Adult only pool-Emerald.

janecambridge

Just stepped off Emerald.

We noticed that the adult only pool at the back of the ship under The Sanctuary was not supervised.I understand that there is no life guard but no one seemed bothered that children were in the pool and running around the edge of the pool.We did report it to the young man in The Sanctuary,who told us to phone the purser.We did and he then rang the young man back to tell him to remove the children.He did, but after that no one seemed to be around. We did notice twice, that there were also buckets of beers left lying around and piles of wet towels.Who is responsible for this?

As the pool had a resistance swim machine on it,it was a bit of a worry.

The Sanctuary is at the front of the ship. The pool nearby is supposed to be adults only, as is the pool at the back of the ship. When we've seen children in these pools, we have pointed out the signs to them. I've never had to get a staff member involved.

We noticed that the adult only pool at the back of the ship under The Sanctuary was not supervised.I understand that there is no life guard but no one seemed bothered that children were in the pool and running around the edge of the pool.We did report it to the young man in The Sanctuary,who told us to phone the purser.We did and he then rang the young man back to tell him to remove the children.He did, but after that no one seemed to be around. We did notice twice, that there were also buckets of beers left lying around and piles of wet towels.Who is responsible for this?

There is a deck supervisor and he is in charge of all the issues around the pools etc.

This is unacceptable! Unfortunatley the squeaky wheel gets the grease. :(

Why is anyone surprised at this? Princess does not have the fortitude to confront anyone no matter how blatant the action. If they did there wouldn't be so many complaints about chair hogs, dress code etc.

If it is an adults only area, that is what is should be, and Princess should address these things without having to have passenger intervention.

Where is the deck supervisor? He/She should be constantly aware of what is going on in their area. Just as there should be consistency among the Maitre d's and head waiters as to what is acceptable in the MDR.

Why is anyone surprised at this? Princess does not have the fortitude to confront anyone no matter how blatant the action. If they did there wouldn't be so many complaints about chair hogs, dress code etc.

If it is an adults only area, that is what is should be, and Princess should address these things without having to have passenger intervention.

Where is the deck supervisor? He/She should be constantly aware of what is going on in their area. Just as there should be consistency among the Maitre d's and head waiters as to what is acceptable in the MDR.

I agree. :(

No, I'm not surprised and you're absolutely right. Princess decided that the "customer is always right" is the way they want to handle things. There's an element of fear that a passenger could complain and cost them their jobs. Other lines enforce policies and other than a few jerks, it works well as people understand that there are boundaries and rules. Kind of like letting a 2YO dictate the household. Who's the adult and who's the child?

On the other hand, it seems to me that there are far more people who feel entitled to do what they want when they want and throw a tantrum if they don't get their way or blame someone else who objects to their behavior. :(

Edited by Pam in CA

No, I'm not surprised and you're absolutely right. Princess decided that the "customer is always right" is the way they want to handle things.

In this case the OP is the customer and was not treated as always being right.

We also just got off the Emerald Princess last week. After reading everything on this board about the Adult ONLY pool areas I was looking forward to the pool and hot tubs by the Spa and Fitness area. After I got in, I started to read the "RULES" on the wall. It clearly states that children can enter with adult supervision. After I finished reading the "RULES" sure enough several young children traipsed down from above with and adult and started playing in the pool and hot tub. SO MUCH FOR ADULTS ONLY.

We also just got off the Emerald Princess last week. After reading everything on this board about the Adult ONLY pool areas I was looking forward to the pool and hot tubs by the Spa and Fitness area. After I got in, I started to read the "RULES" on the wall. It clearly states that children can enter with adult supervision. After I finished reading the "RULES" sure enough several young children traipsed down from above with and adult and started playing in the pool and hot tub. SO MUCH FOR ADULTS ONLY.

In the aft pool/forward pool that rule does not apply.

Its adults only.

We never use the hot tubs for that very reason you described.

In the aft pool/forward pool that rule does not apply.

Its adults only.

We never use the hot tubs for that very reason you described.

I'm a rule follower, and if I had children and wanted them to use the pool with me I sure as H*** would push my RIGHT to lets my children make all sort of ruckus if the POSTED rules stated such. No place did it say it did not apply to these pools. Fortunately, I don't have any children :).

Edited by born2cruize

I'm a rule follower, and if I had children and wanted them to use the pool with me I sure as H*** would push my RIGHT to lets my children make all sort of ruckus if the POSTED rules stated such. No place did it say it did not apply to these pools. Fortunately, I don't have any children :).

Huh?

You lost me on that one.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Problem with reprimanding kids yourself is that you're trapped on this floating hotel and don't want to make enemies you'll then be seeing for the next week or two. Nobody wants to get the stink eye from parents who are sure their little angels can do no wrong. I have seen a group of kids repeatedly jumping into a pool being stopped by a staffer, but it took a while. And you can bet that if one of those kids had been injured, Princess would have been slapped with a lawsuit.

I suppose it depends on whose ox is being gored. I would hope that none of those posters who cheer the dress code not being enforced or who boast about smuggling booze onboard would complain about kids in the adult pool.

For the OP-jane cambridge-were you the only other passenger at the pool during the time the kids were in the pool?

I ask this,because if there were other like-minded passengers there at the time,several complaints from various passengers might have gotten satisfactory attention from the staff.

We have been on at least five cruises where there was a Sanctuary area with an Adult Only pool.We have never seen children in or near those pools. Have never seen a sign about children needing to be accompanied by an adult.

Is this something new?

We have enjoyed that area many times as a quiet retreat-as it should be!

It seems to me that the Princess customers who.are respectful of the "rules" or guidelines for behavior and dress should be speaking up to let Princess know that

we also need to be respected in the idea of the customer is always right.

