This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

As Rustybuttons123 has already admitted that he flaunts no-vaping rules in cabins and restaurants, DOT regs will probably not phase him. The big question is whether the smoke detectors in plane washrooms can also detect someone vaping.

As Rustybuttons123 has already admitted that he flaunts no-vaping rules in cabins and restaurants, DOT regs will probably not phase him. The big question is whether the smoke detectors in plane washrooms can also detect someone vaping.

You're not allowed to vape in plane washrooms, and that would be rude occupying it for an extended period of time for other than bodily functions business.

Again, I'm not suggesting bringing back inside the room smoking, only allowed on balcony, obviously inside cabins would not have this option.

Wasn't there a fire several years ago from a cigarette going overboard and landing on another balcony. I've always thought this was a serious fire risk. I would think people would be careful of their lit cigarettes (and most probably are), but then I'm surprised by what some passengers put down their toilets also.

From an economic point of view, while smokers are definitely a minority (I've seen <20% on this thread), they travel with family and friends, so the number potentially lost is greater. I'm sure this was a tough decision for HAL to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wasn't there a fire several years ago from a cigarette going overboard and landing on another balcony. I've always thought this was a serious fire risk. I would think people would be careful of their lit cigarettes (and most probably are), but then I'm surprised by what some passengers put down their toilets also.

From an economic point of view, while smokers are definitely a minority (I've seen <20% on this thread), they travel with family and friends, so the number potentially lost is greater. I'm sure this was a tough decision for HAL to make.

When I smoked I never tossed a lit butt anywhere, on a cabin balcony I used the ashtray, if I didn't have one I'd use a water bottle half filled with water then put the cap back on. But I don't smoke anymore, I just vape. No fires with e-cigs unless the battery explodes but that's never happened and I never leave batteries recharging while I'm not around, I unplug them.

When I smoked I never tossed a lit butt anywhere, on a cabin balcony I used the ashtray, if I didn't have one I'd use a water bottle half filled with water then put the cap back on. But I don't smoke anymore, I just vape. No fires with e-cigs unless the battery explodes but that's never happened and I never leave batteries recharging while I'm not around, I unplug them.

Just one example of battery exploding here:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/09/14/e-vape-battery-explosion-new-jersey-pkg.news-12-new-jersey

On local news in Arizona yesterday was a man whose spare battery blew up

and caught fire in his pants pocket.:eek:

Moderate injuries resulted.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

I just received my official email notice of the smoking policy change on my cruise in January - an hour and a half ago. Plenty of notice before the 75 day deadline for my final payment. Back to using my balcony whenever I please, thank you, HAL.

Just one example of battery exploding here:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/09/14/e-vape-battery-explosion-new-jersey-pkg.news-12-new-jersey

On local news in Arizona yesterday was a man whose spare battery blew up

and caught fire in his pants pocket.:eek:

Moderate injuries resulted.

Cheers!

Maybe I should have clarified, its never happened to ME. Thought since I mentioned them exploding it was obvious I was aware it was possible. Of course cell phone and laptop batteries, also of the lithium variety, are known to explode too and are larger batteries. But again, I've never had one of MY lithium batteries explode, not an e-cig, cell phone or laptop.

Maybe I should have clarified, its never happened to ME. Thought since I mentioned them exploding it was obvious I was aware it was possible. Of course cell phone and laptop batteries, also of the lithium variety, are known to explode too and are larger batteries. But again, I've never had one of MY lithium batteries explode, not an e-cig, cell phone or laptop.

Be patient and it might happen. :)

Looks like HAL's new management is finally starting to bring the company kicking and screaming into the current century.

They may be a day late and a dollar short but I applaud them for doing the right thing. Wonder what will be next?

Looks like HAL's new management is finally starting to bring the company kicking and screaming into the current century.

They may be a day late and a dollar short but I applaud them for doing the right thing. Wonder what will be next?

But it is already too late so why not from a purely financial basis exploit their distinctness from all the other major cruise lines and continue to be the refuge for smokers . The ship has already sailed so why continue to zig when everybody has already zagged ? It is way too late to profit from putting in the restrictions they should have 3 years ago so why not profit from this initial poor decision ?

BTW , I hate smoke and since my 2nd cruise have refused to get a balcony on any brand that allowed smoking on them .

