wi fi

jaxw17

Hi

New to this cruise line i believe we have an unlimited wifi package with our booking and just wondered what the speeds were like. I am not techy minded so slow medium fast will do LOL

Jackie

Hi

New to this cruise line i believe we have an unlimited wifi package with our booking and just wondered what the speeds were like. I am not techy minded so slow medium fast will do LOL

Jackie

Usually slow..

Jancruz1

Anybody have info on the connect@sea app? I'm guessing it's wifi driven so if we only have 1 internet package we would only be able to activate one device at a time so this app would not work for my hubby and I to communicate to each other via iPhones ? Is this a correct assumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It should be just fine for e mail and such.

I find it fastest very early in AM or late at night when fewer people are online.

IMO the best thing about having the Unlimited Package, is that it removes the stress of mentally counting the minutes, particularly when an essential Site just won't load.

High traffic Sites, and Sites which have a lot of sexy Ad-ware running in the background, can be especially frustrating to get to.

As LHT and Paul suggest, using the Internet when most of the Ship is offline will render speeds which are close to what we see at home, but there are also times when the Internet Service is so overwhelmed that it virtually grinds to a halt.

Knowing of more than one Site where your Online goals may be accomplished, AND being willing to "give it a try" at odd hours are my two hints for getting Internet business done.

Our cruise comes with the free wifi also, so imagine it will get used a lot. Since we have never had this particular benefit on any cruise before, can one access the internet from the cabin or just from the computer room? If so, am I correct that the signal would be stronger in the central location than in the rooms?

Our cruise comes with the free wifi also, so imagine it will get used a lot. Since we have never had this particular benefit on any cruise before, can one access the internet from the cabin or just from the computer room? If so, am I correct that the signal would be stronger in the central location than in the rooms?

The ship has wireless access points distributed all around... there is no central wireless "mothership." They place them to try and provide at least minimal coverage in all areas.

We have never had any problem using wireless devices in the cabin.

All the cabins on all of Oceania's ships are wired for Internet, these days.

carnival-cruise-WiFi.gif

The reception on the larger, newer ships tends to be better, but in all cases it is luck of the draw. Some cabins have near perfect reception, in others it is hit and miss.

Hi

On our July cruise... Riviera in the Med.. the speeds were remarkably good.

We did some amazing things online and never had a problem. At timer, it was as fast as a land connection.

It will depend on your geolocation, it seems.

I can't speak for the older ships, but I do sense that newer gear/protocols are in place on the Riviera and Marina... that have enhanced the performance.

I can say for sure that the North Sea is no good for speed nor TV reception. :) Pesky satellites! ;) Seriously, we always get the unlimited package and it works ok enough. Late night let's me skype VOICE (no video) home with decent quality.