New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

5 hours ago, richstowe said:

We were just in a cabin directly below the Lido  buffet. This was the cabin assigned to us as we booked a balcony guarantee. We were needlessly worried. It was great. This was on the Caribbean Princess but I'm sure it's not so different then on HAL. Food was always just a few steps away.😁

Apples and oranges comparing Princess ship configurations to HAL's.

3 hours ago, sofienummer said:

Since I'm from the EU, I have an internet 'subscription' with my mobile provider which allows for the same costs all through European countries. If you arrive at a port in Norway, how do you know you are using internet/4G from the country or you are still connected to sea internet? 

I'm not an expert on this, but there is a specific forum for asking technical questions about internet and phones on cruises.  If you scroll down the CC forums list, you will come to it, so ask there.

Hi, I was just looking at the Holland America website just now to look at the details of my upcoming cruise, and everything has disappeared - my upcoming cruise and past cruises, my Mariner Society details, etc. Does this happen from time to time, and then return with all the correct info? Thanks.

What are your opinions on booking a cabana for the cruise of nieuw statendam for december cruise to southern caribbean?  Also if we do would you choose a cabin on deck 10 or 11 with smaller balcony or choose cabin on deck 4 with large balcony? or pick one in the middle decks?  Also opinions on week pass for spa.  main dining room vs specialty? Anyone ever done the wine making onboard, my husband and I love wine.  just looking for advice on how to make this cruise special.

2 hours ago, mysweetsmile03 said:

What are your opinions on booking a cabana for the cruise of nieuw statendam for december cruise to southern caribbean?  Also if we do would you choose a cabin on deck 10 or 11 with smaller balcony or choose cabin on deck 4 with large balcony? or pick one in the middle decks?  Also opinions on week pass for spa.  main dining room vs specialty? Anyone ever done the wine making onboard, my husband and I love wine.  just looking for advice on how to make this cruise special.

We've never done the wine making onboard, but have thoroughly enjoyed several wine tasting events on several different cruises.

17 hours ago, sofienummer said:

Hi everyone,

Just booked my first cruise on the Hal Rotterdam to Norway🙂 I already have a few questions I hope someone could answer.

[snip]

Sorry for all my questions and thank you in advance for those kind enough to respond 🙂 

Those are all good questions. I think you will get plenty of responses if you post each question separately in the main HAL forum. The Cruise Critic format makes it difficult to respond to a post with multiple questions, since that post is intermingled with other unrelated posts in the thread. Everybody is eager to share what they know; you just have to make it easy for them to do so!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, we are booking our first transatlantic for next October 7 on the Rotterdam. Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale. I was hoping someone could shed some light on veranda cabins. We are considering deck 8 midship, port side or deck 4 aft with extended balcony also port. Is there a difference in sides (port or starboard) or in decks when you are on a transatlantic? We like the sun so we were thinking port would be south facing on the crossing. Any suggestions would be welcome.Thanks,

8 minutes ago, pdanza22 said:

Hi, we are booking our first transatlantic for next October 7 on the Rotterdam. Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale. I was hoping someone could shed some light on veranda cabins. We are considering deck 8 midship, port side or deck 4 aft with extended balcony also port. Is there a difference in sides (port or starboard) or in decks when you are on a transatlantic? We like the sun so we were thinking port would be south facing on the crossing. Any suggestions would be welcome.Thanks,

You are more likely to get the sun on the port side for this crossing.  I don't like aft cabins due to vibration (fussy).  Also, being amidships will be a little better if you run i to bad weather... won't pitch and heave as much.

• Like 1

First cruise on HAL coming up end of November!

Are the refrigerators on HAL ships (specifically Konigsdam, if it matters) actual refrigerators, or are they more of a 'cooler' where they will stay cool if you place an ice bucket in them?  I've read about that (although never actually done it) on other lines' boards.

An actual fridge might come in handy, although it's not a must-have.

Thank you!

On 9/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, '51 Pinot said:

Are you speaking of the aft portion below the pool? Or are you categorically denying all cabins below the Lido area. We were almost amidship below the Lido and loved our situation. Being a very light sleeper it was perfectly quiet. And it was easy to pop upstairs for breakfast in our PJs. We never heard any noise at all. Never say never.

