If you could add one item to a cruise menu what would it be?

pupidda11103

another vote for raw oysters. I know you may not be able to offer them for the entire duration of a cruise, but just having them available for the early part would be fine. When they are gone, they are gone.

I'd love to see fois gras as well. Yum, yum, yum.

Deep fried hush-puppies

(for those of you who dont know who they are, they are kinda like fried cornbread but sweeter and have ral corn kernals in them than covered in powder sugar)

If you come to the south, you won't find any of our hushpuppies filled with corn or rolled in sugar... must be a northerner version of our southern cornbread ;) ! I've had cornbread pones with corn kernels or cracklin' added but never rolled in sugar. Down here, hushpuppies are traditionally just fried cornbread balls or 'fingers' with sometimes a tad of sugar added and always served with pork BBQ platters or fried seafood.

As for my food wishes... coffee creme brulee, higher quality sauces with the entrees and stronger coffee (available 24 hours)! Just once, I'd like to cruise without a coffee pot, 2 bags of coffee and 10 cans of evaporated milk in tow!

MerryWidow, I'm on the same page when it comes to hushpuppies. I am a southern girl, and wouldn't think about eating sweet, hushpuppies. Corn is out but onions in those puppies are a necessity. Oh, the food that I'd like to see and eat more of while on a cruise is non-chocolate cake. I LOVE vanilla, non-bakery tasting cake. YUM!

• 2 weeks later...

yup, I dunno if I'm spelling it right but basically it's italian dough fried in oil and then covered with powdered sugar...SOOO GOOOD...and so bad for you, I'm sure. While they're at it they should have fried oreos on the ship as well! LoL

Foie Gras, served either hot, or as a nice chilled terrine and served with brioche points would make me very happy. Also, I would like more freshly sliced Prosciutto or Serrano, the real stuff not some cryovaced version from Uzbekistan.

Well seasoned braised foods -- ragus, stews, etc. that are too time consuming for most home cooks, but improve by sitting on a warm burner in the kitchen for hours and do not need to be served piping hot. My thoughts

* a hunter's stew made with root vegetables and venison

* braised rabbit with fennel in a port wine reduction

* Belgian stew made with beef, beer and prunes

* braised pork and sausage served over saurkeraut (there are Polish and Alsacian versions of this dish)

* pan roast of oysters

Fried foods are not a good choice for banquet style service -- everything cools off and is no longer crisp by the time it reaches the dining room. A tip: order fried foods in a dining room at lunchtime when most food is cooked to order and there aren't that many people eating food ordered off the menu.

Green vegetables! I have yet to be on a cruise where green vegetables are more than an afterthought.

I would love steamed crab legs that are split down the middle so they are easier to eat. We did have that on Holland America once. I also would like a chocolate fondue, chocolate souffle or flourless chocolate cake.

We have had split crab legs and chocolate souffle on Princess ships.....

• 3 weeks later...

For all of you out there looking for the crab legs, good lobster and other seafood items; try out Princess. They have a lot of these items on their menu. Here is a great link of menus that were scanned, check them out.

http://grafx.freeservers.com/cruise/cruise.htm

For my choices, I would say sticky buns, the greasy pub food, some mexican food (even though my next cruise is to mexico, so I am sure I will get that in port), real Maryland crab cakes, homestyle foods (fried chicken, meatloaf, baked sweet potato, baby back ribs, onion loaf). I know these are not fancy enough for the dining room; but offered on the buffet, room service or in one of the pub areas would be nice. Also, love the perogi and season themed dessert ideas!!! :D

Well seasoned braised foods -- ragus, stews, etc. that are too time consuming for most home cooks, but improve by sitting on a warm burner in the kitchen for hours and do not need to be served piping hot. My thoughts

* a hunter's stew made with root vegetables and venison

* braised rabbit with fennel in a port wine reduction

* Belgian stew made with beef, beer and prunes

* braised pork and sausage served over saurkeraut (there are Polish and Alsacian versions of this dish)

* pan roast of oysters

Fried foods are not a good choice for banquet style service -- everything cools off and is no longer crisp by the time it reaches the dining room. A tip: order fried foods in a dining room at lunchtime when most food is cooked to order and there aren't that many people eating food ordered off the menu.

Green vegetables! I have yet to be on a cruise where green vegetables are more than an afterthought.

Your thoughts sound fabulous to me! I could eat any of them, i am drooling now!

I am a little worried about the green veg now, we love our green veg with most meals, maybe I'll have to request extra sides?

• 4 weeks later...
Being from the Southwest we usually start craving Mexican food during the cruise. How about a themed Mexican food night with free Margarita's!

There is a Midnight Mexican Buffet poolside on the Monarch of the Seas sailing out of LA with a fun dancing disco party!:cool:

Archived