kettle

foxfilbert

hi every one, we will be travelling on a 20 day cruise on the royal I have noticed there are no coffee making facilities in the state rooms can any one tell me if we can take our own kettle to boil the water.thanks.
No. They are a fire hazard and the biggest fear on a ship is fire. Just call room service and have coffee, tea or hot water delivered to your cabin.

This is a big Princess myth that needs debunking. No specific list of prohibited electrical items exists.

From the Passage Contract, Section 13--the full extent of the rule:

You may not take on board firearms, controlled or prohibited substances, inflammable or hazardous items, any other items prohibited by applicable law, or any other item Carrier deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental to the safety or comfort of any person.

A kettle that is thermostatically controlled with auto shut-off is not considered hazardous by Princess. If they call you to the "naughty room" after finding it in your suitcase you need only ask them to inspect it for safe operation and they should then return it to you.

Edited by fishywood

Disregard fishywood'$ comments... your kettle will be confiscated...

But fishywood is right about what the Passage Contract says. And the Cruise Answer Book also does not mention the subject.

Edited by caribill

If kettles with an automatic 'shut-off' are a fire hazard, how come all P&O and Fred Olsen ships have one, as standard, in every cabin and RCI and Princess have them in staterooms of ships that 'home port' (ugh... Hate that phrase) in the UK? You cannot make a decent cup of tea with the luke warm water that is delivered by room service!

This is a big Princess myth that needs debunking. No specific list of prohibited electrical items exists.

From the Passage Contract, Section 13--the full extent of the rule:

A kettle that is thermostatically controlled with auto shut-off is not considered hazardous by Princess. If they call you to the "naughty room" after finding it in your suitcase you need only ask them to inspect it for safe operation and they should then return it to you.

It's been that way for many years.....I'm not certain if it's changed recently or not. I was told by a crew member that they are no longer allowed to have them in their rooms but that might be a different subject altogether.

You cannot make a decent cup of tea with the luke warm water that is delivered by room service!

You're right about that. My wife says that the water they bring to the room has cooled off by the time it gets there. Even the hot water they have at the buffet is hotter.

Is this a new rule? My last cruise was 2011 and I didn't have a problem with my little 2 cup travel kettle.

The problem with the rules are that Princess isn't consistent on any of them whether it's the wine policy, turning traditional diners away at anytime dining, allowing steamers, coffee makers or the dress code. From my experience with Princess any answer given here is correct.

If kettles with an automatic 'shut-off' are a fire hazard, how come all P&O and Fred Olsen ships have one, as standard, in every cabin and RCI and Princess have them in staterooms of ships that 'home port' (ugh... Hate that phrase) in the UK? You cannot make a decent cup of tea with the luke warm water that is delivered by room service!

Exactly!

Thanks for all the replies even more confused than when we started common sense says a kettle with an automatic thermostat switch is no more a fire hazard than camera and phone chargers left on and am sure they would have coffee making facilities in the suites, a kettle is only $7.50 from k.mart so if confiscated not such a big deal and worth the risk.

Being P&O folks before becoming Princess regulars we became used to the cabin tea making facilities. When we started with Princess we missed them. In the 80's we started taking a "thermostatically controlled" pot. 60 cruises later, we are still taking the pot (or one like it) and have only been questioned twice. On both occasions, a "supervisor" was called and our pot was declared OK and within regulations. The key, as stated elsewhere, is the thermostatically controlled part.

Not a problem unless I forget to bring the coffee ;) Starbucks Via sure beats the heck out of the "French press" I had been bringing.

Thanks for all the replies even more confused than when we started common sense says a kettle with an automatic thermostat switch is no more a fire hazard than camera and phone chargers left on and am sure they would have coffee making facilities in the suites, a kettle is only $7.50 from k.mart so if confiscated not such a big deal and worth the risk.

Your right, it should be a no brainer when carrying on any electrical appliance.

Unfortunatley not everyone uses common sense when it comes to these types of situations.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

One cruise line comes to mind when sailing in a suite, NCL. They have great coffee machines in their suites. I assume boiling water could be had from that... maybe?

Just goes to show how few people actually listen to the briefings at muster drill. If they did listen then they would know that thermostatically controlled water heaters with auto shut off are allowed.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

Disregard fishywood'$ comments... your kettle will be confiscated...

16 cruises with Princess, auto shut off kettle carried in my carryon, and never a single question. In fact the last muster station the crew stated "electrical devises with auto shut off were the only ones allowed in cabins"

16 cruises with Princess, auto shut off kettle carried in my carryon, and never a single question. In fact the last muster station the crew stated "electrical devises with auto shut off were the only ones allowed in cabins"

That just shows that they never check any of the coffee pots. It very well could have been one without an auto shutoff.

Ok, how about this... you bring on a kettle and during the cruise there is a short, which causes a fire... Are you willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages? This scenario isn't as far fetched as you might think...

They allow hair straighteners on and I have seen them do far more damage to carpets and handbags at home. I have taken a thermostatic travel kettle on-board and not had a problem, they have never had a short at home and I use a full size one every day.