Would you join a book club on board?

Lots of people say they like to read during their cruise. What if the first day they sold the same paperback book to whoever is interested (revenue stream for the company). Then maybe halfway through, and again on the last day they could have a book discussion group. The people who had already read the book on their own could attend also. I don't think they would even need a moderator from the ship - the book club people could handle it on their own. Cookies and coffee would be nice, but not necessary. The book could change every couple of months for repeat cruisers.

Nice idea , but likely not a full club on board. I would never get the book read.

Another thought is for a rollcall to organize a book club. Maybe something light or sea related. That way folks can start the book prior to the cruise. I always think I'm going to read on a cruise, then find I have no extended time to start and finish a whole book. I could definitely find a time one morning or afternoon,

perhaps towards the end of the cruise, for a book discussion.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Lots of people say they like to read during their cruise. What if the first day they sold the same paperback book to whoever is interested (revenue stream for the company). Then maybe halfway through, and again on the last day they could have a book discussion group. The people who had already read the book on their own could attend also. I don't think they would even need a moderator from the ship - the book club people could handle it on their own. Cookies and coffee would be nice, but not necessary. The book could change every couple of months for repeat cruisers.

Interesting concept. Think this would be a great activity for a transatlantic due to the longer time frame. On a seven day, can't really see getting many takers since cruisers want the freedom of mindlessness...or maybe that's just me. ;)

Interesting concept. Think this would be a great activity for a transatlantic due to the longer time frame. On a seven day, can't really see getting many takers since cruisers want the freedom of mindlessness...or maybe that's just me. ;)

Great idea.

M

I agree it seems like a no-brainer for a transatlantic. Maybe they already do something like this? (No personal experience.) On a 7 day you'd have to make it clear at the start that finishing the book isn't required - after all its not homework. But even if you only read a little bit it still might be interesting to discuss. Book reviews can recommend quick reads or what they call beach reading.

I've seen this done on transatlantic cruises where the book was chosen by the Roll Call participants and a day to start was decided ahead of time. It was about a church in Barcelona and the cruise was stopping there. I didn't participate because so many people indicated they would join that I couldn't see how any discussion could happen with over 30 people.....but those who did seemed to have enjoyed it.

I started a "book club" in my neighborhood and eventually left it as it was just a wine club with the occasional mention of the book and most had not finished or even read the book. No thanks!

I do organize book swaps on cruises via the roll call. I have one scheduled with some folks on a January cruise.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I'd also be in favor of the book discussion group on a transatlantic.

Not on RCCL ... but on a couple of longer Princess cruises we had this sort of thing. People told about books they had read recently or were reading.

Unfortunately, it's been quite a while since I've seen it offered. It was always well attended and everyone seemed to enjoy.

LuLu

Holland America (HAL) has book clubs on longer cruises with lots of sea days. The books are provided by HAL and must be returned by the end of the cruise. The HAL librarian moderates the book club meetings. For those of you who have not sailed on HAL, all HAL ships have extensive libraries on board.

On our last HAL cruise with a book club, our group included 2 published authors along with participants from at least 10 countries. We had a ship sponsored tea for the book club at the end of the cruise. All of us provided a list of our 3 favorite books which the librarian collated and emailed to us.

A ship book club is a wonderful way to pass time and meet great people.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wouldn't be even slightly interested.

Cunard has done this as well. The book was announced on the website and books could be purchased on land or wait until boarding the ship. The librarian led the discussion. The book is usually on the best sellers list. I thought it was a good idea and had a lot of laughs during our meeting.

On our TA last fall there were 2 book discussions that were posted on the roll call.

One of our pax was the author of a time travel romance and another was the aunt of the author of a historical fiction with some LGBT overtones. I think there was ample interest/attendance in both sessions. The long sea days make this a more popular activity.

Sounds good to me. :)