Bad first impression

cd4lsu

My wife and I normally sail on Carnival, but we decided to give Royal Caribbean a try. We are currently standing and have been for an hour in a long line waiting to get into the Windjammer. They have still not opened it up. We have never had this problem with Carnival. I booked a March cruise during the BOGOHO sale, I am beginning to think it was a mistake. Royal Caribbean has definitely made a bad first impression. There is actually no foo ready on the ship!

Since they are from Houston, I would imagine the Navigator would be a good guess. It may be that they are used to boarding the Carnival ships very early and they usually have the Lido open by 11 am.

I always thought the Windjammer opened for lunch at noon. Perhaps a better use of time would be to explore the ship instead of waiting to eat. There will be plenty of food throughout the cruise. Perhaps the 24 hr Cafe Promenade is open?

Edited by DebJ14

Since they are from Houston, I would imagine the Navigator would be a good guess. It may be that they are used to boarding the Carnival ships very early and they usually have the Lido open by 11 am.

I've been on the Navigator as well as the other RCI Galveston ships, and I usually board in the first group. I've never seen the Windjammer closed when I boarded.

Like someone else said, there may have been an emergency, don't let this ruin the cruise.

Also, there are other places to eat on the ship than the WJ!

Have a lovely cruise :)

My wife and I normally sail on Carnival, but we decided to give Royal Caribbean a try. We are currently standing and have been for an hour in a long line waiting to get into the Windjammer. They have still not opened it up. We have never had this problem with Carnival. I booked a March cruise during the BOGOHO sale, I am beginning to think it was a mistake. Royal Caribbean has definitely made a bad first impression. There is actually no foo ready on the ship!

Perhaps you can get out of line, take a look around the ship, and then visit the Windjammer once it is opened. The Windjammer usually opens about 12 or 12:30. There can be a number of reasons for a delay. We had an instance of a windjammer delay because the ship was going through a surprise inspection.

I don't think your specific BOGOHO booking had anything to do with the Windjammer not being opened. Depending on your ship, there maybe other dining venues. It there is no food anywhere then my guess is some sort of inspection.

I am sure that the Windjammer and other food venues will open and you will have plenty to eat during your cruise. I hope you enjoy.

M

You may find this is just an example of things to come. Wishing you luck. Still you have plenty of alternatives for your next cruise.

I've been on the Navigator as well as the other RCI Galveston ships, and I usually board in the first group. I've never seen the Windjammer closed when I boarded.

Cindy please do me a favor. In November when on The Oasis, if you see me standing in line waiting for anything for more then 10 minutes, please slap me! Thank you. :eek:

I agree with the others -- definitely unusual (I've never experienced any such thing on a RCI cruise) and if I were you OP I would leave that line and go eat elsewhere on the ship. One nice thing you'll find about RCI ships is different areas to eat around the ship. Carnival of course has the Lido Buffet and the grill / burgers, etc. right outside on the Lido Deck, but Royal has food down on its Royal Promenade too!

We had a similar delay last August on the Freedom but it was not due to a medical emergency, it was because the ship was having an inspection. No venue that served food or drink could serve anything until the inspection was completed.

This makes sense to me. Hope you have a great cruise. Eat somewhere else for lunch today. lol

What bars would be open? Viking, Solarium and Pool Bar

I completely understand the OPs disappointment. If you are waiting in line for something that is supposed to be open and its not, it is incumbent for someone in charge to let their customers know what is going on. It doesn't have to be specific, but give people an explanation and they will be much more understanding

Navigator is due for the inspection as they were checked last on February 23rd . This is the most likely cause.

They never want to delay that early crowd as this thread is evidence of how sensitive that is....

I hope they do as well as Vision of the Seas and Jewel with the perfect score of 100 back in May and June. Runners up this year are Enchantment and Freedom with scores of 99.

I do not understand why anyone would stand in a line to get food, unless they are in a third world country and with nowhere else to go. It is the OPs first time on a Royal ship, go and explore, because by doing so you will find other food options. it is not the end of the world, and I hope they enjoyed the rest of the trip.

this is almost comical.....if you ate breakfast why do you need to eat at 1230...is it the free food syndrome...? and before you had to post, did you ask someone on the ship what happened? all over food, only in America

if you ate breakfast at 6 or 7 in the morning, when do you think lunch should be?

Edited by SeaUs

this is almost comical.....if you ate breakfast why do you need to eat at 1230...is it the free food syndrome...? and before you had to post, did you ask someone on the ship what happened? all over food, only in America

Some people need to eat on a specific schedule because of medical conditions such as diabetes.

When we encountered a similar delay on the Freedom, there was a woman who was having problems with her diabetes because she had planned to eat as soon as she boarded. The cruise line had gotten a wheelchair for her and someone was going to get her some food. We saw her sitting by herself and inquired if she needed something because from the look of her, i knew she was having sugar issues. I always carry protein bars and peanut butter crackers for my diabetic husband so we were able to help her out.

Oh, and she was British, not American.

Some people need to eat on a specific schedule because of medical conditions such as diabetes.

When we encountered a similar delay on the Freedom, there was a woman who was having problems with her diabetes because she had planned to eat as soon as she boarded. The cruise line had gotten a wheelchair for her and someone was going to get her some food. We saw her sitting by herself and inquired if she needed something because from the look of her, i knew she was having sugar issues. I always carry protein bars and peanut butter crackers for my diabetic husband so we were able to help her out.

Oh, and she was British, not American.

But, like you, anyone with an issue that requires them to eat on a schedule such as some diabetics, should be prepared at all times. Depending on eating on the ship doesn't always work out due to boarding delays for a variety of reasons, delays in a food area opening, etc. This is the individual's responsibility.

DH has type II diabetes, but fortunately for him, missing a meal isn't an emergency, but I've always traveled with at least pb&cheese crackers, nuts, etc, even well before DH was diagnosed.

What we usually do is either eat in another venue or wait til the cabins open up and go to the WJ then, when crowds are lowest.