You go to the Lido in your PJs????? 

Do you also go to breakfast in the restaurant/communal breakfast area at a hotel?

I hope you don't wear the same type of PJs that I do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, tensixmom said:

Are the refrigerators on HAL ships (specifically Konigsdam, if it matters) actual refrigerators, or are they more of a 'cooler' where they will stay cool if you place an ice bucket in them?  I've read about that (although never actually done it) on other lines' boards.

Thank you!

They are coolers not refrigerators.

6 hours ago, Nang said:

You go to the Lido in your PJs????? 

Do you also go to breakfast in the restaurant/communal breakfast area at a hotel?

I hope you don't wear the same type of PJs that I do.

Don't actually wear PJs. Or even have a pair. 😄 More like a track suit to breakfast. 

I shudder when I see what some people wear at dinner in the Main Dining Room.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tensixmom said:

Thank you!

We are just off the Koningsdam and the fridge kept our water super cold!!  I was impressed.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:51 AM, pdanza22 said:

We took a verandah on the starboard side so I could maintain a cool room for sleeping.  A cabana in The Retreat took care of our sun fix.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:50 PM, dropframe said:

Wine Packages 

HAL offers Wine Packages for purchase pre-cruise. Are these same packages available after we board. Are prices higher, lower or the same after you board? Do they have special offers ever? How much do you on average save buying the package as compared to individual bottle purchases?

The prices are the same after you board.  The nice thing about ordering them onboard is that you can get recommendations or ask for a taste so you can choose which package suits you better.  You’ll also find out if they still have the specified wine or if they’ve had to substitute.

On 9/10/2022 at 6:09 PM, sofienummer said:

Hi everyone,

Just booked my first cruise on the Hal Rotterdam to Norway🙂 I already have a few questions I hope someone could answer.

First of all, can you keep your luggage/suitcase with you as you embark? Or don't they allow this bc of the crowds? 

- Your luggage must be small enough to be lifted onto the security scanner as well as fit through it.  If the answer is no to either of those cautions then you can’t keep it with you.

Since this is a American cruise line, will it have the US socket/outlets? Or also the 'European'?

- There will be both.

Since I'm from the EU, I have an internet 'subscription' with my mobile provider which allows for the same costs all through European countries. If you arrive at a port in Norway, how do you know you are using internet/4G from the country or you are still connected to sea internet? 

I hope this question makes sense... 

- The Cellular at Sea service will disconnect in port.  If you see that instead of 4G, etc, then you will know you do not have land-based service.

I didn't buy a drink package because I only drink water and tea, but I was wondering what drinks are included on the cruise and more specifically in which areas? Can you drink water at the main dining room? Or, if that's the only thing you drink, do you need to pay for bottled water? 

- Water, tea, coffee, juice, lemonade, iced tea, white & chocolate milk are all included.  These are also included free of charge with room service.

Sorry, but I had to answer all your questions within your post.  You will need to expand it in order to see them.  Welcome to Holland America!

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, Mary229 said:

They are coolers not refrigerators.

There was an earlier question about needing to add ice to a cooler to keep items cold. In this sense, the units in the cabins are not coolers. Perhaps they could be classified as a “chiller” instead of refrig? I’ve had great luck adjusting the temp dial to keep things quite cold. But they definitely don’t keep food at a very low temp for long periods of time like a full size refrig.

2 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

There was an earlier question about needing to add ice to a cooler to keep items cold. In this sense, the units in the cabins are not coolers. Perhaps they could be classified as a “chiller” instead of refrig? I’ve had great luck adjusting the temp dial to keep things quite cold. But they definitely don’t keep food at a very low temp for long periods of time like a full size refrig.

Coolers threw me off too.  I am not sure what should be the terminology but what we know is they are not cool enough for medical storage

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Coolers threw me off too.  I am not sure what should be the terminology but what we know is they are not cool enough for medical storage

Agree! That's why I originally wrote " If you have meds that must be kept at a particular temp, you may give them to the medical center"