New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

50 minutes ago, richstowe said:

But does that money go to the general tip fund or specific individuals . Not that it's a problem either way .

I was told if we put in the individual's name it would go to that person 100%.

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yep, I've defaulted to that (or tried to) a couple times in the past. I'm not a coffee drinker, so even the faint remnant of a coffee taste can be detected that way - without multiple flushes and such.

THANKS 🙂

Tom

One tip (my wife objects to even the faintest taste of coffee in some VERY mild teas she likes to drink), first put a cup of white vinegar through, then flush with water 3 times.  Works like a champ.  Although on ship that might not be so doable.  🙂

-gregma

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregma60 said:

One tip (my wife objects to even the faintest taste of coffee in some VERY mild teas she likes to drink), first put a cup of white vinegar through, then flush with water 3 times.  Works like a champ.  Although on ship that might not be so doable.  🙂

-gregma

I'm sure the galley must have white vinegar. Just ask for some from there, then proceed with your procedure as described. 

It's amazing what the ship will provide if you just ask for it. I ran out of bath powder one time, so asked for corn starch (an ingredient in bath powder). Got all I needed! 
Posters recommend bringing some duct tape all the time! I bet the ship has enough to give some away should the need arise. 

10 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

Does HAL give us any type of tote bag to take to the pool, etc. or should we plan on bringing one from home?

There is one tote bag provided free in each stateroom. It can hold towels and other pool/beach items. It's no longer cloth though.

• Like 1

Just now, Cruise Suzy said:

There is one tote bag provided free in each stateroom. It can hold towels and other pool/beach items. It's no longer cloth though.

Thank you.  Will miss the wonderful cloth bags but, better than nothing!

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Thanks!

Hopefully a kettle can be located on the ship (for in cabin use). I'm probably not going to trek from deck 4 aft to the Neptune lounge for hot water for my iced tea, lol.

Tom

Can we just order hot water and/or tea from room service?

Is room service available at no-extra-charge on HAL these days?

44 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Can we just order hot water and/or tea from room service?

Is room service available at no-extra-charge on HAL these days?

Sure - if I want to place an order and then wait for it, and hope it's hot enough.  🙂

Tom

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 10:44 AM, sojodave said:

We booked a Mediterranean cruise on the Oosterdam for April of 2024.  My wife selected room 8030 which is right below the gym on the port side.  Does anyone know if that would be too noisy under the gym?

Your mileage may vary on this, and it wasn't on the Oosterdam, but we've had a cabin below the gym and never heard a thing. The only place I wouldn't book is below the hydro pool. You're not under that.

• Like 1

Hello! We have not sail for 4-5 years and even then never on HAL so I have a few questions about MDR. We are planning Alaska this summer on the Westerdam.

1. Is there restriction on how many app/soup you can order. Sometimes we would like to order extra app to share just to try something. Is it allowed?  Extra charge or not?

2. Same about entry ( very rare but could happen)

3. Does HAL have cheese plate in MDR? Does they count it as app or desert? Can I just ask for one to go? If MDR does not have it is there ‘create my own’ option to grab it from Lido?

4. Is taking food from Lido back to the cabin OK or not? I know I can order room service but sometimes I just like to grab a few things from Lido and bring them to my room.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, iaae22 said:

Hello! We have not sail for 4-5 years and even then never on HAL so I have a few questions about MDR. We are planning Alaska this summer on the Westerdam.

1. Is there restriction on how many app/soup you can order. Sometimes we would like to order extra app to share just to try something. Is it allowed?  Extra charge or not?

3. Does HAL have cheese plate in MDR? Does they count it as app or desert? Can I just ask for one to go? If MDR does not have it is there ‘create my own’ option to grab it from Lido?

4. Is taking food from Lido back to the cabin OK or not? I know I can order room service but sometimes I just like to grab a few things from Lido and bring them to my room.

Thanks!

