Dressing conservatively in Mediteranean Ports?

lesliehr

Hi all,

Making my packing list for my first Mediteranean cruise...and I have questions.

I know that when we visit the Vatican, I must have my shoulders covered and no shorts. What about when visiting the Colosseum and Forum? Is it necessary to dress conservatively for other areas in Rome?

Does the same go for Istanbul and Ephesus? I know we will be visiting mosques, churches, etc...but it's going to be so darn hot....I don't want to be disrespectful...but have I mentioned how darn hot it will be?

Same request for Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens....also Naples. In most ports, we will be visiting the highlights.

Thanks so much for your help.

Debbie

Hi all,

I know that when we visit the Vatican, I must have my shoulders covered and no shorts. What about when visiting the Colosseum and Forum? Is it necessary to dress conservatively for other areas in Rome?

Does the same go for Istanbul and Ephesus? I know we will be visiting mosques, churches, etc...but it's going to be so darn hot....I don't want to be disrespectful...but have I mentioned how darn hot it will be?

Same request for Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens....also Naples. In most ports, we will be visiting the highlights.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, you will probably get different answers to your questions

so I will start.:)

I went on my first cruise to the Med 2 years ago (BEST cruise EVER:D)

Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Naples.....I wore short sleeved tops

and capri's with walking shoes and socks...I wore the same thing

in Rome and in Turkey:).......I didn't go inside any churches (that

I can recall) but all the other sites? I don't call what I wore conservative

but I do call it comfy.....it was hot outside. Walking every day...good

walking shoes and socks were important (for me anyway).

Here are some photos of what I wore during the day.......

This first photo....I am in the blu tye die top with the hat on......

As you can see all the gals were VERY casual and comfy.

7278579850_a4d85dfe91_b.jpg

This was Santorini......I could go back and just stay here......

7278845372_d1b6f2f290_b.jpg

So, as you can see....this is how I dressed for touring during the day.

Very casual......

Debbie, I hope you have a fantastic time:D

If you want to see more photos of the sites, click on Flckr in my

signature and find the EQUINOX Album...May 2012.

This cruise to the Med blew all my other cruises out of the water;)

Everywhere I went, it was "WOW":)

When in Rome in late April I wore 'nice' jeans and a short sleeved top the first day and just about had a heat stroke. The next day I wore light capris and a tank top; I buttoned a light-weight sleeved shirt around my purse to use in the vatican and churches. Most people were in long pants, capris, with some sun dresses or long shorts.

Our Med cruise was in mid-May. Most ports were quite hot, especially Ephesus. People were wearing very cool clothes there, shorts, tank tops, capris, tee shirts, etc. Athens was capris, shorts or slacks and nice shirt, Santorini the same, Mykonos, same, (both of these ports very casual) Naples for the Amalfi coast, the same.

I did dress more conservatively in Istanbul--we were there overnight and it was cooler than some of the other ports. It was also the only port that we went into churches and mosques. I wore capris, a tank top and a long sleeved shirt and carried a scarf in case my head needed to be covered--it turned out not to be necessary. The next day I wore slacks as we wandered around the old city. I saw a few people in long shorts, but not many. Jeans were common.

I don't think of knees and shoulders covered as being "conservative," just respectful of local rules.:) Capris will cover your knees and a short sleeved shirt will take care of your shoulders -- that won't be much hotter than shorts and tank tops, IMO, and will be fine for Italian churches. The "secular" sites such as the Colosseum don't seem to have a dress code. I haven't been to Greece or Turkey so can't tell you whether that would be acceptable. In any event, I would carry a light shawl in case your top or bottom is deemed not to be quite enough coverage, then just throw it over your shoulders or wrap it around your waist to cover up the offending body part.

