New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

MDR is open Embark Day, usually 12 - 1:30. 20231029_121130.thumb.jpg.a13464a763c3f5e28e4068db3f384ad5.jpg

Thanks so much!

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

But the lunch hours are very limited from noon to 1:30pm generally.

Thanks for the information and clarification. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, BHCC said:

Question.  Is the Main Dining Room open on embarkation day for lunch?  Or is the buffet the only option?  Thanks!

If you are sailing on the Koningsdam, there are many free options for lunch:  Grand Dutch Cafe, NY Deli & Pizza (overlooking the indoor pool on Deck 10), Dive In (next to the indoor pool on Deck 9, Lido Market Buffet (Deck 9), and the MDR (limited hours).

The link in the lower right corner of my signature has most of the current dining menus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

If you are sailing on the Koningsdam, there are many free options for lunch:  Grand Dutch Cafe, NY Deli & Pizza (overlooking the indoor pool on Deck 10), Dive In (next to the indoor pool on Deck 9, Lido Market Buffet (Deck 9), and the MDR (limited hours).

The link in the lower right corner of my signature has most of the current dining menus.

Thanks so much!

Hello, 

First time cruising with Holland coming up next week. I joined a previously booked group two months out before voyage. My passport expires end of March, does anyone think I will have trouble given the expiration date is not 6 months out for end of cruise ? I wanted to have it renewed but didn't want to chance not having it back before voyage. 

This is an "end to end" cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and my understanding is it is "recommended" your passport be valid for 6 months after the end of your cruise, but I did not see anything that says it will be required. I will have 3 months left on it. 

Taking the 10-Day Southern Caribbean Seafarer Holiday. Do you expect I will have any issues boarding or at ports of call? Our travel agent was not much help providing a firm answer and Holland directed us to their third party visa company, but I do not think any of the stops require them in advance.  

Any info/knowledge is appreciated. Newbie here but excited to hopefully cruise. 

23 minutes ago, Susanmaz said:

Rules are that your passport must be valid 6 months after return. You will be denied boarding and if you flying, you cannot fly with the passport. You will need to look at expediting your renewal.

I don't think that's true. I believe this closed loop cruise can be done with just a birth certificate and a driver's license. Not something that is generally recommended but doable.

Coming from Alaska ,going to Fort Lauderdale, a passport is not required unless you stop in Canada.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Susanmaz said:

Rules are that your passport must be valid 6 months after return. You will be denied boarding and if you flying, you cannot fly with the passport. You will need to look at expediting your renewal.

I'm not sure this is true. The rules are different for different situations. I think the question comes from an Alaska resident, I assume an American. So if he's flying within the US no passport is required. Also not all destinations have the 6 month requirement.

Being Canadian I'm not sure of the "rules" for Americans on "closed loop" cruises. One thing is certain the renewal won't be "expedited" by next week and a valid passport with a short expiry is better than no passport at all.

I would suggest that @akcruiser21 should get in touch with the appropriate agencies to get something more than our opinions from CC.

• Like 3

@akcruiser21

Closed loop cruise:

The U.S. Customs & Border Protection agency states that if you're cruising without a passport, you'll need proof of identity and U.S. citizenship in the form of a state-issued birth certificate. It also requires a government-issued driver's license or a photo ID with your name and date of birth.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, akcruiser21 said:

Taking the 10-Day Southern Caribbean Seafarer Holiday. Do you expect I will have any issues boarding or at ports of call? Our travel agent was not much help providing a firm answer and Holland directed us to their third party visa company, but I do not think any of the stops require them in advance.  

Any info/knowledge is appreciated. Newbie here but excited to hopefully cruise. 

Do any of the ports on your cruise require a passport for entry and how long do they require it to be valid for?  I see that Bonaire requires US citizens to have a passport valid for the length of stay  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/BonaireSintEustatiusandSaba.html

Rather than relying on our ideas, research all of your ports, as well as re-entry into the US on the US state department website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html

• Like 2

There are two separate factors to consider: the requirements of the cruise line (their ships, their rules) and the requirements of the countries visited during the cruise.

