RC Ships .. Kinda Sorta All The Same ..

F27TW

I know I WILL be reamed and nailed to the cross on here for saying this, but hear me out before you start swinging ..

We were on Explorer recently and have also sailed on Liberty and Monarch and they were all great cruises, but I noticed (also from pics of other RC ships in the Cruise Reports on here) how overly similar the feel is on all of them.

The décor and the names of all the venues are the same on each ship (Schooner, Boleros, etc) , the room décor (those dull drab mauves, beiges, blues), the corridors, the WJs ... even the MDRs on the bigger ships .. everything kinda looks the same ..

Wouldn't it be a little better if they gave more individual personality to each ship? I know they vary by class as far as certain amenities (like Oasis class .. and how some have the Flow Rider thingy) ), but I was struck by how similar Explorer felt to Liberty and how even the Monarch had the same feel in some ways.

Im not saying that they should ever go over to the gaudy crap Carnival does .. but wouldn't a little bit of individuality for each ship make it more interesting for repeat cruisers?

Anyone else get what im saying?

I know I WILL be reamed and nailed to the cross on here for saying this, but hear me out before you start swinging ..

We were on Explorer recently and have also sailed on Liberty and Monarch and they were all great cruises, but I noticed (also from pics of other RC ships in the Cruise Reports on here) how overly similar the feel is on all of them.

The décor and the names of all the venues are the same on each ship (Schooner, Boleros, etc) , the room décor (those dull drab mauves, beiges, blues), the corridors, the WJs ... even the MDRs on the bigger ships .. everything kinda looks the same ..

Wouldn't it be a little better if they gave more individual personality to each ship? I know they vary by class as far as certain amenities (like Oasis class .. and how some have the Flow Rider thingy) ), but I was struck by how similar Explorer felt to Liberty and how even the Monarch had the same feel in some ways.

Im not saying that they should ever go over to the gaudy crap Carnival does .. but wouldn't a little bit of individuality for each ship make it more interesting for repeat cruisers?

People may have different opinions than you, but I surely wouldn't consider them 'reaming you, nor swinging at you'....just disagreeing.

Marketing will also say that it is important to have a 'consistent brand message' and branding a hospitality corporation has a lot to do with consistency of experience and product. That is what having a consistent image with décor is about in the hospitality world.

Royal does change some things with each new class of ship, but they also do try to keep many thing similar so that cruisers know what to expect and are comfortable or 'at home' when they are a loyal Royal cruiser.

No. If you want "variety" sail a different line.

There is 'variety' within the Royal family of ships, as well as a significant level of consistency. That is why DH and I have cruised on many of the different classes that Royal has, and enjoy both the differences and what makes for familiarity.

Yes! I think more variety would be nice.

I think your statement could apply to any of the mass market cruise lines.

Points taken.

But you could also say that all Volkswagen models are similar in the same way and that all Lexus models are similar as well. Different classes but with similar charcteristics within each.

I've mainly sailed on Carnival but their layouts are essentially the same also.

I like it because on each subsequent cruise, I knew exactly where everything was. On my first cruise I was lost and confused the whole time.

Another reason they keep it the same, I believe, is so that the crew members and be swapped in and out for contracts and can hit the ground running without having to do a bunch of familiarity training. That becomes important if there's an emergency on their first cruise of a new contract.

I think your statement could apply to any of the mass market cruise lines.

I've only sailed Disney before and have two reservations for RCCL right now. From everything I've seen, Disney ships are the same way. I think after the Magic's dry dock last year they added things that were more in line with the Dream and Fantasy. I think Wonder is set to do the same next year but I might be wrong.

I have a feeling this is basically the case with all the lines. Promote familiarity and, if you think about it, it could become a management nightmare if you didn't.

I guess the best way to assuage the longing for diversity would be to always sail different cruise lines... We certainly have a pick.

I think there are enough differences between the Radiance, Voyager/Freedom, and Oasis class ships to offer different cruise experiences in the different class and enough similarities to feel like the RCI brand across the fleet. I think RCI has done a great job with that.

Totally get what you're saying. We've sailed mostly Voyager and Freedom class with a couple of sailings on Radiance class, and one on Vision and Oasis classes over 10 years and are getting a little jaded and looking for a change. Although it's good that changes are being made in terms of some classes that now have Chops, Johnny Rockets, R Bar, Vintages, Park Cafe, Giovanni's Table etc and some don't, but it is much of the same most of the time.

No doubt it's the same on all other main stream lines, but we're giving a couple a try next year with Carnival and Celebrity. Ringing the changes for us. We've still got 4 RCI sailings to come up to 2016, so we're not over them totally.

Edited by peteukmcr

I agree that they are very alike, but, for us thats the thing that we love about cruising with them, that sense of familiarity, Different strokes I suppose.

"Ditto" to this...Have sailed with RCI for many many years and the only time I tried PCL something just seemed "off "... Boarding an RCI ship is like coming home and that means "comfort".

I get what you are saying - it´s called corporate identity.

As others have said it´s the same with other lines. My personal take on this is that I like it the way it is. WHen I step onboard an RCI ship I feel at home regardless of what particular ship it is. Same with other lines. I know where to go, the ship lingo is the same, etc.

I don´t blame you for your Observation and opinion, but I don´t share it.

I agree that they are very alike, but, for us thats the thing that we love about cruising with them, that sense of familiarity, Different strokes I suppose.

We feel the exact same way - RCI ships are familiar to us and makes us feel at home when we board them! I even, heaven forbid, asked DH if he wanted to try a different cruise line. He said no way, RCI ships are comfortable to him so why mess with something that's not broken! :D

Totally agree and it is what gets the adrenaline going as we get on board. It's the familiar that makes it relaxing.

At first I thought...what? RCI has the biggest ship variety in cruising. But I get what you're saying. Especially regarding ships in the same class, I wish they would differentiate them more with color schemes and decor. Sorta like how the Explorer MDR decor is different than the other 4 Voyager Class ships, they could have done different aesthetics all throughout.

I completely understand what your are saying, but the line needs to stay consistent. I am familiar with the royal ships and love that I am able to be. I feel like if they drastically change a ship design (like they might be doing with quantum :() I won't feel as familiar with my favorite cruise line.

Also, I feel like NCL may have tried to change up their ship's designs with the Breakaway class, designing them to the theme of their home ports. However, what confuses me with that concept is, what will happen if supply and demand forces them to deploy those ships elsewhere??