Would you cancel a cruise because of a bad weather forecast?

BunnyLebowski

There is rain forecast for Bermuda every day this week.

DH and I are on the Summit to Bermuda leaving this Sunday, traveling with our two boys age 9 and 11. We visit Bermuda for the beaches. If there is rain forecast for all next week too, we are seriously considering canceling our trip. We have Celebrity's cancel for any reason insurance and would be fine with transfering the credit to a sailing this winter.

What would you do?

Are you absolutely certain that you have "cancel for any reason" insurance? That isn't the standard insurance that Celebrity sells, AFAIK.

If you can be certain of that, then it all comes down to how much you trust the weather forecasters, I suppose.

I'm just back from bermuda having sailed Celebrity last week. We were worried about Bertha and Bernie but we sailed around Bertha and had smooth sailing. Forecasts said we would have nasty weather pretty much the entire time, but in truth, it only rained hard a couple of times on day two in Bermuda and cleared up quickly. Pack ponchos and umbrellas and have a great time no matter what!! Bermuda has so much to offer...don't let the rain stop you!! Have a great cruise no matter what you decide! :)

I think weather forecasts can be very inaccurate and things can easily change, having said that living where I live the rain doesn't bother me anyway lol

Wouldn't the children be disapointed?

lol no I imagine the rain doesn't bother you!

The children will be more disappointed not to be able to go to the beach due to rain than to postpone the cruise. We would just take an alternate land vacation that week.

It is, as you note about the children. DH and I would be thrilled to spend a rainy week together on a floating resort, regardless of the weather. Just need to realistic about everyone having a good time if the kids are cranky from being cooped up inside for a week.

Are you absolutely certain that you have "cancel for any reason" insurance? That isn't the standard insurance that Celebrity sells, AFAIK.

Yes, Celebrity's "cruise care" insurance will refund 75% of a canceled for any reason cruise price in the form of a future cruise credit to be used within one year.

The 25% lost fare is not an issue for us in making this decision.

One of the things that I'm doing, to prepare for our upcoming cruise to is reading the Moon Guidebook for Bermuda. In addition to the stunning beaches and golf courses, I'm amazed at the the "indoors" activities that the island has to offer. Obviously, there are many bars, restaurants, and shops. But there are also scads of museums, forts, and historic sites to tour. There's even a world-class Aquarium on the island. Lots of stuff that older kids would find fascinating! :cool:

Weather? I have sailed during the middle of hurricane season before.

Would I cancel? Nope. If the Capt needs to change the itinerary? So

be it. When you sail to to the Caribbean or Bemuda during the summertime, you need to realize there might be a chance of bad

weather.

I agree with Claudia, I wouldn't cancel but I don't travel with kids

either.

DH and I are on the Summit to Bermuda leaving this Sunday, traveling with our two boys age 9 and 11. We visit Bermuda for the beaches. If there is rain forecast for all next week too, we are seriously considering canceling our trip. We have Celebrity's cancel for any reason insurance and would be fine with transfering the credit to a sailing this winter.

What would you do?

It will not rain all day maybe a shower. You will not melt. There are a lot of other things to do in Bermuda. Love the island. There is not way I would cancel.

We would not cancel...would get some ponchos and enjoy some indoor museums or non-beach activities..,.

But sometimes it rains long and hard...spent a week one yr during June...used our ponchos quite a bit...sun came out on our departure day...but we saw the aquarium, caverns, fort, ferry ride...etc

it rained one day on our Sept cruise there but not a complete washout...we were there in between 2 hurricanes so we lucked out.

if sunny weather is all you seek, then a rainy week away may not be fun for you...good luck!

What would you do?

What does this week have to do with next week? It is silly to cancel based on this weeks rain. This weeks grim forecast is unusual.

I cancelled our first scheduled cruise but it was for a Hurricane. My daughter was already nervous about going on a cruise. We lost our fare because we hadn't bought any insurance that would cover it.

I would cancel for imminent hurricane but not just for rain.

I concur with the others; showers in Bermuda is not a 24 hour washout, it's often very early or very late in the day, and it doesn't last very long when it does rain. As for cancelling due to the weather forecast, I wouldn't, not for Bermuda. I've seen where rain was predicted and it didn't, and sunny skies were promised and it rained, such is life.

Law Chick,

So what will happen if you book another cruise and it rains then too? What if it rains on your substitute land trip?

A little water won't hurt anyone who is prepared and that's exactly what you should do. Pack the ponchos and the umbrellas and get the most out of your cruise.

OP here. We are lucky that our family is spontaneous and comfortable with last minute adjustments to a plan if that's what makes the most sense. I wouldn't alter the current itinerary for a chance of showers one or two days, but rather if the forecast is for rain seven days in a row, it's more likely than not the area will not have good weather.

