Bad first impression

cd4lsu

Usual compassionate responses here on Cruise Critic! :)

Or, maybe realistic expectations should be the norm. Things happen. Being that upset because the WJ was not opened just 15 minutes after the schedule is a bit over the top don't you think? And, since the OP hasn't come back, I'm guessing it opened up.

We go to eat as soon as we get on the ship. The buffets, on ever ship that we have been on, have been open.

We usually eat a small breakfast so we are ready to eat once onboard.

I agree, there must have been something wrong, but the polite thing to do would be to let the crowd know about the delay.

But, like you, anyone with an issue that requires them to eat on a schedule such as some diabetics, should be prepared at all times. Depending on eating on the ship doesn't always work out due to boarding delays for a variety of reasons, delays in a food area opening, etc. This is the individual's responsibility.

DH has type II diabetes, but fortunately for him, missing a meal isn't an emergency, but I've always traveled with at least pb&cheese crackers, nuts, etc, even well before DH was diagnosed.

What we usually do is either eat in another venue or wait til the cabins open up and go to the WJ then, when crowds are lowest.

She was a very elderly lady with a just as old DH, they traveled far and got in late the night before. She had been assured she could get something at boarding. She said they usually carried something but had already eaten what she had.

Nothing was open. We saw this woman in the Cafe promenade. Everything was closed for the CDC inspection.

I do not understand why anyone would stand in a line to get food.

This is RCI new clientele demographic which the brand is encouraging.

Do not forget they also queue outside the Pyramid Lounge (and others) when being used as a DL/CL waiting for 'opening times'.:eek:

Could be at least three of the deadly sins being brought to the marque.

Good luck to all those who sail.

Glad we are no longer part of it.

I did not want to be on and RCI ship so I am going to find fault with everything?

What if....there was an "unscheduled" emergency? (Always much better when emergencies are scheduled and posted in the daily info sheets)

What if....it was a government mandatory inspection? Never blame any outside source, always blame __________(fill in the blank) cruise line.

What if, what if, what if.....

I tend to not buy into these one shot posts that take a shot at a cruise line....yes, we are D+ but we have more cruises on other lines that we do on RCI...so not being a cheerleader,, just a skeptic.

Edited by TEXASMUNK

I did not want to be on and RCI ship so I am going to find fault with everything?

What if....there was an "unscheduled" emergency? (Always much better when emergencies are scheduled and posted in the daily info sheets)

What if....it was a government mandatory inspection?.

What if "none of the above"?

Or, maybe realistic expectations should be the norm. Things happen. Being that upset because the WJ was not opened just 15 minutes after the schedule is a bit over the top don't you think? And, since the OP hasn't come back, I'm guessing it opened up.

It was 45 minutes after the schedule. If they were on the ship that most think they were on.

Edited by time4u2go

It seems to me that this would not have been a problem if Royal Caribbean had simply had someone walking through the line, explaining the holdup, and giving people truthful and open communication about other venues which might be serving and when the WJ might open.

I can't imagine that the OP is the only one upset about not being able to eat upon boarding. As others have pointed out, it might have been quite some time from when they had breakfast. If they left their home to drive in or took an early flight it's possible that they last ate 6-8 hours ago.

Cindy please do me a favor. In November when on The Oasis, if you see me standing in line waiting for anything for more then 10 minutes, please slap me! Thank you. :eek:

10 minutes? You're more patient than I am!:D

Seriously, I would be happy to help, however if you're in a Windjammer line I'm not likely to be of assistance. It's almost a game with us, to see how LITTLE time we can spend in there. With all the different choices, our goal on the Oasis may be to enter the Windjammer for photographic purposes only!:p

She was a very elderly lady with a just as old DH, they traveled far and got in late the night before. She had been assured she could get something at boarding. She said they usually carried something but had already eaten what she had.

Nothing was open. We saw this woman in the Cafe promenade. Everything was closed for the CDC inspection.

Thank goodness you noticed and were able to help. :)

LuLu

This is RCI new clientele demographic which the brand is encouraging.

Do not forget they also queue outside the Pyramid Lounge (and others) when being used as a DL/CL waiting for 'opening times'.:eek:

Could be at least three of the deadly sins being brought to the marque.

Good luck to all those who sail.

Glad we are no longer part of it.

I'm glad you're no longer part of it as well by the content and tone of your post :-)

The same thing actually happened to me when I was on the Carnival Breeze earlier this year. I was in line for the buffet, it was past noon, the line wasn't moving, and I was HANGRY. All I wanted was some FOOD! Once I was able to sit down and eat, I felt a lot better. Luckily, I didn't let my first bad impression ruin my entire cruise. We had a great time - sure there were some hiccups and some places where I thought other cruise lines were better (I've sailed five), but the positive far outweighed the bad. And while I'm always looking for a good value and quality service, nothing means more to me than being able to spend quality time with family.

10 minutes? You're more patient than I am!:D

Seriously, I would be happy to help, however if you're in a Windjammer line I'm not likely to be of assistance. It's almost a game with us, to see how LITTLE time we can spend in there. With all the different choices, our goal on the Oasis may be to enter the Windjammer for photographic purposes only!:p

Our last cruise on The Allure we never ate at the WJ! Still gained weight! :D

My wife and I normally sail on Carnival, but we decided to give Royal Caribbean a try. We are currently standing and have been for an hour in a long line waiting to get into the Windjammer. They have still not opened it up. .............

Please come back and tell us when you were finally able to get something to eat.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

My wife and I normally sail on Carnival, but we decided to give Royal Caribbean a try. We are currently standing and have been for an hour in a long line waiting to get into the Windjammer. They have still not opened it up. We have never had this problem with Carnival. I booked a March cruise during the BOGOHO sale, I am beginning to think it was a mistake. Royal Caribbean has definitely made a bad first impression. There is actually no foo ready on the ship!

So, let me get this straight - you're on the Navigator, and I'm guessing the stated opening time for the WJ was noon. But, you line up at 11:15 to wait, and at a few minutes past 12 when there has been some delay in opening, you post your complaint as a CC thread!!??

Isn't this a bit early to decide you've made a mistake? Did you get fed, and how's the cruise going now?

BTW, your March cruise is still fully refundable.

So, let me get this straight - you're on the Navigator, and I'm guessing the stated opening time for the WJ was noon. But, you line up at 11:15 to wait, and at a few minutes past 12 when there has been some delay in opening, you post your complaint as a CC thread!!??

Isn't this a bit early to decide you've made a mistake? Did you get fed, and how's the cruise going now?

BTW, your March cruise is still fully refundable.

Ha ha ha ha ! Your comment about the March cruise had me laughing out loud.

Thanks !!! :-)

Come on guys.

We (Carnival cruisers) always hear how Carnival sucks, it's the Walmart of cruising etc. Come over to Royal, pay more money and experience the WOW factor.

Well, this cruiser came over to Royal and is not experiencing the WOW factor. He is describing his current experience.

What happens? The alleged more upscale Loyal Royals jump down his throat and make excuses.

The Loyal Royal behavior on these boards is as bad as the Carnival Cheerleaders.

Another reason for me to believe that these two cruiselines are more alike than different.