Ceo misleads passengers after fire

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/08/articles/fraud/bait-switch-ceo-stein-kruses-promises-are-not-binding-on-hal/index.html

You may recall that the Westerdam caught fire on June 28, 2014 as it was sailing to Alaska. The automatic fire suppression did not extinguish the fire and the crew had to use hoses to extinguish the fire. The fire flared up again and the crew has to extinguish it a second time. The Coast Guard forced the cruise ship to turn around and return to Seattle. You can read about the incident here.

HAL CEO Stein Kruse came aboard the ship later that night and spoke to the passengers. He said that one reason he came aboard was "to get this completely straight."

He was very apologetic. He said that one port of the seven day "full Alaskan experience" would be lost. He promised that to make up for the fire and lost port, the passengers would receive a $250 credit to use on the ship. Plus, Kruse said that in order to make amends:

" . . . we will send you a note to give a 25% discount off a future Holland American Line cruise."

However, when a passenger later tried to a buy a cruise with the promised 25% discount, a HAL customer representative told the passenger that CEO Kruse had misspoke. The representative said that the 25% discount was good only for a cruise of a comparable price as the cruise in question on the Westerdam.

Of course, this is not what the cruise CEO said. Kruse was very deliberate, careful and precise with his words. "25% discount off a future Holland America Line cruise." There were no limitations, exclusions or caveats mentioned at all.

The customer representative wouldn't budge. She said that "our policy is that we don't protect verbal misquotes . . . that goes from all the way from our reservations department up to our CEO."

The guest representative also referred to a "speech," which Kruse allegedly read from, which according to the cruise representative "specifically states that the credit would be from the sailing of the Westerdam." But this is not what Kruse said.

In most circumstances, cruise passengers are at the mercy of the fine print and the legal mumbo-jumbo buried in the passenger ticket. But here a cruise CEO came aboard to "make amends" and to be "completely straight" with the passengers following a fire. The CEO made a promise, not a "verbal misquote."

There is a legal issue whether what CEO Kruse said is legally binding on this cruise line. I think it is. But some other lawyer can sue HAL and argue about that. But it's a real shame, from a public relations perspective, when the clear promises of a cruise executive are meaningless and can be easily disavowed by a low level reservations clerk.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/08/articles/fraud/bait-switch-ceo-stein-kruses-promises-are-not-binding-on-hal/index.html

You may recall that the Westerdam caught fire on June 28, 2014 as it was sailing to Alaska. The automatic fire suppression did not extinguish the fire and the crew had to use hoses to extinguish the fire. The fire flared up again and the crew has to extinguish it a second time. The Coast Guard forced the cruise ship to turn around and return to Seattle. You can read about the incident here.

HAL CEO Stein Kruse came aboard the ship later that night and spoke to the passengers. He said that one reason he came aboard was "to get this completely straight."

He was very apologetic. He said that one port of the seven day "full Alaskan experience" would be lost. He promised that to make up for the fire and lost port, the passengers would receive a $250 credit to use on the ship. Plus, Kruse said that in order to make amends:

" . . . we will send you a note to give a 25% discount off a future Holland American Line cruise."

However, when a passenger later tried to a buy a cruise with the promised 25% discount, a HAL customer representative told the passenger that CEO Kruse had misspoke. The representative said that the 25% discount was good only for a cruise of a comparable price as the cruise in question on the Westerdam.

Of course, this is not what the cruise CEO said. Kruse was very deliberate, careful and precise with his words. "25% discount off a future Holland America Line cruise." There were no limitations, exclusions or caveats mentioned at all.

The customer representative wouldn't budge. She said that "our policy is that we don't protect verbal misquotes . . . that goes from all the way from our reservations department up to our CEO."

The guest representative also referred to a "speech," which Kruse allegedly read from, which according to the cruise representative "specifically states that the credit would be from the sailing of the Westerdam." But this is not what Kruse said.

In most circumstances, cruise passengers are at the mercy of the fine print and the legal mumbo-jumbo buried in the passenger ticket. But here a cruise CEO came aboard to "make amends" and to be "completely straight" with the passengers following a fire. The CEO made a promise, not a "verbal misquote."

There is a legal issue whether what CEO Kruse said is legally binding on this cruise line. I think it is. But some other lawyer can sue HAL and argue about that. But it's a real shame, from a public relations perspective, when the clear promises of a cruise executive are meaningless and can be easily disavowed by a low level reservations clerk.

Please be aware that your source isn't really the most unbiased. Actually, he's quite biased against cruise lines in general.

: puts popcorn on stove :

I will say one thing: I agree with the customer representative here - I bet there was a bit of mispeak and the info the reps were given said specifically what she quoted. That's probably the only time you'll ever hear my side with a HAL phone rep. :)

I think there is much more to this and the source is not one of bias and the source's source clearly and obviously will have an agenda on this issue.