Hi all,

Debbie

I don't think of knees and shoulders covered as being "conservative," just respectful of local rules.:) Capris will cover your knees and a short sleeved shirt will take care of your shoulders -- that won't be much hotter than shorts and tank tops, IMO, and will be fine for Italian churches. The "secular" sites such as the Colosseum don't seem to have a dress code. I haven't been to Greece or Turkey so can't tell you whether that would be acceptable. In any event, I would carry a light shawl in case your top or bottom is deemed not to be quite enough coverage, then just throw it over your shoulders or wrap it around your waist to cover up the offending body part.

We were at Acropolis in August, St. Peter's in July, San Marco in July etc

I always had knees covered with capris or flowey skirts and I always had short sleeve jerseys. Even to enter some of the designer stores like Gucci or Fendi (fun to walk around), I thought it more respectful to be reasonably covered. JMO.........

DH always wore long pants when in cities. In places such as Mykonos, shorts were fine.

I found that lightweight skirts, tanks and shirts were the coolest (we were there on July 4th and it was Hot) .... and since they are everywhere this year (just bought a few for the cruise in Sept) .. particularly for Rome.

In Istanbul, they had wrap skirts to borrow if you weren't dressed properly so it was even less of a problem.

dscn3530.jpg

Edited by KLLund

I always wear "technical" fabric pants, especially in hot weather. They wick away any perspiration so are very cool and they dry quickly if I get caught in a sudden downpour (more common in SE Asia than Europe).

They may not look elegant but they are very practical. I usually get the type that are convertable to shorts in case I find a beach I want to wander along but I would not wear shorts in European cities.

Also I always wear a short sleeved top. I find these are more comfortable than tank-style tops, for some reason I don't feel as sweaty with a sleeved top on.

Hi all,

Debbie

I wore capris at the Vatican with a short sleeved top.

The rest of our ports were pretty much the same. I didn't go to Istanbul but from what I understand, your head and shoulders must be covered at the Blue Mosque so bring a shawl to drop over you there.

Have a fabulous time!

Debbie, I hope you have a fantastic time:D

If you want to see more photos of the sites, click on Flckr in my

signature and find the EQUINOX Album...May 2012.

This cruise to the Med blew all my other cruises out of the water;)

Everywhere I went, it was "WOW":)

Lois, that was my reaction at every port as well. I have a decent vocabulary but somehow it was all lost on that cruise. After I picked up my jaw after hitting the ground, I would mutter, " Oh Wow" lol

Totally agree about Ephesus..absolutely incredible. In fact, the beauty of Turkey really surprised me.

Hoping to return in 2016.

Lois, that was my reaction at every port as well. I have a decent vocabulary but somehow it was all lost on that cruise. After I picked up my jaw after hitting the ground, I would mutter, " Oh Wow" lol

Totally agree about Ephesus..absolutely incredible. In fact, the beauty of Turkey really surprised me.

Hoping to return in 2016.

Did you know Turkey is part of Europe AND Asia? Part of the WOW

factor;)...I want to go back as well....I was hoping for 2015 but not

sure that will be possible.

Did you know Turkey is part of Europe AND Asia? Part of the WOW

factor;)...I want to go back as well....I was hoping for 2015 but not

sure that will be possible.

I certainly did know that it was part of Asia prior to my arrival. In fact, the guide on our private tour reminded us of the fact. Never thought I would see the day that I would see that region of the world.

As you well know, the trip was very pricy for the three of us, so have to wait until 2016.

I absolutely loved the Equinox..such a gorgeous ship. My only regret was flying into Barcelona one day early. I won't make that mistake again. I would like 3 days prior but will settle for 2 days.

We stopped overnight in Istanbul as part of our Black Sea cruise a couple years ago, and I wore the same outfit for our full day walking tour (private guide, fabulous!!) that I did for the Meteora monasteries on the same cruise - long black cotton knit skirt, short sleeve t-shirt, shawl for my head, sandals. (shoes come off for the Blue Mosque and you carry them in a bag since you exit through a different door. We did not stop in the Hagia Sophia on that trip (our tour was on Monday when it was closed - we could have gone on Sunday when our ship docked but we preferred to explore on our own in a different part of town) I don't recall any of the other (more secular) destinations in Istanbul having dress codes but what you have planned for other areas will certainly get you by.

