Passenger drowned on Sapphire Princess

Kosi

About a bazillion people use cruise ship pools each year. The percentage of people who drown is amazingly low considering the number of people using the pools. It happens and it will continue to happen. It's a crummy thing to have happen on a vacation (or anytime for that matter) but it definitely is going to happen.

If, as a result of what he wrote, more parents will pay attention to their kids while they are in swimming or playing around cruise ship pool.

I doubt it.

People have a false sense of security when it comes to their kids on a cruise.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

A 20 year old college student here in Chico drowned recently in the swimming pool at the apartment complex where he lived. The autopsy showed no drugs, no alcohol, no heart attack... Just drowning. It does happen.

It is actually quite easy to drown. Anything that temporarily interrupts motor control can do it, even a cramp at the wrong time and place.

This is quite true and certainly could have been the cause.

At this point all we are doing is guessing.

Sad ... for whatever reason. :(

Without any facts, we can only speculate on what happened. Sometimes, people do life-changing things without thinking or knowing what they're doing. Recently, a mother and her two children were rescued from a pool where they were swimming. The children got into trouble and the mother jumped in to save them. None knew how to swim. Tragic but begs the question of why they were in the pool in the first place. I don't know if any of them survived or if they're still in critical condition.

Accidents happen and so often, parents aren't watching their kids in the pool. They are the ones most responsible and should never depend on others, even life guards, for their children's safety.

One thing to consider is that if there are life guards, there are liability issues because then Princess (and the other cruise lines) become responsible for everyone in or near the pool. We all know that many kids run amok throughout the ship and some parents take no responsibility for their actions. If there was a lifeguard, some parents would be even less responsible than they are today which is a frightening thought.

What kind of authority would a lifeguard have? Would they be able to ban misbehaving and/or uncontrollable kids from the pool area? Would they be able to ban the parents as well?

IMHO, having a life guard is a good idea but I'm afraid it would open up a can of worms and be far more complicated than appears on the surface.

How does a 42 year old drown in a hot tub?

Some one with a heart condition.

About a year ago, a local man went into a Hot Tub and suffered a heart attack.

Coroner stated that the thermal shock was probably the likely cause.

Truly a tragic situation. No one goes on a cruise expecting to die or lose a loved one.

The issue with lifeguards on a ship is that, even though the hours of operation are limited, there is open access to the numerous pools and hot tubs all over the ship 24 hours a day. Would a lifeguard need to be posted 24 hours a day at each facility, even though the pools technically close at 10 p.m. (I think)?

Maybe they could have some life guards patrolling the decks during high occupancy hours, but having a life guard stationed at each pool and hot tub throughout the entire length of the ship 24/7 is unlikely to happen. (Maybe cameras trained solely on the pools at all times as part of security monitoring the activities on board?)

Accidents are going to happen and, while it cannot be negligent, Princess or any cruise line cannot provide a 100% safe environment.

Truly a tragic situation. No one goes on a cruise expecting to die or lose a loved one.

The issue with lifeguards on a ship is that, even though the hours of operation are limited, there is open access to the numerous pools and hot tubs all over the ship 24 hours a day. Would a lifeguard need to be posted 24 hours a day at each facility, even though the pools technically close at 10 p.m. (I think)?

Maybe they could have some life guards patrolling the decks during high occupancy hours, but having a life guard stationed at each pool and hot tub throughout the entire length of the ship 24/7 is unlikely to happen. (Maybe cameras trained solely on the pools at all times as part of security monitoring the activities on board?)

Accidents are going to happen and, while it cannot be negligent, Princess or any cruise line cannot provide a 100% safe environment.

Actually, the pools and hot tubs are covered with rope netting at night when they are closed.

Actually, the pools and hot tubs are covered with rope netting at night when they are closed.

I understand that. However, they are unattended and still accessible by both children and adults even though they are "closed," and bet it happens more often than not. So does this mean that a sign that says, "No lifeguard on duty after closing" is any less sufficient than a sign saying "No lifeguard on duty at any time."

Edited by SingerEsq

Without any facts, we can only speculate on what happened. Sometimes, people do life-changing things without thinking or knowing what they're doing. Recently, a mother and her two children were rescued from a pool where they were swimming. The children got into trouble and the mother jumped in to save them. None knew how to swim. Tragic but begs the question of why they were in the pool in the first place. I don't know if any of them survived or if they're still in critical condition.

Accidents happen and so often, parents aren't watching their kids in the pool. They are the ones most responsible and should never depend on others, even life guards, for their children's safety.

One thing to consider is that if there are life guards, there are liability issues because then Princess (and the other cruise lines) become responsible for everyone in or near the pool. We all know that many kids run amok throughout the ship and some parents take no responsibility for their actions. If there was a lifeguard, some parents would be even less responsible than they are today which is a frightening thought.

What kind of authority would a lifeguard have? Would they be able to ban misbehaving and/or uncontrollable kids from the pool area? Would they be able to ban the parents as well?

IMHO, having a life guard is a good idea but I'm afraid it would open up a can of worms and be far more complicated than appears on the surface.

I agree. My thought is just how much legislation do we want to protect us from ourselves? Can't people be responsible for their own actions and those of their children? If my kids are in the pool, you can bet that I'm there with them and not trusting them to a lifeguard. As for this young woman....there are too many unanswered questions.

Sadly, no matter what the reason, if there is water there will be drownings. We live in the Phoenix, AZ area and it is a pretty common news story. There are pools of some sort in about 20% of the residential properties (homes, condos, apartments, HOA community pools, so it is going to happen more often than you want to hear about (none would be the best thing).

Unfortunately when people are on vacation they tend to not be as vigilant about their safety as they should, especially around water.

One time (many years ago) we were in Cancun and on the beach near our hotel (and there weren't many back then, so, no life guards). A young girl came up to my friend and myself and said "please help, my brother can't get back to shore". Seeing the young boy struggling, my friend and I jumped in and swam out to help. We had a hell of a time pulling him back in because of the riptide in that area. We were both pretty strong swimmers and did what is always suggested ( swim parallel to the ripe tide area until it isn't as strong then swim in). That could have easily been a tragedy for that boy (and possibly one or both of us) if things didn't work out the way they did.

So parents, always watch your children around water.... and yourselves as well (non-parents watch yourselves and each other, too)!

Edited by ar1950