New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

6 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I wanted to make sure I don't get locked into dealing with Costco exclusively.

You will be for things that impact the actual cruise fare such as cabin changes & booking payments, but excursions/dining/spa are "add-ons" that you can do yourself.

Enjoy!!

1 hour ago, GreenDice said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I wanted to make sure I don't get locked into dealing with Costco exclusively.

You will have to go through them for some things like price adjustments or changing your cabin.

With my Costco booking, I have so far booked speciality dining, excursions, pre-stay hotel in Vancouver all directly through Holland America.  One thing.   Even though they might say you can add HA insurance through HA, do NOT do this!  I almost lost mine doing that.  Thankfully Costco took care of all of that and got the insurance back for us.

-gregma

1 hour ago, gregma60 said:

With my Costco booking, I have so far booked speciality dining, excursions, pre-stay hotel in Vancouver all directly through Holland America.  One thing.   Even though they might say you can add HA insurance through HA, do NOT do this!  I almost lost mine doing that.  Thankfully Costco took care of all of that and got the insurance back for us.

-gregma

👍good to know

• Like 1

We've only been on a few cruises (and one Holland cruise about 5 years ago.)  We got a very nice price offer for the upcoming 11-night Adriatic cruise in October/November.  I decided to purchase the Thermal Suite package for $149.  In looking around on the CC boards, I noticed that it looks like this cruise at one point in the past was selling as a 7-night cruise, cancelled and then put back as an 11-night cruise.  I then went back to the Thermal Suite package I purchased and it says it is a 7 day cruise pass.

So does that mean I will only be able to use the Thermal pass for 7 days in total and I get to pick them or do they pick the days?  How does that work?  Or did they just forget to update and I'll get some type of email from them cancelling my purchase and telling me that I have to repurchase at a higher price?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, hhoope01 said:

We've only been on a few cruises (and one Holland cruise about 5 years ago.)  We got a very nice price offer for the upcoming 11-night Adriatic cruise in October/November.  I decided to purchase the Thermal Suite package for $149.  In looking around on the CC boards, I noticed that it looks like this cruise at one point in the past was selling as a 7-night cruise, cancelled and then put back as an 11-night cruise.  I then went back to the Thermal Suite package I purchased and it says it is a 7 day cruise pass.

So does that mean I will only be able to use the Thermal pass for 7 days in total and I get to pick them or do they pick the days?  How does that work?  Or did they just forget to update and I'll get some type of email from them cancelling my purchase and telling me that I have to repurchase at a higher price?

Thanks.

You will most likely receive a cancel notice, but if you don't the spa will update your purchase when you go to get your sticker. It will be for 11 days, you won't get 7. I think Marketing has just gotten around to updating it. We are also on the new 11 day, formerly 7 day - maybe we'll see you!!

Edited by Haljo1935

On 4/12/2023 at 3:34 AM, hhoope01 said:

Thanks for your thoughts on it.  I guess all I can do is wait to see what they end up doing.  

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to say hi while on the cruise.  👍

You can also call now and have it updated.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We will be sailing on NS in June which is our first time on HAL. Have cruised before on Azamara, Celebrity, Cunard, RC, Seabourn and Star Clippers. 

We are being offered the Have it All package with the signature beverage package as an extra for EUR45 a day each which seems to be a good deal. However, we like nicer wines and we tend to have a lot of non-alcoholic drinks (Perrier etc)/speciality coffees(usually 3 before lunch)/juices during the day so find the 15 drink limit challenging. We will probably use the speciality restaurants anyway with WI-FI (on sea days) and excursion credit a bonus. 

Can we upgrade from Have it All to the elite package? If so what is the cost and the process? Before or on board. Is it easy to do?

Our alternative is to just get the Elite package (more expensive than ‘have it all’) and book our Speciality separately before getting on board.  

We got a good flash offer so happy to spend extra to enhance the experience - laundry etc. We value convenience and lack of worry on board. 

Edited by Happydays2024
Typo

4 hours ago, Happydays2024 said:

Hi,

We will be sailing on NS in June which is our first time on HAL. Have cruised before on Azamara, Celebrity, Cunard, RC, Seabourn and Star Clippers. 

We are being offered the Have it All package with the signature beverage package as an extra for EUR45 a day each which seems to be a good deal. However, we like nicer wines and we tend to have a lot of non-alcoholic drinks (Perrier etc)/speciality coffees(usually 3 before lunch)/juices during the day so find the 15 drink limit challenging. We will probably use the speciality restaurants anyway with WI-FI (on sea days) and excursion credit a bonus. 

Can we upgrade from Have it All to the elite package? If so what is the cost and the process? Before or on board. Is it easy to do?

Our alternative is to just get the Elite package (more expensive than ‘have it all’) and book our Speciality separately before getting on board.  

We got a good flash offer so happy to spend extra to enhance the experience - laundry etc. We value convenience and lack of worry on board. 

Another alternative to getting the elite package is to buy a wine package on top of Have It All which means wines we like, and/or using a beverage card for off package purchases of water etc.  On the latter, can unused credit be applied to the on board bill? 

Hello,

Active traveler, but new to cruising. Was on Cunard QE2 transatlantic 30 years ago. This board is very helpful but a bit overwhelming to a newbie like me.