I had gone to Turkey years before with my family - we did a road tour along the coast and ended up in Istanbul. I wore shorts for much of that trip as we saw a lot of ruins. Toward the end, only me, my dad, and our wonderful tour guide were excited by the ruins & history:D (I did find a photo and at Ephesus I actually had on a long sundress with walking sandals, same thing I wore at Pamukkale - talk about WOW!)

but all over Rome I wore a maxi sleeveless dress the first time I went and the shorter version the following year. I kept a a super super light long sleeve shirt in my bag to cover my arms and brought a scarf, in case they felt my hemline for the Vatican a little short- it was not! For all of Rome it was fine...

I've done a 12 day Med cruise twice..

Bernadette

We were at Acropolis in August, St. Peter's in July, San Marco in July etc

I always had knees covered with capris or flowey skirts and I always had short sleeve jerseys. Even to enter some of the designer stores like Gucci or Fendi (fun to walk around), I thought it more respectful to be reasonably covered. JMO.........

DH always wore long pants when in cities. In places such as Mykonos, shorts were fine.

Even back in the day when I had the legs for it, I wouldn't wear shorts in any major city (I lived outside of NY). I know that dress standards have changed a lot since I was young (for better or worse depends on ones perspective;)), but I've always thought showing a lot of skin in a big city is a bad idea for safety reasons alone, especially in a country where accepted standards toward women may differ from ours.

Edited by critterchick

Thank you everyone! This community is awesome!

Just between you and me, my DH is balking big time at the clothing restrictions although he understands the Vatican and Istanbul restrictions. We are doing the ships excursion in Santorini and think he's ok there. Mykonos will be a beach day..so ok there. Ephesus I think is good for shorts since I think that is our ruins day. A semi-private tour out of Naples thru the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii....not sure. Also Athens.

I am good with wearing capris...so thanks for your personal experiences and photos!

This is unrelated to my original question..but we're seriously considering not bringing our formal wear (will not go to mdr on formal night)....just so we have more flexibility when it comes to packing. We plan on 2 carry-ons and 2 pieces of luggage (one being a garment bag if we bring formal wear). If we brought a second piece of "big" luggage instead of a garment bag, I'll have room for souvenirs and xtra clothes since celebrity doesn't have self-serve laundry. We both like dressing up....so we're kind of sad about this. I KNOW!! My guy likes to wear shorts....but loves to dress fancy for formal night!

Debbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Remember first time I went to Europe many yrs. ago, complete with Hawaii shirts and whites, Ladies stared me down in Paris. Learned quickly. Europeans dress in darks and covered up. But they all wear designer type jeans, especially in Med. So wear your whites and tropicals on ship only.

We've spent plenty of time in Rome over the past few years and have been to several other cities in Europe. You see lots of skinny jeans, boots (even in the summer) and lots & lots of color. Maybe not Hawaiian prints, but plenty of color ... and plenty of skin. Maybe not as much as Miley Cyrus, thank goodness!, but nevertheless ... not too conservative, at least with the under-40 age group. And rarely does anyone look sloppy.

Lots of sandals, lots of boots, but no zorries (flip flops). One of the most amazing things we see is all of the young women wearing stiletto heels walking around on the cobblestones in Rome, perfectly balanced & at ease.

It is never wrong to present yourself respectfully and with manners and good sense.

If you are visiting a place of worship, it cannot be wrong to cover yourself appropriately.

If you have to question if some garment is tasteful or will permit entry, you probably should think twice about wearing it.

My parents just got back from the Med, when visiting Istanbul, they were told for women to have legs covered below knee and to cover shoulders, men were to also have their legs covered when visiting the Mosque. My mother wore Capri and short sleeved shirt, and of course covered her head in mosque, my dad wore a pair of Docker type slacks, although they did see men in mosque in shorts...They did basically the same dress style at the Vatican and other churches.