El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Hi Cheryle - I think a lot would depend on where your cruise goes. If it has a lot of port stops in the north it will be colder. I have been to Japan in mid March/April for cherry blossom season and it was lovely. Certainly better than hot summer. Have also been in Dec/Jan for new years, November, several times in July/august/september. Japan is wonderful any time of year, just be prepared with layers.

For a first timer to Japan I can't emphasis enough how valuable the goodwill guide volunteer service can be. Ive made reference to them a few times but will repost the link if you havent seen my post about it.

No trip to Japan is complete without going to Hiroshima and Kyoto/Nara. Tokyo I am happy to skip as I am not a city person but usually include it on my trips as I am generally taking first timer to Japan when I go.

Happy to answer any questions. Love Japan, love the people love the whole attitude and respect for people and property. It can be done very reasonably. I bank on $1000 au a week for Japan travel.

JR passes very worthwhile, we usually do a land trip in conjunction with cruise.

Thank you so much for your information it is greatly appreciated. The two cruises we are looking at are Singapore to Yokohama on 2/2 and then 14/2 again from Yokohama both on Diamond. We have been to most of the Ports on the first cruise, so thought the second would give us a chance to either double up on Ports if we like something or see a new port. As these cruises go to Osaka twice, I think we can do Kyoto from Osaka on the second cruise. Travelling in Winter doesn't usually bother us. We went to Europe a few years ago in February and we're surprised how fine we were. I know it will be cold. We were going to skip (at this stage) Tokyo as I sometimes think we try to do too much and then miss out on a lot, if you know what I mean.

The cruise you booked sounds great as we also don't mind the heat, it is just unfortunate that we can't do this year, so would have to leave it until later next year. If it is only the cold we need to worry about, it should be ok.

Appreciate you knowledge and assistance. Cheryle

Sibbu

Did you manage to find it?

Friends booked this morning, so still available.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, checked the princess site and tried Wagga Wagga agency and couldn't find the deal online.

My detective skills are so bad I'm ashamed to be on the thread!

Dont know how much more I can help you if you cant get my drift

there are a few agents with it at the same price. Just have to be really really quick.

Ive seen it on 3 sites earlier this morning. Waste of time checking princess site.

I love cruising so much and there are some wonderful cruise offers out there;p;p

Edited by Tara Jane

Cheryle - if you have been to europe in winter, you will be fine in Japan. Bonus is that it wont be as busy at that time of year, the Aussie invasion for the snow fields would have all gone home to go back to school. Ill have a look at the itinerary.

Kyoto is easily done from Osaka, have done it several times, but if you are only going for the one port stop, get a guide who can meet you at the kyoto station and spend the $ for taxis from a to b. You will save a lot of time in a taxi, roads arent too bad its just the bus stops frequently. Other option is train which is fast, but again you need a goodwill guide its so much easier travelling with a local, just finding which exit from the kyoto station can be confusing. The stations are HUGE in Japan and I see you come from country NSW so will already be in for a culture shock.

Cheryle - if you have been to europe in winter, you will be fine in Japan. Bonus is that it wont be as busy at that time of year, the Aussie invasion for the snow fields would have all gone home to go back to school. Ill have a look at the itinerary.

Kyoto is easily done from Osaka, have done it several times, but if you are only going for the one port stop, get a guide who can meet you at the kyoto station and spend the $ for taxis from a to b. You will save a lot of time in a taxi, roads arent too bad its just the bus stops frequently. Other option is train which is fast, but again you need a goodwill guide its so much easier travelling with a local, just finding which exit from the kyoto station can be confusing. The stations are HUGE in Japan and I see you come from country NSW so will already be in for a culture shock.

Thanks Tara Jane,

We are in Osaka twice and the second time, thought of Kyoto. Will look at the easiest option, not worried too much about the cheapest (well, I worry, but don't want to spend a lot of the time travelling.) will certainly look at the goodwill guides.

Just currently trying to research getting to Hiroshima as I originally didn't think we could do it!

I was actually terrified to do Europe in Winter, but we did manage and the crowds were a lot less. Thanks Cheryle

PS I have found Wayne's cruise easily ! Can't do much more Tara Jane.🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you are prepared to spend the money you can go to Osaka on 12 February as you are in Osaka for 12 hours. you will need to grab a few taxis but I believe it is a must see. I would sacrifice Kyoto for Hiroshima if I had to.

Route2

Take time: 103 Minutes Transfer: 1 Times Distance: 345.4 km

Total:¥ 10,240

departs osaka 6.58 am arrives Hiroshima 8,37 am.Tickeicon_line.gifSHINKANSEN NOZOMI 95

there is an earlier train but you might be stressed trying to get it if there is a delay in docking. All info on hyperdia.com This ticket is about 120 aud each way. If you can get there earlier then get the earlier train, no need to book.

16 Feb you could go to Kyoto/Nara.

I would suggest you look into the JR West Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass . its $163 for a 5 day pass and you can use it for kyoto/nara as well as Hiroshima. The shinkansen that you can use it on are slightly slower but very marginally. Cheaper than return Osaka to Hiroshima.

Route1

Edited by Tara Jane

If you are prepared to spend the money you can go to Osaka on 12 February as you are in Osaka for 12 hours. you will need to grab a few taxis but I believe it is a must see. I would sacrifice Kyoto for Hiroshima if I had to.

Route2

Take time: 103 Minutes Transfer: 1 Times Distance: 345.4 km

Total:¥ 10,240

departs osaka 6.58 am arrives Hiroshima 8,37 am.

Ticke

icon_line.gifSHINKANSEN NOZOMI 95

there is an earlier train but you might be stressed trying to get it if there is a delay in docking. All info on hyperdia.com This ticket is about 120 aud each way. If you can get there earlier then get the earlier train, no need to book.

