Laffnvegas and others have piqued my curiosity.....

sail7seas

Most regulars here know I've not sailed another cruise line than HAL for a great many years. I had no interest in looking or booking elsewhere from HAL until today.

I have read with interest and admittedly a bit of puzzlement when Lisa and others rave about NCL. I hate the graffiti mess they paint all over their ships and have never considered sailing them.

THEN, today, friends knowing I won't cruise alone in the immediate future, invited me to join them for a NCL cruise that really appeals to me. I like where and how we would board, they are very, very good friends I'd be comfortable sailing with (as DH and sailed with them at least 3-4 times in the past) and I'm actually giving it some thought. it isn't for a while so I'll have time to adjust to the idea of being solo after always sailing with my DH but I am a little interested to see for myself about NCL.

Wow, I never thought I'd post something like this. :eek:

Anyone think I'd be making a huge mistake to go? I think the ship might be Dream but I'm not sure. I need a verandah but certainly not a family suite. If I go, what is the minimum balcony cabin I'd be okay with seeing I'm used to "S" and "SA"cabins? I don't need a ton of space but won't be satisfied with cramped either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am a diehard Celebrity cruiser who will be sailing HAL for the first time next week (Rotterdam). I am looking forward to the cruise and am sure I will like it. But, being an Elite Plus Captains Club member on Celebrity there is no way I will now change allegiances.....the benefits are just too good. I wish the cruise lines had something similar to the airlines where there was some sort of matching program for loyalty programs. Without this there is no real way to compare.

Sail--I'll add my voice to others supporting your choice to consider sailing with friends on NCL. Since the news of the loss of your husband I've been thinking about how difficult it would be to return to HAL right away. You kept saying that there was no way you could consider something different, but your life is different. You love to travel and have wonderful friends who want you to be happy. I agree that surrounding yourself with loving friends is important, but rushing into a HAL cruise where memories will be everywhere may be more painful than a change of line.

I don’t know you at all but I have the impression that you are well known and loved by the Holland America family. A little anonymity your first time back at sea might be a good thing? It might be difficult for you to experience other's sorrow for your loss. Well-meaning and sincere as people are, you might just be overwhelmed by kindness. Does that make sense? I hope my meaning is clear. I had a completely different situation, but a similar experience recently and it was too much. Best wishes.

Being content with the lowliest of inside cabins, I can't speak to the cabin category on NCL that approximates what you're used to on HAL, but I think you'll find much to like about NCL. Wishing you healing and peace, no matter what you decide.

I so very much agree with the others here, especially LSEA, your HAL family will be everywhere....and your loss to them will be undeniable....you may spend a great deal of time trying to be braver than you are able, or offering comfort to those who wish to comfort you. That probably wasn't said very well but I hope you understand what I mean. I do think the newness of it all will be such a help to you....for your bittersweet return to cruising. I wish the very best for you.

I was thinking Sails, NCL has those Garden Suites and also some have 2 bedroom suites, that might be kind of nice for you all. The Garden Suites on some ships have three bedrooms with a huge living area and they are more centered on the ship. That might work for you and your friends. My DH and I have always said we could see ourselves in them but you really need more then 2 people to make it work.

I think this is a great idea for you, different ship, different experience, but having some good friends to travel with, sounds ideal to me. Hope you do it and I'm sure your DH would approve.

Sail....I am so glad you are really thinking this all through and I agree with others that going on your first solo cruise on a different line than HAL would be a very good idea.

We have never been on NCL so I can't comment to that but we did go outside our box and tried Princess and were pleasantly surprised. It has now opened up our minds to try other cruise lines.

You are truly blessed to have such wonderful friends but that also shows what a wonderful friend you are to them as well.

Well, that's actually from "Mame"

Open a new window,

Open a new door,

Travel a new highway,

That's never been tried before;

Before you find you're a dull fellow,

Punching the same clock,

Walking the same tight rope

As everyone on the block.

The fellow you ought to be is three dimensional,

Soaking up life down to your toes,

Whenever they say you're slightly unconventional,

Just put your thumb up to your nose.

And show 'em how to dance to a new rhythm,

Whistle a new song,

Toast with a new vintage,

The fizz doesn't fizz too long.

There's only one way to make the bubbles stay,

Simply travel a new high way,

Dance to a new rhythm,

Open a new window ev'ry day!

I think what you're talking about is:

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window. That's from "Sound of Music"

But, either way, the idea works :)

Sail: (Please note my CC Tag!) I booked my first solo cruise on NCL, terrified to go alone, but determined to conquer my fears. Although you will be traveling with friends, I found NCL welcoming to solos, with many opportunities to mix and mingle. I do prefer NCL's smaller ships; they have a similar feel to HAL. Usually, I book an itinerary with many sea days with NCL; when it comes to packing in a myriad of daytime activities for every age and interest, NCL cannot be beat.

