Someone pinch me!

There are 4 of us. DS & I are taking parents on a dream cruise! I'm looking for all the must sees. This will be their one shot to see the Med & I want to make sure they see all the hot spots! They are pushing 80 & travel is getting tougher for them. We want this to be a dream come true for them!

There are 4 of us. DS & I are taking parents on a dream cruise! I'm looking for all the must sees. This will be their one shot to see the Med & I want to make sure they see all the hot spots! They are pushing 80 & travel is getting tougher for them. We want this to be a dream come true for them!

What are your ports?

how exciting!

Check out the Ports of Call threads for Europe for ideas, but we did a Western Med to and from Rome last month. With parents pushing 80, I would definitely recommend you consider a private driver, rather than the big ship bus tours. It's worth the extra money to get in and out of an air conditioned car and be brought right to the sites. We're in our 40s with teenagers and we were hot and tired... I would imagine your parents would be even more so! Several companies are frequently recommended in the Italy threads and also check Tripadvisor under "things to do" for the port cities you are visiting.

Highlights for us:

Rome - we stayed 3 days after the cruise, saw all the sites, it's HOT in the summer and our favorite times were evenings hanging around the piazzas and people watching. But if it's just a port stop for you that wouldn't work... the city of Rome is far from the port in Civitavecchia so it's a very long day just seeing the big highlights such as the Colosseum and Vatican.

Livorno - we did Pisa and Lucca. Climbed the tower (bucket list) but enjoyed Lucca, a small artsy tuscan town, the most. We caught a flash mob of music school students singing a Puccini aria. (Puccini was born in Lucca) Probably the most amazing moment of the entire trip.

Cannes - we walked the waterfront boulevard, "La Croisette", and had a nice meal at a beach restaurant, and people watched.

Barcelona - We took a cab around the city and walked Las Ramblas. Beautiful tree lined street with great shopping and outdoor restaurants, and people watching (can you sense a theme here?)

Naples - we did a full day private tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. Wonderful day. Oh and there was some people watching ;)

We also docked in Palma Mallorca but stayed on the ship and made it basically a sea day because we were tired. Beaches are supposed to be amazing though. Next time!

Good luck and have fun planning!

Edited by kmurph22

Just booked the Allure 6/21 West Med! Got the RLS on BOGO!!!! So excited!! This will be my first Med cruise. Any must sees????? Please share!

Lots of countries round the Med. A clue or two would be good, like an itinerary!!

We will spend 3 days in Barcelona before boarding. Our ports of call are Mallorca, Provence, Florence/Pisa, Rome & Naples. We return to Barcelona to fly home. I appreciate all your help! The private drivers sounds like a great option with my parents at their ages. If the bus tours are hot & tiresome I need to consider that before booking!

We did the Med on the Liberty last Fall. Very much enjoyed the bus tours. While they are more expensive than doing it yourself, we found the guides were excellent and every bus was new and comfortable. No worries about missing the ship, the tours did not feel crowded or rushed. I would think it is very doable thing for your parents.

Kathy

We will spend 3 days in Barcelona before boarding. Our ports of call are Mallorca, Provence, Florence/Pisa, Rome & Naples. We return to Barcelona to fly home. I appreciate all your help! The private drivers sounds like a great option with my parents at their ages. If the bus tours are hot & tiresome I need to consider that before booking!

I've discovered the ports of call boards are really helpful here. However in my opinion:

Barcelona - there's lots to see and the HOHO bus routes are a great way to do that. Sagradia Familia Cathedral is the famous site. If you are there for 3 days (so nights too) check if the dancing fountains are open. Also I enjoyed the cable cars for great views of the city, but I did a lot of walking that day, so not sure if it's easy to get to by bus.

Mallorca - love it in Palma, it's a long walk or catch the bus from the port to the main centre and explore the Cathedral, palace and shops. The train ride to Soller is also great if you want to tour.

Not sure where you are near in Provence, but the South of France ports I have been too are usually really nice to wander round for a relaxing day (which the next three days aren't!!)

Florence/Pisa - both well worth a visit - first time I went they ran a full day trip covering both. I assume you dock in Livorno, which is okay but not my favourite port to just wander round.

Rome - been twice on ship's tours, once to the Colliseum & Forum, once to the Vatican - got to be seen and worth the long day trip.

Naples - Pompeii is amazing, or try Herculaneum for a shorter visit to a smaller, but still impressive, site.

