

Additional information about Princess Cruises is available through a professional travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237), or by visiting the company's website at http://www.princess.com .

About Princess Cruises:

One of the best-known names in cruising, Princess Cruises is a global cruise and tour company operating a fleet of 18 modern ships renowned for their innovative design and wide array of choices in dining, entertainment and amenities, all provided in an environment of exceptional customer service. A recognized leader in worldwide cruising, Princess carries 1.7 million guests each year to destinations around the globe ranging in length from three to 111 days. The company is part of Carnival Corporation & plc.

(http://www.marketwatch.com/story/princess-cruises-to-add-new-ship-to-fleet-2014-07-30?reflink=MW_news_stmp)

Thanks for the news, they will need to start moving the older ships out of the fleet eventually.

Hope it has a central staircase/full promenade deck/and a real aft pool.

Oh yeah and no soot.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks for the news, they will need to start moving the older ships out of the fleet eventually.

Oh yeah and no soot.

But I like the old ships!:p

This is great news. I think that the GRT is larger for this ship than for either the Royal or Regal, which are 141,000 GRT. Hopefully there will be some interesting changes made to this new build.

How disappointing that it's going to be modelled after Regal and Royal. Another one to avoid unless they stop making smurf balconies

Yes.This was the part I took away from the release: The as-yet unnamed 143,000-ton vessel, which will be built at an all-in cost of approximately 600 million euros, will carry 3,560 passengers, and feature the successful design platform introduced by sister ships Royal Princess in 2013 and Regal Princess which entered service this past May.

I would guess no OV rooms, very small balconies, and no full promenade.

Oh yeah and no soot.

I really hope not.

How disappointing that it's going to be modelled after Regal and Royal. Another one to avoid unless they stop making smurf balconies

I'm with you but unfortunately we have limited choices lately leaving from Florida if you're looking for a 10 day trip. :(

Bring back the old ships & send the new ones to Australia or the west coast for a few years.

This is great news. I think that the GRT is larger for this ship than for either the Royal or Regal, which are 141,000 GRT. Hopefully there will be some interesting changes made to this new build.

Third times the charm!;)

Oh yeah and no soot.

From your lips to Princess' ears. ;)

Perhaps the third time will be the charm.

I really hope not.

I'm with you but unfortunately we have limited choices lately leaving from Florida if you're looking for a 10 day trip. :(

Bring back the old ships & send the new ones to Australia or the west coast for a few years.

I like sailing on a ship that feels like a ship. I have no interest in 3500 passenger ships. I guess if Princess replaces the old ships we will have to go back to HAL.

I like sailing on a ship that feels like a ship. I have no interest in 3500 passenger ships. I guess if Princess replaces the old ships we will have to go back to HAL.
Having sailed on the Royal and sailing again in just over a month, I'd say that overall, the Royal felt far less crowded than the Grand-class ships I've been on. Once you've experienced the Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro, it's really, really hard to go back to the other Princess ships as they are so far much better.

Having sailed on the Royal and sailing again in just over a month, I'd say that overall, the Royal felt far less crowded than the Grand-class ships I've been on. Once you've experienced the Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro, it's really, really hard to go back to the other Princess ships as they are so far much better.

Pam I have friends that have sailed with Princess for more years then I care to count. They also did the Royal and said it will be hard for them to go back to the other Princess ships. They were blown away by the new ship.

Pam I have friends that have sailed with Princess for more years then I care to count. They also did the Royal and said it will be hard for them to go back to the other Princess ships. They were blown away by the new ship.

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. We have good friends that were in the Maiden TA and now avoid Regal and Royal when looking for itineraries. Not to say they wouldn't sail them again but I think they're at the bottom of the list

I hope its going to Australia or the Asia region. The three ships we have full time are getting pretty old. And its about time we have a newer ship to compete with the other cruiselines sending their newer ships.

Also those two regions have had a huge swell in the number of people cruising.

Maybe they can revert to some of the old features incorporated into the new design & satisfy everyone.

I'm afraid that satisfying everyone is definitely impossible! I, for one, am looking forward to changes and can't wait to sail on the new builds.

I think a lot of people have problems with changes of any type and not everyone can adapt. Which is too bad because things do and will keep on changes, not only within the cruise industry but everywhere...

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. We have good friends that were in the Maiden TA and now avoid Regal and Royal when looking for itineraries. Not to say they wouldn't sail them again but I think they're at the bottom of the list

I guess something for everyone. :)

I'm afraid that satisfying everyone is definitely impossible! I, for one, am looking forward to changes and can't wait to sail on the new builds.

I think a lot of people have problems with changes of any type and not everyone can adapt. Which is too bad because things do and will keep on changes, not only within the cruise industry but everywhere...

I think I'm the opposite. I was craving change. I was super excited when Royal was announced. I just didn't realize change would come at personal expense of my balcony. If the soot issue ever gets fixed there are some decent sized aft cabins that we'd look at but until then I can find lots if change elsewhere

I think I'm the opposite. I was craving change. I was super excited when Royal was announced. I just didn't realize change would come at personal expense of my balcony. If the soot issue ever gets fixed there are some decent sized aft cabins that we'd look at but until then I can find lots if change elsewhere

It appears that they did solve the soot problem on Regal Princess... at least I haven't seen anyone complain yet... ;)