We are interested in joining family for a cruise this August on the Nieuw Statendam but have a number of questions:

1) When is the ideal time to purchase on HAL for lowest cost and max benefits? We are close to the 90-day to check-in mark but haven't purchased yet because everything is "non-refundable." Is it better to buy now before 90 days? or wait for last minute deals? If last minute, when is the ideal time and where to look?

2) Room placement on Niew Statendam. We are considering a balcony room since this is a fjord cruise but may opt for OV depending on the price and placement. We would like a room near the aft half of the ship to have the most stability and reduce sea-sickness risk.  Our family is on the Main Deck with an OV room. Which decks are the best? I want to avoid being under or close to the noisy pool and other noisy areas such as smoking areas.

3) What other costs should we be aware of on top of stateroom that could significantly add to the cost of the cruise?  We fly on points so airfare and positioning hotels are not a problem.

TIA for your responses.

Edited by LivetoTravel88

14 minutes ago, LivetoTravel88 said:

We are close to the 90-day to check-in mark but haven't purchased yet because everything is "non-refundable."

Since your family already has a booking #, perhaps request their TA/PCC information, call into HAL, or have a Personal Cruise Consultant contact you for assistance.  There are refundable options which cost a little more.   If you’re within the final payment date the fares will be non-refundable but are likely to be lower.

Other costs include taxes and port expenses (you can see those in the fine print) as well as the $16/day per person for the Crew Appreciation charges.  (Automatic gratuities)

If you create a Create a Holland America Account then look at a particular itinerary, the bot will pick up on that and eventually/usually send you an email within a day or two.  Within that email will be the name and contact information for the PCC assigned to you.

Welcome to Holland America!

• Like 2

Welcome @LivetoTravel88! Miss G answered your first question vey well, so I'll go to #2 - aft is great not only for stability but also for views. Best deck for balconies is 4 Beethoven. If you want a really deep balcony, book aft on the side, if the view is most important, book true aft (wake view); any deck is good for true aft view, but lower is better if you're looking to minimize noise and possible cig smoke; lower also better if there's a chance of fog (which does occur in fjords) - higher balconies may have fog while lower decks have clear view.

Question 3 - in addition to what Miss G mentioned, you'll also want to consider alcohol/premium coffee/sodas/etc if you don't purchase a drink package (we never put define package as it is less expensive for us to pay as we go - even w/coffee, etc we don't get close to 15 drinks/day), specialty dining and laundry as well as supplemental tips, if you do that.

Enjoy your cruise - fjords are lovely viewing on the balcony!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Quick question that a search didn't give me a clear cut answer on. 

Like Celebrity, when we board, can we drop our carry ons off at the cabin?

Yes, generally cabins are available upon boarding.  I'm not sure how they do it so quickly.

• Like 1

Questions about B2B:

We’re booked on a 14-day sailing on the Rotterdam May/June 2024. We didn’t realize at time of booking, but this is actually a B2B.

What can we expect on the turnover day?

1. Will there be shore excursions we can sign up for in the port? (The port is Rotterdam.)

2. How will this impact dining? We signed up for Club Orange, if that makes a difference. We’re not in a suite, and I’m guessing we will still be one-star mariners.
3. If we leave the ship on our own, will we have to join the throngs of new cruisers to get back onboard? Will I need to get my passport out of the safe?
4. Will areas of the ship be off-limits or non-operational during times in the day? I.E., the spa, the cafe, the gym, the buffet? Will we find ourselves unable to get back to our room?

Any other weird quirks I haven’t thought of?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SuzWillCruise said:

Questions about B2B:

We’re booked on a 14-day sailing on the Rotterdam May/June 2024. We didn’t realize at time of booking, but this is actually a B2B.

1. Will there be shore excursions we can sign up for in the port? (The port is Rotterdam.)

2. How will this impact dining? We signed up for Club Orange, if that makes a difference. We’re not in a suite, and I’m guessing we will still be one-star mariners.
3. If we leave the ship on our own, will we have to join the throngs of new cruisers to get back onboard? Will I need to get my passport out of the safe?
4. Will areas of the ship be off-limits or non-operational during times in the day? I.E., the spa, the cafe, the gym, the buffet? Will we find ourselves unable to get back to our room?

Thanks!

1.  Yes.  There will be shore excursions

2.  No impact on dining

3.  You will have an "in transit" card with you when you leave the ship that will bypass all lines except the Security screening.  Should not need passport but read your B2B instructions to be sure.

4.  Some areas will be just the same as your original boarding.  If you choose to stay onboard, you will leave the ship for about 30 minutes and then be allowed to return to the ship/room.  The spa will be closed as they sell there services to incoming guests.  Everything else will be open.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SuzWillCruise said:

There will be shore excursions through HAL just make sure they are not ones that end at the airport. Also you can do private excursion with 3rd party vendors like Viator and Tours by Locals.

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

If you choose to stay onboard, you will leave the ship for about 30 minutes and then be allowed to return to the ship/room. 

Highly unlikely, since your turnaround port is Rotterdam. It will be treated like any other port day where you are free to come or go as you please. 
What is your last previous port? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SuzWillCruise said:

Questions about B2B:

Thanks!

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

Highly unlikely, since your turnaround port is Rotterdam. It will be treated like any other port day where you are free to come or go as you please. 
What is your last previous port? 

Our previous port will be Bergen Norway on Thursday, at sea Friday, and then Saturday is turnover day. (Is that the correct term? My only other 14 day cruise was  14 days for all passengers, a Journey cruise on Carnival in late 2019. )