Big Outdoor Screen on HAL?

quilter49

I read in their brochure that some of the HAL ships have a big outdoor screen, but I looked on the ship's layout and could not determine which ship has these. Can anyone help me with this? Do they have football games on them during the fall like Princess?

The Veendam and the Rotterdam have the big screens, but it is definitely not the MUTS of Princess.

I don't know if anything is ever shown on those screens, but I've never seen it on the Veendam (haven't sailed the Rotterdam since they changed her :(). There was only scenes shown, but no audio.

We sailed Veendam last August and thankfully that screen at the Retreat (aft former pool area) was always silent. We would have been disturbed with loud music or noise from it during the day when we like to sit and enjoy the sun.

The Veendam and the Rotterdam have the big screens, but it is definitely not the MUTS of Princess.

I don't know if anything is ever shown on those screens, but I've never seen it on the Veendam (haven't sailed the Rotterdam since they changed her :(). There was only scenes shown, but no audio.

There is no way that I can describe how much I hate the MUTS on Princess. That is why I will never ever cruise on Princess again. If HAL ever puts them on, I will also leave them.

DON

When we were on the Veendam in Oct-Nov the screen was still not functioning. We have known HAL to take 2 years to repair a malfunctioning door (this happened on the Prinsendam) so expect that the screen might be working by 2017! One key Veendam staffer (we will protect this person's name and position) did tell us that life was better (onboard) without that screen working.

When Princess pioneered these large outdoor screens they called it "MUTS" which meant Movies Under the Stars. We thought it was a pretty nice option as it was only used to for evening movies (they put special covers on deck loungers and serve popcorn) and would also sometimes be used to air a special sporting event (like the SuperBowl). But then Princess started using the screen throughout much of the day, blasting the pool area with hypersound. We recently spent 28 days on the Ruby Princess and noticed that this pool was nearly empty when they were blasting stuff during the daytime. There are some cruisers who love it, but apparently many more that run to another area of the ship to escape the constant blasting noise.

Hank

I never said the screen needed repairs.

What I said was there was no loud noise coming from it.

There were some days they had various visuals showing on the screen but no volume as they knew none of us wanted any part of the noise.

Edited by sail7seas

A bit like having the tv on at home. It's only good if it's something I want to watch. Otherwise, nothing but a noisy nuisance:D

If the volume is turned off, it isn't noisy. ;)

The volume on the big screen on Veendam had no volume to disturb anyone.

Having been docked not too far away from the Emerald Princess when we were in St Thomas, I am glad that HAL didn't add the TV screen to any more ships.

It was LOUD!!

We also are happy that HAL doesn't have that noise box on their ships. We were docked next to a Princess ship once and there was a video being shown, plus the volume was very loud. I would have thought that while in port, it would have been off.

Our first cruise was on Princess with MUTS. We hated it...and haven't cruised on Princess since.

We did cruise on the Veendam with the screen...not nearly as big as the MUTS...but still, a large screen. Thankfully, it was never on...we were told it was not working. That was two plus years ago...I have a feeling they had complaints and decided not to use it.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a very beautiful ship. It's a shame that you'll let the lack of MUTS change your mind. We always cruise during Superbowl. Always. And it is shown in the Showroom at Sea.

We did Veendam to Bermuda from NYC. One night they showed a PG movie out there. The lounges weren't comfortable and not many people showed up. The pizza was totally lousy. Rather sit in Wajang theater with popcorn.

We also are happy that HAL doesn't have that noise box on their ships. We were docked next to a Princess ship once and there was a video being shown, plus the volume was very loud. I would have thought that while in port, it would have been off.

If we had wanted to, we could have sat right out on our verandah and watched the movie -- sound was loud.

The loud music videos they play on the MUTS screens during the day on Princess are indeed annoying. We much prefer the peace and quiet, or soft music.

We were scheduled to cruise on the Emerald when we discovered that our cabin was right under MUTS.

When we got home, we called out TA and cancelled the cruise.

When we were on the Veendam in Oct-Nov the screen was still not functioning. We have known HAL to take 2 years to repair a malfunctioning door (this happened on the Prinsendam) so expect that the screen might be working by 2017! One key Veendam staffer (we will protect this person's name and position) did tell us that life was better (onboard) without that screen working.

Hank

Remember the Apple commercial where the person threw the hammer through the computer screen. Maybe someone on the Veendam had the guts to do the same. The last time I sailed on a MUTS equipped Princess ship, I really wanted to.

DON

We sailed Veendam last August and thankfully that screen at the Retreat (aft former pool area) was always silent. We would have been disturbed with loud music or noise from it during the day when we like to sit and enjoy the sun.

Same here. I was on the Veendam in late March - April, and was thrilled that it was never turned on. It also looked a bit worn around the edges, rusty, etc.

My experience with Princess' MUTS has only been in Alaska, and it has never been loud. In fact, on our cruise a couple of weeks ago, we had to go ask them to turn UP the volume, because we could not hear the dialog. We have really enjoyed watching movies while sitting in the sun on a sea day.

We are considering a HAL cruise to Alaska next year in order to visit Sitka. Are movies shown in other places? I think we will really miss MUTS, but it might be worth the sacrifice this one time. I just wonder if we will be totally bored on sea days without it.

We are considering a HAL cruise to Alaska next year in order to visit Sitka. Are movies shown in other places? I think we will really miss MUTS, but it might be worth the sacrifice this one time. I just wonder if we will be totally bored on sea days without it.

Every HAL ship has an indoor place where movies are shown. Depending on the ship, it could be the Wajang Theater, in the Queen's Lounge, or in a dedicated movie room.

I would not be worried about being bored on a sea day in Alaska, though! There is so much scenery, regardless of weather, that it's a shame to come inside and miss a minute of it. I've been known to spend an entire "work day" in a lounger enjoying the fresh air, and beauty all around me.