Help with Caribbean Princess

Vacationdreamer<><

My BFF and I just booked a five night on the Caribbean Princess out of Fort Lauderdale for November. I am trying to use the search feature, however, I think it is being a little difficult because the word Caribbean in the search. I am getting all kinds of threads because that word is prevalent. :)

Neither of us has ever cruised Princess before. I have cruised DCL twice; she has cruised RCI once.

Random questions:

I let them select my stateroom. Is it likely we will get the room? I hate to invest too much time in researching a room if they frequently change them.

Does Princess have drink packages? Neither of us drink alcohol, but she loves coffee & I enjoy soda.

I know I'm going to have tons of questions. Can anyone tell me the best way to search for info on this ship so I don't irritate people?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does Princess have drink packages? Neither of us drink alcohol' date=' but she loves coffee & I enjoy soda.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

You can purchase a coffee card before the cruise (approx. $31) or on the ship ($33). This gets you 15 "stamps" for specialty coffee and unlimited brewed coffee at the International Cafe (IC) or some of the bars. The coffee in the Main Dining Rooms (MDR) and the buffet (Horizon Court or HC) are free. This coffee is made from a syrup and some like it - some don't. The specialty coffees are delicious and high calorie. BTW: the unlimited on the coffee card is for that cruise only, the stamps can be used on any other cruise til they are used up.

There is a soda package - never purchased it so not sure what it costs. I do know it is a "per day" cost. Someone will chime in with the cost or you can go to the Princess web site and search around for additional info and available goodies.

Also, the food at the IC is free.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

They have both a soda (gun only) package for around $7 per day and a mocktail/soda package for around $20/day, plus coffee cards and even unlimited drinks packages. See:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/casual_dining/

The soda package that we buy is a sticker on your cruise card and is sold both online and at dozens of tables around the ship on the first day.

Non alcoholic packages include the coffee select card, unlimited soda package and unlimited soda and more package. The soda packages are stickers on your cruise card. Details can be found at this site http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

If you purchase when you first board in Ft. Lauderdale, before the ship has sailed you may be charged additional Florida sales tax. No tax after the ship has left the harbor.

The sodas plus package includes unlimited soda, juice, mocktails, hot chocolate, and milkshakes. I had it last month for about $8/day....totally wonderful for those not interested in alcohol...I drank virgin pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris all cruise!!.....the just soda card is around $6/day.

If you type caribbean princess in the search bar of the princess forum it will make it easier even though you have to weed through many reviews about "the caribbean"...and don't worry about asking questions. That is what this board is for!

Room changes seem pretty random depending on the number of sold rooms on your sailing.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by mcgratru

Purchase your drink cards before you sail and they are a few dollars cheaper and you won't have to pay Florida sales tax. You can order them from Gifts and Services. You pay for them at the time with a credit card and it is one less thing that goes on your sail card.

If you buy a guarantee cabin expect to be way in the front or the back of the ship.

Not necessarily. I purchased a gty balcony. At booking the room was the balcony all the way forward on deck 8 - the one where the promenade steps up and goes past your balcony (sort of). I ended up on deck 12 mid ship. It was a MUCH better location.

A gty doesn't mean you will be moved nor does it mean you will be moved to a horrible location although sometimes people are "upgraded" by Princess when the person doesn't consider it an upgrade.

As for the Unlimited Soda & More card: As stated above it is $8.05 per day. I loved the mocktails. The Nohito was great as was the non-alcoholic Strawberry Daquari. There are a lot of them to try and they are all good. Of course you can always just get a regular soda card for less if you just want to drink soda.

Ok. Those milkshakes sound good!

Thanks for the heads up and links.

We really don't care where our room is. Prefer not to be under a basketball court maybe. ;)

Are there any good ways to look at recent Princess Patters? I'm used to DCL boards, which with only four ships means you can squeeze out every detail before embarking.

Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2066581

Although I haven't read it (I like to be surprised re Patters and dining room menus!), I believe that the links therein will take you Patters for various ships and itineraries. While things change, of course, it'll give you some idea.

Also, if no one suggested this already, definitely read the Cruise Answer thingy on the Princess website. Tons of info there for you:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2066581

Although I haven't read it (I like to be surprised re Patters and dining room menus!), I believe that the links therein will take you Patters for various ships and itineraries. While things change, of course, it'll give you some idea.

Also, if no one suggested this already, definitely read the Cruise Answer thingy on the Princess website. Tons of info there for you:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Thank you for both links!

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

Neither of us has ever cruised Princess before. I have cruised DCL twice; she has cruised RCI once.

Random questions:

I let them select my stateroom. Is it likely we will get the room? I hate to invest too much time in researching a room if they frequently change them.

From your wording' date=' it sounds as if they assigned you a cabin. You should have been asked if you would accept a no cost upgrade if one occurred. If you said "no", then it is 95%+ certain that the cabin assigned initially is the one you will sail in. If you said "yes" (or if they did not ask the question), then your booking is marked will accept upgrade. Such an upgrade might or might not occur. If one occurs it will most likely be the same type cabin in a different location. And if one occurs, it could happen anytime from now until you check in for the cruise.

[/color']

I know I'm going to have tons of questions. Can anyone tell me the best way to search for info on this ship so I don't irritate people? Asking questions will not irritate people and no question is "dumb".

One suggestion as a new cruiser to Princess is to go to the Princess web site and download the Cruise Answer Book. This will answer many of your questions about Princess. See https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page to download it.

A few things different about Princess:

o Boarding usually starts around noon on embarkation day. Your cabin will be ready when you board.

o The tradeoff for having your cabin ready when you board is that at the end of the cruise you will need to be out of your cabin by around 8 AM so it can be prepared from the next guests.

o If you book Princess shore excursions in advance of the cruise, you do not have to pay for them before the cruise. The cost will be put onto your onboard account.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by caribill

My BFF and I just booked a five night on the Caribbean Princess out of Fort Lauderdale for November. I am trying to use the search feature' date=' however, I think it is being a little difficult because the word Caribbean in the search. I am getting all kinds of threads because that word is prevalent. :)

Random questions:

Does Princess have drink packages? Neither of us drink alcohol, but she loves coffee & I enjoy soda.

I know I'm going to have tons of questions. Can anyone tell me the best way to search for info on this ship so I don't irritate people?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

Best thing to do is pick the cabin that you want and take the worry out of it.

If you don't want to be changed have "do not upgrade" added on the booking.