GO FOR IT!!

We are glad to hear that the OP is considering continuing her cruising life. We appreciate how difficult it came be to move on with one's life and hope that DW would have the same attitude if she had to face the same situation.

The OP (and others) know that I have never been one to get hung up on a single cruise line (we have cruised on 14 lines not counting River Cruises). Where others seek out the familiarity and sameness of going on the same line again and again...we actually love the variety that comes from cruising many different lines, totally different itineraries, and different size vessels. So, with that in mind we would really encourage the OP to go off on Norwegian...which is a totally different kind of product then HAL. At this time of your life, something new and different might be a very good thing.

Hank

We are glad to hear that the OP is considering continuing her cruising life. We appreciate how difficult it came be to move on with one's life and hope that DW would have the same attitude if she had to face the same situation.

The OP (and others) know that I have never been one to get hung up on a single cruise line (we have cruised on 14 lines not counting River Cruises). Where others seek out the familiarity and sameness of going on the same line again and again...we actually love the variety that comes from cruising many different lines, totally different itineraries, and different size vessels. So, with that in mind we would really encourage the OP to go off on Norwegian...which is a totally different kind of product then HAL. At this time of your life, something new and different might be a very good thing.

Hank

I'm delighted that works so well for you. :cool:

I was thinking Sails, NCL has those Garden Suites and also some have 2 bedroom suites, that might be kind of nice for you all. The Garden Suites on some ships have three bedrooms with a huge living area and they are more centered on the ship. That might work for you and your friends. My DH and I have always said we could see ourselves in them but you really need more then 2 people to make it work.

I think this is a great idea for you, different ship, different experience, but having some good friends to travel with, sounds ideal to me. Hope you do it and I'm sure your DH would approve.

I must be missing something. :confused:

What would I, as a solo, do with a two bedroom suite?

Sail

They are suggesting that your friends and you should book the 2 bedroom Garden suites. They would have 1 bedroom and you would have the other one.

You all would have to agree on what you should pay your friends for your part of the cruise fare.

Sail

They are suggesting that your friends and you should book the 2 bedroom Garden suites. They would have 1 bedroom and you would have the other one.

You all would have to agree on what you should pay your friends for your part of the cruise fare.

KK,

I suspected that but wasn't sure as it struck me as an odd suggestion for me to share a living space with a married couple? I wouldn't dream of not having my own cabin. :eek: If I don't have my own accommodation, I stay home. :D

I don’t know you at all but I have the impression that you are well known and loved by the Holland America family. A little anonymity your first time back at sea might be a good thing? It might be difficult for you to experience other's sorrow for your loss. Well-meaning and sincere as people are, you might just be overwhelmed by kindness. Does that make sense? I hope my meaning is clear. I had a completely different situation, but a similar experience recently and it was too much. Best wishes.

Very good point.

You get it.

Very good point.

You get it.

This struck me so profoundly, I wasn't able at first to comment.

I know exactly what you are saying and it is a good point. It is inevitable many will innocently ask me where is "DH". That could be overwhelming to me.

KK,

I suspected that but wasn't sure as it struck me as an odd suggestion for me to share a living space with a married couple? I wouldn't dream of not having my own cabin. :eek: If I don't have my own accommodation, I stay home. :D

Sail, I have seen the Garden Villa on the Star and it is identical to the Garden Villa on the Dawn. First let me say that the Garden Villa is much like a Three bedroom home with two of the bedrooms being much like large Master Suites with each having these absolutely amazing bathrooms. The third bedroom in the Villa is small but you would not have to use it. Trust me you would only be sharing the living area with the Baby Grand Piano, Bar. You Butler would have access directly into the Villa. You have. Each Bedroom in the Villa has it's own key card to your cabin. No Other passengers can come up to this area only those registered in one of the two Villas. Even the elevator has to be access by your key card. The Villas have some amazing art work that is all one of a kind. It is actually quite nice. Each Villa has the Three bedrooms which like I mentioned two are quite large. The Sq ft is 2286 like I stated like a home, then the balcony area which is even bigger boasts 3612 sw ft out here has the private jacuzzi

lfpgardenvilla3.jpg.de541de1f5468f3241023088b68cfa7f.jpg

Sail, I have seen the Garden Villa on the Star and it is identical to the Garden Villa on the Dawn. First let me say that the Garden Villa is much like a Three bedroom home with two of the bedrooms being much like large Master Suites with each having these absolutely amazing bathrooms. The third bedroom in the Villa is small but you would not have to use it. Trust me you would only be sharing the living area with the Baby Grand Piano, Bar. You Butler would have access directly into the Villa. You have. Each Bedroom in the Villa has it's own key card to your cabin. No Other passengers can come up to this area only those registered in one of the two Villas. Even the elevator has to be access by your key card. The Villas have some amazing art work that is all one of a kind. It is actually quite nice. Each Villa has the Three bedrooms which like I mentioned two are quite large. The Sq ft is 2286 like I stated like a home, then the balcony area which is even bigger boasts 3612 sw ft out here has the private jacuzzi

Thank you for the description. Sounds lovely but not anything I would consider.