Catering to those with the loudest voice or the strongest push may very well erode the Princess cruise experience that many loyal passengers have come to expect.

Huh?

You lost me on that one.

I'm saying if the posted rule states children with adult supervision is allowed no one is going to tell me my children (again if I had children) can't use the pool and hot tubs. To me a sign posted trumps a piece of paper. I wanted to be in an adult only area but after reading the POSTED RULES I had to keep my mouth shut. I know I wasn't going to get any support from the staff in the area.

For the OP-jane cambridge-were you the only other passenger at the pool during the time the kids were in the pool?

I ask this,because if there were other like-minded passengers there at the time,several complaints from various passengers might have gotten satisfactory attention from the staff.

We have been on at least five cruises where there was a Sanctuary area with an Adult Only pool.We have never seen children in or near those pools. Have never seen a sign about children needing to be accompanied by an adult.

Is this something new?

It seems to me that the Princess customers who.are respectful of the "rules" or guidelines for behavior and dress should be speaking up to let Princess know that

Catering to those with the loudest voice or the strongest push may very well erode the Princess cruise experience that many loyal passengers have come to expect.

This was the Emerald Princess, deck 16, because of my disability I entered from the Spa area. Majority of the other bathers came DOWN from deck 17, the Sanctuary. The sign is posted on the wall next to the 2 hot tubs. If I had children I would demand that the rules as posted be followed and therefore the adult and children that entered the pool and hot tub be allowed to use them. If this is truly an ADULT ONLY area it should state so even if the Patter on the first day says its adult only area. They're sending mix messages which only leads to unnecessary confrontations eventually.

The main point was that this pool has a swim simulator.Very strong when on.

All pools are dangerous to unsupervised children but more so with this one.It has a very strong current.

Jacuzzi pools should not be ever used by children if there is a high water temperature.It raises the child's temperature suddenly and a child's brain can't cope with this,so as seen with sudden rapid temperatures due to infection,the child will convulse in order to help reduce their temperature.

I saw this sign that said adults only.It is there.

I was not referring to a pool that has child supervision,but a pool that is adult only for safety reasons.

Often there were no other adults in the pool.

Is this something new?

The sign is for the hot tubs.

I'm saying if the posted rule states children with adult supervision is allowed no one is going to tell me my children (again if I had children) can't use the pool and hot tubs. To me a sign posted trumps a piece of paper. I wanted to be in an adult only area but after reading the POSTED RULES I had to keep my mouth shut. I know I wasn't going to get any support from the staff in the area.

This was the Emerald Princess, deck 16, because of my disability I entered from the Spa area. Majority of the other bathers came DOWN from deck 17, the Sanctuary. The sign is posted on the wall next to the 2 hot tubs. If I had children I would demand that the rules as posted be followed and therefore the adult and children that entered the pool and hot tub be allowed to use them. If this is truly an ADULT ONLY area it should state so even if the Patter on the first day says its adult only area. They're sending mix messages which only leads to unnecessary confrontations eventually.

Gotcha, but I believe the sign is for the hot tubs only.

I don't really use the pools but if I was in the adult only pool I would certainly be "the guy" who pointed out the sign and told the children to leave the pool. I raised 3 kids of my own, had an "extra" kid all through his teens, and my wife ran an in-home daycare for 20 years. I actually worked full time with her for 4.5 of those years.

There is NO reason for children to be out of control or to be allowed to break the rules. Period. Children can be taught to act like human beings and, if you teach them how to behave properly at an early age, it can last throughout a lifetime.

I know people who have children who "ran the place" and absolutely everybody else I know despised those children. They were horrible kids and guess what kind of adults they grew into? People liked my children. We were often complimented by people we knew as well as by school staff and staff in restaurants. Kindergarten teachers absolutely loved having kids who had been with my wife because they already knew how to behave like nice people. It isn't hard to teach children to behave properly in public or in private. Children have a great capacity for learning but they need guidance. It really helps if you set an example for them to follow...

I wouldn't be at all worried about getting "the stink eye" from some kid's parents. The rules are posted and need to be followed. There are other pools where children are welcomed and that's where the children should be if they want to use a pool.

You're correct about the sign. Although it's designated as an adult pool it does state that children are allowed with supervision. :confused: I've see the sign many time & have wondered about it's intent but have never see kids in the pool or hot tubs. I can see how people can intrepid the meaning any way they want.

Fully agree.

I don't really use the pools but if I was in the adult only pool I would certainly be "the guy" who pointed out the sign and told the children to leave the pool. I raised 3 kids of my own, had an "extra" kid all through his teens, and my wife ran an in-home daycare for 20 years. I actually worked full time with her for 4.5 of those years.

There is NO reason for children to be out of control or to be allowed to break the rules. Period. Children can be taught to act like human beings and, if you teach them how to behave properly at an early age, it can last throughout a lifetime.

I know people who have children who "ran the place" and absolutely everybody else I know despised those children. They were horrible kids and guess what kind of adults they grew into? People liked my children. We were often complimented by people we knew as well as by school staff and staff in restaurants. Kindergarten teachers absolutely loved having kids who had been with my wife because they already knew how to behave like nice people. It isn't hard to teach children to behave properly in public or in private. Children have a great capacity for learning but they need guidance. It really helps if you set an example for them to follow...

I wouldn't be at all worried about getting "the stink eye" from some kid's parents. The rules are posted and need to be followed. There are other pools where children are welcomed and that's where the children should be if they want to use a pool.

I totally agree, Thrak, that children can and should be taught how to behave and to follow rules. Parents do their children no favors by allowing them to do whatever they want, whenever they want. I have no problem telling kids to get out of the pool, to stop running or to get to the back of the line.