We have been to bermuda several times and have seen the caves, ate at the swizzle inn, done the island tours, ferries, etc and all that was great fun. But for us, DH and I are professionals who work a lot and have limited opportunities to get away as a family and wish to make the most of our limited time,and ideally that means at least one good beach day.

We are fortunate to live in a costal community south of boston, with beautiful beaches only a bike ride away, a private pool and great weather this time of year, including this week where Bermuda is getting all that rain. Not to mention the world class art museums, science museum, aquarium, dining, living history, architecture, shopping, hiking etc just 30 minutes from home. I find myself scratching my head and asking if next week were to be a repeat of this week weather-wise (bad there, perfect at home), does it make any sense to go?

We are looking forward to our cruise and the change of scenery and the fun of the ship, but I'm thinking we should be realistic and be prepared to pivot if need be if the weather looks like it clearly isn't going to cooperate as we hoped. We would still enjoy the ship of course, but realistically not quite as much due to crowded indoor venues if no one wants to be outside.

It would seem many will choose to cruise no matter what. I wonder how many of them would make the same choice given the variables I'm considering- disappointed cranky children, a viable (better?) alternative, and little financial penalty for switching things up.

Remember, all this is entirely speculative. A thought exercise if you will. But I'll be watching the forecasts...

Thanks to all who are helping to work through this. Am feeling #Blessed and that ultimately it may be a choice between 2 great alternatives- can't complain about that.

I havent cruised with young children, but when my boys were young, whenever we travelled in the UK, it rained, lots!

If we waited until it wasnt raining, we would never have gone on holiday.

We always had a fabulous time, when it was really so wet that we couldnt go outand have fun, we would have fun indoors.

Really they were happy to have our undivided attention.

To them, being *stuck * with us, was a huge plus.

We were staying in a hotel room, you will have the run of a fabulous ship.

I wouldnt cancel, but you know your family best, so the decision is yours to make.

We would not cancel but we do not travel with children either. I am thinking when our children were young and we vacationed and it rained we had a great time playing cards or board games, and watching movies. I know the ship will have added fun actitivies if the weather is bad. You would be able to be in the solarium as a family for a few hours a day to swim.

This is a decision only you and your family can make. I know it rained one whole day in Bermuda, we just put our ponchos on and rode the tram over to the dockyard.

Hope you have a great time what you decide to do.

Looking ahead at the forecasts never even entered into the agenda with my children.

But then we are used to rain and believe it was good they were too. They had to learn how not to be cranky if it was not as nice weather a skill I think they have transferred to lots of other situations in their adult lives. But most of all they learned that holidays were a time when we could be together all of us, that Daddy did not have to go to work each day, that Mummy did not have to go to work and also manage house work and that we could all have times together come rain or shine

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but we also come from a country where cancelling late on is not an option (we lose deposits from Day One) and insurance that covers cancelling because we have changed our mind is not available

OP here. We are lucky that our family is spontaneous and comfortable with last minute adjustments to a plan if that's what makes the most sense. I wouldn't alter the current itinerary for a chance of showers one or two days, but rather if the forecast is for rain seven days in a row, it's more likely than not the area will not have good weather.

We have been to bermuda several times and have seen the caves, ate at the swizzle inn, done the island tours, ferries, etc and all that was great fun. But for us, DH and I are professionals who work a lot and have limited opportunities to get away as a family and wish to make the most of our limited time,and ideally that means at least one good beach day.

We are fortunate to live in a costal community south of boston, with beautiful beaches only a bike ride away, a private pool and great weather this time of year, including this week where Bermuda is getting all that rain. Not to mention the world class art museums, science museum, aquarium, dining, living history, architecture, shopping, hiking etc just 30 minutes from home. I find myself scratching my head and asking if next week were to be a repeat of this week weather-wise (bad there, perfect at home), does it make any sense to go?

We are looking forward to our cruise and the change of scenery and the fun of the ship, but I'm thinking we should be realistic and be prepared to pivot if need be if the weather looks like it clearly isn't going to cooperate as we hoped. We would still enjoy the ship of course, but realistically not quite as much due to crowded indoor venues if no one wants to be outside.

It would seem many will choose to cruise no matter what. I wonder how many of them would make the same choice given the variables I'm considering- disappointed cranky children, a viable (better?) alternative, and little financial penalty for switching things up.

Remember, all this is entirely speculative. A thought exercise if you will. But I'll be watching the forecasts...

Thanks to all who are helping to work through this. Am feeling #Blessed and that ultimately it may be a choice between 2 great alternatives- can't complain about that.

Hi, we are on the same cruise as you. We wouldn't cancel based on the forecast (and we are traveling with children too). There is still plenty to do on the ship, and it won't be raining all the time in Bermuda, so I'm sure we'll be able to enjoy the beaches, etc too. Actually, if it is overcast and there are a few showers, it might be a welcome break from the hot sun.

Edited to add: I just checked the 10 day forecast, and next Wednesday and Thursday have full sun (chance of rain less than 10%)

Edited by DonnaK