Edited by sppunk

While I'd be tickled to death with a 25% discount I can also understand why I couldn't go on a cruise that cost me $2,000 cruise, get the discount compensation, and then use the compensation to get 25% off a Grand World Cruise that costs $40,000.

NOTE: Great minds think alike.....I was typing my comment when Wakepatrol posted the same point. :D

Edited by Randyk47

I'd be more worried about Atty. Jim Walker filing an action against you. You just republished his copyrighted work.

I was just about to say the same thing! And the OP did not state that this was an exact Quote from Attny Jim Walkers page ..

Copyright © 2014, Jim Walker

Edited by serendipity1499

Great, just another chance for an attorney to start a class action suit, make millions for himself, and get those effected an additional $25 benefit.

I would have been happy with the $250 OBC, so I didn't have to spend additional money to gain the benefits.

Edited by sandthrush

I agree that 25% off a future cruise could amount to quite a bit of money BUT if you listen to the Stein Kruse speech, he never mentions a limit of any kind. He did say very clearly 25% of a future Holland America Lines cruise. I am not saying that is very logical but that is what he said. A CEO should know better and have any speech reviewed before delivery by a technical/legal editor to ensure the company cannot be put at risk. His "misquote" as the rep called it is causing embarrassment to his company.

I agree that 25% off a future cruise could amount to quite a bit of money BUT if you listen to the Stein Kruse speech, he never mentions a limit of any kind. He did say very clearly 25% of a future Holland America Lines cruise. I am not saying that is very logical but that is what he said. A CEO should know better and have any speech reviewed before delivery by a technical/legal editor to ensure the company cannot be put at risk. His "misquote" as the rep called it is causing embarrassment to his company.

Were you on that cruise? Is there somewhere we can actually "hear" exactly what was said to the passengers? (In other words, was his speech recorded?) I'm really curious because I never heard that Stein Kruise came aboard the ship when it went back to Seattle and wonder why, at the time, it wasn't discussed further on CC. Or did I just miss that thread?

Were you on that cruise? Is there somewhere we can actually "hear" exactly what was said to the passengers? (In other words, was his speech recorded?) I'm really curious because I never heard that Stein Kruise came aboard the ship when it went back to Seattle and wonder why, at the time, it wasn't discussed further on CC. Or did I just miss that thread?

I was not on the cruise but the speech was recorded. Just follow the links in the OP's original message.

In the recording he did say "a 25 percent discount off a Holland America cruise."

He didn't say, "Off Any Holland America cruise"

A small point, but that's his out.

Edited by HamOp

In the recording he did say "a 25 percent discount off a Holland America cruise."

He should have told the passengers they could bring unlimited amounts of wine on their next cruise. Not only would the passengers be doing cartwheels up the dock, but he'd fill every ship in the fleet.

I'm confused, but it doesn't take much. crb did the same type of post earlier and then deleted the thread. And now you have taken it up.

Very mysterious.

Promises should be kept but then again, they should be made with some realism.

Yes it was recorded! Go to Jim Walkers's page which the OP quoted & listen to it..

I agree with others, IMO lawyers would love to make a big deal out of this in order to start a class action suit & try to get lots of money/fame because of a silly omission made by HAL's CEO..

It's reasonable to assume that Stein Kruse never meant to give Psgrs.25% off of any cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm confused, but it doesn't take much. crb did the same type of post earlier and then deleted the thread. And now you have taken it up.

Very mysterious. Promises should be kept but then again, they should be made with some realism.

Jacqui - You said it all. Let's say I spent $6,000 for the Westerdam cruise. Now I want to take the World Cruise at $40,000. Should I get $10,000 off (25%)? Of course not. I should get $1,500 off (25% of the $6,000).

Common sense, just plain common sense.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Bingo. This distinction will shut down the frivolous suit the source is hoping to file. Thankfully!

Reminds me of the numerous times I had to go behind my boss and clean up the mess they'd made for me. The old "What the boss meant to say......." :rolleyes::D

Exactly... Someone will have to clean up because what he said was very clear.

Reminds me of the numerous times I had to go behind my boss and clean up the mess they'd made for me. The old "What the boss meant to say......." :rolleyes::D

Which administration at the White House did you work for?:D:D

I'd be more worried about Atty. Jim Walker filing an action against you. You just republished his copyrighted work.

Seems to me it is against CC rules to print quoted material here. Aren't we supposed to provide the link rather than copy the quote?

From CC guidelines:

"The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

The one exception to this would be Cruise Line press releases. You may post these word for word on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source."