But it is already too late so why not from a purely financial basis exploit their distinctness from all the other major cruise lines and continue to be the refuge for smokers . The ship has already sailed so why continue to zig when everybody has already zagged ? It is way too late to profit from putting in the restrictions they should have 3 years ago so why not profit from this initial poor decision ?

BTW , I hate smoke and since my 2nd cruise have refused to get a balcony on any brand that allowed smoking on them .

You may have at least partially answered your question in your last sentence. I think market research probably showed there were many people doing as you and not booking balconies, or foregoing HAL altogether in favor of a line where they could have a smoke-free balcony. With the rapidly declining smoking population, I don't think the number of cruisers HAL will lose with this switch is anywhere near as large as the revenue they were losing by allowing balcony smoking.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not think that it is too late.

My impression is that HAL is trying to move forward. Certainly get this impression from the description and amenities on their new ship. Long, long overdue.

I suspect that HAL is finally going to 'where the puck is going to be' instead of where it was during that last play, period or even game.

OR perhaps the puck is already there and HAL management are simply playing catch up before it is too late.

Edited by iancal

Pando have had a rule that smoking to only allowed in certain places on outside decks. This is the same rule as HAL is putting in place.

Just remember non smokers, that these outside areas are for smokers, so we would expect none smokers to sit some place else. Even if the sun is not shinning on the none smoking areas. Have fun.:D

We & also our Friends each booked a balcony for our upcoming cruise in Oct.. I'm hoping that we will not be bothered by cigarette smoke since the ban does not take effect until after the first of the year.. :)

DH would be bothered the most, as he has lung problem & we always carry an inhaler with us for him to use..

Edited by serendipity1499

Pando have had a rule that smoking to only allowed in certain places on outside decks. This is the same rule as HAL is putting in place.

Just remember non smokers, that these outside areas are for smokers, so we would expect none smokers to sit some place else. Even if the sun is not shinning on the none smoking areas. Have fun.:D

Huh? What is Pando? In any case the last place non smokers want to sit is in a smoking space. LOL

Also happy to hear this. I am a 'respectful' cigar smoker and would have never been concerned about balcony smoking until our last Jan. Reflection cruise.

Ironically smoking is banned on X balconies and for the first time ever we noticed a distinct cigarette aroma when we had our cabin balcony door open.

It was overbearing a few times (maybe the wind was just blowing right)

but it made me realize that if you were next door to a heavy smoker it could be unpleasant. Despite it being banned on X we did not report it as I am not sure how they would enforce unless they were in position where ships camera could see it.

Since cigars are not allowed on balcs glad that HAL did make this change.

Also happy to hear this. I am a 'respectful' cigar smoker and would have never been concerned about balcony smoking until our last Jan. Reflection cruise.

Ironically smoking is banned on X balconies and for the first time ever we noticed a distinct cigarette aroma when we had our cabin balcony door open.

It was overbearing a few times (maybe the wind was just blowing right)

but it made me realize that if you were next door to a heavy smoker it could be unpleasant. Despite it being banned on X we did not report it as I am not sure how they would enforce unless they were in position where ships camera could see it.

Since cigars are not allowed on balcs glad that HAL did make this change.

Celebrity always follows up when they received a smoking complaint. They strictly enforce their smoking policy and encourage guests to report violations. We had neighbours smoking and it stopped immediately after passenger services were notified.

Celebrity always follows up when they received a smoking complaint. They strictly enforce their smoking policy and encourage guests to report violations. We had neighbours smoking and it stopped immediately after passenger services were notified.

Thanks for the follow up. I would have definitely pursued it if it (smoking) continued over an extended period.

I figured that if someone lit up by the time I reported the incident the smoking would have ended.

Before this happened I frankly thought complainers about balcony smoking were perhaps over sensitive (considering it was outdoors) but I was surprised by how objectionable it was to me.

We are four and only one smokes. He will have to adjust to the new policy now. We are still going to sail HAL. Not the other way around.

I do not think that it is too late.

My impression is that HAL is trying to move forward. Certainly get this impression from the description and amenities on their new ship. Long, long overdue.

I suspect that HAL is finally going to 'where the puck is going to be' instead of where it was during that last play, period or even game.

OR perhaps the puck is already there and HAL management are simply playing catch up before it is too late.

Considering the direction most mainstream lines are headed (downward), I hope HAL does not try too hard to "catch up".