Route1

Thanks Tara Jane, we will certainly do that. Once at Hiroshima do we need to do a to do a tour or just book the local guide? Thanks Cheryle

I would arrange a goodwill guide to meet you at the station, an jump in a taxi to the peace park direct and museum. The JR pass includes the hop on hop off bus around Hiroshima to give you a more overall view of the city but that would be if time left over. We find a brief tour of the museum - too emotional to read everything - and a leisurely peace park visit takes half a day. The other half could be Miyajima but I think you would be pushing it to try and include Miyajima. Enjoy the peace park, visit the museum, jump on the hop on hop off bus and it will take you back to the station. will be very early start for you but is doable. I always plan to be back on board 90 minutes before sail away to allow for hold ups.

Worst case senario if you miss the ship, use the JR pass to get to the next port Shimizu.;p

I would arrange a goodwill guide to meet you at the station, an jump in a taxi to the peace park direct and museum. The JR pass includes the hop on hop off bus around Hiroshima to give you a more overall view of the city but that would be if time left over. We find a brief tour of the museum - too emotional to read everything - and a leisurely peace park visit takes half a day. The other half could be Miyajima but I think you would be pushing it to try and include Miyajima. Enjoy the peace park, visit the museum, jump on the hofp on hop off bus and it will take you back to the station. will be very early start for you but is doable. I always plan to be back on board 90 minutes before sail away to allow for hold ups.

Worst case senario if you miss the ship, use the JR pass to get to the next port Shimizu.;p

Thanks again. I just said to my husband if we don't make it back, we can always get to the next port.

Sorry to hijack this thread but found your earlier comments interesting.

Wish we could do the cruise you have booked. Have been looking at that site, but at the moment Princess is looking after us!

Great minds think alike. Is this your first time in Japan? Don't leave it too late to book a goodwill guide. Many apply and not everyone gets one.

You might find Princess puts on a tour to Hiroshima. They did a tour to Kyoto from one of our port stops I cant remember which port but it was quite a distance, lots of folk booked it as it was their only chance to see Kyoto but I recall everyone I spoke to being very disappointed as they had such a short time there. They didnt get to see all that was on the itinerary. The train is by far the quickest way to travel in Japan. Other than natural disaster they are always on time and there is always someone prepared to help you. Signs are in English and Japanese at the station andyou just need to follow the shinkansen signs to find the platforms.

Great minds think alike. Is this your first time in Japan? Don't leave it too late to book a goodwill guide. Many apply and not everyone gets one.

You might find Princess puts on a tour to Hiroshima. They did a tour to Kyoto from one of our port stops I cant remember which port but it was quite a distance, lots of folk booked it as it was their only chance to see Kyoto but I recall everyone I spoke to being very disappointed as they had such a short time there. They didnt get to see all that was on the itinerary. The train is by far the quickest way to travel in Japan. Other than natural disaster they are always on time and there is always someone prepared to help you. Signs are in English and Japanese at the station andyou just need to follow the shinkansen signs to find the platforms.

Yes, first time to Japan, but don't expect to see everything. Have done that in the past and really saw not a great deal trying to do everything. Thanks again and sorry all for hijacking this thread.

Just returned from Japan and requested Goodwill Guides at each port/ place. Out of 6 requests I got 2 guides so definitely have a backup plan.

Hi Cheryle - I think a lot would depend on where your cruise goes. If it has a lot of port stops in the north it will be colder. I have been to Japan in mid March/April for cherry blossom season and it was lovely. Certainly better than hot summer. Have also been in Dec/Jan for new years, November, several times in July/august/september. Japan is wonderful any time of year, just be prepared with layers.

For a first timer to Japan I can't emphasis enough how valuable the goodwill guide volunteer service can be. Ive made reference to them a few times but will repost the link if you havent seen my post about it.

No trip to Japan is complete without going to Hiroshima and Kyoto/Nara. Tokyo I am happy to skip as I am not a city person but usually include it on my trips as I am generally taking first timer to Japan when I go.

Happy to answer any questions. Love Japan, love the people love the whole attitude and respect for people and property. It can be done very reasonably. I bank on $1000 au a week for Japan travel.

JR passes very worthwhile, we usually do a land trip in conjunction with cruise.

Totally agree. Japan is my favourite country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree. Japan is my favourite country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey you guys get a room , all this notification buzzing and no cheap cruises every time i look in eager anticipation is leaving me [emoji24]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I.m giving you a cheap cruise

19 nights diamond princess around Japan

1189 pp inside

1699 pp balcony

How much el cheapo do you want???????;p;p;p;p;p

I agree, my two in February aren't too bad either. Singapore to Yokohama $1899 balcony plus OBC 12 nights second cruise slightly dearer! Thank you for your help Tara Jane 👋👋👋

Rhapsody TA 14 night from Barcelona to Tampa Nov19 Canary Islands

OV 736.06 insides $616.06/pp

Good deal... though those are US prices, plus require the usual extras added.

AU prices are about $1125 inside, and $1302 oceanview.

This is not an el cheapo post .... as yet. I was looking up the prices for the Celebrity Solstice cruise from Honolulu to Sydney on 1 October 2018.

The prices are anything but cheap at this stage, with lowest grade of unobstructed balcony sitting on $5501.

but ... there seems to be a lot of unsold balcony cabins - 63 in fact. I think this might be ripe for a major price drop in a while. I remember the Solstice got down to $130 AU per day for a balcony cabin either last year or the year before.

so keep a watch folks.

Hi blue elephant do you still have my email address? if so could you please email me. I can't find yours.

Edit - I think I have managed to send you a friend request, hope it went through ok. I'm not good on the computer as you know.