We did the same cruise on that ship a few years ago.  I don't recall any restrictions food wise.  We would take a few snacks from the Lido to the room.  Soup and appetizers are available if you ask for them, we were never charged extra for any of that.  Not sure if they have a cheese plate but if you ask for one I'm sure they will accommodate you.  Same with extra entree, just ask and you shall receive

We are doing the Grand SA and A cruise this October.  I feel that paying for daily laundry will be very expensive so I am thinking about just doing a bag as needed.  I have read great things about the quality and care of HAL laundry.  My question is: can I put some items into multiple plastic bags and include instructions for each bag, ie cold wash, hang dry; cold wash, low heat; etc?  I would then place these bags into the HAL laundry bag and send it out, Or will it be too confusing for the laundry employees?

20 minutes ago, iaae22 said:

Not a problem, we do it all the time. Also HAL does not charge for room service (yet) and you can order from the MDR menu for dinner in your cabin,

On 3/22/2023 at 6:47 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

(black tea ----  200+ degrees)

The only place to get tea-hot water is at one of the premium coffee cafes.  I get mine at explorations cafe.  If is free of charge.  

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The only place to get tea-hot water is at one of the premium coffee cafes.  I get mine at explorations cafe.  If is free of charge.  

THANKS

Is there usually a line there, or do they have self-serve hot water dispensers?

Tom

(again, this is one of those things where it would be nice to be able to reach out pre-cruise... to have a kettle in our cabin)

42 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

(again, this is one of those things where it would be nice to be able to reach out pre-cruise... to have a kettle in our cabin)

If they think a kettle could start a fire, you won't be allowed to have one in your cabin.  At every safety and lifeboat drill I've ever attended, they always say "Fire is the greatest hazard at sea".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

If they think a kettle could start a fire, you won't be allowed to have one in your cabin.  At every safety and lifeboat drill I've ever attended, they always say "Fire is the greatest hazard at sea".

Yes, while that is true (fire is the greatest hazard at sea... along with icebergs and torpedo's, lol), if kettles were truly a hazard, I would not be able to get them on other lines. The only recent fire onboard cruise ships was, from what I can recall, due to a cigarette on a balcony?

Previously I read that UK sailings have kettles in the rooms on HAL... or was that on MSC... either way, yes, if that's their "reason", that's that!

Thanks 🙂 

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

THANKS

Is there usually a line there, or do they have self-serve hot water dispensers?

Tom

There are lines occasionally, it would be a great suggestion that they have a self service spigot but now they don’t. 

as to kettles, it seems Nespresso machines are safe enough for neptunes, I guess the rest of us are considered incompetent at operating a kettle or coffee machine.   Come on HAL, auto-shut off appliances have been available for at least 30 years 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, crusin'k said:

We are doing the Grand SA and A cruise this October.  I feel that paying for daily laundry will be very expensive so I am thinking about just doing a bag as needed.  I have read great things about the quality and care of HAL laundry.  My question is: can I put some items into multiple plastic bags and include instructions for each bag, ie cold wash, hang dry; cold wash, low heat; etc?  I would then place these bags into the HAL laundry bag and send it out, Or will it be too confusing for the laundry employees?

First of all they are very good about minding the washing instructions on garments. I've never had merino wool shrunk or damage to floofy evening blouses.

You have to itemize each piece of clothing you put in the bag, whether you're paying by the bag, the piece or the package. Laundry_Sept2017_NECAN-1024x768.jpg While there's not much space I've have written "Please line dry" next to an item on the list and as far as I can tell, it has been honoured. I suppose you could also add a post-it with additional instructions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iaae22 said:

Thanks!

Just leaving HAL. Noordam today after a great NZ cruise. Room service is free and very efficient. Many people take food and drinks from the Lido or bars back to their rooms. No charge for extra appetisers in the Mdr,  but in speciality restaurants there is a charge. Pinnacle Grill charges $15.

You can make a DIY plate of cheeses and dried fruits in the Lido and take it anywhere, your room or to a bar.

20 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

I've been trying to get the Holland America app but the google play store says it won't run on my phone (android).  Is this a common problem?

That seems strange - is yours an older version of Android? Try uninstalling and reinstalling it (if you haven't already). 

I guess I can try downloading it now (Pixel 6 Pro) and see what happens !

EDIT/UPDATE --- seems to work!

i-TrDbqwP-S.png

• Like 1