Edited by GaryT-UK

We loved Naples and would love to cruise Italy again, best pizza in the world was at

. Brandi on Salita S.Anna di Palazzo, 1- 2 (angolo via Chiaia)Tel +39081416928, website here.

Close to the elegant Chiaia neighbourhood and to Piazza Plebiscito, this is where the mythical “pizza margherita” was invented. Although pizzas have apparently been around in one form or another since Ancient Roman times, Raffaele Esposito is credited with creating the Margherita. He worked at this very pizzeria (established in 1780) and in 1889 he was asked to bake 3 different kinds of pizza for the royal visit of King Umberto I and Queen Margherita of Savoy. The Queen’s favorite was a pizza that had the colors of the Italian flag: basil leaves for green, mozzarella for white, and tomatoes for red. Named Pizza Margherita in her honor, this is how this pizza is still universally known . Brandi is one of the more elegant and atmopsheric pizzerias and offer many traditional Napoletano side dishes as well. While Italians tend to drink beer with pizza, they offer some nice Falanghina white wines and Aglianico based reds here as well.

also loved Pompeii, Pizza place is close to Gallaria and dock

Kathy-

Glad to hear you had a good experience with the bus tours! I will look in to them for sure!

Gary-

Thank you for all the tips!!! I look forward to seeing everything & will check out the ports of call boards!

Doc2725-

I used my TA. I think the prices are still good for another week??? Don't hold me to that!;)

Kathy-

Glad to hear you had a good experience with the bus tours! I will look in to them for sure!

Gary-

Thank you for all the tips!!! I look forward to seeing everything & will check out the ports of call boards!

Doc2725-

I used my TA. I think the prices are still good for another week??? Don't hold me to that!;)

Ahh awesome, which TA!?!

We are big fans of the private tours as well. Not only do you get a personalized experience, it gave us flexibility when traveling with mom to change our plans if she needed a break or wanted to see something different.

We sailed on Liberty of the Seas in 2012 on a similar itinerary and did private tours for four of the five ports. We absolutely loved our experiences with Simply Amalfi and plan to use them again next year when we sail on Allure in September. The Amalfi coast is gorgeous and worth a repeat visit. They also run Simply Firenze out of La Spezia which we used to see Pisa and Cinque Terre.

Good luck with your planning and have a great vacation.

Here is the pinch you requested.

to-pinch-to-flick-t13500.jpg

Have you read MADQ's review of her Med cruise? Different ship, but lots of info about the ports. CC is not letting me access my subscribed threads lately, so I can't link it for you. . Also, to the person who sent me a friend request, I can't access that either, but, hello, friend. :)

Here is the pinch you requested.

to-pinch-to-flick-t13500.jpg

Have you read MADQ's review of her Med cruise? Different ship, but lots of info about the ports. CC is not letting me access my subscribed threads lately, so I can't link it for you. . Also, to the person who sent me a friend request, I can't access that either, but, hello, friend. :)

Thanks for trying the link & OUCH (for the pinch);) I'll go check out the review now!

I would look at romeinlimo for all your italy ports. They are one of the best. They arrive in nice Mercedes minivans; already stocked with water; they will pull up right in front of tower in Pisa and let you out. If you need to stop at atm machine; or bathroom break; they know where everything is. I used them in both Pisa/Florence and Rome

I would look at romeinlimo for all your italy ports. They are one of the best. They arrive in nice Mercedes minivans; already stocked with water; they will pull up right in front of tower in Pisa and let you out. If you need to stop at atm machine; or bathroom break; they know where everything is. I used them in both Pisa/Florence and Rome

Thank you! I will research them!

Skip Pisa and spend the day in Florence. Amazing city, which, of course, has the David. Pisa has the famous tourist trap. We were at this port twice and learned our lesson after the first time. Toughest choices are really in Naples. Capri or Amalfi Coast & Pompeii. Love the Med.

If you haven't already, please buy travel insurance ASAP.

Many things could keep you and/or your parents from traveling or you could need healthcare on the trip.

Sorry to be a downer, but I had to use it to recoup my parents' cruise and airfare earlier this year when they couldn't travel with us. I'm waiting on payment pending receipt of doctor records.....

If you haven't already, please buy travel insurance ASAP.

Many things could keep you and/or your parents from traveling or you could need healthcare on the trip.

Sorry to be a downer, but I had to use it to recoup my parents' cruise and airfare earlier this year when they couldn't travel with us. I'm waiting on payment pending receipt of doctor records.....

We ALWAYS get insurance. Learned that one the hard way! You only have to loose money one time to learn that lesson!!:o