That sort of space is way more than I want or need. It overwhelms me just reading about it.

I am never a 'house guest'. If we went to visit out of town friends or relatives, we stayed in a hotel.

I don't share my living space. :D

Edited by sail7seas

I think it would be a great experience to cruise on another line with good friends.

I've never sailed on Norwegian, but I have wanted to since Getaway came to town.

I have heard so many good things about the cruise line.

I guess I am in the minority, but I like the signature artwork on the hull.

Peter Max and Guy Harvey are two well-known artists who've been given Norwegian ship hulls to design.

Well your only other choices would be suites that are either aft or bow located. Suite size would be around 350 sq ft., certainly big enough for one person but like Hal you would be along ways from many suite services. I had thought you said you like being mid ship, but I may have gotten that wrong.

I was just trying to put you in the same size cabin you were use to traveling in. In the same part of the ship you were use to. If your willing to do these other cabins, which are very nice, I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Then there really is little choice as I'd certainly be very alone in a two bedroom suite. That doesn't sound cozy and calming to keep looking at an empty bedroom. Sigh........

I certainly cannot/would not share with anyone. I must have my own space and privacy especially for the first cruises I attempt.

Seems I'd best think twice and remain with HAL. HAL offers me what I like the way I like it. If I can't have that elsewhere, I shouldn't be going elsewhere,,,,,,,, maybe?

Edited by sail7seas

Then there really is little choice as I'd certainly be very alone in a two bedroom suite. That doesn't sound cozy and calming to keep looking at an empty bedroom. Sigh........

I certainly cannot/would not share with anyone. I must have my own space and privacy especially for the first cruises I attempt.

Seems I'd best think twice and remain with HAL. HAL offers me what I like the way I like it. If I can't have that elsewhere, I shouldn't be going elsewhere,,,,,,,, maybe?

Don't say that, it really depends on what NCL ships you go on, I think you mentioned the Dawn. She does have some mid ship mini suites that may do nicely. Don't give up, wait until you get more information from your friends before you make any kind of decision.

Give it a try. I would not even over-analyze it. Just leap right in and book it and enjoy the traveling party you will be going with. The worst case scenario is you come back to HAL with a new appreciation for things you were familiar with. Best case scenario is you have wonderful new experiences with friends. It really does not sound like you could lose out.

Sail: I'm one of the people who said Dawn was my least favorite ship. That's just ME. I'm about to spend 12 days on Fantasy, ok? I've been on Pride. I was on Norwegian Majesty on one of her last cruises. I'm surprised I canceled my Veendam cruise because I think I specialize in "least favorite". The Dawn, objectively, was head and shoulders above the ships I just mentioned. Honestly you will really like the energy of Freestyle. Traffic just flows in a different way. People are on their own schedules so the ship feels less crowded. The crews on NCL, in my experience, are incredibly friendly. Is there no way you can just get a balcony room? Forget the suite. Or just get the lowest level of suite that qualifies for the Haven.

The only reason I felt Dawn was my least favorite was because I knew I was going on Westerdam in four months and I was in a HAL frame of mind. Also I had just gotten off Caribbean Princess two months before- that ship was half full due to a hurricane- and it's a gorgeous ship and obviously had no crowds. That was during a highly unusual year when I went on four cruises while theoretically being employed full time ;). If I had just gone on Dawn as my only cruise that year she would have been my "favorite ship".

If you're not ready, you're not ready. But you are a traveler, not a tourist, that's been established long ago on here. Also we would all love a compare and contrast thread from you. It gets old on here when every other thread is about the decline of the "way things used to be". That's why LAFFNVEGAS' reviews are so bouncy and energetic- she's diversifying and, possibly not coincidentally, sailing NCL.

Hi,

I sail a lot with NCL and have another suggestion for you as far as cabins. It seems that you would want to book a suite for the extra amenities and it sounds as if your friends would also be booking a suite. If they have a suite and you don't, then you wouldn't be able to join them for breakfast and lunch in the specialty restaurant or have access to the other suite perks.

Besides the forward and aft suites on the Dawn, there are also newer suites on Deck 12. They are listed as "Family suites with Balcony", but are actually just one large room and would not be too large for a single cruiser. I think they are billed as "Family Suites" as the couch pulls out, otherwise it's basically a room with a bed and small sitting area. These suites are still forward, but are on the side of the ship and a little closer to mid-ship.

These might be a good alternative for you. Whatever you decide, I wish you happy sailing!