For a closed loop cruise embarking and disembarking at the same US port, HAL does not require a period of validity extending 6 months beyond the termination of the cruise:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S. port are required to have proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S. passport or a government issued birth certificate combined with a government issued photo I.D. Other approved proof of citizenship documents such as a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or certificate of naturalization along with a government-issued photo ID are also acceptable. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries in the Western Hemisphere.

The Turks and Caicos Islands require your passport to have three months validity upon entry. None of the other countries have an extended period of validity requirement. You appear to be safe as you passport will have just over three months left.

This is one on my favourite cruises. I hope that you enjoy it to the fullest!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, islander47 said:

and a dinner suggestion...make a reservation in the MDR. It's always busy the first night. Of course, if you have an assigned time, this is not important.

Would that require making a reservation before boarding?  How can that be done?

21 minutes ago, islander47 said:

and a dinner suggestion...make a reservation in the MDR. It's always busy the first night. Of course, if you have an assigned time, this is not important.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Have an assigned time, but still a very good tip!

12 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Would that require making a reservation before boarding?  How can that be done?

We are going to make ours once we get on board. Pretty sure that if I make a reservation at noon time then I will get something for dinner. 

Hi everyone! New to HAL and just booked our first trip waaayyy in advance. We're thinking about getting the Quench package and I was wondering if we should go ahead and get it now, or if there's any reason to wait. For example, on lines like RCL or Celebrity, we've booked packages and excursions immediately, and then if they ever go on sale, we can always cancel and re-buy at the lower price prior to the cruise date.

Is this also true with HAL? Do they ever have sales like that?

Question - since I saw the comment about dining reservations - our Rotterdam cruise next year is a splurge for us (Pinnacle suite - 40th anniversary). Will there be a concierge available to make reservations for us, and would they need to be done on day 1 as well? My experience on Celebrity (Royal or Penthouse suites) was that you could get in most anywhere "same day", at pretty much whatever time was desired.

Tom

59 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Question - since I saw the comment about dining reservations - our Rotterdam cruise next year is a splurge for us (Pinnacle suite - 40th anniversary). Will there be a concierge available to make reservations for us, and would they need to be done on day 1 as well? My experience on Celebrity (Royal or Penthouse suites) was that you could get in most anywhere "same day", at pretty much whatever time was desired.

Tom

Congrats on the anniversary and securing the PS!!

My experience from a Neptune Suite sailing is Concierge is generally able to book same day reservations, no need to do them all at once, early on. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I am booked for Pinnacle Grill on Nieuw Statendam for an upcoming cruise. Looking at the sample menu, under Choice of Sides I see a note of "$10 supplement".  Are they really charging an additional fee on top of the $54.28 for sides !?  I could order multiple appetizers and entrees without being charged more?....Seems like it would make sense to have the sides  included to fill people up.  I suppose the charge for sides is common in most steakhouses though...

I normally cruise with Virgin and I am excited to try out HAL, but have gotten used to Virgin's "Specialty Dining" being included in the fare and definitely less upcharges overall. 

45 minutes ago, akcruiser21 said:

I am booked for Pinnacle Grill on Nieuw Statendam for an upcoming cruise. Looking at the sample menu, under Choice of Sides I see a note of "$10 supplement".  Are they really charging an additional fee on top of the $54.28 for sides !?  I could order multiple appetizers and entrees without being charged more?....Seems like it would make sense to have the sides  included to fill people up.  I suppose the charge for sides is common in most steakhouses though...

I normally cruise with Virgin and I am excited to try out HAL, but have gotten used to Virgin's "Specialty Dining" being included in the fare and definitely less upcharges overall. 

I am not sure which menu you are viewing.  There are certain items which do carry a supplement for example lobster tail

1 hour ago, akcruiser21 said:

Yes, there is a $10 supplement. for the Lobster Mac & Cheese on the PG menu. That is the only side with a surcharge. As @Mary229 noted there is also a $10 charge to add a lobster tail to a steak.

Edited by Sea42